Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
TV...2004 Land Cruiser????

Hi All...just on the front end of learning about AS's as well as what it take to tow them. I currently have a 2004 Toyota Land Crusier that has a towing capacity of 6,500#...with a modest V-8. ( I told my wife we should have bought the Suburban!)

What could I tow with that vehicle w/o taking the plunge to a new monster TV?

What about if I only did modest trips 100-200 miles for a year of "do you like it?" type experience?

Is ther any aftermarket add-ons that can help? Would a Hensley hitch make is "safer" to push the envelpoe "a bit"?

Would it be a sin to try say a 25' or 28' Safari? GVWR about 7K.

Thanks...Tom R in Northern Minnesota

P.S. With no weight restrictions probably would be looking at maybe a little longer Classic Unlimited.
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Hey Tom it's me again,
The correct tow vehicle is a tough question. We towed our 34 with a 1500 Chev with a 350 for a short time. It got us where we were going but it was real hard to tell which end was in charge, the truck or the trailer. I would never recommend anyone go over the manufacturers suggested limits. The Hensley hitch is a wonderful thing but it won't be any safer if you are over the limit. It may feel better but it won't be safer. Are you thinking a new trailer or a preowned unit. some of the older trailers are much lighter than their modern counterparts. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 08:49 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Toyota vs Suburban

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
Hi All...just on the front end of learning about AS's as well as what it take to tow them. I currently have a 2004 Toyota Land Crusier that has a towing capacity of 6,500#...with a modest V-8. ( I told my wife we should have bought the Suburban!)

What could I tow with that vehicle w/o taking the plunge to a new monster TV?
If you go newer I would check the weight and go 80% of total towing capacity.
The fancier units cost more and weigh more, stuff=weight.
The more vintage (older) units are lighter.
People stuff, food, beer, clothes, water, poopies in the tanks all weigh you down.
I am sick of GM products and multiple repairs and long for another Toyota.
What do you want?
R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:02 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Hi Brad and Fastrob...I guess what would make the most sense would be to shop for a "bit" older AS...maybe would be a little lighter. I also though if I only traveled locally...say MN and UP (of Michigan) for a year...might "squeeze by" for awhile before selling the Land Cruiser.

Sorry Fastrob...my wished for vehicle would be a 2500 Suburban with the Duramax...but alas...would have to be a Silverado since not available with the Suburban...plus...for 2007...no more 8.1 gas in the Suburban.

King of reluctant to go to a Supercab w/four real doors...but that appears the "popular" choice right now.

BTW...is a five year old any lighter than a comparable new AS?

Thanks...TomR in Northern Minnesota

P.S. Any real quality dealers in the upper midwest?...TMR
Old 08-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 25' Tradewind
. , Maine to Arizona
Check this Site

Trailer weights are posted at this site: http://www.airstream.com/airstream/p.../weights-1.pdf
Duramax sounds great.
Good luck.

R
fastrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1999 34' Limited
1962 19' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Northern , Minnesota
Tom,
In 1996 AS went to the wide body and the weight went up. If you go to the Airstream.com site and use the search feature type in trailer weights. You will have to follow a few links but you can find the weights of almost every AS made. Shorewood RV in Anoka is a AS dealer but they don't know much about them. Bill Thomas camper sales in St. Louis is a great dealer and they know Aorstreams. Shorewood had 5 or 6 in stock last week so it might be a good place to get started. Once your in Anoka you might as well head up Hwy 10 to the Airstream Park in Clear Water. There are 125 trailers there of all ages. Have fun. Brad
Bradjun1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Land Cruiser Carry Caoacity Update

2004 Land Cruiser GVWR 6860#

Front Axle 3595# @ 29PSI
Rear Axle 4220# @ 32PSI

6500# trailer carry capacity.

Hitch says 6500#...but I would guess that could be increased w/o too much expense?

Tires are P275 60R 111H M&S 2403# ea@ maximum air pressure of 44#...the tires seem to have excess carry capacity.

Total tire capacity...@ max PSI= 9612#

Am I way off base in thinking that I could "reasonably" tow a 7000#-7500# GVWR Airstream...maybe 8000#...at least for an initial year of "local" 100-200 mile trips...with a quality equalizing hitch? I could also work hard to keep the AS weight near UVW by carrying a bit more in the truck and less in the AS.

My thought is that if all went well we might like a heavier...ie longer Limited and could then get a heavier TV. Seems to me that my LC would be at LEAST as good as many of the TVs in use today?

OK...let me know that it is not "recomended"...but is it "reasonable".

