Old 01-25-2008, 01:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member
1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
TV replacement shocks needed

Hello All,
From what I have read so far Bilsten seems to be the shocks of choice for TVs.
My setup is 2000 GMC Sierra 1/2 ton, 23' Safari '75.
The shocks need replacement and wondered if Bilstens would work for me or some other option.
I have taken it out about 4 times so far, still relatively new to towing and AS in general. I have noticed some up/down oscillation when crossing RR tracks thd the like.
Thank you all for your responses.

SafariSogood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:26 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I had factory equipped Bilsteins on my '92 Chevy Z71 and they were still going strong when my kid rolled the truck at 143,000 miles.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #3
Rivet Master
1973 27' Overlander
1972 29' Ambassador
St. Paul , Minnesota
I have a '99 F-150 with the factory off-road package that the CAT scale weight with topper and equipment needed to hitch up and travel means I am about 200 pounds under GVWR of 6300 pounds including trailer tongue weight.

I just had to put Bilsteins on almost four years ago. I wish I had gone with OEM or Rancho shocks - either the factory 2-3" lift in the suspension package was not compensated for in the Bilsteins valving or the design is purely meant for chasing across hummocks and pastures or rock quarries not paved roads.

It all varies by make and model application, the ones the catalog spec'd for me had so much nitrogen pre charge it took most or all my 200 pounds to compress them. Riding on city streets is like being on a water bed with a couple of teenagers leaping around - a lot of hop, wiggle and romp that gets tiring after a while.

When actually giving the truck a workout it seems rock solid - running around empty flogs occupants. Just my 2-cents worth, Ford's torsion suspension is a whole lot different than coil springs - but the Bilsteins are maximum stiff where something less would do...

Wabbiteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Bilsteins are great. I bought them for my Ford E150 when the factory shocks lasted about 30k, and HD Monroes were bad from day one and worse after the next 30k, when I put on the Bilsteins. Truck now is my son's, has about 150k and the shocks are still very good. Bought them through Tire Rack.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 06:36 AM   #5
Rivet Master
1984 31' Excella
Norfolk , Virginia

I went with Monroes. There was a model of Monroes that fit my G3500 Van that were a "Super Duty" of sorts. They were made for ambulances and other heavy severe applications. They are huge. They are not air shocks and they work quite well.
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:13 AM   #6

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Can Recommend These

Installed these in the 95 Burb at 15k, a very good shock imho.

Edelbrock IAS Performer Car and Truck Shocks and Struts -
AF #1

"Sticks & stones can break your bones...and hail will dent your Airstream"

So when is this..."old enough to know better" supposed to kick in?
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:18 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member
2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
I recommend Bilsteins. Our Saab Turbo came with Bilstein shocks from the factory as did many of the off-road packages from Chrysler, Chevy and Toyota. The Bilsteins are a quality product unlike many things we buy toady with a lifetime warranty, they actually outlasts the vehicle so you don't have to spend time looking for the receipt years later and request a replacement. Since that day I put Bilsteins on both our Cherokees, son's Saab EMS and his truck. They lived up to my 1st priority, excellent control on rough roads, high speed sweepers and corners (I don't tow the Airstream all the time). For comfort they have a good firm ride like a quality european car but not harsh like most heavy duty shocks sold for trucks, vans and 4X4's.

Don (KD6UVT) & Gail Williams

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote