Old 10-07-2008, 05:30 PM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
TV vibration at 40-46 mph

Need some opinions on where to look for this. I have a QX56 Infiniti pulling a 2004 25 classic. The TV rides smooth without the trailer attached. With the trailer attached (w/d dual cam hitch), just as you get up to 40 mph it starts to vibrate like there is a bad tire out of balance (just had the TV tires balanced before taking the trailer out). This vibration goes away when you get up to about 46 mph. and then it is nice and smooth again. This also happens when slowing down. It goes through the same cycle. The vibrating it does is hard to describe. It is more like going over a mild washboard dirt road. You have no problem feeling it!
Could this be caused by the trailer tires not balanced right? or should I be looking at the tv tires for it? We just bought the Airstream and this was our first time out with it. The tires on the trailer are almost new Marathon ones. I can not see anything wrong with them. Any ideas??

Bob

Old 10-07-2008, 05:38 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
TV vibration at 40-46 mph

Greetings Bob!

This is just a thought, but if your Infiniti has automatic level ride or some sort of automatic adjusting suspension, it is critical that you follow the manufacturers recommendations for correct order of hitching activities. I know that this is important with both my Cadillac and Oldsmobile both of which have the level ride package. If the car's suspension is trying to do the leveling rahter than the weight distribution spring bars, it can cause a number of different quirks such as the one your are experiencing.

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
hmmm - I'd look at a couple of things.... try rotating the tv tires front to back, and see if the vibration goes away. There could be a slight imbalance with one of the rears, and it only shows up with a load on it. OR, check your shocks to make sure you don't have a bad rear one.

I know you said you had "almost new trailer tires"... but check them for any bulges or ridges in the sidecaps, or strange "humps" in the tread. They're been some posts on these tires loosing their belts... I'd also go get them balanced as well.

Is the DC set up correctly. I'm not too familiar with the setup, but maybe it's not oriented correctly for "straight ahead", binding the tv and trailer making for an oscilation(sp)?
Marc
Old 10-07-2008, 06:34 PM   #4
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Generally, a bent wheel, or tire with a "hop" would show itself at speeds of 40-50 mph. I would check all the wheels and tires on both the tv and trailer for this. The tire can balance out with the wheel bent, and will exhibit these characteristics. An out of balance tire will generally be felt between 55-65 mph. This is for 15-16" tire sizes, but are close for other sizes as well.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Wickenburg , Arizona
Look for a driveline out of balance ,or bad C.V. joints.If it is rear wheel drive, u-joints or inproper drive line angle when the vehicle is loaded. you need 1-3 degree's of drive line angle.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:14 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Funny situation, my truck does the same thing at the same speed. Smooth as silk empty, towing a minor vibration at 45-50 and then goes away. Trailer has brand new marathons, balanced. I cant remember if it did this with the original marathons, and really, it could be something with a loaded truck causing it. I have a funny feeling it will be tough to find it and the rig performs perfectly on now its 4 th cross country trip in just over a year. I think the don't fix it if it aint broke rule applies. I still would like try centramatics, maybe that is for the next journey in December.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Hey there Bob. We tow with an Infiniti too and use a Reese Dual Cam.

The boys have posted some good ideas so far.

Suggest isolating the TV/Airstream.

Is it possible to tow another TT for a test run. This should let you know what end of the combination to work on.

good luck
Old 10-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #8
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS View Post
...Any ideas??
hi bob

the Q usually has 20 INCH wheels. i hope they are NOT larger.

-the tires/wheels on this vehicle really need to be 'road force' balanced, is that what was done?

-is this the AWD version?

-at what RPM do the shimmyshakes happen?

-in what gear do the shimmyshakes happen?

-have u tried manually shifting UP or DOWN while keeping the speed constant at 44 mph?

my thoughts are drive line or half axles (rotating iron) on the tv, as the root of this,

but ultimately u may need to drop by the infininty dealer while towing, and take a service guy for a ride...

let us know what u find.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 10:14 PM   #9
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Some very good ideas here, Thank you.
It does have the automatic level ride. I did set the W/D with the engine off and sitting for 30 min. before connecting it. I think all is good there. The rear did come up about 1" after starting, but from what I have read, you want the front of the trailer up just a little. Maybe I should try going from 5 links to six and see if there is any difference.
The bent wheel one is something to look for and at the same time I will try switching the tires front to back.
This has the stationary differential, so there is no drive line angle to worry about. CV joints, yes, but it was just serviced and only has 27,000 miles.
I wish there was another trailer around to try. That would be a real help!
Does anyone know, for a fact, if you would feel the tires being out of balance or have a bent trailer wheel while driving?
This is a 2006 Q and has the 18" wheels. and has the AWD. It happens while accelerating, so I would assume it is in 3rd or 4th gear. But it also happens while slowing down, and I would think it is in 5th gear then. I have not tried holding it in gear while maintaining that speed. I have just maintained a steady 45mph and the vibration is constant.
Again Thanks, Bob
Old 10-08-2008, 07:14 AM   #10
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
I think 2air may have nailed it...road force balance. Worth a try. Not expensive and well worth it for both TV and AS. Most speciality tire stores are able to do it.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 07:34 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
If you don't have another trailer to try suggest jacking up your trailer. Get the tires of the ground and give each one a spin. Look for an irregularity. Cost nothing.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
holland , Michigan
Sounds like Diesel1 maybe on to something. Even as the truck sits level fully loaded, weight distribution by the reese has the truck lowered big time. That must impact driveline angle etc. Anyway, I am leaving it alone, but for the Q the auto level system does complicate things, good luck.