Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-11-2006, 02:27 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Used Diesels

My parents are moving overseas so they are giving me their 31ft 1978 trailer. I don't have a TV that can pull something like that right now so I am lookin at getting a 3/4 ton diesel truck. I can't afford a new one so I'm looking at used ones less than 5years old. I'd prefer a Ford or Dodge because I don't like the looks od the GMs. However, if I found a GM or an older model at a decent price, I probably wouldn't pass it up.

Are there any issues that I should look for? Any models to avoid?
Asianflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:34 AM   #2

1966 20' Globetrotter
Stanley , North Carolina
Diesel Trucks

I have had experience with the Fords, Dodges, and Chevrolets. I have owned all versions of the Ford Diesels except the non-DI turbo 7.3L, 16v and 32v Cummins and the 6.5 Chev Diesels. These trucks hold their value so well, I would strongly recommend you purchase either a new one, or an older than 5 years used one. Unlike cars, these type trucks don't take a huge dip in value. The uncertainty of the 2007 emmissions may may late model used diesel truck prices jump.

Many RV'ers seem to be going to the Duramax Diesels. I've seen as many of these as Ford's lately. I've never owned one of these because Chevrolet never put it in the 3500HD's. With an Allsion transmission, this may be a great combo. Plus, Chevrolets seem to have a definate edge in interior fit, finish and quality. Historically, the Chevrolets I've driven seem to ride better than the Fords and Dodges, but won't handle a load as well. The Ford "leather" interiors, unless they've changed them, was leather in the sitting area of the front seat only. Everything else was vinyl. Seemed like a rip for the extra charge of the Lariat.

I think the Cummins is the best engine, but Dodges have had their share of transmission troubles in the past, and their interior fit and finish seems to be worse than the Ford. Ford's also had transmission problems until they redesigned it on the 1999. We presently have several 2004 powerstroke trucks in our fleet. That was the first year of the 6.0L engine, and we've had tons of problems with them. Based on my experience, I would consider a '02 or '03 7.3L if you want to go with a Ford, that would be the ultimate refinement of the 7.3 powerstroke.

That's my experience with trucks, hope this helps.

Mark Pate
Stanley,NC
specauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 05:41 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Mark sums it up very well with his review of the three manufacturers. You can't go wrong with a diesel as far as a TV in my opinion. The interior of these trucks will most likely wear out before you experience any engine problems. Good luck with your choice.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
I looked for a month or two before finding a 97 Ford PSD 7.3 I could afford. Prices are quite high for used diesels, and many have lots of mileage on them. I visited a number of forums before buying to be sure I would make an intelligent decision. Like any forum, take what you read with caution, but htere is a lot of good info. I found the Chevrolets out of my range, the Dodges most affordable but could not find one in decent condition near me, and the Ford seems to have the jury on its side for reliability and value.

Check out http://www.intellidog.com/dieselmann/home.html

http://www.powerstrokeforum.com/forum/index.php

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 09:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 28' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Edmonds comparison test results

Don't take my word (I tried them all before I bought in late 2003). 2006 HD truck comparison test.

Enjoy,
KL
Old 07-11-2006, 06:09 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Goose Creek , South Carolina
I'm biased to the Dodge do the cummins engine, in my opinon this is the only real medium duty engine in the pickup truck market, go to www.turbodieselregister.com I have owned a 7.3 and there is no comparison to the 5.9, older Dodges can be had at resonable prices if there is no need for a crew cab since only Ford and Chevy offered them before 03.
Holzarbeiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
santa barbara , California
The cummins in the dodge with the multi valve engine or the ford with the powerstroke 7.3 .I found the 6.0 to be a real problem with the fuel injectors
alot ,big money to repair ,they did have that engine in the 03 .
just sat NO to the 6.0 as the ones in the fleet I service as specauto has stated have too many problems including the turbo charger ,rear y pipe
etc. last time I bought a turbo for a 6.0 my local ford dealer had 8 in stock.
stocked lots of injectors too.The latest duramax is supposed to be very good
and some new ford made diesel (not an international ) with twin turbos hmm.

Scott
scottanlily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
How long......'till she leaves me... how long..'till she's gone

Depending on how you intend to use the diesel tow when not on a roadtrip.... You may want to consider a newer diesel truck, buy and hold.. lots of diesel truck owners drive 'till they die......and that may be an ungodly amount of miles. If this is your strategy, buy what you want now, write it off if you own a business it weighs plenty (NOTE: consult you tax advisor before taking random advice from a "forum buddy"....END NOTE)....or just hang on to it, they're all good work horses. This is our first diesel and the kinks, as previously stated, seemed to be worked out of the newer 6.0L PSD. We're very happy with our '05 F250.
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:25 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Thanks for all the info! I've read that Ford 6.0l have problems but I figured that they were isolated cases because they were single postings. All your comments are in line with what I've found. These things really hold their value. I've found a few affordable ones but they had a kabillion miles on them. High mileage isn't a big issue with me, these things are supposed to last and last right?

Crew cab isn't a necessary option but nothing less than an extended cab, I need to store my in cab junk. I don't like the last body style Dodges because they are just TOO LOUD.

I have a few months to look, I'm not picking up the trailer for a few months, and we probably won't use for a few months after that.
Old 07-12-2006, 05:52 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1997 30' Excella
Waddell , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianflava
Thanks for all the info! I've read that Ford 6.0l have problems but I figured that they were isolated cases because they were single postings. All your comments are in line with what I've found. These things really hold their value. I've found a few affordable ones but they had a kabillion miles on them. High mileage isn't a big issue with me, these things are supposed to last and last right?

Crew cab isn't a necessary option but nothing less than an extended cab, I need to store my in cab junk. I don't like the last body style Dodges because they are just TOO LOUD.

I have a few months to look, I'm not picking up the trailer for a few months, and we probably won't use for a few months after that.
Avoid the 03 6.0 powered Fords!! An 02 or early 03 7.3 powered truck would be a good choice. Don't buy anything that isn't stock or nearly stock, ESPECIALLY a 6.0 powered truck. A different exhaust system is OK but "chipped" trucks are to be avoided.

Before you veto a crewcab DRIVE ONE! I owned an 01 Supercab Ford then bought an 02 crewcab, almost couldn't believe how much "tighter" and quieter the crewcab is compared to the Supercab. There is a reason Ford sells more crewcab Super Duty trucks than Supercabs!

My 05 6.0 powered crewcab is the best truck I've ever owned. Quiet, very powerful, and to date 100% reliable. 26,000 miles in 17 months, nearly 1/2 of that towing. Best mileage 18.5 solo highway running 75 MPH, worst 10.0 towing in a headwind @ 65 MPH.
1997 30' Excella (SOLD)
Steve Heywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2006, 10:44 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Steve is right ,no 6.0 03 ,injector troubles galore ,turbos as posted before .
They have gotten alot corrected as well as the injectors.Worked on an 03
today ,holy smokes ,injector number 8 bit the dust ,this truck has had 3
sets of injectors (fleet vehical) in 129000 miles ,the replacement injectors
are ford but remanafactured NOT new ,287 dollars each.So steer away
from the early 6.0 .

