Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2015, 10:19 PM   #183
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
But for the most part, especially where hills, curves, and other vehicles are involved, no CC for me... I want manual control as I can do a much better, much more intelligent (safer and more economical) job of adjusting fuel input for accelerating and for gradually slowing down.
That may or may not be true - it depends on the sophistication of the technology involved. For example, much to the chagrin of traditionists like me, Porsches with automatic transmissions (called Tiptronics) far out-perform human beings shifting manually. There are many, many instances where computers out-perform humans. Intelligent cruise control may be one. Adaptive intelligent cruise control, now available in many cars, is definitely one. I hate it, but humans aren't as quick and reliable as computers. That's why self-drving cars are only a few years away. A self-driving TV!!!

Cheers,
John

WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
Old 07-03-2015, 11:07 PM   #184
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
John&Vicki, do you note the CC preference, brakes or down shifting. My Range Rover HSE will only down shift one gear down hill to maintain speed and does not engage brake (a neat feature you have) so I use the manual to continue to down shift. I had a three mile 7% downhill grade north of Eureka, CA today and only had to hit the brakes briefly twice to maintain 50MPH. I wonder what the degree of braking would be with your rig?

Old 07-04-2015, 12:12 AM   #185
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Too bad my phone was broken for this post.

I will have to admit to only reading a few posts, but it is no doubt that these accidents were caused by inadequate tow vehicles because they just had to be.

It only makes sense.
And the conclusion I jumped to is too much speed down hill and not enough experience towing.

Without the accident investigation report, all this thread is is conjecture. It would be a great benefit and service to all of us if the OP would get his hands on the accident investigation report and share it with us.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:30 AM   #186
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
And the conclusion I jumped to is too much speed down hill and not enough experience towing.

Without the accident investigation report, all this thread is is conjecture. It would be a great benefit and service to all of us if the OP would get his hands on the accident investigation report and share it with us.

I hope my satire was visible....

Old 07-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #187
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcanavera View Post
Problem with cruise controls is that they don't drive with economy in mind. I'll see a hill coming up, I'll gain a little speed. As I climb I'll back off the accelerator, this keeps me from downshifting and I'll get to the top with minimal loss of speed and still in the same gear. With CC on I'll lose speed and the CC will keep pushing down on the gas to hold speed and will eventually cause a downshift. You can really suck gas like that.

Jack
Jack, John & Vicki

On the GM CC....

If I want to increase speed, lets say 5mph, I press the acc button 5 times,(press, wait a second), every press equals 1mph. If I'm gaining on the vehicle in front of me, every press of the deceleration/coast also equals 1 mph.
If I pay close attention and plan ahead my foot rarely has to make adjustments.

Bob
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #188

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
Jack, John & Vicki

On the GM CC....

If I want to increase speed, lets say 5mph, I press the acc button 5 times,(press, wait a second), every press equals 1mph. If I'm gaining on the vehicle in front of me, every press of the deceleration/coast also equals 1 mph.
If I pay close attention and plan ahead my foot rarely has to make adjustments.

Bob

Yep I'm aware if that. The other thing you can do if you are in cruise and run across a few hills is to stay in cruise but also use your foot on the accelerator. That way you can speed up a little earlier which will help keep the speed up without letting the CC coming into play. Once the road flattens out, you just take your foot on the pedal. The key is anticipation. You know your vehicle a lot better than the CC who unfortunately has no eyes and ears.
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 AM   #189
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
It does seem that 1 click of the accelerate button = 1 mph.
I might have finally discovered that in about '99 or 2000.
Life has been easier for realizing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 07-04-2015, 08:45 AM   #190
Rivet Master

