Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-05-2004, 08:04 AM   #41
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Texas Airstream Harbor , Zavalla, in the Deep East Texas Piney Woods on Lake Sam Rayburn
Woah!

Thread Police!

With what? To where? With whom?

Isn't the title of this thread is "v6 Ford Explorer haul a 19' bambi "?

Granted, most of the conservation was in late October, but Moe's comments DID bring up the previously undiscussed (on this thread) importance of obtaining an accurate weight.

If my recollection of Physics 101 is correct, the LATERAL stability of a tow vehicle/trailer is of much more importance than rollover tendency of the tow.

Granted, a top heavy vehicle makes for a much less desirable tow vehicle than one with a low center of gravity for several reasons, but, in truth, one of the first questions a trial lawyer is going to ask during litigation following a vehicle (and trailer) accident is -- was the vehicle/trailer loaded beyond the approved capacities as stated by the manufacturers?

Does anyone know of ANY written vertical Center of Gravity specifications issued by a RV or auto/light truck manufacturer?

Anyone towing a trailer, with both the tow vehicle and the trailer loaded within the manufacturers limits, should have some comfort factor (within the limitations of common sense) that the combination is "safe" to take on the highway. Conversely, any time a "rig" is loaded beyond the stated weight (and balance) limitations, regardless of the modifications applied to the tow vehicle, the hitch, or the trailer, the "safety" and roadability of the tow/trailer combination are jeopardized.

As Moe stated, Safety should be the first factor in the decision process to take a vehicle (and family) on the road. Adherence to the stated manufacturers load limits is the primary means ANY driver (whether experienced or first time) has to develop a comfort level that the “rig” will do what it is supposed to do.

In the absence of a “Rollover Measurement Meter”, or more (unwanted) Government interference in the guise of “safety” regulations, Maurice’s comments were (IMHO) entirely appropriate.

Of equal importance, Whistler simply stated that U-Haul would not rent to an Explorer tow vehicle.

No reason for the denial of rent was cited.

At this time do we know if the reason was, in truth, rollover prompted? Perhaps the tire issue? Simple demographics? Or even a frame/hitch problem?

"Suck it up, spend the bucks, do it right the first time."

WBCCI # 1113
AirForums #1737

Trailer '78 31' Sovereign

Living Large at an Airstream Park on the Largest Lake Totally Contained in Texas
Texas Airstream Harbor, Inc.
87MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 08:47 AM   #42
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
I think everyone has some valid points and certainly have a right to their own opinion. I have been impressed with the thought to always error on the side of safety even if it means more time and money.
I was really impressed by reading the posts of FEMUSE. I believe They currently have a '98 International 4700. Their thoughts are not only on pulling but also on stopping. I think their guiding post is bigger is better. I took their thoughts to heart and bought a 3/4 ton club cab long bed dodge cummins diesel pickup. Then we purchased our '01 Bambi. We went coast to coast, mountains,hills etc. and never worried or had cause to worry about pulling, stopping or passing, big rigs etc. When we went out it was never a concern and we always enjoyed the ride. I attribute that to folks like FEMUSE giving their experiences. We didn't want to have to be concerned when going out (enough to be concerned with at work and at home). I think part of our Airstreaming is to be relaxed and comfortable before heading back to the craziness of life. If you can do the same with what ever you pull with, that is wonderful too.
"To open a whole world of new experiences... a new dimension in enjoyment where travel adventure and good fellowship are your constant companions." Wally Byam
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 09:22 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
As 87MH said, my response to the subject is appropriate. I didn't realize it was an older thread about towing that had been hijacked into a roll-over and U-Haul thread. In fact, I skip over and ignore such off-topic posts in a thread. Nevertheless, my response will be in the archives should future searchers come across it.
Old 02-05-2004, 10:27 AM   #44
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Gentleman (term used loosely).... A suggestion about exploders; We have one - a pathetic little 99 v-6, stick. It is tippy and wimpy and completely unsatisfying but it is paid for. So in an attempt to cope with what we have my more mechanically inclined half (janets husband) replaced the sway bar with a beefier model, replaced the shocks with better ones and substantially improved the road hugging ability of the exploder. We tow the lightest trailer we could find and while it's a compromise - it works.

I am mildly miffed that u-haul won't rent out trailers to exploder drivers - even those of use who have improved our vehicles. Do you suppose I can get my money back from Fraud - oops - Ford?

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 10:31 AM   #45
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Hey Janet...I'm having trouble understanding how you really feel!

As for the loose term of Gentleman...I suppose the fact that you used it in any context is still a plus in my book!

GM all the way!
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 11:21 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
"One more time" I had to debunk the MYTH of towing capacity, and recommend an individual GET THE FACTS FOR THEMSELVES.

[some potentially offensive comments deleted]
Old 02-05-2004, 11:49 AM   #47
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
New Smyrna Beach , Florida
Eric & Maurice

Can we agree to disagree is such a fashion that we all add value to this forum and have respect for each others views and opinions? Reading both of your many postings on various topics indicates to me that your views and opinions are value added and has significantly added to the success of Airstreamforums.

I like what Wally Byam stated in the Airstream Creed " To play some part in promoting international goodwill and understanding among the peoples of the world through person-to-person contact." Both of you have played a leadership role in this forum and set the tone of dialogue. I am sure that I and other readers appreciate your wealth of knowledge, especially when presented in the spirit of what Byam noted in the Creed.

Thank you Gentlemen.

Thank you both for you
rcaldwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:40 PM   #48
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I agree we'll just have to agree to disagree and leave it at that..... I respect Moe's position.....
Old 02-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
2004 Explorer rollover rating??

Silvertwinkie -- I looked at the site you gave and it said the 2004 Explorer was "under review" and it didn't give a rollover rating.

For the 2003 models, the 4X2s and Sport Explorer got a "2" rating, but the Explorer 4X4 was rated "3". Maybe I was looking at the wrong place. I looked at these numbers recently while comparing the Explorer to the 4Runner and was surprised to see that the Sport Trac actually scored lower than a regular Explorer 4X4.

I think that if you look at a lot of SUVs, no matter the length or tow capacity, you'll find that the rollover rating isn't all that great. I was mainly concerned about the rollover rating for the times when I have nothing in tow (most of the time) and I'm only carrying precious cargo -- the kids!
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 12:45 PM   #50
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Actually, I took a look at it again, and all I saw was a 2 rating and the others still under review...being that it is basically the same SUV..........

The 3 rating that was next to it was a GMC, not the Explorer.

I totally agree that most SUVs are not great in the rollover department though.....

Eric
Old 02-05-2004, 12:53 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
NW of Boston , Massachusetts
?

I must have the wrong page. I was looking at this one: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/NCAP/Cars/2004SUVs.html The SportTrac was rated, but not the Explorer.

The 2003 page had ratings for the Explorer.
LuminumTraila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2004, 03:09 PM   #52
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Re: 2004 Explorer rollover rating??

Quote:
Originally posted by dougjamie
I was mainly concerned about the rollover rating for the times when I'm only carrying precious cargo -- the kids!
Kids?? Kids shmids! I don't wanna roll my cherry GlobeTrotter, man!
Crap, did I say that out loud?
bredlo is offline   Reply With Quote