Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-03-2014, 06:53 PM   #61
Rivet Master

2019 23' International
La Habra , California
I'd like to know the exact transmission temps. When you have a gauge such as yours it maybe too late when near the red. The outside temps were also somewhat low this time of year. Summer temps will increase operating temps on the tow vehicle
Old 01-03-2014, 08:01 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
Thanks for the update, Terry. I'm curious about your concerns over oil temp. What was the max oil temp? Did you see a high temp warning? I don't find specific oil temp guidance in the owners manual.
The max engine oil temp I saw was 257 F. There was no high temp warning. I'm just being careful and monitoring all the gauges and EVIC available info. The owners manual and diesel supplement just say to slow down when alarms, warning lights, and sirens go off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subfan1 View Post
I'd like to know the exact transmission temps. When you have a gauge such as yours it maybe too late when near the red. The outside temps were also somewhat low this time of year. Summer temps will increase operating temps on the tow vehicle
The transmission is pretty bulletproof. It has an onboard heat exchanger which keeps the temp pretty close to 195 F at all times. Yes, the onboard gauges/EVIC info are probably dithered so instantaneous temps are probably not happening. I do monitor trend info closely. I just may be spending a little more time in the slow lane this summer.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 08:18 PM   #63

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
So what sort of grades and distances were these "long hills"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying you were proactive and never got an alarm from the computers, but you did reduce your speed to 50ish for long uphill grades because you saw the oil temps climbing, right?

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:49 PM   #64
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by terryg View Post
My "actual payload value" is 1080lb according to the door post sticker. I have a 4x4 Overland w/Advanced Tech option and Off Road option. I don't recall the rear axle ratio, but it's the one and only one that comes with the CRD. You can see from my previous post my tongue heavy FB Airstream and 2 medium size adults pretty much max's out the payload on the 4x4 CRD.
According to the online owners manual the payload is minus 150 lbs allowance for the driver. A small consolation. As long as you're within axle ratings that's good.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 09:50 PM   #65
2 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sandpoint , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
So what sort of grades and distances were these "long hills"?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're saying you were proactive and never got an alarm from the computers, but you did reduce your speed to 50ish for long uphill grades because you saw the oil temps climbing, right?
Cajon Pass out of L.A. is around 4000'. After that there are a number of shorter grades as you traverse the Soda Mtns. I really didn't measure distances and grades but I'd say 6% for several miles with an OAT of around 60 F.

Yes, I reduced my speed to keep my oil temp under 250 and my coolant temp out of the red. It's a new Jeep and I'm not excited about testing to failure.
terryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 10:01 PM   #66

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Cajon Pass out of L.A. is around 4000'. After that there are a number of shorter grades as you traverse the Soda Mtns. I really didn't measure distances and grades but I'd say 6% for several miles with an OAT of around 60 F.

Yes, I reduced my speed to keep my oil temp under 250 and my coolant temp out of the red. It's a new Jeep and I'm not excited about testing to failure.
I understand you not wanting to break your Jeep, I was just curious how hard you had to work it to get to those temps. I'm interested in the performance of that VM Motori V6, both in the Jeep and the RAM.

Looks like Cajon is a 6% grade for about 12 miles, if various internet sources are to be believed. Nothing to sneeze at, towing a nice heavy Classic.

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
Old 01-03-2014, 10:37 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' International
2014 30' Flying Cloud
Los alamos , New Mexico
Suspension and brakes should also come into consideration when discussing AS above GVWR 6,000 plus.
Luigi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 08:09 AM   #68
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Oil Temp

Quote:
The max engine oil temp I saw was 257 F. There was no high temp warning. I'm just being careful and monitoring all the gauges and EVIC available info. The owners manual and diesel supplement just say to slow down when alarms, warning lights, and sirens go off.

Terry,
I understand your caution. As well instrumented as this engine is, and with quality synthetic oil, I'm not very worried, but will monitor oil and transmission temps. I've sent a query about oil temp operating range to Chrysler. I towed our FC23FB with our 08 GC Diesel (Mercedes) for over 30,000 mi in all conditions without any overheating problems (and without knowing actual oil temps). Now that I have temp info on the EVIC however, I want to know operating ranges. With this engine, the computer will determine oil change intervals based upon actual usage, not just mileage. It will be interesting to see how towing affects such.
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:39 AM   #69
Rivet Master

Quote:
It's under warranty. If a cooling flaw exists, better to discover it now.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:55 AM   #70
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Quote:
They say the 4X4 will pull 7200lbs. Anyone else interested in this jeep diesel V6?
I am looking at upcoming tow vehicles too. I am not swayed by this too much. It is a diesel and has good torque BUT as I posted on another thread last evening here, in my area yesterday diesel was running around $0.66 a gallon more than regular gas. Add to that the $4500 diesel surcharge from Jeep and the fact that the diesel is only available in the top models - Summit, Overland and Limited ranging from $36-48K gas model base + options and diesel and you are looking at top line pickups to even compare.

