Old 12-31-2013, 06:40 PM   #57
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
You are making my life easier. I was lurking at the Jeep forum, looking for a bike rack solution and see that you may have found one. I googled "bright lines", but can't seem to find the one you were able to locate through Amazon. I like the idea of being able to move my old Thule stuff over. Still feeling cold, check out Winnipeg for some comfort. Jim

Found it. I am thinking my existing Thule system may fit. I am just going to have to wait and see. Jan 6 shipping date. Jim

Old 01-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
A quick update:
I think I finally have the Propride hitch and Direclink brake controller dialed in. It was a bit of a wrestling match with the Air Suspension, but I followed JamuJoes advice to overcome the Jeep's "Hal 9000." With the 2014 you disable the Air Suspension through the Uconnect soft keys by placing it in "tire jack mode."
Everything else is pretty much the same as the 2012 model.
Here are my stats after weighing, tweaking, weighing again, etc...
GAWR Front 3200lb Actual w/trailer 3140lb
GAWR Rear 3700lb Actual w/trailer 3700lb
28' FB Classic attached to jeep 6600lb
Max combined 6800lb + 7200lb = 14000lb
Actual combined = 13440

Jeep loading (driver and 1 passenger, full fuel, 1/2 tank DEF, no cargo)
Trailer loading (full propane tanks, full fresh water tank (54 gal), empty gray and black water tanks, full refer, cargo for 5 days dry camping)

I'll be off line for a few days, but I'll report back with CRD performance data the next time I log in.
Okay, here's a recap of my towing experience to and from Las Vegas:

- Engine performance
-- It out pulls my 2011 Grand Cherokee Hemi
-- Oil and Coolant temps were a concern on long uphill pulls. Slowing from
55 mph to 50 stabilized oil temp at 257 and coolant temp never went into the
red zone
-- fuel consumption averaged 19.5 mpg Las Vegas to Pasadena and 18.4 mpg
on return trip
- Transmission performance
--Smooth and appropriate shifts. Transmission temp hovered around 195 and
never climbed above 203
- Direclink brake controller worked extremely well with my electric/hydraulic
brake system.
- Propride hitch worked as advertised. Big rigs passing me at 75 mph while I was
doing 55 were no problem.

Old 01-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Thanks for the update, Terry. I'm curious about your concerns over oil temp. What was the max oil temp? Did you see a high temp warning? I don't find specific oil temp guidance in the owners manual.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:40 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
terryg -

Good stats, thanks for posting.

I've done some searching on max temps and they seem to be hard to find. For example, some Cummins engines are rated at 235 max while newer ones seem to be rated at 275.

Based on my experience with a '07 ML Merc diesel, your oil temps do sound high. I monitor with a ScanGuage II and change my driving behavior as temperatures exceed 205 and I do my best not to exceed 210. Like the Cummins, they are different engines and most likely have different specs.

Like JamuJoe, I'd be curious to hear what the max specs are. In this article, there appears to be a lot of aluminum used in that engine -- I'd be cautious until you're sure.

John
Old 01-03-2014, 07:53 PM   #61
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I'd like to know the exact transmission temps. When you have a gauge such as yours it maybe too late when near the red. The outside temps were also somewhat low this time of year. Summer temps will increase operating temps on the tow vehicle
Old 01-03-2014, 09:01 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Thanks for the update, Terry. I'm curious about your concerns over oil temp. What was the max oil temp? Did you see a high temp warning? I don't find specific oil temp guidance in the owners manual.
The max engine oil temp I saw was 257 F. There was no high temp warning. I'm just being careful and monitoring all the gauges and EVIC available info. The owners manual and diesel supplement just say to slow down when alarms, warning lights, and sirens go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I'd like to know the exact transmission temps. When you have a gauge such as yours it maybe too late when near the red. The outside temps were also somewhat low this time of year. Summer temps will increase operating temps on the tow vehicle
The transmission is pretty bulletproof. It has an onboard heat exchanger which keeps the temp pretty close to 195 F at all times. Yes, the onboard gauges/EVIC info are probably dithered so instantaneous temps are probably not happening. I do monitor trend info closely. I just may be spending a little more time in the slow lane this summer.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:18 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
So what sort of grades and distances were these "long hills"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying you were proactive and never got an alarm from the computers, but you did reduce your speed to 50ish for long uphill grades because you saw the oil temps climbing, right?

