Old 12-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #15
_

. , .
well it reads like u r n 4 a grand and rewarding adventure!

so don't forget to post a story board.

heck, post some pix now of the french farm house...

it must be pretty cool

family of 4 wearing hats?

were they berets....

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2007, 09:08 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Corraleno

Vintage units are light weight, but they are also "smaller" than later models. Narrower as others have noted and we have people who come through who feel they are in a tunnel where others love the "closeness". It really is an individual thing.

Our 21' Flying Cloud is just right for my wife and I, and we can accommodate another couple very short term up front but it does make for tight quarters BY TODAYS STANDARDS. I say this because as a youngster the whole family of 5 kids, parents and grandmother all camped on the road for extended periods in first a 17' and then a 19' SOB. And NO awning which in reasonable weather extends the liveability significantly.

If you do decide to purchase a vintage unit that has been redone, besides ensuring it was actually done correctly you will also want to make sure it has a reasonable compliment of modern conveniences and safety features (detectors), holding tanks, etc. Some things are easy to add if you are handy, others take a lot of effort (like tanks), money, time and creativity. It's obvious that you are not unfamiliar with taking on projects, so it then becomes how much of one you want to take on with your camping unit.

Glad to hear you love the Vintage Airstreams . You'll fit right in with a whole bunch of us.

Good luck with your search. I highly encourage you to find a rally nearby and go talk to the folks. Get some tours, ask as many questions as you can, and you'll find the right rig for your family.

Barry

Old 12-11-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
I let my wife read this and thank you for reminding her that just the 2 of us in a 28 foot safari is plenty of room and more. She was feeling cramped/closed in towards the end of the last 7900 mile trip. We do it all over in jan-march. Thanks for reminding us how good we have it!!
Old 12-12-2007, 07:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
1997 34' Limited
Great Barrington , Massachusetts
New TV?

I pull a '76 Argosy 20 with a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. It has worked pretty well, but I've been having a wandering eye for something larger in the TV. The Ranger sucks 10-12mpg when towing and I'm hoping that a bigger engine might not have to work so hard. Heck, if I still have to use 10-12, a bigger engine might just give me more power and maneuverability.

Anyway, my eye has been caught by a 1999 GMC 4x4 Yukon with doors in the rear. It has a 5.7(?) V8 and seems like a nice step up. Good move? Will those doors clear the trailer lift and open while hitched? Plus the grandchildren are getting bigger and a back seat would be nicer (safer) for them. Anybody have experience? I know you all have opinions. I'd appreciate your comments.

Nick
WBCCI#3528
nickvansant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 09:54 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvansant
I pull a '76 Argosy 20 with a 2000 Ford Ranger 4x4 with a 4.0 V6. It has worked pretty well, but I've been having a wandering eye for something larger in the TV. The Ranger sucks 10-12mpg when towing and I'm hoping that a bigger engine might not have to work so hard. Heck, if I still have to use 10-12, a bigger engine might just give me more power and maneuverability.

Anyway, my eye has been caught by a 1999 GMC 4x4 Yukon with doors in the rear. It has a 5.7(?) V8 and seems like a nice step up. Good move? Will those doors clear the trailer lift and open while hitched? Plus the grandchildren are getting bigger and a back seat would be nicer (safer) for them. Anybody have experience? I know you all have opinions. I'd appreciate your comments.
Not sure if the rear doors will clear but should be a good move. Yes, rear seats are nice, specially if you have dogs. We prefer the truck style as thats where the bikes go.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:04 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickvansant
We have the same TV, except ours has the tailgate. The doors may clear, but it will depend on your hitch/tongue set-up. I've seen some that do and some that are a near miss. Our tailgate clears just fine...I like the doors too, but they have a large center mullion which seemed like a big blind spot when we test drove, I suppose you get used to it ~

Anyway, the 5.7 V8 works great with our small & mid-size trailers and the extra room is nice to have, we can seat four without having to re-pack the truck ~ you won't be disappointed with the extra get up & go!

