Old 09-28-2003, 05:48 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

noise

"I've got a knocking noise/feel from the steering column when I go around curves that has recently developed."
Rusty, I had the same clunking in the steering on my 2000 silverado 1500 and it turned out the intermediate shaft was "dry" and needed lube. At 22k you are still under warranty so chevy should be aware of the free fix. luke

Old 09-28-2003, 09:27 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Luke, I've been saving up a little list of stuff the dealer needs to fix under warranty. Mainly interior stuff. Haven't been too impressed with the selling dealers service dept.

Old 09-29-2003, 07:10 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Eric, yes the Duramax is redlined at 3200 RPM. It has 3.73 gears and as far as I know, that is the only ratio it is available in. The way it runs, it does not need 4.10 gears

John, so far so good, on our first camping trip it did 12.8 mpg, which the 454 got 9.5 mpg on in the past. Second tank, mixed freeway, city, country, horsing around to see how fast it will go, etc. 17.15 mpg. Just turned 1K miles this weekend. I am going to add a Caterpiller 2 micron fuel filter, as everyone, including a factory certified GM Duramax tech is advising everyone to do. This engine uses a high tech 23,000 PSI common rail injection system by Bosch. Many feel the OEM fuel filter, provided by GM and designed by Racor, is not doing a good enough job. The Cat filter is supposed to remove 99% of 2-7 micron particles, where the OEM filter is only 50%. Caterpillar's research indicates 7 micron dirt particles cause excessive injector wear, that is why they developed this filter. It costs around $4500 to replace all 8 injectors in a Duramax. Thankfully it has a 5 year, 100K warranty.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 07:20 AM   #18
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks for the confimation Pick. 3200 seems a bit low for a redline, but heck, I've had my head in gas engines for years now that do 6k redlines, but I do understand that diesels are totally different beasts....still 3200....that is kind of a shock to me. I'd have thought at least 4500-5000.

How is it off the line (not towing)?

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 08:51 AM   #19
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
pick

dump your rearend oil and replace with synthetic (it comes with it from the factory), your differential should be broke in by now.

you will be suprized by the color of the oil.

fourtunately they come with drain plugs on the bottom of the housing now.

10 min. job tops.

john
Old 09-29-2003, 11:19 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Eric, it's a little slow off the line, but turbo really kicks in around 1500 RPM.

John, what did you put in yours? I am thinking Amsoil. How many quarts.?
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 11:54 AM   #21
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
You know, right now I have the Auburn posi unit in my Chevy and they could care less if it's synthetic or not, but I plan on installing an Eaton 400# posi unit when I install the 3.73s soon. They cleary want only non synthetic oils back there.

Not that I think you have an Eaton in the 12 bolt rear end, but just a word or caution. GM gets into bed with a few vendors and just because it is one brand in one model year, it could be different for other model years.

Reader's digest, be very careful if you have posi on what you put in there and if you do have posi, make sure that you add the limited slip additive or chatter/chatter!

Eric
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 09-29-2003, 12:11 PM   #22
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
pick

i used mystic full synthetic 80w140, about 4 quarts as i remember.

eric,

the new trucks have 14 bolt rearends, full floater in picks case. semi floater on mine. they have the "gov" lock on them now, no more chatter or additives.

the manual i have calls for "plain" old synthetic oil, nothing else.

john
Old 09-29-2003, 12:35 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Joshua32064,

You can no longer go by the 1500, 2500, 3500, 150, 250 model designations to determine weight capacity of a truck. These numbers are used as marketing ploys. You must go by the capacities published by the manufacturer. These capacities are also marked on the door pillar of each vehicle.

For instance the 2001 through 2004 GMC/Chevy 2500HD and the 3500 trucks have the same CGVWR of 22,000 lbs. Even thought the the dual wheels of the 3500 allow for a heavier king pin rating for fifth wheel trailers, they have less of a maximum tow rating than a comparable 2500HD due to the extra weight of the dual wheels.

Another important factor when considering towing capability is Rear Gross Axle Weight Rating. Once this rating is exceeded, all other ratings are inconsequential.

Silvertwinkie,

From Mr. Ralph Holmquist of Eaton, the maker of the G80 14 bolt 11.5 inch locking differential used on the 2001-2004 2500HD and 3500:

"The maintenance schedule for the rear axle was developed by American Axle & Manufacturing and GM truck based on multiple tests. The Eaton locker does not require additional maintenance nor does it add heat to the lube. The lube will darken due to the carbon wear on the clutch surfaces, much the same as a disc brake pad & rotor. This does not damage axle components such as seals or bearings. However, a new axle can produce excessive temperatures (plus 350 degrees F) due to the ring & pinion breaking in that will break the lube additives down. Avoid high loads, trailer towing and high speed extended driving during the initial break in of the vehicle. After the break in period axle temps will level at a much lower figure. Lube changes are a good idea because the additives are replenished and contaminates such as casting sand are eliminated. The axle is filled at the factory with a synthetic 75w90 GL5 rating made by Texaco under part # 2276.
The GM service # is 12378261. This is the only lube we have done extensive testing with to insure locker compatibility. The only negative to using one of these other lubes is an increased potential for clutch chatter. This really doesn't hurt anything and can be corrected by changing the lube. I noticed in the latest GM owners manual the term "or equivalent" when referring to the lube specification. Look for a GL5 rating on the bottle to make sure the ring & pinion, seals & bearings are protected. "Limited slip additive is not needed."

