Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy View Post
I've got two '76 FJ40's, one since new and I'd have to just say that the wheelbase and compliant suspension is my only concern. As has been said, you can't tear them up so drivetrain, etc. is not a concern even if it were bone stock original. With that power plant you won't have any troubles going...the stopping would concern me only due to the wheelbase...see jackknifing here. I learned to drive on one in Montana and any amount of slick on the road and it wanted to swap ends. I've pulled a number of trailers with mine but always on logging roads and never over 20mph...they were designed for that. Unless the steering ratio is revamped (and powered), you couldn't possibly correct in time to avoid it changing directions. The compliant suspension allows it go anywhere but body roll and pitch/heave don't make it a stellar TV...marginal at best. But I (reluctantly) agree, keep it at a reasonable speed, no snow/ice and you should be fine.
Marc
Uh...yeah...those old drums were....well....interesting! I know the new setup would eliminate the issues posted....HOWEVER...great brakes still do not trump swapping ends with a short wheelbase. Physics be physics...and always will be (although we're getting very good on cheating physics). Murphy still RULES!!! Never forget that!
Buy it, tow it....but PLEASE be prudent (until you unhitch and go rock crawlin' or muddin....then all bets are off!!!!!)
Send photos!!! I gotta love it!! (can I live vicariously thru you?)
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:49 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I gotta tell you. I can't find ANYTHING that is second class from a cost nor engineering standpoint from all the pics you have posted. Inertia is your only enemy here. I wish I had the means to own one of these!

I think I'd go FJ45 this time around. This is me......lovin' it

Can I abuse it off road sometime?
Old 11-15-2010, 05:54 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by B25guy View Post
I've got two '76 FJ40's, one since new and I'd have to just say that the wheelbase and compliant suspension is my only concern. As has been said, you can't tear them up so drivetrain, etc. is not a concern even if it were bone stock original. With that power plant you won't have any troubles going...the stopping would concern me only due to the wheelbase...see jackknifing here. I learned to drive on one in Montana and any amount of slick on the road and it wanted to swap ends. I've pulled a number of trailers with mine but always on logging roads and never over 20mph...they were designed for that. Unless the steering ratio is revamped (and powered), you couldn't possibly correct in time to avoid it changing directions. The compliant suspension allows it go anywhere but body roll and pitch/heave don't make it a stellar TV...marginal at best. But I (reluctantly) agree, keep it at a reasonable speed, no snow/ice and you should be fine.
Marc
Wanna sell one to a po' ol' boy....cheap? I'd love to get back in the game again!
Old 11-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
CLK,
Those are some mean brakes...should be plenty but as dzn said, physics is physics...it's more the wheelbase in this case. Both of mine have front discs and even when I had to tow a 10k bobcat down a fairly steep, rutted dirt road I never felt like I didn't have the brakes, just had to keep that trailer directly behind at all times else we were going to swap who's doin' what. Even the stock drums in back have two slave cylinders...they knew what they were doing when they designed them back then. Just be careful and recognize they are purpose (re-purpose?) built vehicles with very peculiar manners compared to what I would call traditional vehicles.

dznf0g,
I'd love to be able to get rid of one or both but seems like they've become part of the family now and even though I have three girls (two so far have had the pleasure of learning to drive stick in an FJ40), they don't have much interest in them anymore but anytime I mention selling them to a good home they say I can't. At this rate, the one I learned to drive at 16 and the same one my girls learned on will probably be teaching my grand kids.

Marc
B25guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 07:55 PM   #25
CLK
2 Rivet Member

Seattle , Washington
Thanks Guys!

I called the people at Airstream Adventures Northwest (they're in Portland OR). I'm going to try & go down there this week, to look around. They have a, 2011 Airstream 16' Sport, in stock. Link below:
2011 Airstream 16' Sport - Airstream Oregon Dealer

A couple questions:
1) Should I start a separate thread on this topic
2) Is/will there be any significant changes/differences, between a 2010 & 2011 model? (My TV will not be ready until after the new year, so no rush on my part to buy now,.. I even have the time to special order)

3) What are some important/relevant things I should look at?
4) What are some important/relevant things I should ask about?

Finally, some info about myself & how I plan to use the trailer:

I'm a 42 yr old bachelor, have no kids, & never been married. I might get a small dog. I also have boats, & am used to living in small quarters. My brother & his family have a larger TT, as does my mother. I will be doing family trips with them, & therefore, will be 'socializing' in a larger TT than my 16ftr. I won't be going out every weekend - more like 6 times a year.

Hope the info above gives some color into how I plan to use it, & therefore, give you all, an idea of what I should look for, &/or think about.

Thanks again!
~CLK
CLK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
16' sport