Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-29-2011, 01:44 PM   #181
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirXL View Post
Hello all,

I have been driving a 1970 Ford XL convertible 390 2v for the past five years, keeping it in a "good enough" driving condition. Last month I purchased a 1969 25' Tradewind(my first airstream/trailer/RV) in great condition. Now, I feel myself getting closer to living the dream. However, I realize that the Ford will need some work to get me to that dream. I'd love to get some input on a wish list of upgrades and hitches that would get the car to the point where I could drive cross country with no worries.

Thanks
Focus on cooling for the Ford. Large radiator and transmission cooler. I installed gauges in the the car that it didn't have like transmission temp gauge. Your Ford most likely has a greater distance from it's rear axle to where the hitch begins than a truck would have like my big Buick. The WDH system for me called for 1000# spring bars. Also your Ford has a long wheel base which is great for towing stability but DO install sway control.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 02:29 PM   #182
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I just caught up with this thread...Thanks for all the nice comments on a Nomad. I arrived home with a complete, running, driving car....it is now all over the barn floor...and parts of Texas....being checked, and redone a bit.
Barry, could you send me some more info on the one in Wash? And some sort of contact...either thru you or direct. Thanks.
Robin C
Old 06-29-2011, 04:12 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
I just caught up with this thread...Thanks for all the nice comments on a Nomad. I arrived home with a complete, running, driving car....it is now all over the barn floor...and parts of Texas....being checked, and redone a bit.
Barry, could you send me some more info on the one in Wash? And some sort of contact...either thru you or direct. Thanks.
Robin C
I guess "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", isn't a Texas motto.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid
Old 06-29-2011, 05:16 PM   #184
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Greetings AirXL!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Vintage Airstream Ownership!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirXL View Post
Hello all,

I have been driving a 1970 Ford XL convertible 390 2v for the past five years, keeping it in a "good enough" driving condition. Last month I purchased a 1969 25' Tradewind(my first airstream/trailer/RV) in great condition. Now, I feel myself getting closer to living the dream. However, I realize that the Ford will need some work to get me to that dream. I'd love to get some input on a wish list of upgrades and hitches that would get the car to the point where I could drive cross country with no worries.

Thanks

You are faced with a situation quite similar to the one that I faced with my 1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible and 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 convertible. My suggestions would include:
  • New radiator with at least one additional row in its core to improve cooling -- even if this means going with a custom radiator it does pay dividends in greatly reducing the likelihood of boiling over in the worst conditions.
  • Quality valve job that includes hardened valve seat inserts to insure that valve recision does not occur as a result of the strain of towing (using our modern unleaded fuel) -- this was the first modification on my Dodge after I tried towing without having it done (I know from first-hand exprience that recision can happen very quickly).
  • Heavy duty auxilliary transmission fluid cooler with supplemental electric cooling fan. This is the approach that I wish that I would have taken with my Cadillac as its transmission gets much warmer than I would like on long grades when towing either of my trailers.
  • New heavy duty water pump if the current pump's age and condition is uncertain.
  • Examine starter and alternator to be certain that they are in sound operating condition as the stress and heat of towing will quickly bring about the failure of either of these components.
  • Factory four barrel carbueretor and intake manifold. The four barrel carburetor will provide much better overall performance when towing than the two barrel.
  • Dual exhaust system if the car isn't already so equipped.
  • Examine front suspension and replace any parts that are worn out or nearing that point.
  • New premium gas charged shock absorbers on all four corners.
  • New heavy duty springs in the front and rebuilt leaf springs ins in the rear adding a leaf or two if the car wasn't equipped from the factory with the heavy duty suspension package.
  • High quality four-corner brake job with premium parts for greatest safety. If the car wasn't equipped from the factory with front disk brakes, consider upgrading to front disc brakes.
  • Reese weld-up receiver hitch package installed by a welder familiar with building hitches. I searched for over a year to find a welder that I felt comfortable trusting with the job of welding up the hitch for my Cadillac.
  • Thoroughly service both transmission and rear differential - - any deffered maintenance on these components will show up very quickly when the car is towing your Airstream.
  • Quality pendulum-type brake controller at the very minimum to apply your trailer brakes.
  • New tires if the current tires are the equivalent of the factory base standard F78-15 tires as they had very little reserve -- my suggestion would be the equivalent of the H78-15 on your car for good towing performance. I use the equivalent of H78-14 on my Dodge (original size was F78-14) and the equivalent of JR78-15 tires on my Cadillac (my Cadillac was factory equipped with the JR78-15 tires) to insure good towing performance.
  • Examine universal joints and replace if there is any evidence that they are nearing the end of their service life.
  • Heavy duty round-pin type 7-pole connector with matching end for your Airstream. You will experience far fewer problems with corroded terminals with the round-pin than with the current blade-type connectors. The round-pin connectors can be found at parts houses that deal with semi-trailer trucks as these are parts common on semis.
I have had excellent performance and very good reliability with both of my cars. In 2008, the Cadillac completed a round-trip from Carbondale, Illinois to Bozeman, Montanna with only one issue. Just 200 miles into the first leg of my journey, the remanufactured GoodWrench Alternator failed and both the car and trailer had to be towed in (alternator was replaced under warranty and my towing insurance paid for the tow). My Dodge has never had a problem when towing and it made many trips prior to being retired until I can get the resources together to upgrade to four-wheel disc brakes.

