Old 02-23-2010, 11:12 AM   #43
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
I think the RR was a good bit more expensive, only twice what the Imp cost (versus today).
I based my comment on a recent episode of "Pawn Stars" where they said that they cost the same in 1967 (comparing the old man's '67 convertible that was being restored). I do remember that the Rolls Royce jumped its price in the early '70's to stave off bankruptcy. It was then that the RR became a true status symbol and not just a hand built, bespoke luxury car for "old money".

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:50 AM   #44
Rivet Master

San Angelo , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by hampstead38 View Post
...We also have three children... the most expensive "hobby" of all.
... In fact, as I have grown older, I've become less interested in accumulating things and more interested in accumulating experiences. In that sense, the Airstream and a vintage tow vehicle are really just a means to an end.
We have two of our own....I'd be stone-cold broke with a third! New clothes every six months, because they're growing like weeds, football for Michael, softball and cheerleading for Renee, it adds up.

My biggest regret was having to sell my 1972 BB 402 Suburban. It was a bit of a mess, when I got it, and I spent the next two years putting it back to bone stock, including a NOS Delco AM radio and all new wiring harneses throughout. I had the 402 and TH400 rebuilt at 100,000 miles and it rode like a dream; the 3.08:1 gears weren't the best for towing, but that motor did its job...it pulled our 1968 29' Streamline Empress with little effort, while getting 10MPG.

Sadly, I had to sell it when Sherri's cancer returned; we needed money for bills and so I let my Burb go, with the understanding that the guy I sold it to would give me first right of refusal, if he put it up for sale. I still talk to him from time to time, and he's taking good care of the Burb, even replacing the rear quarters, something I hadn't gotten around to.

2004 F-350 King Ranch

AIR # 8239
EX-WBCCI # 8371
StingrayL82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 11:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
well, now I've done it!

That new Flying Cloud just did not look right behind a newer diesel pick up. Sooooo...a 1958 Buick. And....its pink. The Cowboys around here will hate it....the "Brokeback Mountain" Cowboys will love it.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 PM   #46
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
That new Flying Cloud just did not look right behind a newer diesel pick up. Sooooo...a 1958 Buick. And....its pink. The Cowboys around here will hate it....the "Brokeback Mountain" Cowboys will love it.
Pictures. We need pictures.
Old 02-23-2010, 11:52 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
The only one on hand

It looks better in person..
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2010, 12:10 AM   #48
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by REDNAX View Post
I think the RR was a good bit more expensive, only twice what the Imp cost (versus today).
I couldn't believe it either, so I googled it and after a little noodling around discovered that not only is the information correct, but that a Cadillac cost HALF of what the Imperial Convertible cost.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:33 PM   #49
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
"Fatal" might be a little strong, Rednax. The world moves faster than it did in the 50s and 60s. If a person wants to roll down the freeway towing a trailer at 65 mph without a care in the world vintage is not the way to go. Modern 3/4 tons trucks are 10 times better than vintage trucks... and 100 times more complex. Like "Bill and Phyl" have added, you can added IFS, four-wheel disc brakes, power steering, etc. If, however, a guy is willing to go more slowly....
"Fatal" in the sense that many things can go wrong, far from home. Short of a White-Post restoration (and some upgrades), even then, the cost & availability of parts is daunting.

White Post Restorations

Other than that I don't see where we parted. "Fatal" to the idea of this being a vacation; to an ego trip of the mild sort.

That said, the Lincoln's and Cadillac's were not at all in the same league as of 1967: the chassis, the engine, the transmission, the rear axle, the brakes, the structural integrity were all solidly in favor of Imperial. It was a different story by 1971 as competition finally caught up.

My Newport weighed in 500-lbs less than that '67. With all new everything except engine. The Imp was it's superior in every road-test category (except the paltry 2-mpg advantage I had); a 45,000-mile survivor out of Oklahoma. (The original owner was assassinated, via 30.06, unsolved, as he stepped away from it one afternoon.) Helluva car. We never did get the rear seat cushion removed . . Al Capones safe I was thinking.

This is the virtual clone:

Paul Parla's former 1967 (Chrysler) Imperial Crown Coupe

http://www.imperialclub.com/Articles...fort/page8.jpg
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 08:49 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:

GREAT car Ranch. You will have fun with that one. And talk about an attention getter. Thanks for the picture.
Old 02-24-2010, 10:50 PM   #51
Rivet Master

1965 28' Ambassador
Irving , Texas
Great car

Quote:
Great Buick!
Old 02-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland
I don't think we parted, Nax. Hey, I'm building a 318 poly... my Mopar street cred is good.

Our difference is a minor nuance of semantics. To me "fatal" means it's time to get a shovel and find a place to buy something. When I ran my '52 Chevy as a daily driver, it never left me on the side of the road... and that includes many trips between Eastern Washington and Western Montana. The '65 Dodge D100 Sweptline I ran as a kid was just this side of bulletproof, particularly the old slant six. Parts can be tough to find, but at least I have an idea of what might be wrong. These modern "space shuttle" cars with all the chips and gizmos are over my head.

I don't know if it's purely "ego" that makes a guy want to polish an aluminum trailer or tow it with a vintage rig. I'd like to think there are other motivations as well... an aesthetic appreciation for a time where vehicles actually had style, a sense of history, the challenges of the road less traveled, sustainability, etc.

Now, if someone wanted to hand me the keys to a '67 Chrysler Imperial convertible... I'd have absolutely no reservation using it as a tow vehicle for the Overlander. For me, though, I don't have the time, money or skills to do a restoration an Imperial deserves. An old truck is a bit more my speed... and a bit better suited for Montana boondocking adventures. If, Nax, you know a guy who wants to sell a cherry '67 Imp cheap, PM me.
hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:52 PM   #53
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Quote:
I don't think we parted, Nax. Hey, I'm building a 318 poly... my Mopar street cred is good.

