Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-13-2018, 07:04 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
TV for '19 Globetrotter? And...TVs for smaller drivers?

Hi all!

I have been envying all these beautiful Airstreams and lurking in the forums for years-and finally, my fiancé and I will be picking up our 2019 Globetrotter on Tuesday!

So... we have a Toyota Sequoia (Platinum) with towing capacity of 7100, which we're hoping is enough to get it home (we live about an hour or so from the dealership). It's a relatively flat drive.

We previously had a 32' motorhome and a VW Rialta, so we have a little experience with RVs, but none with towing.

But we know we need something bigger (the TV), especially with 4 big teenagers. Also, my partner is 6'1"-ish and I'm 5'0"...so I would love to drive something where I don't feel like a little kid in the driver's seat.

I've been kind of liking the idea of a Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7 CTD, but I have no idea about the difference between all the different brands and especially all the detailed specs.

And of course, we need to buy used (having bought the AS, and the first kid starting college in the fall--with the others soon to follow)...so looking for something ideally under $25K. Of course, it will have to have a little more mileage /age for that price.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated and especially if there are any smaller people out there driving these big trucks, I would love to know your experience!

Thanks for sharing so much on these forums. It's an education!

Liz (& Jean-Georges)
bakerliz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 02:29 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
The Ram will do fine pulling the 27’. It won’t carry six people very comfortably. Hopefully the kids have their own car...and tent. I bought mine used with just 37,000 miles and it wasn’t cheap but it’s a real nice truck. My wife is small and she’s comfortable driving the truck and also has towed the trailer.

You could also pull that with a heavy duty van or large SUV. Again I’d be more concerned with cramming six large people into an airstream than how I was gonna get it to the campground.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 06:29 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 25' Excella
2011 19' Flying Cloud
Santa Ynez , California
I second the tent idea, or two. A shell topper on the pickup can also make for a good sleeping area.

Alan
AlinCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 07:03 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
By the numbers, Airstreams are pretty easy to tow, even a 27’. Any 250/2500-class vehicle will tow it easily and many tow successfully with less. It’s a bit of a religious topic around here — try to look past the dogma and fervor.

One way to do that is to look at numbers. The numbers you need to pay attention to are payload and axle weight ratings. Let’s say the average weight for everyone is 150 lbs—that’s 900 lbs in humans alone (and that’s before the Cracker Barrel stop). Add the loaded tongue weight of a 27’ Airstream trailer and you’re already at or over many vehicle’s payload ratings. You will also need to watch the weight on the trailer. The GT 27 doesn’t have a lot of cargo capacity—the brochure numbers are optimistic, and options like the 2nd AC quickly reduce available cargo capacity.

People of course regularly exceed these weight ratings either unwittingly or intentionally. The numbers game is an academic one but is, for me anyway, inseparable from safety concerns. But everyone has a different threshold for how much wiggle room they are comfortable with.

I agree with earlier comments, though—your issues are going to be sleeping logistics and having space for people in transit. Two cars would be simple. Vans are awesome but I couldn’t find one that would work for my purposes (family of 4, modest amount of gear like bikes and stuff). We’re bringing a small tent with us next summer in case the kids want to be outside or, more likely, in case I want the kids to be outside .

Congrats on the trailer! I’m finalizing the sale on my GT27 on Monday. We can’t wait to begin our journey in the spring.
Old 12-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , FL
The adjustable pedals on our Ram 2500 diesel make it easy for height challenged drivers.
Bob Peahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 10:45 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakerliz View Post
Hi all!

I have been envying all these beautiful Airstreams and lurking in the forums for years-and finally, my fiancé and I will be picking up our 2019 Globetrotter on Tuesday!

So... we have a Toyota Sequoia (Platinum) with towing capacity of 7100, which we're hoping is enough to get it home (we live about an hour or so from the dealership). It's a relatively flat drive.

We previously had a 32' motorhome and a VW Rialta, so we have a little experience with RVs, but none with towing.

But we know we need something bigger (the TV), especially with 4 big teenagers. Also, my partner is 6'1"-ish and I'm 5'0"...so I would love to drive something where I don't feel like a little kid in the driver's seat.

I've been kind of liking the idea of a Dodge Ram 2500 with 6.7 CTD, but I have no idea about the difference between all the different brands and especially all the detailed specs.

And of course, we need to buy used (having bought the AS, and the first kid starting college in the fall--with the others soon to follow)...so looking for something ideally under $25K. Of course, it will have to have a little more mileage /age for that price.

Any suggestions/thoughts would be appreciated and especially if there are any smaller people out there driving these big trucks, I would love to know your experience!

Thanks for sharing so much on these forums. It's an education!

Liz (& Jean-Georges)
I think your 2014 Sequoia will be up to the task. I seem to remember they share many components with the Tundra. We can chat further about what may work better for you, long-term, when we insstall your hitch and brake parts. After we get your brake controller and hitch set up, we'll go for a spin around the block to make sure everything works, and there are no unforeseen glitches.
Be prepared for BOTH of you to get a towing tutorial, as well as a test drive.

There will be a quiz at the end.
Old 12-18-2018, 04:12 PM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Did y'all make it home in one piece?
Old 12-18-2018, 05:16 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Chapel Hill , NC
We made it!

We took the route you suggested; avoiding the melted bridge on the alternate route. Everything went well and we even managed to back into the driveway (note how I say "we"...it was really JG!)

Thanks for all your help today (and thanks to Taylor!) in getting oriented to our new Globetrotter. We can't wait for our adventure in Asheville next week!

Still in awe that you had a long, long trailer signed by Desi and Lucy!!!

Liz & JG
bakerliz is offline   Reply With Quote