Good luck with your rig!

Kevin

My 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 in its hey-day as a towcar -- 1982 - - - - - - -

My 1975 Cadillac Eldorado at the conclusion of its first trip with my Airstream - - 2003

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 06:44 PM   #185
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
When you got the bug... it's great when you can combine them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01915.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	133583   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01964.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	133584  

Old 06-29-2011, 07:45 PM   #186
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
I did just that

What Overlander 64 just said. I did all that to the 58 Buick. Ready to roll if I can ever get the new disc brakes to work right.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #187
3 Rivet Member

In the August issue of Hemings Motor News on page 454 "i" listings is a drop dead georgeous "restored to a high standard" l968 Travelall 4X2, 24,000miles. High price of $29,900. Unfortunately no information as to engine. It is located in Charlotte, NC. rkmotorscharlotte.com.

If I didn't already have a TV I could be tempted. Pat
Pat Conway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:20 AM   #188
Incorrigible

1976 Argosy 24
-- , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Conway View Post
In the August issue of Hemings Motor News on page 454 "i" listings is a drop dead georgeous "restored to a high standard" l968 Travelall 4X2, 24,000miles. High price of $29,900. Unfortunately no information as to engine. It is located in Charlotte, NC. rkmotorscharlotte.com.

If I didn't already have a TV I could be tempted. Pat
Having owned a few Internationals, I think that it must be an over-restored truck to be priced at $29k.

I saw a beautiful factory-correct restoration a few years ago of a D-series Travelall that only cost $20k. Sadly, the truck was rained on during the show so I think it's already rusted away.

1976 24' Argosy
1973 International Harvester Travelette 1210 4x4 'Bernard' 164" WB
1997 Georgie Boy 30' SuperDuty v10
Ike T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #189
4 Rivet Member

1985 31' Excella
Fresno , Texas
88 Ford F350 rescue truck 6.9L diesel, stick shift, 8K miles only - $5000 (North Houston) This truck was inside a chemical plant and has a crew cab.

Here
Wsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #190
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
There you go Hampstead. Your dream vehicle has been found in Houston. Giddy Yup man!

Sergei
SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #191
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to lwebb Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb
OK I've searched and searched and most of the vintage tow vehicle posts deal with 60s and newer "vintage" tow vehicles. I've read volumes of trailer life and other magazines from the late 40 through mid fifties. All the ads for every brand including Airstream show pictures of their trailers being pulled by just about every car on the road. More cars that trucks 50 to 1.
There are some interesting articles about beefing up suspension, brakes etc. but mostly the trailers are pulled by off the show room floor automobiles. One ad shows, I think a 22 foot Alma, being pulled by a post ww2 jeep. They were all 4 cylinders.
I have a 42 myself.
I have two 55 "Wally Byam Holidays" 15' ham cans with ele brakes. I have been looking at a 49 Plymouth Special Deluxe as a tow vehicle. I drove one in college. The Plymouth only had the flat six. 95 HP as I recall. I don't think Plymouth went to anything larger until 55.
Most of the posts I read talk about dropping in new V8s, beefed up transmissions and stronger frame work, disk brakes, and extended radiators etc, etc.

If the cars of the late 40s and early fifties pulled trailers back then, wouldn't they do so today? I know without question all the newer and stronger modifications would be better but I'm sort of a purest I guess. Does anyone tow with a late 40s or early 50s vintage stock or almost stock auto?
lanny
WBCCI #1094

WallyByamHoliday.com
lwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 11:31 AM   #192
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Lanny, the short answer is yes - however, keep in mind that we did not have freeways back then and cars were a lot less reliable than today - there is also the disadvantage of breaks - the guy in front of you will have disk brakes and you will have drum - guess who can stop faster - - - - having said all that, if you plan backroads and somewhat short distances, you will be fine

Ken J
Albuquerque National Balloon Fiesta
Rally
Vintage Trailer Academy - Formerly the original
restoration rally
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM   #193
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebb View Post
All the ads for every brand including Airstream show pictures of their trailers being pulled by just about every car on the road. More cars that trucks 50 to 1.
How true it is...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	truck.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	136647  
Old 08-03-2011, 12:43 PM   #194
Lanny

1954 15' Byam Holiday
1955 15' Byam Holiday
Athens , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to lwebb Send a message via Yahoo to lwebb
Thanks Ken. I noted that in the long long trailer post the trailer was pulled by a Buick Roadmaster straight eight. Maybe I should look for a 49 Buick? I'd love a 50s super estate wagon. They had the straight 8 as well I think. Any suggestions on how I would find out what a straight six could pull? For now all I have are the Holidays. On the brakes, that's one change I could live with.
lanny
WBCCI #1094

WallyByamHoliday.com
lwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 12:55 PM   #195
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Thanks Ken. I noted that in the long long trailer post the trailer was pulled by a Buick Roadmaster straight eight. Maybe I should look for a 49 Buick? I'd love a 50s super estate wagon. They had the straight 8 as well I think. Any suggestions on how I would find out what a straight six could pull? For now all I have are the Holidays. On the brakes, that's one change I could live with.
lanny
By the 50's, all the major car companies were making V8s. There were some very good V8 engines that would be good for towing. Today's small block Chevy engine that is the basis for the current Corvette engine was introduced in 1955. Obviously, it has evolved, but the original architecture is still there.

What can a straight six pull? Define straight six. The current Cummings Turbo Diesels in pickups are straight sixes. So are many of the large diesels in 18 wheelers.

Chevy built a very good 292 CID straight six that was a truck engine. Made good hot rods and tow vehicles.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:13 PM   #196
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by lwebb

If the cars of the late 40s and early fifties pulled trailers back then, wouldn't they do so today? I know without question all the newer and stronger modifications would be better but I'm sort of a purest I guess. Does anyone tow with a late 40s or early 50s vintage stock or almost stock auto?
lanny
The expectations of both tow vehicle drivers and other motorists have changed. In the 1940s it was common for trucks and even cars to slow down while going up hills that are taken at speed today. Speed limits were lower varying by state and year but driving or encountering a car or truck running at 40 or 45 mph and slowing further for hills was not unusual.