You can get ye ole pickup with several discounts - about $6000K without a haggle (when I looked at a Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost) to around $38K that will get a well documented 15-16 in city with around 23 highway not towing and will use regular oil, filters and gas compared to most new diesels requiring synthetic, special filters and of course $0.60 more per gallon. So, consider city mileage comparison per 1000 miles Ecoboost vs. Diesel 15 vs. 22 [2wd] @$3.35gal/$4.01gal= $223/$182 or $41 per 1000 mile savings city. The highway mileage figured on 23/30mpg comes to a $12 savings per 1000 miles. Not adding any options but diesel that would be $40,500 for the least expensive model (assuming that they would not be discounting the diesel too much) - $2500 over a well equipped Lariat. Using the worst case scenario (city mileage@$41 difference) I would have to drive the Jeep about 61,000 miles in city to equal the Jeep cost to the Pickup. They have the same torque but the ecoboost has 120 more hp. and, that is this year's models with a revamped F150 on the way with an 8spd tranny and who knows what else.

What is so sad is that diesel prices are WAY too high. I sold my 2010 VW tdi sportwagen when it started regularly going over $0.25 per gallon difference. It kills the benefit over buy the same gas equivalent in most cases. The longevity argument is not applicable to me because although the engine may last, everything else wears just as quick so you are back to buying or replacing things - AC, pumps, injectors, tranny, etc. There was documentation where the VW high pressure injection system was failing due to fuel specifications in U.S. being different than in Europe- not as much lubricant being added, the system replacement costs $10K! I am not trying to pop a bubble here but just share my experience with fellow AS owners and raise the flag of caution.

Quote:
Big rigs passing me at 75 mph while I was doing 55 were no problem.
At 55 I get 14mpg on a regular V8 towing a 25'. I do not know what an Ecoboost gets at that speed.
Old 01-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #71
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Perhaps there is merit in a US designed diesel engine built for the US fuel specifications. That is why I selected the Dodge with a US made Cummins diesel. I avoid bio-diesel like the black plague.

The temperatures on that Jeep mentioned above were much higher than those in my truck doing the same pull out of California with a GCVW of 16,000 pounds of which the 25FB International Serenity trailer was 6,960 pounds.

That Italian V6 diesel was build for light delivery vans in Europe. If used in a RV towing vehicle overseas, their trailers are typically half the weight or less of ours, shorter and with surge brakes and around 400 pounds or less of tongue weight.

I would strongly suggest keeping all the CAT scales weigh tickets showing the Jeep with trailer were within the towing specifications whenever it was used in case there is ever an engine warranty issue.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:36 PM   #72

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
That Italian V6 diesel was build for light delivery vans in Europe. If used in a RV towing vehicle overseas, their trailers are typically half the weight or less of ours, shorter and with surge brakes and around 400 pounds or less of tongue weight.
The "light delivery vans" Fiat sells in Europe (the Sprinter-class Ducato) use transverse-mounted inline-4 diesels for better economy. (Given a similar construction and level of technology, the 4-cyl of equal displacement tends to use less fuel than a 6-cyl because it has a bit less internal friction. It will be offered with the largest of those in the US as the RAM Promaster (and its base engine will be the ubiquitous Pentastar 3.6l gasoline V6).

Old 01-04-2014, 02:43 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
You can get ye ole pickup with several discounts - about $6000K without a haggle (when I looked at a Lariat Supercrew Ecoboost) to around $38K that will get a well documented 15-16 in city with around 23 highway not towing .......
Glad that you like pickup trucks, as many do, and you seem to have a good handle on your values. I doubt that many buying a high end Grand Cherokee are comparing it to a pickup truck, though. They are very different vehicles for different needs and preferences. There are less expensive vehicles for towing, just as there are less expensive ways to go camping. Variety is the spice of life.

Yes, diesel is more expensive than gasoline, and it varies widely across the country. See Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Update - Energy Information Administration
and Why has diesel fuel been more expensive than gasoline? - FAQ - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA) to understand why.