One good way to protect the rear end further is to add a larger coolant oil capacity differential cover such as the Mag-Hytec. This cover also comes with a magnetic oil level dip stick and a provision for a remote oil temperature probe. The drain plug is also magnetic.

Due to marketing ploys and law suits, life is nolonger simple, if indeed it ever was! School is never over.
Old 09-29-2003, 12:53 PM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know Ralph and perhaps the 14 bolt is different than the 10 bolt, but this link is straight off Eaton's website:

http://www.traction.eaton.com/prod6.htm

For those who do not want to hyperlink here is the except taken from their site:

"What type of lubricant and limited slip additive should I use with my newly purchased Eaton Limited Slip Differential?"

"Eaton strongly recommends utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford)."

So either there is a difference in the units we are talking about (comparing apples to oranges), Ralph is wrong or the website is wrong.

I will say that this topic has been covered on the forums regarding the 30 spline 8.5" 10 bolt units and clearly there is a following of what has been suggested on the hyperlink above with positve results.

Agree totally on the break in thing and the more fluid thing 110%.

Eric
Old 09-29-2003, 05:01 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1982 34' Limited
Tidewater , Virginia
Apples and Oranges!!!

Silvertwinki you are correct for the "Limited Slip" by Eaton.

Diesel's reference to Eaton is for their Full Locking Differential.

These are two totally different in terms of lubrication required. And both references, from the same source (Eaton), are correct for their respective differential control.

There is a big difference between 14 bolt and 10 bolt rear ends as well.

Hope this hepls.
A-6E All Weather Attack Driver, BUFF
USN Aircraft Maintenance Officer, Ret.
'91 Suburban R-2500 w/BBC
'78 Honda GL-1000
'72 Triumph T-100R Daytona
dinoburb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2003, 06:40 PM   #26
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Thanks dinoburb...I knew that I was in the wrong mindset....we B-Body guys are in a world all our own......

Eric
Old 10-02-2003, 11:36 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

>>>> "Eaton strongly recommends utilizing an API-GL5 approved Mineral-Based 80W-90 Axle Lubricant and one 4-oz bottle of Limited Slip Additive (GM or Ford)."

FWIW ----

My F250 has Limited Slip, so does my Caprice wagon. I don't know if the latter posi still works. Yes, I did use that OEM limited slip additive - you _cannot_ use something from Advanced Auto parts type of place, it doesn't work. Dealer stuff is expensive but required.

And,

I have a 89 F250 "heavy duty", but it doesn't say that anywhere. No badge. Just XLT package. It does look like a base F350. Gross Vehicle Weight is 8800 lbs and the fact that the Rear Wheel bearings were full floating bearings. Ford had a 250 and 250HD because in some states anything over 7500lbs GVW had to be registered as a truck and there was no way to know then, if you had an F250 6600 GVW (with that smaller 302 engine) or F250 HD 8800 GVW.

What I don't understand is why manual tranny lowers your towing capacity. I wish I had a manual instead of 3-speed auto. In fact, with that model, you could only get the C-6 auto tranny with the factory tow package.

The F250 and up were a much bigger truck
underneath the sheet metal than the 150. The real way to tell for sure is to pull off a rear hub cap and see if you have a full floating bearing rear assembly (the axle sticks out of the wheel a few inches and has a plate cover connected by several bolts) - a truck rear axle, not a passenger car pressed in bearing, which couldn't take the weight.
Old 10-03-2003, 08:24 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Pick, John hd, and Silvertwinkie,
I'm running Amsoil 75-90 Synthetic gear lube in the rear dif. of my 2500hd with the 8.1 and Allison transmission. This is the same rear end that is in the 3500 with that engine. When I changed the rear end fluid after 2500 miles, 500 of it towing, I was surprised at the color. I had heard it was supposed to be a grape colored but who knows. I installed a Mag-Hytec aluminum extra capacity cover and filled her up with the Amsoil gear lube which incidently is light blue. I now have over 23,000 miles and the fluid is still light blue. I guess the magnetic plug in the bottom is doing its thing. Every month or so I get underneath the truck and unscrew the dipstick that is mounted at 2 o'clock on the cover and check the level. Neat feature that is also magnetized to catch metal filings. I wipe the stick of any of these metal particles (not much) and screw the dip stick back in. It is protected by an O ring to keep water from getting in. I highly recommend the Mag-Hytec unit and Amsoil combination but am sure that Royal Purple or other syn. gear lube would do well.

joshua32064,
When looking for my 2500hd just before the '02 models were to be delivered, I found several 1500hd crewcabs with the 6.0 engine first. I had already heard of them having the same carrying capacity as the 2500 light weight 8600 lb. but was looking for the 9200 lb. rated truck. I'm in Corpus Christi, TX. this week and in the last 5 days I've spotted 5 of the 1500HD trucks. They seem to like them around here.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote