Closed Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 02:08 PM   #239
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
No tow vehicle will compensate for a lack of knowledge/common sense. Unfortunately this a common thread throughout human civilization.

It has been proven that some people can tow an Airsteam with a bicycle. It also been proven many times over that some people aren't safe with the best engineered system.

You can lead a horse to water, but ....................

Ken

Old 07-06-2015, 04:07 PM   #240
Rivet Master

1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
Doesn't matter which tow vehicle you have; without trailer brakes you won't stop in time. Andy Thomson would challenge the truck only pundits with the fact that the Dodge TVs they set up had 12 Inch 4-Wheel Disc brakes....which most 1/2 and 3/4 ton trucks do not! He stated the cars would stop faster than the trucks if trailer brakes failed

BTW locking up wheels does not make for faster stopping...hence antilock brakes

But to keep this in perspective, search for the new truck rating system for towing. One of the criteria is how well the truck can stop a trailer without trailer brakes. This all comes from an initiative by the government to regulate towing capacity claims
JCW

Old 07-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #241
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCWDCW View Post
BTW locking up wheels does not make for faster stopping...hence antilock brakes

just for clarification, i used to ride performance MCs at high rates of speed on the track. i consider myself an 'expert' braker, stoppies are not a challenge. i could obtain about 1.5 Gs of braking force without locking up the wheels. ever heard your tires howling from the load?

now we add on ABS and guess what, your braking distance INCREASES. that's right, the pulsing of the system adds length to the stopping distance. almost cost me my life in avoiding an errant deer crossing directly in front of me when that ABS kicked in. BMW MCs are set to engage at 1 g, not enough headroom for good quality braking on dry surfaces. sold that BMW the next week.

so the moral of my tale is learn to take your braking force to the max without engaging that ABS and you will stop way shorter than once it starts pulsing. of course all of this on dry roadways.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #242
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I thought the purpose of ABS was to keep the vehicle stopping in a straight line.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM   #243
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpt View Post
and of course, that was the original message which folks seem to have forgotten.
It might of gotten lost with the insults about our impending death.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:45 PM   #244
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up

....."your braking distance INCREASES."

Maybe, but not usually in Buffalo's snow, and as Doug noted, being able to steer is kind'a nice too.

Bob
Old 07-06-2015, 10:16 PM   #245
Rivet Master

1984 34' International
Toronto , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst View Post
When I gained by college degree in applied mathematics, I understood that the purpose of brakes is to convert kinetic energy (m*v^2) , not momentum (m*v), into heat energy. Additionally, the kinetic energy of a system does not increase exponentially with speed (e^v) It increases with the square (v^2)
Reference:
GCSE PHYSICS - What is Kinetic Energy? - Equations and Calculations - Mass and Velocity - GCSE SCIENCE.
I accept that this amount of detail is not required in a discussion forum such as this, but such detail, if quoted, needs to be accurate, and referenced, IMHO.
Nick
Thanks for cleaning up my rushed and somewhat shoddy math. But while I indeed erred in the detail, the point I was making still stands.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:23 PM   #246
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
So according to the 2008 Trailer Life towing guide the 3.5L v-6 Odyssey has a factory tow rating of 3,500 # .

You are advocating towing a triple axle 30' Airstream that weighs double your tow rating ! Just because you can , doesn't mean you should !

This is irresponsible !

On this side of the US boarder it is unlawful to exceed the tow rating and will get the lawyers involved in case of an collision.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Old 07-06-2015, 11:32 PM   #247
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Speed is the devil. A VW bug should be able to safely tow any trailer up to 5 mph. Sway at 5 mph is hard to imagine. No doubt the accidents described by the OP were due to speed above the tow vehicles ability to handle. A F350 diesel will happily roll above its safe speed.

It's been my observation that the heavy truck drivers when towing will push the speed envolope more agressivly than most others. Maybe it's because their engines are more powerful and it's a easier thing to do.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:11 AM   #248
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post
On this side of the US boarder it is unlawful to exceed the tow rating and will get the lawyers involved in case of an collision.
Source?

On this side of the border, weight ratings have legal significance. Tow ratings don't.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:38 AM   #249
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
month on the road

Ford f150 ecoboost, pulling Eddie Bauer 25... conclusion? Going shopping for a 2500/3500 silverado. Tail wagged me a few too many times.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:21 AM   #250
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Ford f150 ecoboost, pulling Eddie Bauer 25... conclusion? Going shopping for a 2500/3500 silverado. Tail wagged me a few too many times.
That is a surprise. Do you have a pic of your rig? What kind of connection system are you using? thnxs
Old 07-07-2015, 07:15 AM   #251
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenritas View Post

This is not true. No law enforcement agency is concerned with a vehicle's tow rating that I've ever heard or seen. Just more internet forum myth. Please cite any case of someone being cited, charged or sued for exceeding the Manufacturer's TOW RATING.

They are concerned with Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, Gross Combination Weight Rating and Front and Rear Axle Weight Ratings. Even then, I've yet to see, hear or read of an actual case where someone with a personal use towable RV or other trailer was cited, charge, held, convicted or sued for exceeding any of those ratings.

Right now across the highways of the USA there are thousands of 1/2T, 3/4T, and 1T vans, trucks and SUVs being used for commercial applications that are exceeding the manufacturer's TOW RATING.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Old 07-07-2015, 07:28 AM   #252
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Top
I grew up in rural Iowa on a corn farm. I started driving things at an early age. I've driven lots of things over the years starting with an old Cub Cadet lawn mower up to an 8x8 HEMTT truck in the Army. I was a driver instructor for many years. One of the first things I learned trying to teach people to safely operate Army vehicles, was that we all have differing sets of skills. Some people are bad drivers, and it doesn't matter what vehicle they operate, or how much training they receive, they are not, and never will be, a "good" driver. Sometimes these people tow Airstream trailers and roll them going down a hill on a sunny day, or roll them on a flat straight road. Putting them behind the wheel of a 3/4T pickup does not make them a better or safer driver.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Closed Thread