Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 AM   #15
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
why not go all the way and get a tractor trailer? mount that sucker right on it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:46 AM   #16
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs down Good Advise....

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
You won't pop any rivets.

I tow with a 1 ton dually with nothing more than the ball. Absolutely no problems for over 15,000 miles now.

Previously had a 3/4 ton SRW with anti sway/weight distributing hitch---contrary to popular opinion, this set up was a much rougher on the trailer with routinely thrown cushions, open cabinet doors, etc.

Load the truck the way it's meant to be loaded and go. You won't need a fancy hitch either.
Please state it correctly....."In my opinion you won't need this or that."

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Just a thought about the doomsday escape pod. It will get you to the first place you need to stop for fuel, then you will be stranded there among a hoard of other survivalists, as there will be no fuel.

doug k
Old 02-22-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattydoug View Post
Go for it! And then we can say a beetlebob and his money are soon parted! Buy the truck and all those freezers and generators, hook up the ol' 'Stream and head down the road. Then kiss goodbye to the frame on the Airstream! Go For IT!!!! Over Kill is a drastic and sad overstatement!

Why not mount the airstream on the bed of the truck? At least THAT wouldn't completely destroy it!
The guy was asking for thoughts about towing with the F 650 He didn't ask for a sarcastic attitude like alot of people have on here
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Classic
Ridgefield , Washington
Our TV is a Ram 3500 DRW & we have had no problems. P-3 hitch is wonderful. Question: if you boon dock that long....weeks...where do you dispose of black & grey tank contents?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #20
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
OK Getting a lot of different answers so I will put this out and see what happens. We want to boondock and stay out for weeks at a time. With that I am thinking of building a Ford F650 .
Check out the insurance situation very carefully. You may find that you need commercial insurance, which can be prohibitively expensive.

Quote:
Smallest with factory air ride. I will put a Reading enclosed service box on it to store all the extras I "think" I will need. Extra H2o,generator,full solar system(say 4 panels and everything needed to make it work,maybe a washer and some of those portable coolers/freezers that I saw at the RV show. Now this will be a lot of weight so I feel a 650 should handle this and still have power to pull a 31.
Do what you want, but if you add up all the weights of the things you list it's hard to push past the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, unless you're carrying a ridiculous amount of water.

Quote:
Everyone is saying I will destroy the trailer with this much truck. Now with air ride and a air ride hitch how much dama ge could I do ?????. I saw somewhere where someone uses his service truck to pull Airstreams to fix without any problems. I am a newbe want to be and can use all the input I can get to do this right the first time.
If you have the rear suspension on the truck loaded to near capacity then you'll probably be OK. But if it's lightly loaded you're going to damage the trailer.

The physics of it have to do with the enormous unsprung weight of the rear axle on a 650. The airsafe hitch won't help any more than a padded glove would if you're trying to catch a bowling ball thrown at 90 mph.

Quote:
Will be selling everything to make this move. See the world with your house what more can you ask for. Can you get a stornger frame or make it stronger? Hope you all see what I am thinking and anything you can add will be helpful.
Best advice I can give you is to look around and see what other people are doing. People have been on the road boondocking with Airstreams for decades and the consensus overall is that a 3/4 ton truck, 1 ton on the outside, is all you need. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and carries enough. If you have your own reasons for putting a service body on there, fine, but those aren't an ideal base for what you say you want to do.

Solar :: 3 large panels will fit on the Airstream itself, probably all you need. A couple more smaller panels can be shoehorned in with effort. On larger trailers it's fairly easy to expand to 4 group 27 batteries, and some people put in more than that.

Generator :: a pair of Honda eu2000i will fit in the bed of a pickup under a Tonneau cover

Water :: How much do you want to carry? I sometimes put an 82 gallon freshwater tank and a 55 gallon wastewater tank in my truck bed

Fridge/freezer :: The one in my Airstream is big enough for 5 people for at least 4-5 days and we cook, a lot; unless you need freezer space for an elk hunting trip or something you shouldn't need more than a midsize or larger trailer provides

Washer/dryer :: These do show up in some larger non-Airstream RVs but it's hard to make them work without water/sewer connections. We use coin laundry while traveling and it works out OK. If you do go this way look at the Splenda combined washer/dryer units.

Keep thinking and exploring
Old 02-22-2013, 11:57 AM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I drag my Alfa with a FL60 freightliner, close to the same with air ride rear axle. It is heavy and you feel it over speed bumps.
My insurance has increased thru the years without ticket or claims. It is listed as a RV toter for private rv use. State registration is up to commercial fees @ $500+ year.The weight of the truck (11K) has been the issue of the increase in premiums ($2K year). None of the standard carriers, Allstate, Farmers, will touch it, they start to shy away at anything over 1 ton.
I'm in process of downsizing my full time RV to a 27 EB, for fuel milage reasons, 9 towing 12 without. I will need to use this truck for a time until I sell my big rig combo. I'm thinking 3/4 ton too light with a service body with tools, toys.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you don't know the Ford F-650

If, like me, you have no idea of how large this truck is, here's a picture I found of one.

In this image, it looks like there should be an elevator accessory to allow the "little woman" to get in easily.

According to Wikipedia, "They are made mainly for use as utilitarian trucks for towing, heavy hauling, use in construction and are intended to appeal to businesses and municipalities.[1] They are mainly Class 6/7 trucks, but the 2011 model year F-750 has extended its reach into Class 8 with a GVWR of 37,000 lbs due to frame and chassis upgrades."

Used, they appear to go around $60+ thousand. No idea of new, since most of them appear to be something you would customize.

Two engines that I saw, a Cummins® ISB 6.7L Turbo Diesel and a V10 gasser. I would have though they would have a bigger motor than those, but what do I know? I am definitely NOT their typical customer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massive-car1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	179590  
Old 02-22-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Oak Creek , Arizona
That image is a bit of an exaggeration as that truck has been lifted and oversized tires added. This one has better proportions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fl8.jpg
Views:	122380
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	179591  

The Nest Egg - 2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Silverado 2500HD Chevy Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

According to Wikipedia, "They are made mainly for use as utilitarian trucks for towing, heavy hauling, use in construction and are intended to appeal to businesses and municipalities.[1] They are mainly Class 6/7 trucks, but the 2011 model year F-750 has extended its reach into Class 8 with a GVWR of 37,000 lbs due to frame and chassis upgrades."
Ha ha! I had to use Wikipedia as well!

This truck strikes me as a bit of overkill, but then I think an F150 is overkill for an Airstream. Nope, tow with what you want, even at a (probably) very poor gas mileage

"You can't tow that with that!"

http://toadsoftowedhaul.com
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #25
Birdie Momma

1957 26' Overlander
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Rutherford Co. , North Carolina
At least he'll be able to see OVER the airstream to traffic behind him, instead of THROUGH it.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:13 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That image is a bit of an exaggeration as that truck has been lifted and oversized tires added. This one has better proportions.
Where is the truck in that picture
Old 02-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Was thinking of putting tanks on truck and pump into them. Then all I have to do is move truck and come back to trailer.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Check out the insurance situation very carefully. You may find that you need commercial insurance, which can be prohibitively expensive.

Do what you want, but if you add up all the weights of the things you list it's hard to push past the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, unless you're carrying a ridiculous amount of water.

If you have the rear suspension on the truck loaded to near capacity then you'll probably be OK. But if it's lightly loaded you're going to damage the trailer.

The physics of it have to do with the enormous unsprung weight of the rear axle on a 650. The airsafe hitch won't help any more than a padded glove would if you're trying to catch a bowling ball thrown at 90 mph.
The 650 is the smallest I see from Ford with air suspension on it and also air ride seats. Once you drive with air ride seats you never go back

Best advice I can give you is to look around and see what other people are doing. People have been on the road boondocking with Airstreams for decades and the consensus overall is that a 3/4 ton truck, 1 ton on the outside, is all you need. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and carries enough. If you have your own reasons for putting a service body on there, fine, but those aren't an ideal base for what you say you want to do.

Solar :: 3 large panels will fit on the Airstream itself, probably all you need. A couple more smaller panels can be shoehorned in with effort. On larger trailers it's fairly easy to expand to 4 group 27 batteries, and some people put in more than that.
Have looked at the roof on a 31 and with 2 A/C,heat units and everything else up there I did not see a place to put 4 panels on it.
Generator :: a pair of Honda eu2000i will fit in the bed of a pickup under a Tonneau cover
Will have enough room to put a diesel whole house 10k inside. Think all the electric I will need.
Water :: How much do you want to carry? I sometimes put an 82 gallon freshwater tank and a 55 gallon wastewater tank in my truck bed

Fridge/freezer :: The one in my Airstream is big enough for 5 people for at least 4-5 days and we cook, a lot; unless you need freezer space for an elk hunting trip or something you shouldn't need more than a midsize or larger trailer provides

Washer/dryer :: These do show up in some larger non-Airstream RVs but it's hard to make them work without water/sewer connections. We use coin laundry while traveling and it works out OK. If you do go this way look at the Splenda combined washer/dryer units.

Keep thinking and exploring
Love all the pictures of the trucks also