Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2015, 06:38 PM   #113
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan View Post
Does anybody know how one of those UHaul car trailer carrier whatchamacallit things work (for braking and balancing). I have to haul our SIL's Chevy Colorado on one of 'em from Ft Campbell to Ashville this weekend. There are some pretty good grades on I-40 going into Ashville and I want to make sure I'm set up correctly.

I think the UHaul uses centifigal braking. That worries me some.

Thoughts?

Jim

Edit: towing with an F250 V10 Super Duty. Plenty of truck.
The ones I have rented used surge brakes.

Proper loading is key. Locate the vehicle on the trailer to have 15% or so tongue weight. Not too hard with a small vehicle, harder with a longer one. You may have to load the vehicle facing rearwards on the trailer. Ensure it is properly secured. And go slow. Many U Haul trailers have maximum speed labels of 45 MPH, not sure about the car carriers.

Old 07-02-2015, 06:40 PM   #114
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Centrifugal. I gotta get a better spell checker. Cause I cannot spell, regardless of Miss Moss's best efforts in the forth grade.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2015, 06:56 PM   #115
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The UHaul 12x6x6 is one of my favorites. I get 19-mpg empty and 18-mpg loaded in pulling one.

Surge brakes work fine. But study the subject first. Boat trailers use this and there is info online.

My experience with UHaul is that I have to stand over them about:

- surge brake fluid clean and full. They are to demonstrate correct function (I usually hook up and pass by tech in their lot to verify). With a higher speed pass, I should be able to feel them engage. There is a slight delay that is normal.

- chains properly wrapped.

- with a flashlight, you and tech inspect undercarriage from both sides. Mainly looking at springs.

- lug nut torque value to be checked in my presence.

- tire pressure same.

- ck of all signal lamp functions.

- I add plenty of grease to ball

Their website is good about how to load for tongue weight. Find elsewhere the bathroom scale method of weighing same. (You'll want wheel chocks and something to serve as tongue stand). It isn't necessary, but call it peace of mind.

The trailer design itself is excellent. Note that the wheel face center is outside the trailer walls; that the spring to axle attach points are congruent with walls. The trailer is inside what matters. (Torsion axle pushes this out to wheel face).

This is a VERY stable design for leaf sprung. Actually, the ONLY way to make a conventional leaf sprung trailer stable vis a vis suspension. The way SOBs should be built.
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
Old 07-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #116
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
........Are you getting a dolly or the flat trailer where all 4 wheels on the trailer? On the latter I've always seen the cars facing forward. This keeps the weight on the hitch. Hopefully the trailer and tow vehicle stay level. I have no idea what kind of hitch weight is present.

Jack
Thanks Jack. It's the full sized trailer with two axles, four tires on the ground on the UHaul. I'll bring my tape measure and look at the front of the truck before and after. 'Bout the only way I have to measure it.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2015, 07:03 PM   #117

2005 25' Safari
Motiarty , New Mexico
rollovers

Your right about preferring a 3/4 ton truck. I woudn't want to tow with anything less, I prefer a 1 ton. I tow my 25' with a 1-3/4 ton truck.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:19 PM   #118
Got gandkids?

1973 27' Overlander
'Possum Holler , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
The UHaul 12x6x6 is one of my favorites. I get 19-mpg empty and 18-mpg loaded in pulling one.

Surge brakes work fine. But study the subject first. Boat trailers use this and there is info online.

My experience with UHaul is that I have to stand over them about:

- surge brake fluid clean and full. They are to demonstrate correct function (I usually hook up and pass by tech in their lot to verify). With a higher speed pass, I should be able to feel them engage. There is a slight delay that is normal.

- chains properly wrapped.

- with a flashlight, you and tech inspect undercarriage from both sides. Mainly looking at springs.

- lug nut torque value to be checked in my presence.

- tire pressure same.

- ck of all signal lamp functions.

- I add plenty of grease to ball

Their website is good about how to load for tongue weight. Find elsewhere the bathroom scale method of weighing same. (You'll want wheel chocks and something to serve as tongue stand). It isn't necessary, but call it peace of mind.

The trailer design itself is excellent. Note that the wheel face center is outside the trailer walls; that the spring to axle attach points are congruent with walls. The trailer is inside what matters. (Torsion axle pushes this out to wheel face).

This is a VERY stable design for leaf sprung. Actually, the ONLY way to make a conventional leaf sprung trailer stable vis a vis suspension. The way SOBs should be built.

Wow, fabulous info. And a lot of common sense all rolled up in one post. Thanks.

Jim

Air No. 6427
Old 07-02-2015, 07:42 PM   #119

1977 Argosy 20
southlake , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
You say one was a rental package so add to the equation possible inexperienced tow vehicle operators.
ditto
Old 07-02-2015, 08:16 PM   #120
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
I have to disagree with a lot of you.

Hi, Too fast, down hill, and lack of driver ability. PERIOD.

I towed for ten years without a magic hitch and with "P" rated tires that my Lincoln was rated to tow with from the factory with the factory tow package. A half ton SUV pulling a 25' Airstream through 14 western states and three western provinces. In snow, on ice, and over the Colorado Rockies.

Your special hitch, super tires, your tire monitors, Etc Etc Etc , even a Kenworth towing a Bambi won't make up for a bad driver. If you are scared and lack the needed skills, all of this supersized magic won't help you.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-02-2015, 08:38 PM   #121
Rivet Master

2016 30' International
Scottsdale , Arizona
Thanks for the report.

This is the reason we decided to go with the 3/4 ton Denali and Duramax, Allison, and diesel engine braking to pull the 30' Serenity. It has plenty of extra capacity in terms of cargo capacity, braking ability, and pulling power. Better to have extra capacity than to be cutting it close.

And, of course, it should go without saying that factors such as driving skills and abilities, and good hitch with proper set-up, apply equally well regardless of the choice of tow vehicles or trailers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hshovic View Post
Greetings,
I am a fire fighter with the Fort Ellis Fire Dept. in Bozeman, MT. We take care of the Interstate for about 12 miles outside of Bozeman to the Bozeman Pass.
I participated in two recent incidents that give me pause.

Three weeks ago, we responded to a vehicle rollover with entrapment, on a downhill grade coming off the Bozeman Pass.
Imagine my surprise when I saw an upside down 23 ft. Airstream ripped off from an right-side up, but rolled older Ford Explorer.
We transported both individuals, both older. Apparently a trailer tire had blown and the trailer pushed the tow vehicle
360 deg, then rolled in the ditch, disconnecting from the vehicle. The tow vehicle was packed with camping items.

Last week, we responded to a vehicle rollover with entrapment, on a downhill grade coming off the Bozeman Pass.
Imagine my surprise when I saw an upside down 23 ft. Airstream still attached to an upside-down new Tahoe (this was a rental package).
We did not transport individuals, but they were extricated by civilians before we got there. They were upside down hanging from seatbelts.
Apparently the trailer started to sway, and eventually pushed the tow vehicle 400 deg, then flipped. The tow vehicle was packed with camping items.

Both these incidents happened within 100 yards of the other on a downhill grade on a four lane road, in broad daylight, and good road surface.

Both these vehicles may have had enough "towing capacity" to haul the weight of an Airstream. I doubt, however, that either had the gross vehicle
weight rating for the tongue weight plus all the gear in the back, plus passengers. Hence, when the trailer experienced an event that caused
it to sway or turn, the trailer drove the tow vehicle. Way back in 2009, I posted an example on Air Forums of why even a Tundra is inadequate (as are all 1/2 ton
vehicles for the deceptively easy to tow (but still heavy) Airstreams). Its almost as if everything will feel fine, until it doesn't.

I tow my 25' with a 3/4 ton. That puts it in the midrange of gross vehicle weight rating, not at the top. Over 70,000 miles the trailer has never tried to drive my vehicle (at least not yet).

--
Old 07-02-2015, 08:49 PM   #122
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Rockport , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Jaxon Send a message via Yahoo to Jaxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Flower View Post
In order to teach the evils of alcohol consumption to her pupils, she inserted a worm into a glass of whiskey. The worm promptly perished. She then sought an opinion from her eager students on the potential impact of alcohol to an individual. She was astonished to hear that little Johnny figured that if he drank lots of whiskey, he wouldn't get worms. Jim

Whiskey? Ohhh, so thatís why thereís worms in Tequila!

Thanks, Jim! Better do another shot!

Old 07-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #123
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
My gut reaction is that both of these were 23 feet, on a downhill. Apparently without adequate sway bar protection. Added to inexperience and tow vehicles with high centre of gravity. An application of manual trailer brakes would have straightened things out in a hurry....been there with a 1500 Jimmy and a 23 ft Award without the friction anti-sway hooked up. Down-hills were a terror till I learned. Funny thing is I've never ...ever...had a problem with my 25 ft '89 or '96 on my Dakota which by some posts is an inadequate tow vehicle. Nothing makes up for experience! I've been exposed but still made it out intact!
JCW
Old 07-02-2015, 09:06 PM   #124
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
We left AZ 3 weeks ago and now are in Glacier Park,
boy have I had other people w/TT pass me on down hill grade 10 to 20 miles over the limits and I fade back as I don't want to be in there accident when they loose it and I have seen a few come very close.

It's all about weight and speed and making it to your location. I believe that people don't know or take the time to look at the roads they are traveling, it seems that they are trying to get there as fast as possible.

If you don't have the sense to have your rig check out fully equipped /loaded before taking off, you are asking for trouble.

I also ask other people at sites what problems they have when on the road, the more you ask questions the more you learn.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
Old 07-02-2015, 09:29 PM   #125
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Wally and his contemporaries may have been towing with heavier cars but they were underpowered, had archaic suspensions, drum brakes and manual trailer controllers. Weight isn't everything.

I have no idea what caused these accidents but the immediate assumption that it was the size of the TV is speculative at best. As to driver skill -- again the only evidence is that one vehicle trailer combo was a rental. It would be interesting if the OP would be kind enough to post the official findings.

Mike
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
Old 07-02-2015, 09:45 PM   #126
Rivet Master

1969 29' Ambassador
brooksville , Florida
Two Airstream rollovers in a month

After reading through these debates I have realized a couple things that will help me.

1. I have to lean over to reach my p3 brake controller, its to low and needs to be moved up.

2. I have to stop overloading my f150, I'm sure I'm past my GVW after loading fire wood, bikes, and other gear.

3. When I replace my f150 I'll need to go with f250 for the GVW and I like trucks. (I have a small farm).

Thank you all!