Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-05-2012, 04:57 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
...Using the lower drop hitch...

Got up this morning - had some time off from work, so now today was the time to hitch up the AS and see how it looks on the truck. So here's two shots of it sitting level...we also took everyhting over to a shop where he checked all the air pressures...(had one really low tire). Then we made a few rounds up and down the high way and then into a car wash to rinse off the dust and things. The reese hitch was sitting too high (about three inches) so with this new one, it now seems to sit about one inch lower in the front. Plus you can see the front end of the truck is raised some too. And you could kind of tell the feeling while going down the highway.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0488.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	353.8 KB
ID:	157534   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0489.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	157535  

Old 05-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
You need a Weight Distributing hitch to tow an AS of that size and tongue weight. That is the only way you will get it to tow right and put weight back on the front wheels.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
And with that weight being deducted from the front tire, it has lost enough grip that doing accident-avoidance manoeuvres will be dangerous.

idroba is right, you need a WD hitch.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
I realize this and we are sure to be careful for now. I only have so much time off, and when I do I go to make those adjustments like the WD hitch, which will be added soon. Thanks I just need feed back.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
I realize this and we are sure to be careful for now. I only have so much time off, and when I do I go to make those adjustments like the WD hitch, which will be added soon. Thanks I just need feed back.
Billy,

Looks pretty level from here, of course I'm 1800mi away.

Iv'e got this old Reese I no longer have a use for. Your welcome to it if you like. Have no idea what a new comparable would cost or how much the shipping would be.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC08269.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	306.0 KB
ID:	157554   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC08270.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	343.0 KB
ID:	157559  

Old 05-05-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Robert I have one but it does not have those extra holes in it...What I will do is take it out of the back of my pick up tomorrow and will show you pictures of what I have. The one I have now seems like it was the reason the trailer was sitting so high. I have the hitch clamps (two) two arms with chain on each. and the major part. We have never never ever hooked it up. There is a city manager here in town (code inspector) and he said he would help us hook what we have, up. But not sure if I will get the right results. However I would be interested in yours because I can see where it adjusts low enough to make it level, plus put the weight at the front axle...mine is in one position only and welded right there. I will show pictures tomorrow.
Old 05-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #7
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Billy,

This an older style Reese straight line with an adjustable stinger,(drop), and you can also adjust the hitch ball angle for better weight distribution.
The sway ball on the stinger is bent slightly,(picture), my bad, too sharp a turn, but doesn't effect operation.
I haven't used it since we got the Hensley and it's just been taking up room in the basement.

Bob
Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Robert what is the long squarish deal laying between the arms in the second photo? I pm'd you also.
Old 05-06-2012, 06:47 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
The item between the arms is a friction anti-sway control bar that attaches to the trailer "A" frame and the small ball attached to the stinger.

My recommendation would be for you to not tow at all until you get the weight distribution hitch. I would guess that the 2" receiver and hitch assembly that is bolted to the frame is rated for lower maximums (without the weight distribution) than the trailer weight and tongue weight you are dealing with. If it's a class 4 or 5 hitch, I could be wrong. Have a look at the decal on the unit and see what the capacity is.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Here's a photo of the decal/...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN0226.JPG
Views:	115
Size:	428.9 KB
ID:	157571  
Old 05-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Also here is the door sticker to the truck...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0002.JPG
Views:	116
Size:	836.2 KB
ID:	157573  
Old 05-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
Waskesiu Lake , Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius
Here's a photo of the decal/...
Hmmm, I'm a little surprised. Based on a chart on http://www.airstream.com/files/libra...c5c1005fbf.pdf , your 1970 Overlander weighs about 4500-4600 lbs. dry and has a tongue weight of 450-460 lbs. Our 1977 25' Tradewind has a tongue weight of 735 lbs., so I figured yours would be over 500 lbs. at least. Based on this, you are technically just under the maximum weights for hitch use without weight distribution.

These values don't take into account any gear, water, etc. in the trailer or the weight of full propane tanks on the "A" frame, so if you are traveling with a load on the trailer, you are likely over max. values.

You will find a good weight distribution hitch will even your load and smooth out the ride immensely.

1977 25' Tradewind (with two ... three... FOUR dogs)
2011 Ram 1500 Quad cab, 5.7 Hemi, tow pkg.
kevin242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I can't wait to get it rigged up correctly with the WD hitch, Like I said, my sister had given me the one I formerly had, but it was not drop adjustable, just was sitting where it is at now. But we removed it and got the other (just a regular drop hitch with super strength).
My next question is this.
Once the Reese straight hitch is mounted into place, does it stay there? And you take the arms off when not towing?
Old 05-06-2012, 07:47 PM   #14
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Quote:
I can't wait to get it rigged up correctly with the WD hitch, Like I said, my sister had given me the one I formerly had, but it was not drop adjustable, just was sitting where it is at now. But we removed it and got the other (just a regular drop hitch with super strength).
My next question is this.
Once the Reese straight hitch is mounted into place, does it stay there? And you take the arms off when not towing?
Billy,

The "stinger", (part with the ball), WD bars, and friction sway control arm all come off when your not towing.

Once we get the Reese to you your code inspector friend or any RV shop can go thru the set-up procedure, it's a very straightforward, once installed it will be much easier to understand how it works....pretty simple.

I'll PM the weights as soon as I have them. Here's some reading to keep you busy in the meantime.

Bob
Old 05-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Earth calling Robert-- -- Earth calling Robert-- --
Old 05-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
Orem , Utah
I would not have to much confidence towing with that truck on freeways

If tires were super and shocks like new I might tow without WD short distances. Think WD would offer some leeway and sway control could not hurt. Now if we are talking brand new f250 diesel it would haul that around like it's not there.
starcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #17
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Earth calling Robert-- -- Earth calling Robert-- --
Billy,

PM sent.

Bob
Old 05-08-2012, 07:20 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
I PM'd back Robert.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:34 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Looks like you have chosen not to accept PM messages. Send me your e mail address and I will send you what I offer to others on how to set up a WD hitch.

If you are an in. low in the front of the trailer and riding high in the front of the truck I think your current hitch head is fine you just have to set it up correctly.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote