Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-22-2013, 10:57 AM   #21
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
I drag my Alfa with a FL60 freightliner, close to the same with air ride rear axle. It is heavy and you feel it over speed bumps.
My insurance has increased thru the years without ticket or claims. It is listed as a RV toter for private rv use. State registration is up to commercial fees @ $500+ year.The weight of the truck (11K) has been the issue of the increase in premiums ($2K year). None of the standard carriers, Allstate, Farmers, will touch it, they start to shy away at anything over 1 ton.
I'm in process of downsizing my full time RV to a 27 EB, for fuel milage reasons, 9 towing 12 without. I will need to use this truck for a time until I sell my big rig combo. I'm thinking 3/4 ton too light with a service body with tools, toys.
Old 02-22-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
If you don't know the Ford F-650

If, like me, you have no idea of how large this truck is, here's a picture I found of one.

In this image, it looks like there should be an elevator accessory to allow the "little woman" to get in easily.

According to Wikipedia, "They are made mainly for use as utilitarian trucks for towing, heavy hauling, use in construction and are intended to appeal to businesses and municipalities.[1] They are mainly Class 6/7 trucks, but the 2011 model year F-750 has extended its reach into Class 8 with a GVWR of 37,000 lbs due to frame and chassis upgrades."

Used, they appear to go around $60+ thousand. No idea of new, since most of them appear to be something you would customize.

Two engines that I saw, a Cummins® ISB 6.7L Turbo Diesel and a V10 gasser. I would have though they would have a bigger motor than those, but what do I know? I am definitely NOT their typical customer!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	massive-car1.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	179590  
Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM   #23
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
That image is a bit of an exaggeration as that truck has been lifted and oversized tires added. This one has better proportions.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fl8.jpg
Views:	122523
Size:	372.7 KB
ID:	179591  

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:04 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post

According to Wikipedia, "They are made mainly for use as utilitarian trucks for towing, heavy hauling, use in construction and are intended to appeal to businesses and municipalities.[1] They are mainly Class 6/7 trucks, but the 2011 model year F-750 has extended its reach into Class 8 with a GVWR of 37,000 lbs due to frame and chassis upgrades."
Ha ha! I had to use Wikipedia as well!

This truck strikes me as a bit of overkill, but then I think an F150 is overkill for an Airstream. Nope, tow with what you want, even at a (probably) very poor gas mileage

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
asbury park , New Jersey
At least he'll be able to see OVER the airstream to traffic behind him, instead of THROUGH it.
NJtoNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:13 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
That image is a bit of an exaggeration as that truck has been lifted and oversized tires added. This one has better proportions.
Where is the truck in that picture
beetlebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:17 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Was thinking of putting tanks on truck and pump into them. Then all I have to do is move truck and come back to trailer.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:23 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
Check out the insurance situation very carefully. You may find that you need commercial insurance, which can be prohibitively expensive.

Do what you want, but if you add up all the weights of the things you list it's hard to push past the capacity of a 3/4 ton truck, unless you're carrying a ridiculous amount of water.

If you have the rear suspension on the truck loaded to near capacity then you'll probably be OK. But if it's lightly loaded you're going to damage the trailer.

The physics of it have to do with the enormous unsprung weight of the rear axle on a 650. The airsafe hitch won't help any more than a padded glove would if you're trying to catch a bowling ball thrown at 90 mph.
The 650 is the smallest I see from Ford with air suspension on it and also air ride seats. Once you drive with air ride seats you never go back

Best advice I can give you is to look around and see what other people are doing. People have been on the road boondocking with Airstreams for decades and the consensus overall is that a 3/4 ton truck, 1 ton on the outside, is all you need. Cheaper to buy, cheaper to run, and carries enough. If you have your own reasons for putting a service body on there, fine, but those aren't an ideal base for what you say you want to do.

Solar :: 3 large panels will fit on the Airstream itself, probably all you need. A couple more smaller panels can be shoehorned in with effort. On larger trailers it's fairly easy to expand to 4 group 27 batteries, and some people put in more than that.
Have looked at the roof on a 31 and with 2 A/C,heat units and everything else up there I did not see a place to put 4 panels on it.
Generator :: a pair of Honda eu2000i will fit in the bed of a pickup under a Tonneau cover
Will have enough room to put a diesel whole house 10k inside. Think all the electric I will need.
Water :: How much do you want to carry? I sometimes put an 82 gallon freshwater tank and a 55 gallon wastewater tank in my truck bed

Fridge/freezer :: The one in my Airstream is big enough for 5 people for at least 4-5 days and we cook, a lot; unless you need freezer space for an elk hunting trip or something you shouldn't need more than a midsize or larger trailer provides

Washer/dryer :: These do show up in some larger non-Airstream RVs but it's hard to make them work without water/sewer connections. We use coin laundry while traveling and it works out OK. If you do go this way look at the Splenda combined washer/dryer units.

