Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2019, 11:42 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
UAW Strike causing shortages of parts

Count me among the many who have a TV in the shop awaiting parts. Took my Silverado in for the Brake System Recall, and while it doesn't require parts, I had an engine failure on the way to the shop. I'll need engine parts (covered under warranty), but they can't get them. Right during the prime fall camping and festival season. I was told it may be months before the supply chain is functioning normally. Need a head gasket and they are backordered. Even if they had them, the strike affects the warehouses as well.

Anyone else feeling the pain?

https://www.thedrive.com/news/30132/...w-strike-in-us
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 12:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Thousand Oaks , California
Sounds like a good search on amazon for an aftermarket gasket is in order. If you gotta cover the cost out of pocket, so be it, just make sure the dealer with still cover labor under warranty.

Follow our adventures!
@airstreamvagabond on Instagram and YouTube
BigSxyWhtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:20 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
It's going to take more than a head gasket to fix my engine, but that was the one part that is really in short supply (back-ordered). and I asked about using third party parts, but the service adviser said he doubted Mother GM would approve use of such, especially for a vehicle under warranty. Folks going in for services at third party repair shops might also run into part shortages.

I was going to suggest dropping a nice third party modified corvette engine in, but I didn't think he would go for it, but it would certainly be an option to me if this drags on indefinitely. GM (and other automakers) are losing billions, and more than a few million a day. The workers are also out a substantial amount of pay.

The big problem for my dealer (a rather large one in JAX), was where to keep all the vehicles that are torn down for the duration. They are also going through a prioritization routine for when to work on them once they have parts. For me, I am not sweating it that much as we have two cars in addition to the truck (both German, although we may soon see Tariffs on auto parts from there). Other people have their daily drivers in the shop. They did offer a loaner (not a truck) and I passed.
Old 10-04-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
And the article was about the Chevy Silverado plant in Mexico (not struck by UAW) had shut down because of shortage of parts. Folks with trucks on order will be affected. Still, there are a few hundred thousand on the dealer lots...
Old 10-04-2019, 05:01 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Based on my 35 years with GM, there is a provision with the warranty which stipulates that aftermarket sourced parts can be used for a warranty work when there is a legitimate reason that oem cant be found. It is the call of the GM rep who calls on the dealership. My call would have been, if the failure caused an inoperable vehicle, I paid. If it was cosmetic or didn't cause tennis shoe mode to be implemented, then no.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 06:45 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I don't have the full details on the extent of the damage, but it appears to be loss of compression on two cylinders. I thought it was probably do to bad lifters related to the cylinder deactivation mode on the newer 5.3L engine. The engine only has 23K miles on it. But the work order I approved mentioned piston rings on the #5 cylinder. Could have been due to poor lubrication, again related to cylinder deactivation. I have heard of such issues in older versions of that technology.

In any case, everything is still preliminary and experience tells me that you can fix what you think is the issue, when another pops up. Having a reliable supply chain is essential to making repairs of this magnitude. This is new stuff and needs to be fixed with OEM sourced parts IMO. Just hope they aren't made by a disgruntled employee. I support the UAW in their efforts to get back some of their benefits lost after the negotiations during the Great Recession.

I am patient and will not stress out about this at all. I am more concerned about the long term design and engineering of this engine. I had a 99 Silverado with the 5,3L small block V8 for nearly 20 years and it was bulletproof, and it irks me that this engine was modified to eke out a few more MPGs, for whatever reason. Up until now, the 4 cyl mode worked well, so it seems, and you could see the mileage jump when active. Now I am doubting it and will likely move on from Chevy. Maybe a MB GLE or GLS 450... with electric boost.

I am no stranger to engine rebuilds, but I do know once you start replacing parts, things don't always fit together the way they once did. I had a Baby benz, a 190E 2.3 that suffered catastrophic failure going up the Sunol grade in California. I cheaped out with a Midas catalytic converter repair and they totally missed inspecting the pre-cats which were disintegrating, and ultimately pieces of which blocked the newly installed cat. Tremendous back pressure and heat and I melted a piston. I took it to the Silicon Valley Benz dealer and they had a very well trained mechanic who rebuilt it from scratch including boring the cylinders and replacing all the pistons.... Dang car went another 250K miles. Best $5K I ever spent on a repair.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:53 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Jacksonville , Florida
2004 GMC
Yukon 5.3 160,000 miles and no issues. 2012 GMC Sierra 5.3 with AFM had lifters replaced around 50,000.
Engine had to be replaced less than 10,000 miles later.
Airstrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:08 AM   #8
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
For what it's worth; these cylinder deactivation systems and auto stop systems are crap, that gets the manufacturer to claim unobtanium mpg figures, but costs you money fixing it.