There are obvious points obscured in the big vs little tow vehicle argument.
A curve at the end of a long downhill is the hardest maneuver for a vehicle pulling a trailer to execute safely. Even if your rig is perfect you are not going to go around the curve as fast as can with your vehicle alone. It is up to you to know the maximum safe speed and go around the curve well under it.
Moreover, the weight of the trailer pushes the rig to go faster on a steep downhill. Engine braking is less effective. Drum trailer brakes are weak to begin with and fade out fast so your vehicle brakes have to do most of the work.
If you are carrying too much speed at the start of the curve, you are not going make it by hard braking in the curve. With a trailer, hard braking around the curve impairs the handling.
As others have said the best way to handle a steep down hill is the way the truckers do and that is to go slow all the way using engine braking as much as possible. Curvy mountain roads have pull outs. I use these as much as possible to let traffic get by me.
Equally obvious is the point that if the rig is improperly set up, over loaded or misloaded maximum safe speed around that steep downhill curve will be reduced.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:30 AM   #191
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
In that scenario, you should have slowed to nearly nothing before reaching the curve. The only way to navigate the curve safely is slowly.
This comes to play when exiting a highway. You should reduce your speed to the posted ramp speed before you start down and around the curve. In some instances, after slowing to the ramp speed and beginning the turn, you should apply slight fuel to create a little tension/pull on the trailer. This creates control. You are pulling the trailer rather than the trailer pushing you. The trailer becomes a controlled object rather than a whip, sling-shot, free weight, or what-have-ya-

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
Old 07-04-2015, 10:31 AM   #192
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by handn View Post
-------------------------------------------

A curve at the end of a long downhill is the hardest maneuver for a vehicle pulling a trailer to execute safely.
---------------------------------------------------
As near as I can tell, these curves must be considered a good thing by "highway engineers". In the mountainous terrain in the west, I have encountered countless occurrences of this situation. Many, to my apparently uneducated eye, appear totally unnecessary.

Ken
Old 07-04-2015, 10:40 AM   #193
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post
As near as I can tell, these curves must be considered a good thing by "highway engineers". In the mountainous terrain in the west, I have encountered countless occurrences of this situation. Many, to my apparently uneducated eye, appear totally unnecessary.

Ken
You thank that is unnecessary check out this crazy intersection. It is called a diverging diamond interchange We recently had one built. They are averaging 2 wrecks a week from people going the wrong direction. It is like engineers just sit around thinks up jokes to play on gulable tax payers.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	242178  

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 AM   #194
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I think a lot of what we're discussing here is essentially oversteer and how to avoid it. I just started a new thread on oversteer:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f463...ml#post1646556

I debated whether to post it here or in a new thread and decided it was maybe worth a discussion of it's own.

Cheers,
John
WBCCI #4291

Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 AM   #195
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Just wondering -- Why two 23-footers?

Is anyone besides me curious why the two Airstreams that rolled over were both 23-foot models?

If my memory is correct, the 23-footer has a narrow body, two 20-pound propane tanks, one battery, and four 14-inch tires, which makes it significantly different from other Airstream models. Also, I suspect that the 23-footer may be produced in lower quantities than the larger Airstream sizes; which makes this coincidence even more interesting.

With all of the Airstreams that have probably been towed over this same stretch of road, I wonder why both of these were 23-footers...

Note: It appears that the 23-footer's tongue weight could be between 7.5 and 12.5% of total weight, depending on model and options.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:53 AM   #196
Rivet Master

1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
John&Vicki, do you note the CC preference, brakes or down shifting. My Range Rover HSE will only down shift one gear down hill to maintain speed and does not engage brake (a neat feature you have) so I use the manual to continue to down shift. I had a three mile 7% downhill grade north of Eureka, CA today and only had to hit the brakes briefly twice to maintain 50MPH. I wonder what the degree of braking would be with your rig?
So far I have controlled my speed on downgrades mostly with manual down-shifting. I'm going to experiment with using cruise control but the fact that it uses the brakes and the engine may be a mixed blessing: great for curvy roads but maybe not so great for long downgrades where you could experience brake over-heating and fading, especially on the primitive trailer drum brakes (I'd love to have disc brakes on the trailer!).

Cheers,
John

WBCCI #4291

Closed Thread