Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Another option you might want to consider is Jason made in Elkhart, IN

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2017, 06:23 PM   #22
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
We have a "top-of-the-line" ARE cap that matches the color of our truck. We like it overall, but are annoyed by a few things:
  • The brake light on the top-rear of the cap is leaking water into the fixture, and into the inside of the capped area.
  • We had to replace the remote lock/latch lever because the spring inside it just gave out for no reason. Again, should not have happened.
  • We had to replace the rubber gaskets around the rear opening because the power cable for the remote lock came lose and got jammed between the gasket and the window. Before we realized what had happened, it had ruined the gasket and that allowed water to leak in.
So, next time (if there is one) we will definitely be looking at other brands.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:10 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

1991 34' Excella
Kewadin , Michigan
TV Bed caps - A.R.E.

I may not be as particular as some about all the details on construction/manufacturing of bed caps but will offer my opinion on those caps I have used. I think all have pros and cons just depends on the user.

Our first couple of caps were aluminum and worked fine for our needs. Later we had a Leer (liked the side tilting windows for access to side of bed. Our latest TV has a A.R.E. with the "Walk In Door" feature. It is kind of like turning your truck into a hatch back because the rear component replaces your tail gate and opens to expose the entire back of the truck for access. It also has a smaller door if all you want is quick access to grab something.

These days you can probably order any component you want for a cap and if I had it to do over I would get tilting side windows and the walk in rear door. Because for all the convenience of having a cap on your TV to keep things out of the weather it also limits access so more versatile openings is a bonus.

Maybe Leer offers a similar website but if you go to the ARE website you can
see what is available, build your own and see the finished product. Kinda cool. Below is the A.R.E. link to the Walk in Door model.

http://www.4are.com/product/walkin/
Silver Burrito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:29 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by A W Warn View Post
I have had an A.R.E. on my last 4 trucks. If I were going to get another one tomorrow, it would be another A.R.E.
Same for me, I have had 3 A.R.E caps over the years, and my next one will be an A.R.E. as well.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:44 PM   #25
potential full-timer

Currently Looking...
Carolinas , Carolinas
I need a little insight into what seems like the strange secret culture of truck topper sales.

I have never had to work so hard to buy something. Based on what friends who have gone through complex family planning have told me, adoption seems simpler than getting someone to sell you a truck bed topper.

I contacted the local LEER dealer, and the guy was really condescending over the phone, then never emailed me the information or order form like he said he would. So, I went to ARE, which is the general forum consensus pick anyway.

ARE has been even harder to deal with. The website is a confusing jumble that makes it difficult to decipher the minute differences between dozens of models. You can fill out a form to request a quote, but have to check specific characteristics you want without much explanation of what all of them are. I got a one-day response from a local dealer with a $ quote, but when I wrote him back asking for further help choosing a model--nothing. And what we are asking for is not hard or unique.

Checked ARE's corporate site again, and there is no way to contact them. No phone number, no email, nothing. There is a form to fill out if a dealer won't help you, but the form has a bug in it, because I tried three different times and it wouldn't submit.

I really wanted a truck cap, but this process is bullshirt.

How the heck do you get someone to actually sell you the topper? For 33 years, whenever I want to buy something, I make sure I have the money, get an idea of what I want, a salesperson helps me figure out the exact right thing if I need help, I pay them they money, then I get the thing. Why are truck toppers harder? What am I missing?
RadioWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 10:08 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
I found my local dealer and went to see them. I found the online thing tiresome too, so I went down and looked in person.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 02:13 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I also went to the dealer, in Jacksonville, NC. Very nice people, very good experience. Answered all of my questions, placed the order. They handle multiple lines of tops, etc.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:44 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
I stood face to face with the nice lady in the shop. Had no problem at all.
Bobbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:03 AM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Asheville , North Carolina
I was also frustrated and spoke to their factory. My impression is they are as dysfunctional as the Airstream folks so you should feel right at home. Find a good local top guy and work their process. I found LEER similarly dismissive probably because they figured from the configuration, I was at the top end of their product line and in their experience it was a waste of time to quote me. Spoke to three ARE dealers and the one closest to home knew their stuff but I still had to wait until the owner had time to answer my questions. These are local family operations so you need to slow down a bit and wait. Will say it's worth the wait but the topper is usually a one-time purchase for the non-commercial crowd and its a fairly custom process.
AirstreamCSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:08 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
None of the topper manufacturers I looked at (ARE, Leer, Century) are set up for direct sales. Their systems are organized to protect dealers. I called a local dealer who was very helpful over the phone, but he suggested I come in to look at brochures and consider which brand and options to pick.

He was very helpful; he even talked me out of a couple of options I thought I wanted, and for good reason.

I ended up with a Century UltraSport and am very happy with it.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:11 PM   #31
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
My body color LEER looks no more deteriorated as when new in 2004.

That said, I have repaired brake light and replaced gasketing. Hardly a chore. It's nearly 13-years old. Truck has needed same.

Mines an 8' with no side glass.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:32 AM   #32
potential full-timer

Currently Looking...
Carolinas , Carolinas
Smile

Success! (At least, success paying a $400 deposit. I assume the cap will also be a success, though.)

We ended up with an ARE Z series. We had to wait a bit because the place does all kinds of car upgrades, but the sales guy was nice and clicked us through the options pretty quickly, answering questions when we had them. My husband thought the price was fair and we went for it.

Lesson learned: Some elements of the sales and manufacturing RV world, despite being as American as American gets, are operating on 1930's island time. Now that I have that information, I can relax a bit. I think part of my frustration was leftover from the sexist hell of being a woman buying a big-ass truck. Though I sometimes even knew more about specific models than the salesmen, I was not treated with respect. At one dealership, I wasn't even given the chance to test drive. Car sales isn't just stuck in another era, it's locked on another planet.

HUGE THANKS to everyone for sharing your help, insights, and experiences. Three weeks from now, we'll be camping!
RadioWagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:46 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
If you need extra keys for your A.R.E. topper, this EBAY seller can mail you keys for $6.45 delivered, precut to fit your topper. I just got 2 and they work like a champ. He has key codes from 0001 to 0020.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-A-R-E-Truc...vPD5o3oZtrmVvA
Old 06-27-2017, 07:47 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Yeah, well I ordered an A.R.E. and was told 2-2.5 weeks lead time. Now I am told 4 weeks. This may have an impact on my need to get to some scales and my next scheduled trip. What is so hard about meeting a delivery date?
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #35
3 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Unfortunately the ARE shell keys are pretty generic. My dealer gave me extra from a shoebox full of them. If you ever lose yours, just find someone with a cap in a parking lot and borrow their key.
dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:08 AM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Bartlett , Tennessee
Kind of like the 751 keys for RV's? EVERYBODY has his outside storage locked with 751 keys, and they are all EXACTLY the same. My RV dealer has a BIG jar of 751 keys by the register for about $1 each. Even my new Airstream has one storage compartment, and it is locked with a 751 key.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:00 AM   #37
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went whole hog with my ARE Z on my 2015 Ram 2500. Got the Yakima racks, lined interior, LED strip light, folding front window. Added the full Bedrug too. The silver color is a perfect match and so far after almost two years its still looking good despite being parked outside all the time.

Kelvin
Old 06-30-2017, 01:54 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Milford , Ohio
Years ago I had a Ford Ranger and bought an aluminum cap for it, made by Astro. I don't think that brand is around any more.

I was playing with local bands at the time and needed to haul my equipment around, keeping it out of the weather and reasonably secure. For that the aluminum cap was great. Also lightweight so that myself and my girlfriend (now my wife) could easily remove it for those rare times I needed to haul something large.

When I bought my F250 I had thought about getting a fiberglass cap for it, such as a Leer or A.R.E. While the aluminum cap served me well on the Ranger, I will admit that fiberglass caps just have a cleaner look. Anyway, I knew they weighed a lot and it would probably take more than two people to remove it and that was the deal-breaker.

I went with a vinyl tonneau cover, the kind that snaps to rails that clamp on the bed. Not sure of the brand. I also have a diamond plate tool box in the bed, the low profile kind that mounts on the floor of the bed and with the cover on is completely out of sight.

That cover is 17 years old now and is looking a little rough. I have had to replace most of the snaps over the last few years, which is actually easy enough, but I plan on getting another cover soon.

All my camping stuff can be hauled out of the weather and secure in the sense that it is out of sight so less likely to be stolen, while the valuable stuff is locked in the tool box. Unsnaps and rolls up easily for hauling big stuff. Not playing out in bars much any more, but when I have the occasional gig everything fits under that tonneau cover as well.

Oh, did I mention that tonneau cover cost MUCH less than a fiberglass cap?

Its a camper, therefore it leaks.
blickcd is offline   Reply With Quote