Now, back to the Grand Cherokee Diesel.
Old 01-04-2014, 02:50 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Jim,
The brake controller installation looks easy. I'll let you know when my garage warms up - it's been really COLD in Durango!
Jim, it was indeed easy. The GC has a grey connector that is clipped with a zip tie just above the parking brake, under the dash. There was a mating connector supplied with my GC - in a plastic bag in the glove compartment. Match the four wires to your brake controller, mount the controller and you are in business. I mounted mine to the left of the instrument display using VHB tape.
Old 01-04-2014, 04:52 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
1997 25' Safari
1967 20' Globetrotter
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Jim, it was indeed easy. The GC has a grey connector that is clipped with a zip tie just above the parking brake, under the dash. There was a mating connector supplied with my GC - in a plastic bag in the glove compartment. Match the four wires to your brake controller, mount the controller and you are in business. I mounted mine to the left of the instrument display using VHB tape.

Thanks for the update. Good news. Familiar philosophy, only improvements. Jim
Old 01-04-2014, 09:18 PM   #76
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Switz, how do you avoid bio diesel? At nearby the Love's Country station the diesel pump has a sticker that says something to the effect of "contains bio diesel 5%-20%". Not too helpful. If 5% or less I didn't even think the pump required a sticker. Is there any difference in the diesel at the front of the stations vs. the big rig pumps out back? Thanks, Rich
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 08:14 AM   #77
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Love's is the most blatant about bio-diesel. I avoid them at all cost. That is one reason the 34 gallon stock tank was swapped for a 56 gallon tank in the same location - I can go on down the road to the proper fuel stop.

My owner's manual in the 2012 Dodge says a maximum of 5% bio-diesel. So far, unlike our food supply where genetically modified stuff is NOT required to be identified unlike the rest of the world, the use of bio-diesel additives is still required to be mentioned at the pump on a sticker.

I plan ahead and fuel up at a Chevron, Shell, Pilot or Flying J which have yet to mention any use of bio-diesel. And only one truck fills the diesel storage tank(s) at the truck stops. So you get out front what the big trucks get in back. The big difference is the big trucks have massive fuel filters and the small vehicles do not and that can be an important point.

I suggest keeping both the receipts with milage at fill up written on it plus a log showing the place address, time, amount of fuel, the the price per gallon and total price and milage for that tank and the total milage on the truck. Thus you have a donkey to pin a tail on in the event of dirty fuel causing an engine problem.

You are regularly checking your fuel water filter, right? and changing the fuel filter more often than the manual requires?

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
Old 01-10-2014, 09:11 PM   #78
RAH
3 Rivet Member

2013 30' Flying Cloud
Cincinnati , Ohio
Am I regularly checking my fuel water filter? In a word, no. I saw that page in the diesel supplement manual and said to myself "I hope I never have to do that". After reading your post I got the manual out again and looked under the hood for the fuel filter. Based on its placement I really hope I never have to drain the water separator under the fuel filter. I don't think I could get my hand to the drain valve.

The 2014 duramax manual approves biodiesel up to B20, but there are lots of warnings about bio breaking down more quickly than regular diesel, that it shouldn't sit too long, and doesn't do well at high temperatures. So if I can't find B0, I would rather have B5 than B20. But I've only filled up 3 times so I am a little too new to this to have experiences to base my opinions on.

I have the stock 36 gallon tank and already love the 650 mile range (solo). I can only imagine the range with the 50 gallon tank you have.

Thanks for the advice.

Rich

PS have you picked up the new Classic yet? this week I thought it was if I remember all of the posts correctly.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 07:25 AM   #79
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
Let's just say that it was rescheduled earlier and I made it to the factory for the second production day on 2 January. Like most of the country, the big chill and snow crippled the just in time inventory system and units are out of sequence on the line as a result of a missing part stopping a unit and putting it outside and starting another one to keep folks busy. There was about a 38 number jump between my unit and one five trailers back at the start of the "final" assembly production lines.

We had a hiccup concerning our custom options, but that was resolved quickly and rectified. Yesterday, 10 Jan, the vast majority of the Hickory wood was installed and the details of wiring, attaching gas lines and water lines was in process. The street side and rear awnings were on board yesterday, but the long curb side awning is still MIA, but the center support is installed.

The folks on the line are very friendly and busy. I think one lady's comment reflects their efforts, "I want each trailer I work on to be as perfect as I wanted my house to be when it was built!".

So the actual out the door date may be closer to the finish date of 15 January I had in my signature for months than the early start date would have implied.

Old 01-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #80
Rivet Master

What's the largest trailer successfully being towed by a Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Airstream Forums mobile app