Old 12-27-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

I softened the ride on my 25 Safari in a noticeable amount by changing its tires to P 235 75 R 15 XL Michelin's.
Inflation on my old tires ST load range E was 70 psi and on the new ones it is 50. The Michelins are a more flexible tire.
With my old tires over whoop de doos and rough road sections, my rig (tow vehicle 2000 diesel Excursion with new shocks) would hobby horse. There is none of that with new tires.
The Michelins are load rated for over 2000 pounds a tire enough capacity for your triple axle trailer.
Before you trade tow vehicles or spend lots of money for air rides ect, try cheaper solutions first.
The ride of a stiffly sprung truck can be softened by putting a load in the bed. A heavy truck will burn more fuel, but this is chump change compared to the cost of a new tow vehicle.
Newer Airstreams are tough. I towed mine with the old tires lots of miles (many in Mexico where the roads are really rough) with no frame problems or other damage except for the usual pulled screws in the cabinets.

Old 12-27-2011, 10:11 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
We have the Airsafe hitch and like it. Around 10K miles, and I can tell it makes a difference. The contents of the trailer move around at lot less than without the Airsafe.

I use the standard Reese dual cam, and have no issues with distribution or sway.

As mentioned in a post above, tire pressure can make some difference. Knowing the axle weights of your rig is important. Keep in mind, if the weight on the tires is less than the maximum rating, the maximum air pressure is not required. See your tire dealer or search the web and find the correct pressure for the weight you are loading the tires with.

I don’t think I would trade the truck simply for the sake of the trailer, but if there were other factors to consider…….

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:04 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Springfield , Virginia
AirSafe hitch is way to go

I have an F350 dually. The AirSafe hitch breaks the harshness of the tow. Had the hitch over a year; no popped rivits or other issues since I've been using the hitch. I also use a Reese Dual Cam weight distribution system with 800lb bars.
Old 12-27-2011, 01:34 PM   #18
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
You want overkill? Here's overkill.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdalrymple View Post
We have the Airsafe hitch and like it. Around 10K miles, and I can tell it makes a difference. The contents of the trailer move around at lot less than without the Airsafe.

I use the standard Reese dual cam, and have no issues with distribution or sway.

As mentioned in a post above, tire pressure can make some difference. Knowing the axle weights of your rig is important. Keep in mind, if the weight on the tires is less than the maximum rating, the maximum air pressure is not required. See your tire dealer or search the web and find the correct pressure for the weight you are loading the tires with.

I don’t think I would trade the truck simply for the sake of the trailer, but if there were other factors to consider…….

X2 on everything said above. Even down to the amount of miles on my Airsafe and I tow a 27FB with a Chevy 3500 Dually.
Old 12-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snedwid View Post
For those using the "Airsafe" system: Do you also have a weight distribution and or sway control?
Yes and yes. But not all models will take a WD hitch. My Airsafe is a type V to which my WD hitch is directly mounted.

Another point on an Airsafe type hitch. The Airsafe also makes the spring bar rating of a WD less critical. My WD Husky has 1000# bars which would be to stiff for my 500# tongue weight otherwise.