Thanks...Tom R
Old 08-31-2006, 08:48 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Hello, Tom. I can only speak from our experience. As much as we loved our LC's ('96 and '99), we sadly gave them up after two different towing experiences. At that time, we were towing our SOB 25' Caravan. We felt we had no margin for error. In a head wind, we crawled. On hills/mountains, we crawled going up and felt the trailer was the boss going down--a BAD feeling! Among other things, the short wheel base is a problem towing.The '99 was not much improved. We kept hoping that Toyota would build a powerful tow-worthy vehicle, putting a stronger system in the LC or Tundra, but we finally went for the Silverado 2500 diesel and have felt powered and in control ever since with the much longer and heavier AS. I miss our LC every day, but I'll give that up for security when we travel. Just our opinion-Georgia PS, perhaps you might try an older, smaller, light-weight AS if you can find one in travel and camp ready condition to try your Land Cruiser. Then wheelbase and power should not be such a factor.
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 08:58 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks Georgia...maybe I will only tow to the Two Harbors and/or Grand Marais campgrounds! Make SURE you let me know if you do your North Shore trip...my wife and I would love to meet you and tour your AS...have not seen many yet...just a couple of "no option" shorter ones at the Anoka dealer. Thanks...Tom R 218-525-2695
Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #10
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR
2004 Land Cruiser GVWR 6860#

Front Axle 3595# @ 29PSI
Rear Axle 4220# @ 32PSI

6500# trailer carry capacity.

Hitch says 6500#...but I would guess that could be increased w/o too much expense?

Tires are P275 60R 111H M&S 2403# ea@ maximum air pressure of 44#...the tires seem to have excess carry capacity.

Total tire capacity...@ max PSI= 9612#

Am I way off base in thinking that I could "reasonably" tow a 7000#-7500# GVWR Airstream...maybe 8000#...at least for an initial year of "local" 100-200 mile trips...with a quality equalizing hitch? I could also work hard to keep the AS weight near UVW by carrying a bit more in the truck and less in the AS.

My thought is that if all went well we might like a heavier...ie longer Limited and could then get a heavier TV. Seems to me that my LC would be at LEAST as good as many of the TVs in use today?

OK...let me know that it is not "recomended"...but is it "reasonable".

Thanks...Tom R
I don't think anyone here would advocate you tow beyond the vehicles rated capacity.
Having said that, if I had to tow with a marginal TV (TV versus load. I would not willingly tow beyond a vehicles rating-ever!) I would choose an under powered long wheel base, rather than a short wheelbase vehicle with sufficient power.I am not saying the Toyota is a marginal vehicle-I don't want to start that war again. It is however, marginal for the type of loads you are considering.
Your Toyota may have sufficient power, it does not have sufficient wheelbase.
There are stories of people hooking up inappropriate TV's and crashing on the way home from the dealer because the tail was wagging the dog. We are trying to prevent you doing the same. I think you need to reconsider your plans.
Get an old pickup and tow with that for a year-you'd be better off.
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:18 AM   #11
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
Tom, you've gotta keep a couple of things in mind, here. that 6500lb limit applies when you've got an absolutely empty tow vehicle. It may allow for a 150lb driver and a tank of gas...depends on the manufacturer. but you can only get that whole 6500 when the tv has nothing in it. Whatever you put in the tv has to be subtracted from the max trailer weight. Once you consider that, the realistic max tow weight is much less.

time, distance, weight distribution or sway control have no affect on this limitation.

Also, I've noticed while "window shopping" new trailers, they seem to have a very narrow margin between their published curb weights, and their gvw's. They may not all be like that, but I've noticed some that have a 7-800lb capacity. enough to make me go . I don't see how you can possibly stay within the factory's published specs when you start adding up the weight of typical "stuff" that isn't included in the curb weight number, like "air conditioners" (which they all have), full propane/water tanks, spare tires...leaving you room for a couple of hundred pounds of camping stuff...anyway, the point is, on newer trailers, that "gvw" on the trailer is probably pretty close to the actual weight when its loaded, compared to a vintage trailer, which often had much wider margin between their curb weights and gvw. My old '73 has a 2000lb useful load. it would take effort to pack that much stuff. But I could get away with a tow vehicle that has a lower tow capacity than the trailer's published gvw by packing light.

I would say that you should stick with a 70's vintage or earlier trailer if you're stuck on that particular tow vehicle. OR, if you're a big fan of Japaneese SUV's, trade that 'yoda in for a Nissan Armada, and you'll be able to tow all but the largest late model Airstreams.
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 09:26 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Two Harbors , Minnesota
Thanks...Bill, Chuck and Georgia...I will work on Plan B! Maybe a nice used 2500HD Duramax!...Tom R
Old 08-31-2006, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Toy wont do it.

Tom,

Although it looks like you may have already gotten the message, I will add some experience to the final. We have a 06 Safari 25FB/SE, grooss weight at 7300 lbs (loaded). Had the same concept as your original. We tried towing with our Lexus GX470, 6500 lbs tow capacity, more HP and torque than your LC, and about 2 inches less wheelbase. It didnt even feel safe at 55 mph with the AS empty at 5700 lbs. The LC is OK for a 20' AS or less, or possibly an older, lighter, 25, but the real problem is the wheelbase and the high center of gravity. I also agree with the majority, the 80% rule of thumb for a margin of safety is the way to go on all of the limits/capacities.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote