Old 03-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #155
4 Rivet Member

vintage tow vehicles

I just uploaded a few more pictures of our "new" suburban to the photo area of this forum as requested.

Old 03-02-2006, 06:56 PM   #156
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
It's started so innocently: vintage AS, now vintage tow!!

I'm on the cusp of purchasing a '65 Overlander--my first AS!!

And as usual I'm doing it all backwards--ya know, purchase the AS and then purchase something to tow it with!! (I just couldn't help myself).

Seriously, I do not have a tow vehicle currently. My plan is to purchase a tow vehicle that has that primary purpose--it will not be used as my daily commutation vehicle. So, why not purchase a vintage tow?!

That being said, I've become just infatuated with the concept of using a vintage tow vehicle and I've been looking around and have read this thread with much interest. My concern is that I will towing the AS from the Philly area to FL and back 3 times a year for the next two years (for grad school long weekend residency requirements), not to mention any other traveling I might want to do.

My question is, is a vintage tow vehicle a reasonable choice for that kind of long-distance traveling? And, if so, what type of vehicle would be better able to handle it?

Kathy

Old 03-02-2006, 08:01 PM   #157
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Kathy,

I believe that a vintage tow vehicle is a reasonable choice. I have two, a 1973 Dodge W200 Powerwagon and a 1977 Lincoln Continental. We drove the Lincoln from So Cal to Tampa last year and picked up our new 1954 Double Door Liner and towed it back - 5,605 miles total with absolutely no problems. Like any other tow vehicle, you must make sure that it is in good shape and you will need to add a transmission cooler and perhaps a heavier radiator. The Lincoln has all the comfort you could want as well as the cool factor. The Dodge will go anywhere a newer truck will, but the suspension is very stiff.

Let me know if you need anything else.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2006, 08:22 PM   #158
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Bill, thanks for the feedback. What types of things should i be looking for in a good vintage tow vehicle (engine type, truck/car, 2WD/4WD, etc.) that could tow the Overlander? Are there cars that I should avoid? I think i might want something from the mid 60's (but not sure). I also think I like the look of a vintage pickup, travelall, wagoneer, or something like that. Right now I'm just kind of exploring different vintage car options. Any other advice would be helpful?
Kathy
Old 03-02-2006, 08:47 PM   #159
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
Bill, thanks for the feedback. What types of things should i be looking for in a good vintage tow vehicle (engine type, truck/car, 2WD/4WD, etc.) that could tow the Overlander? Are there cars that I should avoid? I think i might want something from the mid 60's (but not sure). I also think I like the look of a vintage pickup, travelall, wagoneer, or something like that. Right now I'm just kind of exploring different vintage car options. Any other advice would be helpful?
Kathy
Kathy,

The 1965 Overlander has a dry weight of about 4,000 lbs, your gross would be 5,000 to 5,500 lbs. I don't know what you want, but in the 1970's trailers were pulled with cars, mainly the full sized, they had the large engines, up to 500 CI, strong transmissions and large frames (except for Chrysler which mainly used unibody along with the 1960's Lincolns, not that they won't work, just need a good hitch installer). Pickup trucks in the 1970's and earlier were work vehicles with a minimum of creature conforts. My Dodge was top of the line, no power windows, seats or mirrors, but automatic transmission and air conditioning.

Vehicles from the 1960's and earlier will probably need upgrades to the engine, trans and brakes. Some of the Vintage Airstream Club rally reports show vintage tow vehicles also. If you are near Washington DC stop by the Cherry Blossom Rally, I am sure that you will see vintage tow vehicles as well as vintage trailers.

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-04-2006, 05:57 PM   #160
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Travelall--good choice?

Having just purchased a '65 Overlander, I'm now looking around for a cool vintage tow vehicle. I'm leaning towards something like a late 60's early 70's International Harvester Travelall. They have a V8. Would it be able to handle a wet weight of around 5500lbs as a tow? (PS, this vehicle will be used only for towing, but it will need to tow long-distances-1,000 miles one -way and back again-a few times a year). If the Travelall is not a good choice, does any one have any other suggestions for good strong tow vehicle that may have a similar look? I like that early SUV look.

Kathy
Old 03-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #161
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdenault
Having just purchased a '65 Overlander, I'm now looking around for a cool vintage tow vehicle. I'm leaning towards something like a late 60's early 70's International Harvester Travelall. They have a V8. Would it be able to handle a wet weight of around 5500lbs as a tow? (PS, this vehicle will be used only for towing, but it will need to tow long-distances-1,000 miles one -way and back again-a few times a year). If the Travelall is not a good choice, does any one have any other suggestions for good strong tow vehicle that may have a similar look? I like that early SUV look.