Scott
Old 07-13-2006, 11:18 PM   #12
Rivet Master

I went through this same process, and came to the conclusion that the ultimate diesel TV for a 6500 pound Airstream should be Cummins powered (will outlast me!), mechanical injection pump (too many expensive complexities with the electronic pumps for my liking), quad cab (for dry storage and carrying grandchildren to the beach), long wheelbase (for towing stability), and used, so someone else took the initial depreciation hit. The vehicle that satisfies these criteria is the pre the middle of 1998 model 12 valve Cummins 5.9 litre turbo diesel Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab long wheelbase truck. I asked a licensed dealer to keep an eye out for one of these at auction, and to buy up to my limit. I've had 5 happy years of towing since then. (If you get one, just make sure the "killer dowel pin" has been secured. Pennies to fix it, thousands if you neglect it)
Nick.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:58 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
I agree with Nick, early 98 is the best 12v, the problem is that they tend to be overpriced. Don't shy away from the 98.5 to 2002 24v the biggest problem these trucks had, was with the lift pump (fuel transfer pump), they have a high failure rate. This would cause a problem for the VP44 injection pump since it uses the fuel to cool and lubricate verses motor oil on the 12v. A new lift pump is around 150-200 verses the VP44 1000-1400. There are a multitude of solutions to this problem, the main one is monitoring fuel pressure with a gauge mounted inside the cab. I have a 99 24v with over 167000 miles and I only experienced 1 lift pump failure and am still on the original VP44.
The late 2001 and 2002 are the better models (IMO), higher HP ratings and disc brakes on the rear.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:10 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I recently found this in a magazine:

Ford to Offer Incentives to '03 and '04 Power Stroke Owners

Between the launch of the '03 Super Duty equipped with the Power Stroke 6.0-liter Dieser and December of '05, Ford had issued more than 75 technical service bullitens concerning the truck. In an effort to win back the owners, Ford announced a $2500 loyalty bonus to owners of 2003 and 2004 F-Series Super Duty pickups fitted with the optional 6.0-liter Power Stroke. Ford says that they have fixed the primary issues with the early Power Stroke.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:32 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
I read the Edmunds article and found that it, along with some of your suggestions, may sway my decision. I still think the Chevy is ugly but the GMC still looks fine.

Other than the exterior styling, are there any differences between the Chevy and GMC?
Old 07-16-2006, 05:43 AM   #16
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
don't discount the chevys just yet.

you may want to consider a pre duramax 6.5 turbo. i have one, (1997) as a second truck and have retired it to snow plowing duty.

the only reason i don't use it more for towing is because i have a '00 silverado (gas).

over the years it has been an excellent tow vehicle with plenty of power and a rugged transmission. in fact it uses the same tranny as my '00, the 4L80E.

the only significant problem i have had was the pump mounted injection driver. it went out at 70,000 miles. it was covered by warrenty.

so in the end i have a reliable tow vehicle as a back up, and one heck of a plow truck!

john
Old 07-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
I wouldn't touch a 6.0 Ford, they claim it is fixed then why are they comming out with a new diesel. I know people in the diesel repair industry and last I heard there are 28 pages of TSB's on the 6.0. Go with GM or Dodge.
Old 07-16-2006, 11:18 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asianflava

Other than the exterior styling, are there any differences between the Chevy and GMC?
Smokey Yunick used to say that the GMC was the only truck designed by two sets of engineers - Chevrolet designed the truck and GMC designed the emblems. He had that in the paper when he was closing out his GMC dealership in Daytona.

Neal
uncleneal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1960 24' Tradewind
Hello eveyone,

Back in the day the GMC was the heavy duty choice ,I own a 50 chevy cabover engine truck I use for my repair service .It originaly had a 6 cylinder 235 high pressure oiling engine .The cab over engine GMC however used a
261 heavy duty truck engine 6 cylinder ,much beefier as the 235 came in the cars but were mostley low pressure oiling engines ,so then the difference was big ,today its the badging thats different really.

Scott
Old 07-16-2006, 03:46 PM   #20
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
For what its worth, Dodge is offering some awesome deals right now. They have this "employee pricing" thing going with zero percent financing. It saves a bundle. My buddy just bought a hemi powered half ton truck and saved $7K off the asking price.

The company I used to work for bought it's fleet off Chrysler, and I got that discount plus the Dodge Days discount when I bought my Cummins. I saved over $8K that way, but I didn't get zero percent financing.

Everybody I know that's ever had a Cummins powered Dodge has basically just poured fuel in it and gone. I know guys with 300,000 miles on them and the engines never fail. None of the guys I know have had tranny problems either. One guy shredded the rear end, but that was fixed easily enough.

I've had mine for just under two years now, and I have done absolutely nothing to it other than change the oil Just put the key in and go. It pulls my '77 31 footer like it's not even back there.

Good luck with whatever you choose.