Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2019, 02:41 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2009 19' International
Aptos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Federal protections make unions obsolete
Tell that to a miner with black lung disease or who got crushed in a cave in because of lax safety oversight by management. Or an Amazon warehouse worker, or......
brad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 03:00 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
Tell that to a miner with black lung disease or who got crushed in a cave in because of lax safety oversight by management. Or an Amazon warehouse worker, or......
Or a pilot working an 18 hour day or ...
sure the government is all over these things.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:15 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
Someone is going to warranty a part they put on a 2008 Saturn?
Yes, parts/labor are 2 years when they install it
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 06:44 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by brad1 View Post
There will never be a perfect way to handle all situations.....be it gov or unions......things are very different today in the workforce because of federal guidelines. So GM work environment is the same as a coal minors?...I don't think so. Amazon....well...last check, they are within guidelines or else they'd be plastered all over the news and most likely.....shut down.

But hey, carry that torch if it suits you.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:09 AM   #45
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airtandem View Post
"Pay me for not working"
My son manages a company backed by investors.
An employee that makes $750.00/week PLUS commission came to him and said "I want a raise to.... or I'm going to quit; you have 2 days to reply". My son said just a minute, and I'll get your check. Employee said are you firing me; son said I 'm not, you just quit.
Hummm, sound familiar?

True story.
Reminds me of a finisher we had working for us.
The finisher one day walked into the boss and complained about the amount of money he was making. The boss agreed wholeheartedly with him and offered to give him a 30% wage increase. The finisher thought he hit pay dirt, until the boss told him that by showing up to work on time and putting in a full weeks work, would get him that extra 30%; the finisher wasn't happy.[emoji23]

Unions have their place, but after watching a Detroit News exsposie on Ford union heads taking short days and billing Ford for 2000 hours a year in overtime, made me want to puke. The current union heads are being investigated for some serious stuff too.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 08:01 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Reminds me of a finisher we had working for us.
The finisher one day walked into the boss and complained about the amount of money he was making. The boss agreed wholeheartedly with him and offered to give him a 30% wage increase. The finisher thought he hit pay dirt, until the boss told him that by showing up to work on time and putting in a full weeks work, would get him that extra 30%; the finisher wasn't happy.[emoji23]

Unions have their place, but after watching a Detroit News exsposie on Ford union heads taking short days and billing Ford for 2000 hours a year in overtime, made me want to puke. The current union heads are being investigated for some serious stuff too.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
A Detroit News expose, written by people who do nothing but make stuff up and get paid for it, does not reflect what is really going on in the industry. Try an assembly job in a plant sometime. I guarantee none of the news writers would last a shift.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #47
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
A Detroit News expose, written by people who do nothing but make stuff up and get paid for it, does not reflect what is really going on in the industry. Try an assembly job in a plant sometime. I guarantee none of the news writers would last a shift.
Nothing made up at all; not all news is fake news.
They followed a couple of high ranking union heads for a month or so and watched, when they left home, when they left the plant and documented everything on film. It was quite the piece.

Where there is power, there is corruption; in government, in business, and in unions.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Old 10-17-2019, 01:12 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Nothing made up at all; not all news is fake news.
They followed a couple of high ranking union heads for a month or so and watched, when they left home, when they left the plant and documented everything on film. It was quite the piece.

Where there is power, there is corruption; in government, in business, and in unions.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony
Sorry, been interviewed by media before and know firsthand they are all full of crap. Big deal, they followed two guys. There are thousand of people working in these plants, not just writing stuff and getting paid to do it.
Old 10-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
If folks are finished sharing their pearls of wisdom on Unions and Management, I'd like to ask if anyone is getting any work done now that we are one month into the strike. I was cautiously optimistic with last night's news that there was a tentative agreement, but late today, it seems the media is questioning the deal.

I was expecting the locals would recommend the workers go back to work while the ratification vote proceeds (two weeks to complete) but that decision is still pending. Fingers are crossed as we await the decision later today.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, they do report to work, it could be as early as tomorrow and parts shipments could proceed immediately. Still wondering why Head Gaskets would be "backordered" but maybe that's a normal occurrence and could be resolved quickly since the parts manufacturers are sitting on shipments that could not be delivered. Have a feeling I'll need much more than just that once the mechanic get around to my vehicle at the dealership.

Updates to availability of parts are appreciated. Pearls of wisdom, not so much.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:26 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Breaking news just a few minutes ago. Looks like the workers will stay out on strike during ratification votes. Not sure what the point of that is unless they expect to reject it. Dang!
Old 10-17-2019, 03:40 PM   #51
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
Breaking news just a few minutes ago. Looks like the workers will stay out on strike during ratification votes. Not sure what the point of that is unless they expect to reject it. Dang!
Naww, the union heads will get the biggest signing bonuses, they'll push the flock to sign.
Cheers
Sidekick Tony

Old 10-17-2019, 11:48 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
If folks are finished sharing their pearls of wisdom on Unions and Management, I'd like to ask if anyone is getting any work done now that we are one month into the strike. I was cautiously optimistic with last night's news that there was a tentative agreement, but late today, it seems the media is questioning the deal.

I was expecting the locals would recommend the workers go back to work while the ratification vote proceeds (two weeks to complete) but that decision is still pending. Fingers are crossed as we await the decision later today.

IF, and that's a BIG IF, they do report to work, it could be as early as tomorrow and parts shipments could proceed immediately. Still wondering why Head Gaskets would be "backordered" but maybe that's a normal occurrence and could be resolved quickly since the parts manufacturers are sitting on shipments that could not be delivered. Have a feeling I'll need much more than just that once the mechanic get around to my vehicle at the dealership.

Updates to availability of parts are appreciated. Pearls of wisdom, not so much.
Head gaskets May be manufactured in a non union shop as are many other parts. Not sure why the strike affects those types of parts.
Old 10-18-2019, 06:45 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I get the feeling we are talking in circles here... asked and answered. Others have chimed in on whether warranty work can be done with non-OEM parts, and in my case it's likely to be more than a head gasket required. The dealer won't even start on the rebuild until he has assurance of availability of parts. But even non-union shops are affected by the strike. There are lots of parts sitting on lots in semi trailers that cannot be delivered to the union operated warehouses. In fact, these non-union companies have had to lay off substantial numbers of employees the last few weeks. There was an article a few weeks ago about how SE Michigan is teetering on a recession as a result.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #54
Rivet Master

I'm just glad the strike is not affecting me getting parts for my 1986 Chevy 1-Ton Crewcab, 4x4 and my 1988 Suburban 4x4 back when Chevy made a great truck and SUV.

"Strike On"

I'll never buy another new car again, though the last one is still getting used everyday, 2000 Ford F250 4x4 Crewcab, PowerStroke with over 400,000 miles on the OD.

I wish you folks luck with your parts, and getting Chevy to fixed the trucks they sold you. Might be a good reason to start looking at a Toyota, at least they are made in TX.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:24 AM   #55
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Ratification Voting for the UAW GM tentative deal comes to a close tonight. We should know soon if there is a deal. Parts could start shipping Monday if approved. Getting the dealer to do the work is the challenge. Apparently not all workers are thrilled with the deal, and those working in the Parts Warehouses in particular are still unhappy. Rather they be unhappy than the ones making and assembling the parts... I would imagine that warehouse jobs are most at risk for automation, and possibly even outsourcing to an outfit like Amazon who already use robots in their warehouses.

https://www.wxyz.com/news/gm-uaw-mem...tive-agreement