Kathy
Kathy,

Rob Baker just purchased an International Travell to restore for his 1958 Sovereign of the Road. If you want the early SUV look about your only choices are the International, Suburban or Full Size Jeep Wagoneer or if you can find a Dodge Carryall (very scarce).

Bill
Just my personal opinion

Old 03-04-2006, 07:04 PM   #162
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
I am willing to bet that you could buy this if it was something you wanted...

IIRC it is a 1955 Ford C60. It was rebuilt from the ground up a couple years ago as a dedicated tow vehicle. It has a Ford 460cu engine for massive towing power. Though, it is on the other side of the country...
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:21 PM   #163
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
This unit was at the Tin Can Tourist rally I attended last week. I think it is a 1930's era fire engine. It was basicly scrap metal when the owner found it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toefire.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	19003  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 10:59 PM   #164
Moderator dude

1966 26' Overlander
Phoenix , Arizona
Kathy,

Picking up a truck for the era may not provide the ride for you. Yes it will tow. And it may be very uncomfortable for a long tow. Stiff ride, no A/C, no other comforts except may be optional power steering and power brakes and a heater. Seats in general will not be of the comfort level of modern vehicles. You will have to add the FM or anything other sound making device beyond an AM. If the truck in question came with any radio at all. Other truck options for that time - clock, automatic transmission, limited slip rear axle, outside right hand mirror, seat belts. Some earlier vehicles (50's) the turn signal lights were optional.

Unheard of stock accessories for trucks of that era - power windows, power seats, tilt wheel, power door locks, power heated mirrors.

Skip the 4 wheel drive unless you plan on going off roading.

The recreational tow vehicle for the 50's, 60's and most of the 70's was a full sized CAR. Read that as in the station wagon. Want to do it with comfort? Get a luxury vehicle for the era. Caddie, Imperial, or Lincoln.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Action
Old 03-04-2006, 11:24 PM   #165
Rivet Master

68 Travelall, 66 Overlander

Kathy,

Here's a couple pic's of my 68 Travelall and 66 Overlander. Spent most of last winter getting it ready. This winter, I've been working on a 62 Galaxie Conv.. Hope to have it and my 66 Safari ready by Region 2 in Gettysburg, Pa.. Next winter will be the 78 Country Squire. Lucky for me, they all are in pretty good shape. I do think if you plan to use a "vintage" tow, you need to learn basic mechanics up front or you could find yourself sitting on the side of the road over something very simple. You'll also find the people who pull with vintage tows, take a full tool kit and spares. You don't want to be sitting in a town for three days waiting for a part.

Paul Waddell
WBCCI/WDCU/VAC 1270
68 Travelall, 66 Overlander
62 Galaxie, 66 Safari
78 Country Squire, 70 Safari
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	T-all-pink-front.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	268.3 KB
ID:	19004   Click image for larger version

Name:	travelall-front.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	19005  

Old 03-05-2006, 12:09 PM   #166
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1990 34' Excella
Vintage Kin Owner
1975 20' Argosy 20
Upper Black Eddy , PA
Wow!!

Paul,

Your 68 Travelall is amazing! That's the kind of tow vehicle I'm looking for. Do you have any good sources for learning more about the Travelalls and/or ideas as to where to purchase--I keep looking on Ebay, but, you know how that is! Are there any specific modifications that would be necessary to a Travelall to optimize towing ability (clutch, carb, radiator, brakes, etc)? I will need to get someone to do the work for me (I'm a therapist, not a mechanic!); is it difficult to find someone who can do work these vehicles?

Kathy
Old 03-05-2006, 05:03 PM   #167
Rivet Master

Travelall source info

Kathy,A good place to start would be http://www.binderbulletin.org/ There you will find more info than you will ever need to know. They also have a classified section. Just a quick bit of info. The 50's Travelall's are a hard find and when you do they tend to be more work than most would want. 60's era Travelall can be found and in good shape if one looks long and hard enough. Even then, they tend to need paint, interior and gone over from bumper to bumper. Mine, I had to replace/rebuild the trans, brake system, rad., u-joints, carb, fuelpump, waterpump, battery, tires,hitch, carpet, seats, fueltanks, exhuast and one would say it was in great shape when I got it!. 70's era can be found in good shape with little work needed. Most/all Internationals were rust buckets! Mid-West cars tend to be in better shape. Good luck, let me know if I can help in the future.Paul
Old 03-06-2006, 07:32 PM   #168
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Found this in the latest Vancouver, BC Buy and Sell:

1966 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN 327 w auto, Washington state truck, v clean, lwr'd rally whls, new tires, dual exh, nice chrome, three seats, tinted glass, may swap for paint job on other car & cash, $10500 negot.

Tel: 604‑597‑8284

Note, Mel, it states that it's a WA state truck. I do not know if the truck is now in BC or still in WA state. These are sure nice units.

Barry