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:49 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
My "actual payload value" is 1080lb according to the door post sticker. I have a 4x4 Overland w/Advanced Tech option and Off Road option. I don't recall the rear axle ratio, but it's the one and only one that comes with the CRD. You can see from my previous post my tongue heavy FB Airstream and 2 medium size adults pretty much max's out the payload on the 4x4 CRD.
According to the online owners manual the payload is minus 150 lbs allowance for the driver. A small consolation. As long as you're within axle ratings that's good.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:50 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So what sort of grades and distances were these "long hills"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying you were proactive and never got an alarm from the computers, but you did reduce your speed to 50ish for long uphill grades because you saw the oil temps climbing, right?
Cajon Pass out of L.A. is around 4000'. After that there are a number of shorter grades as you traverse the Soda Mtns. I really didn't measure distances and grades but I'd say 6% for several miles with an OAT of around 60 F.

Yes, I reduced my speed to keep my oil temp under 250 and my coolant temp out of the red. It's a new Jeep and I'm not excited about testing to failure.
Old 01-03-2014, 11:01 PM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Cajon Pass out of L.A. is around 4000'. After that there are a number of shorter grades as you traverse the Soda Mtns. I really didn't measure distances and grades but I'd say 6% for several miles with an OAT of around 60 F.

Yes, I reduced my speed to keep my oil temp under 250 and my coolant temp out of the red. It's a new Jeep and I'm not excited about testing to failure.
I understand you not wanting to break your Jeep, I was just curious how hard you had to work it to get to those temps. I'm interested in the performance of that VM Motori V6, both in the Jeep and the RAM.

Looks like Cajon is a 6% grade for about 12 miles, if various internet sources are to be believed. Nothing to sneeze at, towing a nice heavy Classic.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 11:37 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Suspension and brakes should also come into consideration when discussing AS above GVWR 6,000 plus.
Old 01-04-2014, 09:09 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oil Temp

Quote:
The max engine oil temp I saw was 257 F. There was no high temp warning. I'm just being careful and monitoring all the gauges and EVIC available info. The owners manual and diesel supplement just say to slow down when alarms, warning lights, and sirens go off.

Terry,
I understand your caution. As well instrumented as this engine is, and with quality synthetic oil, I'm not very worried, but will monitor oil and transmission temps. I've sent a query about oil temp operating range to Chrysler. I towed our FC23FB with our 08 GC Diesel (Mercedes) for over 30,000 mi in all conditions without any overheating problems (and without knowing actual oil temps). Now that I have temp info on the EVIC however, I want to know operating ranges. With this engine, the computer will determine oil change intervals based upon actual usage, not just mileage. It will be interesting to see how towing affects such.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 10:39 AM   #69
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
It's under warranty. If a cooling flaw exists, better to discover it now.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:55 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
They say the 4X4 will pull 7200lbs. Anyone else interested in this jeep diesel V6?
I am looking at upcoming tow vehicles too. I am not swayed by this too much. It is a diesel and has good torque BUT as I posted on another thread last evening here, in my area yesterday diesel was running around $0.66 a gallon more than regular gas. Add to that the $4500 diesel surcharge from Jeep and the fact that the diesel is only available in the top models - Summit, Overland and Limited ranging from $36-48K gas model base + options and diesel and you are looking at top line pickups to even compare.

You can get ye ole pickup with several discounts - about $6000K without a haggle (when I looked at a Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost) to around $38K that will get a well documented 15-16 in city with around 23 highway not towing and will use regular oil, filters and gas compared to most new diesels requiring synthetic, special filters and of course $0.60 more per gallon. So, consider city mileage comparison per 1000 miles Ecoboost vs. Diesel 15 vs. 22 [2wd] @$3.35gal/$4.01gal= $223/$182 or $41 per 1000 mile savings city. The highway mileage figured on 23/30mpg comes to a $12 savings per 1000 miles. Not adding any options but diesel that would be $40,500 for the least expensive model (assuming that they would not be discounting the diesel too much) - $2500 over a well equipped Lariat. Using the worst case scenario (city mileage@$41 difference) I would have to drive the Jeep about 61,000 miles in city to equal the Jeep cost to the Pickup. They have the same torque but the ecoboost has 120 more hp. and, that is this year's models with a revamped F150 on the way with an 8spd tranny and who knows what else.

What is so sad is that diesel prices are WAY too high. I sold my 2010 VW tdi sportwagen when it started regularly going over $0.25 per gallon difference. It kills the benefit over buy the same gas equivalent in most cases. The longevity argument is not applicable to me because although the engine may last, everything else wears just as quick so you are back to buying or replacing things - AC, pumps, injectors, tranny, etc. There was documentation where the VW high pressure injection system was failing due to fuel specifications in U.S. being different than in Europe- not as much lubricant being added, the system replacement costs $10K! I am not trying to pop a bubble here but just share my experience with fellow AS owners and raise the flag of caution.

Quote:
Big rigs passing me at 75 mph while I was doing 55 were no problem.
At 55 I get 14mpg on a regular V8 towing a 25'. I do not know what an Ecoboost gets at that speed.