Old 03-18-2015, 01:26 PM   #29
Rivet Master
2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
No Steve, it's because my 2008 V-10 is running just fine and I'll take the 3-4 mpg less in mileage compared to the $19.95 oil changes and $10 fuel filters, not to mention the .50 cent+ difference in fuel cost. Oh yeah, I forgot the initial $8,000+ cost of the diesel engine. And I don't have to worry about the front end falling apart since I have a Ford and not a Dodge.

I suggest you go back and read my post. I did not even use the word "Diesel" one time.

"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."-- Thomas Jefferson
SteveH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 03:31 PM   #30
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Originally Posted by joelisac View Post
Moflash, I like the way you think, I think. When you trade in for your next vehicle do you put down another 30%?
No,only on the first one do I put money down.The reason for the 30% down is so you are liquid and never upside down.That amount is carried over to the next vehicle and now you have equity right out of the gate again.The only sales tax I pay in my state is on the initial vehicle purchased then on the trade difference on subsequent purchases.In the 36 months you are still adding to equity so when it comes time to trade even though there is a trade difference of $15000 the payment remains the same or less on the new vehicle as I have been paying down the balance with my payments.
In order to do this you must keep your vehicle perfect.I install 3M protective film to protect the vehicle from stone chips,Weatherguard mudguards and a slide in bedliner.I wax every 3 mos and keep it detailed and serviced.When it comes time to trade I detail the vehicle (spotless even underneath)and advise the dealer that I will be removing my accessories(mudguards,bedliner etc).
They put extra clean wholesale book money in my trade as my trucks sell within 10days on the lot(dealer makes a profit).But on the day I trade my trad in is cleaner than the new vehicle.As with anything it takes some extra effort but I enjoy the results.

Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 04:06 PM   #31
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
With a lease, you are basically paying the depreciation off for the lease period. On an outright purchase, you'll be paying the whole amount for the vehicle, plus sales tax on the entire amount, and then you lose about 20% as soon as you leave the dealership. Unless one is towing constantly or towing commercially, I don't see where it makes any difference in buying or leasing a vehicle from that stand point.
You are partially correct pappy but not quite in that with a lease you are paying the depreciation (purchase price - residual value) plus interest on the entire purchase price over the term.
You pay sales tax on the payment and any down payment(capitalized cost reduction).Further more if you purchase at the end you will pay tax on the buyout.
If you trade in a leased vehicle (in a state that gives you a trade credit) without buying it at the end you receive no tax credit against the new vehicle because you were not the owner you were the Lessee(renting with option to buy).

Leases become attractive when a Manufacturer sets a high residual (exceeding 60% at times for 36mos) and a subsidized low interest rate (lease factor)of say .5% APR or less.

BMW and Mercedes do this on a regular basis to gain market share.In this case you do not want to buy the vehicle at the end of term as the buy out is higher than the actual value,so its time exercise your walk away option.
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 01:40 PM   #32
1992 25' Excella
Leamington , Ontario
Anyone have any issues with their MDS system on the HEMI? Any front suspension or rear differential problems? These seem to be problem areas with RAMs according to my Internet research.
Boomerstream One - Live Riveted!
Leamington, ON
cramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 02:07 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not a single problem in 40,000 miles on our 2012 Ram 1500, lots of Airstream towing. Still on original tires.
ckottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 03:15 PM   #34
Rivet Master
1973 25' Tradewind
Ringoes , New Jersey
115,000 miles

115,000 ,miles on my 2009 Ram, no problems, just oil and tires etc. MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM   #35
Full Time Adventurer
2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
0 problems with ours and almost to 95K and this is a testament to what kind of road trippers we are... we bought the truck July 7th 2014 with 72K on the clock. :|

Previous owner had all service records, no problems.

Family of 4 living, working & exploring the USA in our Airstream.
BoldAdventure is offline   Reply With Quote