Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
TV too strong!

Hi all,

I posted a while back a thread about a potential bent A frame. Lots of posts resulted but eventually closed by Admin for "review". It was never reopened.

I stored my AS for the winter and never really looked back at the thread until now.

I will "relaunch" the thread in spring once I properly evaluate the A frame, but, in the meantime, I wanted to respond to a few of the posts I saw.

The claim that my TV (F350) was too strong for my AS (27FB) and therefore the source of the potential stress, could be a valid argument BUT, to throw that claim as a general rule is I believe reckless.

Yes indeed, if you want to cruise around flat interstates and only go to private campgrounds, the claim that a SUV, sedan or light truck is sufficient "might" have some credibility. You can enjoy the "bouncy" drive so long gusty winds or huge semi truck don't come your way. As a matter of fact, I was going to tow my AS with an SUV and realize (thanks to this forum) that it was plain silly. Why?

Because when I go camping, I go for 2-3 months, I have in or on the TV, a 20 foot aluminum canoe, generator, gasoline tanks, lots of fresh water tanks, fishing gear, two barbecue, four bicycles, wake-boards, chairs, tables...etc and I almost forgot my wife, two children and dog

And guess what, I typically don't like places along interstates. I like explore remote places. Sometimes off-road, sometimes 9,000 feet, going up or down at 15+% grade with sharp turns along ravins (sometimes with no safety railings - ask my wife!!), rain, snow, wind. All that pulling a big trailer and fully loaded TV.

Bottom line, if you wish to cruise, great for you, but no one should endanger others, especially newbies looking for crucial information, by making silly claims like this just because it "works" for you.

I'll be back.
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I think there are just trying to help.

Have you really been going on these trips with your 2010 Airstream, or is that the plan. Endanger others, what about your family? I've been on those trips, but would never consider it with a large Airstream, no matter the tow vehicle.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2010 27' FB International
Miami , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I think there are just trying to help.

Have you really been going on these trips with your 2010 Airstream, or is that the plan. Endanger others, what about your family? I've been on those trips, but would never consider it with a large Airstream, no matter the tow vehicle.

Doug
I am not disputing the fact that the posters' intent is trying to help but, my point is that while doing so posters should actually put their comments in context. Again, just to say that all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are too stiff and inadequate to tow AS is irresponsible. I am glad I did not follow their advice and hope others won't.

Yes, I recently completed a 5 months trip from East to West coast through the NM and CO mountains, Big Sur and Trinity in California. The TV handled it perfectly and never felt a loss of control. Btw, that Hill Descent Assist of Ford is really neat. I would never attempt to go to the same places without my TV.

Cheers
gamana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by gamana View Post
I am not disputing the fact that the posters' intent is trying to help but, my point is that while doing so posters should actually put their comments in context. Again, just to say that all 3/4 and 1 ton trucks are too stiff and inadequate to tow AS is irresponsible. I am glad I did not follow their advice and hope others won't.

Yes, I recently completed a 5 months trip from East to West coast through the NM and CO mountains, Big Sur and Trinity in California. The TV handled it perfectly and never felt a loss of control. Btw, that Hill Descent Assist of Ford is really neat. I would never attempt to go to the same places without my TV.

Cheers
i have towed with 3500 1 ton 4x4 for last 20 years, best control tv you can have. camped at alot of campgrounds in the mountains and foot hills and i'll tell you all campgrounds spaces are not level. some spaces that you have to back into are so steep a light tv would sit there and spinn. i have watched them do that. i can tell you a lot of crazy things i have seen watching people with there tv rig, i have a lot of fun watching people comeing and going in campgrounds, thats part of the fun camping.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Just my opinion, but I think you should tow your Airstream with whatever you want, as long as it makes you happy, and you are NOT towing more trailer than your tow vehicle is rated for.

YMMV
Old 01-30-2011, 07:48 AM   #6
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Lopez Island , Washington
You're not going to bend the A frame because the truck is too stiff.... however, I'd be suspicious if you have a weight distributing hitch with heavy bars and you tow in places where the truck develops a real nose up angle with respect to the trailer. This puts a lot of bending moment on the front A frame.

