Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2013, 07:01 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
So...

An update on my reviews of the acceptable TVs out there in the half and three quarter category. It seems my choice is limited not by features or capabilities; but rather the ceiling liner of the vehicles.

In nearly all pickup trucks there is the standard ceiling liner which carries a dip about halfway back to run wires to the center lights, etc. time was the only pickup I could not fit into due to this dip was the Chevy - it was (and still is) too far forward. It seems Dodge (my former vehicle in this category) has joined the pack with a vengeance - its cab and a half and double cab models both carry a savage dip now in order to support not only lights, but ceiling speakers for the audio systems, etc.

I was hopeful that the F250 would do better. My late brothers widow's new husband has an 06 double cab 250 farm model with a good two inches of headroom left and no annoying ceiling dip - but alas ... The current year F250 actually has LESS headroom than the F150...

I've tried both electrical and manual adjust seats in all the four major brands now and the winners of the "still can fit a seven foot tall guy well" are the Ford F150 standard cab (and standard cab only with a manual adjust seat) and the ANY of the three cab lengths of the Toyota Tundra...

So finally I can start looking at the F150 (ecoboost) versus the Tundra in terms of capabilities, comfort in test driving and feature sets, reliabilities, etc...
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 10:29 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Ian

Tundra is changing the interior on the 2014 models for the first time in 7 years. You may want to look at a 2014 model before you make your decision.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:14 PM   #43
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I second TouringDan's comments on the 2008 Tundra -- We love our Toyota. The engine is powerful, and the transmission is as close to perfect for towing, as I have experienced.

FYI, the auto review sites say that the 2014 Tundra is only a cosmetic face lift. All items under the hood and body, including the engine, transmission and drive train, are unchanged.
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote