Old 06-10-2008, 02:50 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Westlake , Ohio
here's a pic i took last fall, before i had the haha. the t/v is a little low in the rear, but that has been corrected.

Old 06-17-2008, 04:53 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Fresno/Clovis , California
Its good to see someone else towing with a durango. I am using my daughters Durango 2005 5.7 and only towed AS home, about 60 miles. I noticed some porpoiseing, and plan on putting new shocks Rancho r9000xl which are adjustable 1-9 9 being stiff. I used these on a pickup and was impressed I could tune suspension to minimize porpoise, sway and wind effect out of tow vehicle. In that situation I ran front at 5 rear at 9, then set all back to 1 for normal driving.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
I towed with two Durangos, an '01 with 4.7 and then a 5.3. I towed a 32' Coachmen with the 4.7. The trailer weighed 9000lbs, I weighed the tongue myself and found it to be 1530lbs. (really, never believe the brochure). The Hensley had heavy duty bars. Of course, the Durango still squatted a bit.

I worked for DaimlerChrysler at the time (engineering) so I ended up with a 3rd Durango, though it was the same set up as the second with the 5.3. I was impressed with the towing. Never any issues.

I have a photo around here somewhere of my little 4.7 hooked up to that beast of a trailer. The Hensley definately makes the difference with a short wheel based vehicle.
Hensley Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
We're also towing a 28 ft with a TV of similar capacity as the Durango. We're still evaluating the combination. We're in the southern Rockies and we're finding that we bog down a little on some of the steeper hills. We're thinking that we may have to move up to a 3/4 ton diesel. We really don't want to do that since our current 1/2 ton TV also doubles for daily transportation. We'll just have to wait and see how it performs on some of our upcoming trips. If we were in the mid-west we could probably be OK with the current set-up but some of the western hills are killers! Time will tell.

One thing for certain... we love the layout of the '08 28 ft Safari!

Air 10899 since 1/06
WBCCI 2484
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 09:30 AM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I tried a number of vehicles, including a Toyota 4runner with v8 and air shocks... Seemed to work, but it was a strain on it. I got 11 mpg.

On curiosity I dug into the numbers with the help of the Forums, and found towing capacity is highly misleading. I had to consider load capacity on the hitch and for the vehicle. Turns out, even with an adequate tow capacity, the numbers said 3/4 ton for a 25' Safari. Now, with minimum loading, it was barely in the range with a 1/2 ton, but did I want to trust the whole family to a vehicle at the top of its towing capacity? What if I miscalculated? What if I get the big wind from the side? What if a shock blows? Entering on ramps that are uphill? Do I want the trailer driving the truck?

See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...tml#post456088 for the numbers and some spreadsheets.
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 03:37 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
A 3/4 ton is overkill for a 25' Safari. It's a waste of money and gas. A small tow vehicle oufitted with a good brake controller and a sway elimination hitch is much safer than a 3/4 ton with a low end controller and friction control hitch.

The best part of owning an Airstream is that they are the safest and easiest towing trailers on the market. That's what you paid for. Tow it with something economical and comfortable.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:04 PM   #21
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron View Post
A 3/4 ton is overkill for a 25' Safari. It's a waste of money and gas. A small tow vehicle oufitted with a good brake controller and a sway elimination hitch is much safer than a 3/4 ton with a low end controller and friction control hitch.

The best part of owning an Airstream is that they are the safest and easiest towing trailers on the market. That's what you paid for. Tow it with something economical and comfortable.
Agree completely Ron. We have towed our 23 with two different smallish V6 vehicles over the last 6 years. 16MPG towing, over 25 MPG (Imp gal)solo. Couldn't be happier. Wouldn't change a thing.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:39 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Bozeman , Montana
I certainly would have preferred a lighter, better mileaged vehicle, but I towed with a forerunner and had a problem. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post546994
for an interesting ride. Maybe my truck was too light, but I am STILL glad I had an Airstream.

So the numbers say what they say.... I just didn't feel safe with towing something at
the high end of its capacity. Now that I am in the middle of the tow capacity I feel much better. Call it paranoia (go ahead, I do too)
"Its better to light just one candle than to curse the darkness,
Unless you're blinded by the light..."
hshovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 08:58 PM   #23
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hshovic View Post
I certainly would have preferred a lighter, better mileaged vehicle, but I towed with a forerunner and had a problem. See http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...tml#post546994
for an interesting ride. Maybe my truck was too light, but I am STILL glad I had an Airstream.

So the numbers say what they say.... I just didn't feel safe with towing something at
the high end of its capacity. Now that I am in the middle of the tow capacity I feel much better. Call it paranoia (go ahead, I do too)
Sometimes it's not the idea of getting a larger or heavier vehicle for towing but instead choosing the more qualified vehicle or ones that have a reputation for towing performance regardless of weight or size.

I was at a towing seminar last winter and the Toyota 4 runner was used as an example of "How not to design a TV". No wonder you were not happy with it.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:27 AM   #24
2 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Currently Looking...
Oxford , Michigan
Exactly. Any manufacturer can solve the towing issue with brute force. The comanies that use engineering to give us economical tow vehicles will get my business.

Speaking of, some of these crossover vehicles are looking interesting. I saw GM's newest in the newspaper this morning (In SE Michigan, we get play by play reports on the auto industry). I'd like to see that one hooked to a 26' trailer. Maybe Trailer Life will have that for us soon. The fuel economy was 26mpg highway, 20 city.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:32 AM   #25
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Ruler View Post
I was at a towing seminar last winter and the Toyota 4 runner was used as an example of "How not to design a TV". No wonder you were not happy with it.
so...what is it about the 4-runner that makes it a particularly bad tv...other than simply being "too darn small"?
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:14 PM   #26
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hensley Ron View Post
Exactly. Any manufacturer can solve the towing issue with brute force. The comanies that use engineering to give us economical tow vehicles will get my business.

Speaking of, some of these crossover vehicles are looking interesting. I saw GM's newest in the newspaper this morning (In SE Michigan, we get play by play reports on the auto industry). I'd like to see that one hooked to a 26' trailer. Maybe Trailer Life will have that for us soon. The fuel economy was 26mpg highway, 20 city.
Yes Ron, another interesting prospect is the "new to the show rooms" Ford Flex. We did check one out just the other day.
This vehicle is very wide with IRS. Long wheelbase and short rear overhang with car like low centre of gravity. The V6 has 260 HP mated with a 6 speed tranny which should give reasonable fuel mileage. A good test with trailer in tow is needed to confirm but it looks promising.

Ford Vehicles: All-New 2009 Ford Flex - Introducing the Newest Crossover from Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
so...what is it about the 4-runner that makes it a particularly bad tv...other than simply being "too darn small"?
If the 4 Runner had the many quality attributes that the Flex has I would speculate it would be a far better TV. Suggest you get a note off to Andy T who held the seminar. Apparently he has worked with and test driven the 4 Runners with TT's in tow and labeled them as a result of his experiances.
Old 06-25-2008, 08:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 23' FB Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
IIRC, the Flex is or was a potential Explorer replacement. It shows some family resemblance, and would seem to fit the medium-sized niche. Current economics may force that decision, since the news is currently writing the SUV's obituary.

Not too many years down the road our truck-based medium-sized TV will be ready for replacement, and I sure hope the market will offer something of comparable size with reasonable towing capacity. Of course, there's always talk of next generation "little diesel" pickups.