Old 09-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
TV tires

HI again folks
i am towing a 2002 31 clasic with a 2009 GMC Yukon xl. I have only had it out a couple of short trips and it seemed to pull o.k. the 5.3 howels at the hills. cant wait to drag it over the hill in Penn.!
i am using a Hensley hitch so it seems to pull nice and straight. my question is this....
i need to buy new summer tires and want to repalce my P235/70R15 with a stiffer tire that will better handle the added weight of the trailer. i went to my Tire Guy and we talked about the virtues of 10 ply 8 ply and 6 ply tires. i prefer to use a Michelin tire if I can find the one I need. can anybody shed some light based on sound experiance as to what Michelin tire I should be looking at??????? given the added weight from the c31.
thanks
Pete

Old 09-25-2013, 03:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think the only tire Michelin offers now in the 15" size is the p235 XL. Rumor has it that it is the same tire as the older load range C LT tire that they used to sell. I use them on my trailer. Heavy duty 15" tires are hard to find now. New wheels for the Denali maybe? Goodyear may still make the Wranglers in a 15 inch size. I run load range E Michelins on my 2500 but they are on 17 inch wheels.

Old 09-25-2013, 03:30 PM   #3
Full Time Alumaloafer

1966 24' Tradewind
Livingston , Texas
I have the Michelin LTX's on my trailer and TV, and have had great results, plus the versatility of using spares on either vehicle. That said, if I had a trailer with substantially heavier tongue weight, I'd consider switching to 16" rims and tires.

Phillipians 4:13
louaxtjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 03:56 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
Houston , Texas
If the Cost is Inconsequential..............

If the cost is inconsequential, transition to larger wheels which will allow for lower profile tires, i.e. shorter sidewalls, which in turn keep sidewall "wallow" to a minimum; keeps the tail from beginning to wag the dog.

The wheels on my 2001 BMW X5 are Michelin Diamaris of 255/50R19 front and 285/45R19 rear; makes the X5 an absolutely stable TV.
Old 09-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2002 31' Classic
lanark , Ontario
sorry guys
my tire size is 265r70/17 on the Yukon!! i have been looking at tire sites all afternoon and I think I'm loosing it...... if I ever had it.
thanks
Pete
Old 09-25-2013, 04:20 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Please do yourself a favor and install 16 or 17 inch rims.
They are widely available because so many Chevy and GMC owners install custom rims.
Then purchase Michelins in either LTX 265/70R or 265/75R depending on whether you find 16 or 17 inch rims, in a Load Range E.
Others may disagree, but I suggest you should never run a P tire on a TV.
And by the way, the cost should be inconsequential. Tires may be one of the most consequential purchases you can make where safety is concerned.
I just happen to run Michelin LTX265/75R-16 on my Silverado and LTX265/70R-17 on my Suburban. I have had some version of the same tire on the preceding Silverado and four preceding Suburbans. They are wonderful tires.
Four Corners Unit WBCCI #8654
Alumaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yeah. If you have 17 inch wheels just install the 265 load range E Michelins and you will be good to go.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
sorry guys
my tire size is 265r70/17 on the Yukon!! i have been looking at tire sites all afternoon and I think I'm loosing it...... if I ever had it.
thanks
Pete
Thanks for clarifying that. It was the first thing I noticed and by correcting that, it saved a bunch of checking on things.

First, I am NOT a fan of replacing P type tires with LT type tires. Why? Because in order to carry the same load a P type tire does, an LT type tire needs to use 15 psi more. That changes the spring rate of the tire and that has implications for vehicle handling.

Second, is that I am assuming you've done your homework and made sure you were using the correct inflation pressure - the one on the vehicle tire placard - AND that your vehicle is capable of towing the trailer (per the owners manual specs).

And lastly, you will find that there are only Load Range E LT265/70R17's.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
P metric tires have 2-ply sidewalls.
This makes them inherently unsafe for towing and unsuitable for use with a weight distribution hitch that puts so much stress of the sidewalls of the tow vehicles tires in my opinion.
When Michelin made Load Range D tires, that was a better choice for towing; but alas they are no more.
Old 09-26-2013, 11:58 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Alameda , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by withidl View Post
If the cost is inconsequential, transition to larger wheels which will allow for lower profile tires, i.e. shorter sidewalls, which in turn keep sidewall "wallow" to a minimum; keeps the tail from beginning to wag the dog. The wheels on my 2001 BMW X5 are Michelin Diamaris of 255/50R19 front and 285/45R19 rear; makes the X5 an absolutely stable TV.
Have to say that I was surprised on how well the "lower profile" or shorter sidewall tires work for the truck while towing.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:54 AM   #11
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Seems there are plenty of Michelin options available...

Check your Cat Scale tickets for loading numbers, read the spec sheets carefully.

Been well pleased with the LTX 16" version on our 06 Burb. Great tire!!

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 AM   #12
CapriRacer

I'm in the , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumaholic View Post
P metric tires have 2-ply sidewalls.......
LT metric tires have 2 ply sidewalls. Wouldn't that mean they are also unsafe for towing?

How about truck tires with their 1 ply sidewall?

Sorry, but the number of plies has nothing whatsoever to do with a tire's ability to tow. From the tire's perspective, it only knows it is carrying a load and has a certain amount of torque going through it.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapriRacer View Post
LT metric tires have 2 ply sidewalls. Wouldn't that mean they are also unsafe for towing?

How about truck tires with their 1 ply sidewall?

Sorry, but the number of plies has nothing whatsoever to do with a tire's ability to tow. From the tire's perspective, it only knows it is carrying a load and has a certain amount of torque going through it.
Alumaholic.... "P metric tires have 2-ply sidewalls.
This makes them inherently unsafe for towing and unsuitable for use with a weight distribution hitch that puts so much stress of the sidewalls of the tow vehicles tires in my opinion.
When Michelin made Load Range D tires, that was a better choice for towing; but alas they are no more."

You beat me to it Capri...busy taking photo's.

Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09171.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	231.9 KB
ID:	196495   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC09173.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	245.7 KB
ID:	196496  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Thanks Robert Cross!

When you speak, I listen, because I know your posts are always coherent and fact-based.
I apologize for the misinformation regarding sidewall plies.
What may have once been true is no longer consistent with today's sidewall markings as quoted here:

"Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of carcass plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply"

So, I stand corrected and revise my suggestion. When selecting tires, anyone towing a trailer should consider the additional load the weight distribution hitch adds to the load on the tires of the tow vehicle in addition to the weight of the tow vehicle itself, passengers, and gear.

I was happiest with Load Range D, but I only run Michelin tires and I can only find Michelins in Load Range E.