- Bart
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:54 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
You're not going to bend the A frame because the truck is too stiff.... however, I'd be suspicious if you have a weight distributing hitch with heavy bars and you tow in places where the truck develops a real nose up angle with respect to the trailer. This puts a lot of bending moment on the front A frame.

- Bart
If I went offroad with a 1 ton and an airstream the w/d bars would be in the bed of the truck.
r carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:22 AM   #8
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
May be not too strong but the tension on the weight distribution bars is too high. I tow with an F-250 Diesel. Many do. The also tow with Dodge 2500 and the Chevy 2500.
I have broken several parts of the WD set up over the years.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a 2500 Silverado, and had heavyweight bars. Switched down to the 600 lb bars and the difference in vibration inside the trailer is great. I've got magnets on the stove hood that always used to bounce loose. Not any more. Towing control is still great. It is a given that I don't tow in the Rockies being in Virginia, but I've learned to slow way down on potholed roads, and I agree if I were offroading I'd loosen or remove the bars.

Paula

Happy trails to you!
Old 01-30-2011, 11:00 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
I have a 2500 Silverado, and had heavyweight bars. Switched down to the 600 lb bars and the difference in vibration inside the trailer is great. I've got magnets on the stove hood that always used to bounce loose. Not any more. Towing control is still great. It is a given that I don't tow in the Rockies being in Virginia, but I've learned to slow way down on potholed roads, and I agree if I were offroading I'd loosen or remove the bars.

Paula

Happy trails to you!
Paula, did you see in the news that rosie had died, good write up on her.
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Same experience here with my F350. The lighter bars made a huge difference. I also agree with removing the bars on bad roads. All things considered, I much rather have too much TV than too little. With my new F250, I can pull it anywhere and stop it anytime.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I've never had a heavy duty pickup, but you never know.

Having trouble understanding how a heavier pickup stops better than a lighter one, or holds the speed down better with trailer attached on a steep downgrade. Seems more mass means harder to stop.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
My response to this question is as follows: I have heard of problems towing with a heavy duty vehicle, but have not seen or noticed any problems myself! Andy has stated to me I would kill my Airstream towing with my truck, but to this day I repeat I have not had a problem. I do not tow recklessly and slow down on bad roads so as not to put unecessary strain on the a- frame. I do not use load equalizer bars or anything else other than the ball and safety chains. At this time I have over 8000 miles of towing with no problems far. I believe I have one of if not the largest tow vehicle on this forum (see pics). Just my two cents, but so far so good.

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Send a message via AIM to hhendrix Send a message via Yahoo to hhendrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
I've never had a heavy duty pickup, but you never know.

Having trouble understanding how a heavier pickup stops better than a lighter one, or holds the speed down better with trailer attached on a steep downgrade. Seems more mass means harder to stop.

Doug
Bigger truck has more mass, yes, but also has a higher load and towing capacity. Bigger brakes and heavier suspension for better control. In my mind I'm comparing towing my 8000# AS with a F150 as opposed to my F250.
hhendrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
It seems this topic is translated by many to mean different things, almost like a religious word having different means depending on which faith you have been raised with …

For me, power and a truck with more handling capabilities are a requirement for responsible towing: I believe I owe that not only to my family, but also to the people with whom I share the road. It’s just part of being responsible. However, that doesn’t equate to having the TV with the stiffest of springs. That’s a whole different topic (and they are separable). You can take measures to have an appropriate power/braking/TV ratio, and still have an adequately soft ride not only for the trailer, but for the occupants of the TV (which makes travel a lot more enjoyable).

I’ve rebuilt a 1966 Safari (see my photo gallery) that had a lot of damage over the years due to being towed by a stiffly suspended TV. As a result, if I hadn’t been stupid enough to ignorantly do a full frame-off restoration, its road worthy life was almost over – the shell had almost completely separated from the frame/floor for the entire front half of the trailer (which I didn’t know, and couldn’t see, until I tore the inside skin off to expose the frame/sub-flooring).
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #16
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
............ I believe I have one of if not the largest tow vehicle on this forum (see pics). Just my two cents, but so far so good.

Curt
No question there Curt lol. That tail won't be wagging no dog!

2500HD DMax............30' Classic