Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2004, 08:34 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

whats mine?

All these vehicles are great. I figured anyone with a passion for older A/S probably had old cars to go with them.

I have a 51 Ford F-1 with modern drive train. Currently redoing my 1937 Plymouth 2 door sedan, (also modern drive train) would like to get it done for this summer. Also have a 1929 Ford Model 'A' roadster (but I don't think it would be good as a tow vehicle) And I have a 1936 Plymouth 1/2 ton pickup (currently in my garage in about 1000 peices) undergoing resto.(all original)

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:05 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

I think it is nice when a vehicle is matched to the year of the trailer, here is my '72 Caravel with my tow vehicle, the same year LRV. Only problem I had was the electrical connector, NASA's Mil-Spec multi pin connectors are tough to adapt, Had to go to a U-haul in Houston to find one.

It's only 1HP (a 1/4HP motor on each wheel), but the campsites I usually visit have less gravity than most, so the trailer isn't that heavey.

Oh by the way, does anyone know why I cant get the refrigerator to work on propane? It doesn't seem to wanna light... come to think of it, when I was at the site where I snapped this picture I couldn't get the stove to light either.
-Buzz
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	67lrv.jpg
Views:	502
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	4536  
amfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 09:17 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Actually, We have a 1964 International Travelall that is in decent shape. Our Airstream is a 67 Caravel that as of now is completely gutted and hopefully I will be getting started on this year
-AM
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tna.jpg
Views:	529
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	4537  
Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #24

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I love it! My best friend in high school had a Travelall - we had many great adventures in that old thing. Good to see one still on the road - I haven't seen one in years!

In the 68 sales brocure on the VAC site they show a 67 mustang fastback pulling a Caravel. I don't know if a 'stang is rally capable of such a thing, but wouldn't that be a fun combo?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 01:46 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

Thumbs up amfab

real cool !!!

also, I'd check to make sure the LP tanks are full. That maybe the problem if you can't get them to light. I can't think of any other reason.

whistler
whistler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:28 PM   #26
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
All I want to know is :

- Is polishing any easier up there ?
- Has balancing been a big issue?
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 04:31 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Hi Murray
Polishing isnt easier, but you only have to do it once every 250 years because there is no oxidation problem, and even then its more dusting than polishing.
-Andrew (Calabasas)
Old 01-23-2004, 04:51 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Woodland , Utah
Thumbs up

Great pics I like the bare bones version in the "desert", grin grin. What did it cost? I understand the price is reasonable, but shipping is a little pricey . You guys have now given me the bug to get an older car to go with the 78 Excella. I would like a 78 cad convert. We'll just have to keep looking. Right now the money pit is draining the wallet. I am trying to get it ready for an April trip to NM. 1st trip!!!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:58 PM   #29
Creampuff

2022 27' Flying Cloud
2016 25' International
Airstream - Other
Malibu , California
Andrew- yes, how are you ?
On vintage vehicles how did you make out on the Travelall lead ?
I noticed it was still there a couple of months back .
AIR #189

"If aluminum isn't magnetic- why am I so attracted to to it?"
Creampuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 04:59 PM   #30
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Here is our Vintage Hauler Lot's of room for cargo too

BTW at around 8.5 mpg it helps to take out a bank loan before you leave home. LOL

Aaron
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	as hauler .jpg
Views:	378
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4560  
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2004, 04:01 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
, Iowa
From the time I purchased my 1st
Airstream (a 1951, 21ft.) in 1986 until I replaced it with my current 1969 Caravel, about 10 years ago, I used a 1955 Chevy Nomad wagon as my tow car.
I loved it 'cause the combination made for such a unique camping rig.
I still have the Nomad but haven't towed with it for a few years. It would still haul my small trailer down the highway but I guess age has caught up with me and I have now become used to a tow vehicle with air-conditioning, automatic transmission, etc.
I'll dig around and see if I can find a picture of this setup to post.
I'm presently working to restore my 1950 Willys Jeepster and plan to use it to pull locally, on short trips, near home.
MarkE
WBCCI #4568
MarkE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 01:54 PM   #32
2 Rivet Member

Murry , I ended up buying that yellow Travelall (posted above) in Wisconsin at the end of June and driving it back to L.A. A bit of rust, not too bad and Ive spent a bit on the transmission and other parts to get it safer to drive around. Now Im just gonna do a slow restoration over the next few years, nothin fancy like a frame off or anything, just get it mechanically sound and add AC and some upholstery here and there, upgrade a few things. I hope all is well 'round the lake
-Andrew
Old 01-26-2004, 02:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1954 22' Flying Cloud
1954 25' Cruiser
2005 25' International CCD
Paradise , Texas
Here's our vintage tow vehicle. 1966 F100 4wd, 4spd, 352 V-8 and only 24,000 original miles. I wish it had A/C.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	airstream 001.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	4585  
AirForums #1565
WBCCI #7162
Heart of Texas Camping Unit
Paul Mayeux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 02:46 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Boise , Idaho
Giant Conostoga Wagon on Oregon Trail

Here is our outfit. 1958 Cadillac and '58 Flying Cloud somewher on the Oregon trail 2008.
Dick and Judy
"Deam Art"
WBCCI # 4364
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flying Cloud 032.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	326.7 KB
ID:	74043  
DeamArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 06:27 PM   #35
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Tow Vehicle

The combination below is the one that I took to the WBCCI International Rally in Bozeman, Montana this past summer. The thirty-three-year-old Cadillac Eldorado towed my Argosy just short of 4,000 miles and the only mechanical failure that disrupted travel was a failed alternator on my first day out.

