Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2015, 02:32 AM   #295
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
jcl ,

The letters CGVWR mean Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating .

That means the weight of the 2008 Honda Odyssey and the 34' Airstream in this case can not exceed 8,410# according to the 2008 Honda Odyssey owners manual .
Unfortunately Andy's rig weighs 13,000# and that my friend is 4,590 # heavier then the CGVWR or about the same as the unladen weight of another 2008 Honda Odyssey .

What part of this don't you and Andy understand.

2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 07-09-2015, 05:15 AM   #296
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
A 2012 on up 3/4 or 1 ton rides smother than a maxed out 1/2 ton.I know as I have had them all.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
How about one that isn't maxed out?
I can only speak to my 1995 & 2006. Our 06 2500 is equipped with Autoride, electromagnetic shocks front and rear, no auto leveling.
It handles better and has a much smoother ride than our 95 2500. Loaded or empty. (LT265/75/R16 Michelin)

Neither Burb caused any trailer damage.

Bob

Old 07-09-2015, 05:21 AM   #297
2 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Orleans , Ontario
Hello, I've learned quite a bit from this discussion, from all parties who clearly are passionate about their positions. Just to throw another number into the mix, the government of British Columbia uses all of the same guidelines but adds another. In BC, the tow vehicle cannot exceed the weight rating (which of course includes any weight transferred by the hitch but which does not include the weight of the trailer itself. The trailer must also remain within it's own axle weight ratings. In addition, and this is the number that seems to be interesting, BC recommends 1 horsepower per 150kg of weight in the complete rig. So in the case of the Honda Odyssey - unless a lot of horsepower has disappeared - there should be no issues as he must have at least 93 HP (at least if my math is correct - which can be suspect as an Arts major) to safely pull his rig and I suspect that most of the original 200+ HP is still available in his engine. http://www.th.gov.bc.ca/cvse/referen...info_sheet.pdf
Old 07-09-2015, 05:24 AM   #298
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Two Airstream rollovers in a month

Will a one ton truck stop trailer sway?

If my truck is not "trail rated" does this mean that I may not take it off the pavement?

Sorry guys. There are a lot of people who think adding up weight that does not even rest on a tow vehicle makes all the difference in the world regarding safety, but it does not.

There are countless safe miles driven where vehicle of less than "3/4 ton" have performed quite well.

I find it a bit irritating when a person, or even worse, when a mob of people emphatically state a thing is "unsafe" where it is demonstrated that it is safe by the experience of countless people. (They are all liars or just stupid I am sure)

For crying out loud, you guys have even convinced a BAMBI OWNER that he needs a at least a 3/4 ton truck... Lol, SERIOUSLY?

I am sorry folks, even if you do read all 927 pages of your ridiculously mundane and boring government/lawyer mandated owners manual, that does not make you a towing expert.

Now, are all of you "1/2 ton deniers" going to pitch in and help the afore mentioned Bambi owner buy his "necessary" new Kodiak tow vehicle?

Old 07-09-2015, 06:24 AM   #299
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

J.

Point well taken...but some us don't opt for 3/4 'cuz of towing ability but payload capacity.
In our case, GVAR's give us the ability to load as needed,(for us), and still have the wiggle room to have what I consider a satisfactory safety margin.

Bob

25' Classic
Burb
DW
Dog
Boat
Hensley
& Lotsa stuff
Old 07-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #300
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Mo flash, please don't confuse these people with logic truth!
Old 07-09-2015, 08:36 AM   #301
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Give me a break.

We bought our Ram 1500 for its safe and controllable handling in emergency maneuvers with and without the Airstream attached, more than adequate braking ability, excellent towing stability (which is a matter of hitch setup, suspension, and tires, not size), very comfortable ride, easy daily driving and maneuvering, and less top heavy making it less likely to roll over and less likely to crush the cab and injure us if it does. It's also less rolling mass to stop quickly when you have to.

If you must travel heavy then you must have a heavy duty truck. Unfortunate choice if overall safety is the concern. If you can manage your gear and weights you can travel and daily drive a variety of light duty trucks, vans, and SUVs that are better suited for the safety and well-being of the passengers as well as others on the roadway.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 07-09-2015, 08:41 AM   #302
Rivet Master

2008 30' Classic S/O
Dearborn , Michigan
at risk of hijacking/trolling this thread...
Andy, I'd love to see CAT slips on your rig.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:10 AM   #303
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Oh my....well, at least it's my 'unfortunate choice'.

Bob
Old 07-09-2015, 12:00 PM   #304
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Two Airstream rollovers in a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
Give me a break.

We bought our Ram 1500 for its safe and controllable handling in emergency maneuvers with and without the Airstream attached, more than adequate braking ability, excellent towing stability (which is a matter of hitch setup, suspension, and tires, not size), very comfortable ride, easy daily driving and maneuvering, and less top heavy making it less likely to roll over and less likely to crush the cab and injure us if it does. It's also less rolling mass to stop quickly when you have to.

If you must travel heavy then you must have a heavy duty truck. Unfortunate choice if overall safety is the concern. If you can manage your gear and weights you can travel and daily drive a variety of light duty trucks, vans, and SUVs that are better suited for the safety and well-being of the passengers as well as others on the roadway.

Who recommended a short box regular cab 2wd 1/2 ton for your application?I just can't imagine some one recommending this for a 25ft Airstream TV.

Old 07-09-2015, 12:08 PM   #305
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
jcl ,

The letters CGVWR mean Combined Gross Vehicle Weight Rating .

That means the weight of the 2008 Honda Odyssey and the 34' Airstream in this case can not exceed 8,410# according to the 2008 Honda Odyssey owners manual .
Unfortunately Andy's rig weighs 13,000# and that my friend is 4,590 # heavier then the CGVWR or about the same as the unladen weight of another 2008 Honda Odyssey .

What part of this don't you and Andy understand.
I can't speak for Andy, but I understand just fine what Honda means. They are using the term to define a tow rating. I don't know where you get the term CGVWR, since you quoted the Honda owner's manual as your reference, and that manual calls it GCWR. The term is commonly used for commercial vehicles which require licensing for the combined tow vehicle and trailer weights. It is another way of stating the tow rating, one that easily allows a manufacturer to reduce the tow rating by the effect of payload in the tow vehicle.

You still haven't answered the original question in response to a claim you posted some time back:

Quote:
On this side of the US boarder (sic) it is unlawful to exceed the tow rating and will get the lawyers involved in case of an collision
We all agreed that GVWR, axle ratings, and tire ratings have legal significance. It appears we are still waiting for the reference that in the US, a tow rating (or a combined vehicle weight rating, effectively the same thing) has legal significance for non commercial vehicles. Perhaps your republic regulates tow ratings, I don't know. But it seems a stretch to claim that such a law applies to all of the US.

Out of interest I did look up the California motor vehicle laws. I found a reference to non commercial towing for RV trailers over a certain weight. The requirement was that the tow vehicle weigh at least 4000 lbs. So there is one legal requirement.

Cheers

Jeff
Old 07-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #306
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Jeff there are 50 states on this side of the us border. All have laws and regulations as do all your Canadian Provinces .

I am not going to search through any of them for you.

Bottom line is Andy's rig is way beyond the factory specs . See pages 396 - 408 in the 2008 Honda Odyssey owners manual regarding towing http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/p...8/HJ0808OM.pdf

That will contribute to Andy's down fall as a defendant in a civil or criminal case. Believe me when I say the lawyers will have a field day. They will look at every law , search the internet and any other resource they have up their sleeve.

At this point I'm done . My Point has been made deal with it.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 07-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #307
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Portland , Oregon
Thanks all again for this thread. It motivated me to research all the capabilities and options of my tow vehicle. I'm pleased to be well guard-banded but will still be even more careful.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:28 PM   #308
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflash View Post
Who recommended a short box regular cab 2wd 1/2 ton for your application?I just can't imagine some one recommending this for a 25ft Airstream TV.

I use a short bed regular cab truck to tow my 31 footer, I am perfectly comfortable driving at highway speeds and even with one hand most of the time.

It stops, it goes, it handles, and it steers,,,,, really well thank you very much....

Closed Thread