Our 2012 Honda Pilot had piston rings replaced in half the motor at 51,000 kms. I bought it used, for a great price and installed the VCMuzzler to defeat the VCM system. 100,000 kms later, no more problems.

The first thing the new car salesman did when I test drove a 2019 Chevy Cruze Diesel.......he turned off the auto-stop system; "It distracted customers" he said.

Cheers
Sidekick Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Don't buy GM?
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:38 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Mesquite , Nevada
I had cruise control problems on a GM pickup. Taking it to nearest dealer would cause me to miss a day of work which was unacceptable. When I explained this to GM customer service (not the dealer) they approved repair at independent shop, then reimbursed me.
Ken G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 02:39 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2022 28' Flying Cloud
GAINESVILLE , GA
I have always been wary of engines that half of the cylinders stop running at any given time. It just doesn't seem right. But then again, l'm not an engineer.
Spaggs
Spaggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 05:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
The latest incarnation of the Active Fuel Management system will cut back to TWO Cylinders at times. But it also rotates which cylinders to deactivate. Mine only went to four. And its not just GM that is doing this.

But we are getting a little off track here and the point of the thread is to discuss shortages of parts and to a lesser extent, the availability of new vehicles during the strike. I saw one article that discussed all of the the parts manufacturers, of which there are quite a few, and the fact that they are having to lay off folks because they have nowhere to ship the parts. Semi's sitting idle on their lots with full loads that can't be delivered. SouthEast Michigan is teetering on the brink of recession if this strike goes on...

And part of the worry of the workers is the growing popularity of electric vehicles, which require fewer parts and can be more easily assembled with robots. But it's not like this hasn't been telegraphed for the past few years... GM and others just don't want to give workers employment guarantees that they can't live up to. But that's probably a topic for another thread.
Old 10-05-2019, 10:12 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomzstream View Post
The latest incarnation of the Active Fuel Management system will cut back to TWO Cylinders at times. But it also rotates which cylinders to deactivate. Mine only went to four. And its not just GM that is doing this.

But we are getting a little off track here and the point of the thread is to discuss shortages of parts and to a lesser extent, the availability of new vehicles during the strike. I saw one article that discussed all of the the parts manufacturers, of which there are quite a few, and the fact that they are having to lay off folks because they have nowhere to ship the parts. Semi's sitting idle on their lots with full loads that can't be delivered. SouthEast Michigan is teetering on the brink of recession if this strike goes on...

And part of the worry of the workers is the growing popularity of electric vehicles, which require fewer parts and can be more easily assembled with robots. But it's not like this hasn't been telegraphed for the past few years... GM and others just don't want to give workers employment guarantees that they can't live up to. But that's probably a topic for another thread.
But incredibly accurate, none-the-less.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 09:06 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Excella 500
Chappell Hill , Texas
Under warranty and already need a head gasket?? Time to look at Ford.
What I don't like about this strike by UAW is that we already bailed them out with my tax money so they could have a job but that wasn't good enough I guess. Union mobsters shaking down GM again.
tbashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 11:17 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Not interested in having this thread degenerate into a Brand war, not should we be discussing the politics of the Strike. Thank-you.
Old 10-07-2019, 11:51 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Yes, we are affected, but not for the camping rig.....my wife's 2008 Saturn needs a new exhaust manifold......3rd one I might add.......( ) but that is another story.

Can't get the OEM part because the tool bag union workers feel they require more money.....so yes, it is affecting us. The amount of exhaust fumes are getting worse to the point soon we'll just have to park it until we can get the parts and have it repaired.

With all the federal laws these days, what is the point of a union these days..... I'll answer........ > nothing
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 01:44 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
South Hero , Vermont
I went to my Chevy dealer today for oem wiper blades. They don’t even have those!
sb55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2019, 11:32 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
Brooks , Georgia
The UAW workers have been on strike for a long time. They are getting by on $250 a week. They will never make back the money they lost during the strike. I don’t know what the issues are but they are making a stand because of it.

I don’t see many UAW people on this forum asking questions about their 100k trailers or 70k tow vehicles. Why is it some of you think you are worth every penny you got but a union worker doesn’t deserve a raise?
Slimpockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:39 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittmaster View Post
Yes, we are affected, but not for the camping rig.....my wife's 2008 Saturn needs a new exhaust manifold......3rd one I might add.......( ) but that is another story.

Can't get the OEM part because the tool bag union workers feel they require more money.....so yes, it is affecting us. The amount of exhaust fumes are getting worse to the point soon we'll just have to park it until we can get the parts and have it repaired.

With all the federal laws these days, what is the point of a union these days..... I'll answer........ > nothing
2008 Saturn? Might consider getting something a bit newer.
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2019, 06:44 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countryboy59 View Post
2008 Saturn? Might consider getting something a bit newer.
You might want to go and tell my wife that......you won't like the response.
kittmaster is offline   Reply With Quote