The photo above was taken in Yellowstone National Park when I was on my way to the KOA campground where the VAC was to have their pre-rally. The down-side to a post 1973 vehicle is that it may have "Endura" fender extensions that tend to rapidly disintegrate as they become older. My Cadillac left one in each of the first three states through which we traveled -- just flaked apart as we drove down the road -- only had one that made the whole trip and is still on the car. I ordered the incorrect spinners and beauty rings so no wheel trim for this trip -- just the newly resorted (straightened and trued) OEM wheels with a fresh powder-coat finish. Fun trip -- and with Cadillac or any of the other luxury makes air conditioning was a common feature by the 1960s. My top was down more than the air conditioner was used -- but the air conditioner is fully functional. The old 8.2 Liter V8 just purred throughout the entire trip -- it has never learned to sip its fuel, however.

The Eldorado will be earning its keep next summer towing my Overlander to the International Rally in Madison, Wisconsin (only 600 miles one-way for this Rally).

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:07 PM   #36
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Owings Mills , MD
The lack of AC is a downer, but it depends on where you live. In Maryland, I couldn't live without AC. In In Montana (my native home), I didn't mind running the '52 Chevy. I made a little run on a '66 Dodge D200 on Ebay, but I hate buying sight unseen. We're definitely going to run a truck. I'd prefer 4WD. Vintage would be nice, but maybe I should finish the Overlander renovations before I take on another project... but where's the fun in that.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:30 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Saw this nice old Chrysler on Kijiji as I was viewing the Classic car tab. Bet it would look great in front of a Bullet.

Old 01-18-2009, 06:33 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
The lack of AC is a downer, but it depends on where you live. In Maryland, I couldn't live without AC. In In Montana (my native home), I didn't mind running the '52 Chevy. I made a little run on a '66 Dodge D200 on Ebay, but I hate buying sight unseen. We're definitely going to run a truck. I'd prefer 4WD. Vintage would be nice, but maybe I should finish the Overlander renovations before I take on another project... but where's the fun in that.
There are several companies who offer very effective and efficient after market A/C kits. The one that comes immediately to mind is Vintage Air, but there are several others, so don't let the lack of A/C get in the way.

You are right though, too many projects at one time can be disastrous. I've seen a lot of folks stall out on multiple projects and sadly nothing ever gets done properly. IMHO, finish or get darned close to finishing the trailer, then you can focus more effectively on the TV. I too am very reluctant to buy long distance. I've seen folks win and others lose and the way my luck runs I'd be one of the losers on the deal.

Barry
Old 01-18-2009, 07:56 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
Innisfail , Alberta
I envy all of you with vintage tow vehicles and want one so bad I can almost taste it but still helping kids with university etc. Unfortunately, I'm a totally non-mechanical kind of guy so, if I ever get one it will have to be in premium condition. My AS is a '72 25 foot Tradewind and I think it would be great to pair it up with a tow car the same year-maybe a Chevy Caprice , or Olds. Anyway if it ever does come to pass I'll be looking for lots of advice from all you who are mechanically inclined so we can enjoy trouble free trailering.(Currently towing with a 76 Chevy pickup with a 350- but it's getting tired) For
all of you who are lucky enough to have the classic vehicles- keep the picture coming!
God bless; Garth & Joanne
gtijewlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #40
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by remcolent View Post
will be towing with my 1957 Imperial
hope the old 392 hemi will do the job
If I had to chose any 1957 car to tow a trailer the Imperial would be #1 on the list.

Reason #1, the hemi head V8. The most powerful engine available but also extremely strong and durable. The hemi head design also gives exceptionally good valve cooling and resistance to knocking under heavy loads.

#2 the 3 speed Torqueflite transmission, new for 1957, the best automatic transmission made at the time, and copied later by both GM and Ford.

#3 Torsion bar suspension can be adjusted to trim up your rig and get it perfectly balanced.

#4 Chrysler engineering was about the best in the industry at that time so any Chrysler built car would be a good choice.

# 5 The Imperial was the biggest and best Chrysler so it would be the ultimate of the Chrysler line.

By the way if your car has the original engine it's a 354. They didn't go to a 392 until the following year. Don't let that bother you, it will have all the power you need.