Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-13-2014, 11:32 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That is one reason the 34 gallon stock tank was swapped for a 56 gallon tank in the same location.
Switz - Did you swap your OEM tank for a Titan replacement? You know I love the Titan tanks (swapped the 25 gallon on my 2011 F-350 SRW with a Titan 50 gallon), wouldn't mind doing it once more on the 2013 Ram 2500 (34 gallons for 56 gallon replacement) if I do ever head back West for an extended trip or two...
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 11:53 AM   #82
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Derwood , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by kscherzi View Post
What's the largest trailer successfully being towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee?
I towed a 25FB Classic with my Diesel Touareg all over the country and it towed very well (the Pro Pride was a tremendous help). That 405lbs torque of the diesel engine (coupled to a great transmission) never was lacking for power as I went over the Sierra Nevada’s, Rockies, Appalachian mountains, etc.

That being said, I felt I was on the very edge of my weight limits (max payload of the Touareg due to tongue weight of my heavy Classic 25FB Airstream) and was uber, uber, uber, cautious to what I would place into the Touareg (only one passenger with bags & tools in Airstream) and kept most of my items in the very aft of the Airstream to keep tongue weight to the minimum as well as keeping my propane levels pretty low, always towing with the tanks (fresh water, black & grey) empty.

Knowing quite well that the weight limitations (payload, max tongue, etc.) of the Touareg match up almost exactly to the Grand Cherokee (I own a 2014 SRT Grand Cherokee so I have the vehicle and manual) - I would go no larger than a 23 foot Airstream if I were to tow with my Grand Cherokee (even with my 465 pounds torque and 470 horses of the SRT) due to the tongue weights. Perhaps, maybe a 25fb Airstream in Flying Cloud or International would work but I would be back to worrying about my "weight and balance" potential issues.

It's nice to have a modern 3/4 ton truck with diesel, as comfortable as my Touareg and SRT Grand Cherokee, that I can load up both trailer and truck and not worry about payload (I have a 27FB now) as well as fresh water tanks, max propane, etc.

Interesting side bar, both my old diesel Touareg and my current SRT Grand Cherokee have more available max payload than the 2013 F-150 EcoBoost that I owned for one week as configured from Ford….
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 07:12 PM   #83

2012 27' FB Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
Making right choice?

Hi folks -- we are new to the Airstream world, and haven't towed a trailer for many years -- been doing class A and class B motorhomes.

We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel on order and are looking at a 2012 27FB Classic...

The weights look heavy, but the RV dealer assures us that the Jeep can be configured to tow this trailer, by boosting the Class IV hitch that comes with to a Class V and adding the proper weight distribution hitch. Don't know what brand they will recommend.

JeepGC TW 720, max tow 7200; 27FB Classic TW 792, Dry wt 6672, GVWR 9000. Payload supposed to be 1150, but can't verify it or axle wts for our specific vehicle until we get it and see the door post.

We are used to travelling light in a Class B, so won't be loading a lot.

Wondering... are we nuts? or being sold? or does this combination actually make sense?

All wisdom gratefully received.
RosNan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 08:38 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I also tow a 27FB, but with a Ford Expedition. The Jeep has a little more power and is lighter so should be a quicker TV. Payload is quite a bit less, on the margin if you figure a 1,000 lb tongue weight. Tow capacity, to me, is not a big problem as my trailer CAT scaled weighed fully loaded for camping was hundreds lbs less than GVWR.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 10:26 PM   #85
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosNan View Post
Hi folks -- we are new to the Airstream world, and haven't towed a trailer for many years -- been doing class A and class B motorhomes.

We have a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland Diesel on order and are looking at a 2012 27FB Classic...

The weights look heavy, but the RV dealer assures us that the Jeep can be configured to tow this trailer, by boosting the Class IV hitch that comes with to a Class V and adding the proper weight distribution hitch. Don't know what brand they will recommend.

JeepGC TW 720, max tow 7200; 27FB Classic TW 792, Dry wt 6672, GVWR 9000. Payload supposed to be 1150, but can't verify it or axle wts for our specific vehicle until we get it and see the door post.

We are used to travelling light in a Class B, so won't be loading a lot.

Wondering... are we nuts? or being sold? or does this combination actually make sense?

All wisdom gratefully received.
Take a look at my post (#58) in this thread. I'm towing a 25' FB Classic with my Grand Cherokee CRD. With a driver, one passenger, and no cargo in the Jeep, I'm max'ed out on the front and rear axle weights. I spent a couple of days and several trips to the CAT scales tweaking the setup to get all the weights within limits.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 06:32 PM   #86
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
I have posted numerous entries describing my extremely positive experiences towing a 25' Safari and now a 30' 2012 International with my 2008 Jeep GC diesel. My 2014 Jeep GC diesel is made but not shipped, should be here soon. I expect it to be even better than the 2008 due to the slight increase in torque. I have no concerns at all about any of its ability to handle its job based on the performance of my previous Jeeps. In the US, my only concern would be related to the performance of the dealers based on their extremely limited experience with anything related to the diesel and my negative experience with trying to get service work done in the US. The dealers in Canada are better, marginally, but I have had excellent experience with independent repair shops in Canada. Jim
Old 02-28-2014, 03:22 PM   #87

2012 27' FB Classic
Victoria , British Columbia
Thanks Terry and Jim... hearing your experience is helpful.

We're now investigating what type of hitch assembly will be recommended by RV dealer (an authorized Airstream dealer). Unfortunately we are far in the west, wish there was dealer out here with the knowledge you describe finding at CanAm in London.
RosNan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 11:53 AM   #88
flygrrl

1962 19' Globetrotter
Winchester , Ontario
Diesel GC

I love love my 2007 diesel Jeep, and the dealership in Ottawa so far has been very good. Independent garage said I needed upper ball joints, yikes. Dealership had a look and came to the conclusion that it was only bushings that were needed, much less cash, and now clunk is gone. This vehicle loves the highway and is super comfortable for long long drives. Not a city car due to turbo lag but on the open road, towing, she shines.
Leonie
flygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote