Old 12-10-2013, 12:24 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
I now have 1200 miles on my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD. The first tank of diesel averaged 28.4 mpg with mostly highway driving. I've installed a DirecLink brake controller and I'm switching from an Equalizer to a ProPride hitch setup to tow my 28' Classic. I'm planning a trial run to the upcoming Rose Parade Rally so I'll provide some feedback after the Rally.

Some of our Australian friends have reported issues with overheating with their new CRDs so I'll be watching the engine/transmission temps closely.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
I have a 2012 Grand Cherokee Overland with full air suspension. Took me a while to figure out how to best set it up with the equalizer hitches. The drill is this: Find a dead level location. With the trailer uncoupled, measure the wheel well heights and record. Turn the air suspension off (hold the up and down buttons down for 10 seconds at the same time). Back up to your Airstream a few feet away and hitch up without the spring bars attached. Don't move far, or the air suspension will revert to automatic. With the weight on the ball, measure the wheel well numbers. Use the spring bars to restore to the original numbers or slightly lower due to the additional weight. Tow away. The suspension will revert to automatic all by itself in a short distance. Now, a better way to do it is to have access to a scale and do it that way (again, with the suspension off), but I have done this both ways and now trust the measurement system when I can't get to a scale easily. You will find the Air Suspension system to have a mind of it's own at times (at least the 2012's do). They adjust themselves to look pretty and level, even when parked on uneven ground. If you jack the rear up with the trailer tongue jack it may stay high for a bit after you start down the road, but it will come back to normal soon. Same with being too low, I also have had that happen for a while. No one seems to know why, but it simply does strange things at times, but mine, with 22,000 miles on it now has been flawless and comfortable and it is a great tow vehicle for my 20' trailers. Be sure to remember how to turn the Air Suspension off if you have to change a tire. You must turn it off or it will fight you when you try to jack it up. For others reading this, the Jeep full Air Suspension is not an air bag, not a air shock, but a full system which replaces the springs and shocks completely on all 4 wheels. It is very different from what you might think of as an Air Suspension system from the old days.
Thanks for the clear procedure!

JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:04 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
My Jeep is in having some engine seals ( rear main and turbo) replaced so the new one cannot get here quick enough. Have you figured out the ease or lack of ease for a brake controller installation? I am hoping that it is plug and play. Jim
Jim,
The brake controller installation looks easy. I'll let you know when my garage warms up - it's been really COLD in Durango!
Old 12-10-2013, 06:30 PM   #46
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Jim, The brake controller installation looks easy. I'll let you know when my garage warms up - it's been really COLD in Durango!
I see that. Maybe the skiers are enjoying it? Thank you. Jim
Old 12-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #47
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
I now have 1200 miles on my 2014 Grand Cherokee Overland CRD. The first tank of diesel averaged 28.4 mpg with mostly highway driving. I've installed a DirecLink brake controller and I'm switching from an Equalizer to a ProPride hitch setup to tow my 28' Classic. I'm planning a trial run to the upcoming Rose Parade Rally so I'll provide some feedback after the Rally.

Some of our Australian friends have reported issues with overheating with their new CRDs so I'll be watching the engine/transmission temps closely.
How easy is it to monitor the Transmission Fluid Temperature in the new GC?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:09 PM   #48

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65CV View Post
How easy is it to monitor the Transmission Fluid Temperature in the new GC?
It has a warning icon that will come on (with a message in text on the dash) if the transmission gets hot, and you can see the transmission temperature anytime under the "Vehicle Info" menu in the EVIC. Page 304 of the manual.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #49
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Rockville , Maryland
Very easy, I have the same display in both my 2014 Grand Cherokee SRT & my 2013 Ram 2500HD.

Exact same display....
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #50
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post

A quick update:
I think I finally have the Propride hitch and Direclink brake controller dialed in. It was a bit of a wrestling match with the Air Suspension, but I followed JamuJoes advice to overcome the Jeep's "Hal 9000." With the 2014 you disable the Air Suspension through the Uconnect soft keys by placing it in "tire jack mode."
Everything else is pretty much the same as the 2012 model.
Here are my stats after weighing, tweaking, weighing again, etc...
GAWR Front 3200lb Actual w/trailer 3140lb
GAWR Rear 3700lb Actual w/trailer 3700lb
28' FB Classic attached to jeep 6600lb
Max combined 6800lb + 7200lb = 14000lb
Actual combined = 13440

Jeep loading (driver and 1 passenger, full fuel, 1/2 tank DEF, no cargo)
Trailer loading (full propane tanks, full fresh water tank (54 gal), empty gray and black water tanks, full refer, cargo for 5 days dry camping)

I'll be off line for a few days, but I'll report back with CRD performance data the next time I log in.
Old 12-27-2013, 07:21 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Austin , Texas
Actual payload on Grand Cherokee diesels?

Would a few of you lucky ones with the new diesel Grand Cherokee post your actual payload value from your yellow door sticker along with model info (trim level, 4 WD or not, rear axle ratio, etc)

Thanks!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:40 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7GenTex View Post
Would a few of you lucky ones with the new diesel Grand Cherokee post your actual payload value from your yellow door sticker along with model info (trim level, 4 WD or not, rear axle ratio, etc)

Thanks!
My "actual payload value" is 1080lb according to the door post sticker. I have a 4x4 Overland w/Advanced Tech option and Off Road option. I don't recall the rear axle ratio, but it's the one and only one that comes with the CRD. You can see from my previous post my tongue heavy FB Airstream and 2 medium size adults pretty much max's out the payload on the 4x4 CRD.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Waco , Texas
Reading through the multiple options on the Jeep web site I got a bit overwhelmed by all the different 4x4 options and modes. Clearly I need to read more in depth to understand. However I was wondering if there was any consensus as to which combination of options makes the Grand Cherokee into the best tow vehicle ? There's the Quadra-Trac I and II, the Quadra-Drive and then the Quadra-Lift air suspension. Obviously the Diesel is going to be the most attractive engine for towing. I was wondering how else one would set one of these up to make it the most capable tow vehicle possible?
Old 12-31-2013, 02:41 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Upcoming Jeep Grand Cherokee diesel

Texas,
You could have a fine tow with the 2WD Diesel. My use extends beyond the end of the road, with lots of mountain towing in inclement weather, so I chose package 22P with QD II and full off-road and technology options for my 2014 Overland Diesel. I had the benefit of extensive towing our FCC 23FB with a 08 GC CRD, so I knew exactly what I wanted.
Old 12-31-2013, 02:55 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
In setting up for towing, the Hensley/ProPride hitch will be a great improvement in towing stability and comfort, especially in windy conditions or semis passing.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 06:27 PM   #56
Prairie Schooner II

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Jim,
The brake controller installation looks easy. I'll let you know when my garage warms up - it's been really COLD in Durango!

You are making my life easier. I was lurking at the Jeep forum, looking for a bike rack solution and see that you may have found one. I googled "bright lines", but can't seem to find the one you were able to locate through Amazon. I like the idea of being able to move my old Thule stuff over. Still feeling cold, check out Winnipeg for some comfort. Jim