Other motorists don't tolerate that much today even if the driver of the vintage rig would.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM   #197
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage tow vehicle

Greetings Lanny!

Quote:
I have two 55 "Wally Byam Holidays" 15' ham cans with ele brakes. I have been looking at a 49 Plymouth Special Deluxe as a tow vehicle. I drove one in college. The Plymouth only had the flat six. 95 HP as I recall. I don't think Plymouth went to anything larger until 55.
Most of the posts I read talk about dropping in new V8s, beefed up transmissions and stronger frame work, disk brakes, and extended radiators etc, etc.

lanny

Cars off of the showroom floor did pull travel trailers in the immediate pre-and-post-WW II era, but there are several limitations that would keep such combinations from being viable in today's travel environment:
  • Fuels in those days had tetra-ethyl lead added in varying amounts, and without the lubrication provided by these compounds valve seat recission will happen very quickly resulting very expensive valve seat machining with new hardened inserts.I didn't want to believe this, but learned my lesson when my 1965 Dodge Coronet 500 needed valve seat inserts after only 2,000 miles towing my 6.0 Metre coach.
  • Prior to the advent of the Superhighway/Interstate system, speeds were much lower so powerplants producing modest power could get by in non-mountainous areas . . . . today, the tow vehicle/trailer combination better be able to safely maintain a minimum 55 MPH to 60 MPH cruising speed on most highways.
  • Prior to the late 1960s and early 1970s, most cars had 4-wheel drum brakes and between fading and lack of heavy duty rebuilding components, make brakes a near must replace for safety . . . my 1965 Dodge is going to have 4-wheel disc brakes before I take it out on the highway with my 1964 Overlander or 1978 Minuet.
  • Over the past 20 to 25 years, drivers have become much more impatient and far less accommodating to persons driving vehicles that impede traffic flow so if a vintage tow vehicle can't keep up a minimally acceptable cruising speed, one is taking chances of becoming the target of road rage . . . . something that was virtually unheard of in the era of which you are inquiring.
I am a proponent of utilizing vintage automobiles for towing, but only after they have been modified to insure safe travel for the vehicle's occupants as well as my fellow motorists. Vintage vehicles both Airstreams and similar vintage cars are often worth several times what they cost new, so it just isn't worth taking chances with the investments involved or the safety of the operator as well as members of the public with a combination that has any inadequacies in the safety department.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: I know that the argument can be made that one can stick to the secondary routes, but that only solves one problem . . . that of high rates of speed. Some of the worst road rage that I have witnessed has been on rather isolated stretches of secondary highways.

I even traded off a seemingly decent tow vehicle by today's standards in 1998 because it was incapable of maintaining safe travel speeds when traveling to my favorite spots . . . and this was a 1995 Chevrolet K1500 Z71 Club Cab Pickup with heavy duty trailering package.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 PM   #198
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
What other motorists will tolerate will be determined by whosever in front. I remember a bumper sticker once, " I may be slow but I'm ahead of you ". To me that says it all. If there's a right lane they can go around. If not ....... .

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 01:40 PM   #199
one of those

2011 27 FB International
'03 F250 PSD , Airstream summers, Catalac winters
I disagree. I think that there are a lot of variations as to what other motorists will tolerate, and a wide variety of ways in which they express an increasing intolerance.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #200
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
As a boy growing up in Michigan our family towed our travel trailer, about an 18 footer. with a '40 Chevy. We used that combo a lot between 1942, times that I remember back to, until about 1948. In 1952 we towed a 26' Pan American can ham from Detroit to California with a '48 Nash Ambassador. That was a big car with an OHV 6. Our route was RTE 66 all the way. It took us 15 days with a couple layovers. I was a teenager then so I remember there were no freeways or any roads that it was possible to average more than 45 mph. The travel was in June and overheating was a constant concern but I do not recall any 'cool down' stops.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

1966 Trade Wind

455 cid

455 cid

Tags
tow vehicles, vintage