I don't know if it's purely "ego" that makes a guy want to polish an aluminum trailer or tow it with a vintage rig. I'd like to think there are other motivations as well... an aesthetic appreciation for a time where vehicles actually had style, a sense of history, the challenges of the road less traveled, sustainability, etc.
Hampstead,

I'm hoping you're right. I kind of think it's an opportunity to see the progress you created with your own hands and maybe share it with others. We tow to a few car cruises each year and invite people to tour the Airstream, or take a picture of them in the car with the top down. I know one guy that caught up with me at three different cruises, so he could show his wife. They're now working on their own '63 Safari.

At the cruise in the photo, I actually counted and just over 400 people went through the trailer. (And not a single one got lost on the tour.)

Maybe it just adds to the fun?

Roy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2009 cruise Powershot 012.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	96974  
Old 02-26-2010, 12:14 AM   #54
TAC CA-420

Currently Looking...
Santa Monica , California
Hampstead 38 wrote:<< These modern "space shuttle" cars with all the chips and gizmos are over my head>>

Look no further than the RF ("radio frequency") interference with its electronics that Toyota is beginning to focus on as the cause of their major malfunction -- the "unintended acceleration" problem! Imagine! RF interference is causing the computer in their cars to suddenly accelerate while you're mashing on the brakes! (Can you say: "Cristine," the movie?) I explained to my wife that pushing on the gas pedal doesn't pull a steel wire in a sleeve to spray fuel into the carburetor, but instead sends an electronic signal to the computer which tells the car how much gas to feed the injectors.

Michael
"Of the gladdest moments in human life, methinks, is the departure upon a distant journey into unknown lands... A journey, in fact, appeals to Imagination, to Memory, to Hope,—the three sister Graces of our moral being.’
Sir Richard Francis Burton
'55 Airlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:50 PM   #55
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
If, Nax, you know a guy who wants to sell a cherry '67 Imp cheap, PM me.

It'll be me . . if my wife finds me come home with another old car.

Not that I haven't thought about it: the special tow package 1969-only torsion bars; Eaton-Detroit for custom leaf pack; a shortened 9.25 rear (with 3.31 ratio) from a '75 with discs; an A518 OD A/T with A618 diesel HD internal goodies behind a 440-3 (Marine & Industrial Division version) with a cam from RVS spec'd for the FMC motorhome; KONI shocks I've already sourced; DENSO starter; 160A alternator from the V8 Cherokee. (Unfortunately I'm already good enough to make my own electrical harnesses. And only need a wide-band 02 sensor to tune a ThermoQuad on a '72 internal EGR intake to mate it up with an all-MSD ignition).

They didn't make many Imps, so, for the difficult body/trim pieces one would want some complete donor cars to store.

Sorry to sound like I was raining on the parade. I'm the staunchest fan (secretly, nowadays).

Found this really cool article recently. Wish to heck I'd found it in the 1970's as it would have been a huge help in performance tuning for economy (highest BSFC numbers):

THE TURNPIKE engine includes another feature that contributes a great deal to fuel economy. This is the new "Climatic Combustion Control" air intake system, which is option No. K-50, available at $33.70 on all Olds V-8 engines. The system employs vacuum-operated valves in the air cleaner housing to mix warm underhood air with hot air from a muff around the exhaust pipe to maintain a constant inlet air temperature of approximately 100°F. Warm air arrives at the carburetor within seconds after a cold start. Thus, for all practical purposes, carburetor air temperature remains constant. The system offers several advantages, including close control of exhaust emissions to meet antismog laws. What helps overall fuel economy most, however, is that the carburetor can be calibrated for the constant 100° F intake temperature. Normally, the carburetor must be jetted for the lowest underhood temperature in normal operation, which can be as low as 20 or 30° F in northern states. Tests show the difference in overall fuel economy is 0.75-1 mpg. Olds decided to include the air temperature control system in the Turnpike Cruising Package to derive that last ounce of fuel economy.

Concern that hot carburetor air will reduce power on full-throttle acceleration is unfounded. The system is designed so the air valves close and admit only underhood air through twin snorkels when manifold vacuum drops below 6-8 in. Hg. Tests show the carburetor inlet air temperature drops from 100F to the underhood temperature (or close to it) within 2 sec. after the throttle is opened.

Turnpike Road test* Car Life apr. 1967

OLDSmobility.com - The 1967 Oldsmobile Cutlass and 442 Resource - 'Turnpike Cruiser' - Car Life April 1967

Unquestionably, with a carbuerated engine I would be employing this set of tricks. This is a more direct approach than what the smogged cars of the '70's possessed. That work by Olds was first class. Constant air temp is like magic!
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:00 AM   #56
1972 Travelux Princess 25

Cobourg , Ontario
Rednax I can second your opinion on constant air temp. I had a 1971 Dodge slant 6 pickup that had the same setup from the factory. When I got the truck it was old and not working, but I put it back to factory configuration and the difference was like night and day. The engine started and ran like a fuel injection car, even on the coldest winter day, the carb warmed up twice as fast as it did without the system and MPG went up too.

This was in southern Ontario Canada so not the coldest place in the world but not the warmest either.

I've always liked the fusilage style Chryslers of the early 70s. If you want the ultimate vintage tow vehicle how about an Imperial with a hemi crate motor? Open the box and bolt in 465 to 900 HP .

Mopar Performance Parts - Crate Engines, Short Blocks, and Blocks

You could call it "The Imperialist"

http://www.imperialclub.com/Yr/1969/...uide/index.htm

Tags
tow vehicles, vintage