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 10:11 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
I have a 2005 Honda Pilot AWD (255hp V6) with dealer-installed tow package. It's rated for 3500 lbs max, but I would like to keep it under 3000. I know I can tow a 60s Bambi or Caravel, but there are 4 of us (2 small kids) and I was wondering if there are any vintage options under 22' that would also qualify? I've read that some of the 20-22' 50s trailers are quite lightweight. (We would need one with a bathroom.) Thanks!
Some people gotta have a lot of room. With two kids you'll do just fine with a 20-22'. We have 2 standard poodles and have no problem taking 2 grand kids along for a week or two. The 1981 International might work for you.
Old 12-13-2007, 11:28 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahab
Some people gotta have a lot of room. With two kids you'll do just fine with a 20-22'. We have 2 standard poodles and have no problem taking 2 grand kids along for a week or two. The 1981 International might work for you.
Ahab,

I am glad you were not the previous owner of our Safari, we now own it because the couple had two standard poodles and decided that there was not enough room for the four of them. They now own a SOB.

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

http://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1967 17' Caravel
1959 17' Pacer
Corrales , New Mexico
An airstream dealer told me today that since Albuquerque is a mile high, I'd lose 25% of my rated towing capacity right off the bat, and if I want to go up into the mountains as well, then I probably shouldn't pull anything over 2000 lbs with the Pilot (which is rated @3500). So if I want anything bigger than a Pacer or Bubble, it looks like I'll be needing a new tow vehicle! We're thinking of trading the truck for a Toyota Sequoia, which is rated at 6500, so we should be pretty comfortable towing up to 4000-4500. Anyone have experience (good or bad) towing with a Sequoia?
Old 12-13-2007, 05:03 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
welcome

I am new here, but I agree with the comments about if you are moving up from tent camping that a small trailer will be a huge upgrade. I suspect you will be camping, not "living in a trailer" and kitchen and bath and two gauchos or guacho and dinette set up will probably do just fine. Keep in mind that gross tow weight consideration should come down as you are loading up the cooler, and kids, and whatever you do when you camp (fish, bike, etc). Also remember that at 5000' (our elevation in Albuquerque) and above your ability to tow will be somewhat degraded. With regards to vintage...take your time and find the sweet trailer. If you find one that has had proper restoration done...you can be ready to camp the day you buy.
Old 12-13-2007, 05:10 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
albuquerque , New Mexico
Tunrda

I tow with a 2005 Tundra gross tow of 7000lbs. My trailer is 4250 lbs, I pulled it home from Tennessee in the Smokies with no problem. I have not done any 10000 ft passes yet. The old Sequoia and Tundra were on the same chassis, although I would suspect the Sequoia had lower rating than the Tundra. The new Tundra is rated at 10K lbs. I still think a 60s vintage Bambi or Caravelle behind your van would work out...and if its a stretch upgrade the tow later.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:11 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Caravel 2350-3000 lbs.

In 2000 we bought a 1965 Caravel. It was being used on a regular basis and was in good shape. The original owner's manuel shows 2350 lbs. That is dry with helium in the tires. Once on a long trip, loaded to the gills, I weighed the trailer at 3,000 lbs. Every so often we go through all of the storage areas and find a hundred or so pounds that can be removed. The axel on our trailer has been replaced and is rated at 3,600 lbs.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:33 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Escondido , California
Towing with Toyota

I have just purchased a 59 22' Flying Cloud and had it weighed at 2900 lbs over the axle and 340 lbs on the tongue. I wanted a trailer that I could tow with my 02 Suburban and my 06 Tacoma.

My only issue with towing things with the Tacoma is that it doesn't have the best brakes. I live in a hilly area and I had to replace the rotors with Frozen Rotors and Hawk pads because they kept warping (yes I know there are opinions on if the rotors actually warp). Decent brakes on the trailer are also necessary. Power wise it was fine. Just drive like your pulling a trailer and not at a race and you're fine. The other thing we do is that we keep things to a minimum and load supplies into the TV and not the trailer. Once at the camp site we transfer stuff to the trailer. You still have to watch the combined weight, but better to have the weight on the vehicle than the trailer.

Having a trailer is like anything else. The bigger it is the more stuff you stick in it. We have done many years of tent camping, just having heat and a shell was a big step up. One recomendation on the trailer is to have a tap on the propane line so you can use the trailers propane for the outdoor camp stove and light.

Good Luck
Old 12-13-2007, 08:25 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corraleno
Anyone have experience (good or bad) towing with a Sequoia?
There was a good article in RV Lifestyle magazine a while ago that compared a Toyota Sienna with the Sequoia. It was interesting that in the end both compared very close as far as projected towing performance was concerned.

RV Lifestyle - Hitch Hints