Keep thinking and exploring
Love all the pictures of the trucks also
Old 02-22-2013, 01:25 PM   #29
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Towing with a service truck

I tow with a truck that weighs in at 13k with an airsafe hitch. I think my airstream is pretty cool but not smart enough to know what's towing it when the airsafe insulates all the shock from my trucks suspension. Now.. that being said.. if I didnt have to tow with such a big truck I wouldn't just for ease of backing and tight turns but otherwise IMO I think its fine.

Vinnie
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2011 dodge service truck.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	179607  

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Know that this truck is overkill but what smaller truck has the turning radius of this one,or air ride with air seats.This truck comes with the same wheel base as a XLT so it is not really bigger just taller. Only looking at king cab not crew cab.Also looks like I can get a golf cart or motor cycle inside it with just a ramp or build a winch inside to pull it up. Many positives and some negatives. With the size of fuel tanks I can get can go a long way before stopping and If I am worried about fuel milage I would just stay home in my S&Bs and go nowhere. Thanks for all the gppd answers and I am sure I will get some more slammers and this is ok to. Makes me look at things from all angles. So if all you can do is slam go ahead does not make me look bad
Old 02-22-2013, 01:52 PM   #31
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Please state it correctly....."In my opinion you won't need this or that."

Bob

Seriously??

The majority of statements on this forum are opinion---that's obvious.

Why not just say that in your opinion, a smaller tow vehicle with an elaborate hitch is the appropriate setup?
random 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I really do not understand how stiffer springs in the truck that make the hitch move up and down less beats the Airstream up more?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #33
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
Seriously??

Why not just say that in your opinion, a smaller tow vehicle with an elaborate hitch is the appropriate setup?

Yes...In my opinion that is dead wrong…. and as such cannot be proven otherwise.

Sorry, if I wasn't clear on that.....seriously.

Bob
Old 02-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
If, like me, you have no idea of how large this truck is, here's a picture I found of one.
Wow! I'm having trouble parking at the grocery store with my Silverado 3/4 ton diesel. That would be quite the challenge! Also seems like you could turn it into you'd camper as is! I can't believe the size of that thing! :-)
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 06:04 PM   #35
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Yes, I have to admit, I like the look of yours better.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

1964 26' Overlander
1968 30' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
somewhere , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by azvantage View Post
Seriously??

Opinions are like ass***** everybody has one and that is part of the problem. Most of them say what they think and can't back it up with proof.
panheaddale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:10 PM   #37
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Not saying that anything we have done is right for you, but we added a 50 gallon auxiliary fuel tank to our F250, added over-the cab racks for boats, and have an over-the-bed rack for carrying whatever - firewood, anything not super weather dependent. We carry a generator in the bed with a sufficiently long cord to reach without having to move the generator. We can carry extra water in the bed of the truck but haven't had the need yet to do that. As to the washer/dryer, well, that I don't have an answer to. Solar panels can be added on the trailer, although we have not done that.

What I would suggest as a newbie is to attend 2-3 rallies where people can show you what they have done with their particular needs. Airstreams and towing vehicles are just like anything else in life - they are a compromise that best fits your most important needs. First, figure out what is most important to you (if you even know - we still try to figure this out), then see what works for you. This part should be fun!! If you get it completely wrong, how bad is that exactly? Life has worse problems.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0547.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	418.0 KB
ID:	179609  
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:15 PM   #38
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
I really do not understand how stiffer springs in the truck that make the hitch move up and down less beats the Airstream up more?
It's not the stiffer springs it's the unsprung weight. I can't provide a rigorous explanation that doesn't involve calculus and physics.
Old 02-22-2013, 07:18 PM   #39
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by beetlebob View Post
The 650 is the smallest I see from Ford with air suspension on it and also air ride seats. Once you drive with air ride seats you never go back
Might want to consider aftermarket seats

Quote:
Have looked at the roof on a 31 and with 2 A/C,heat units and everything else up there I did not see a place to put 4 panels on it.
Take a look at this thread:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f448...ort-62608.html
Old 02-23-2013, 07:00 AM   #40
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer View Post
It's not the stiffer springs it's the unsprung weight. I can't provide a rigorous explanation that doesn't involve calculus and physics.
Get in the trailer.......
Take a short ride on most any secondary road and you may be surprised how harsh the ride is, now ramp that up to Interstate speed.

A compliant suspension transfers less shock.

Bob