Old 08-04-2011, 02:11 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Turning radius

I am going to put my 27' Overlander on my property in the hill country. To do so I need to cut a road about 200 yards long through some thick brush and cedar trees. I don't want to cut anymore than necessary. F150 is about 20' plus the AS and hitch about another 30'. So here's my question: How wide a swath do I need to cut through the brush and what is the minimum radius to turn?

Old 08-04-2011, 02:45 PM   #2
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
With care taken while driving, a road that is relatively straight can be as narrow as 9' at the roadway with a clear area free of obstructions around 12' wide. Maybe a little wider if the road surface is uneven as bumps will move the top of the trailer from side to side.

With sharp turns the trailer will track to the inside of the truck's path by as much as 6 or 8 feet, so a wider roadway and more clearance becomes necessary.

The turning radius will depend on the hitch you have and the clearance in the vicinity of the tongue and on the rear of the truck. If you use an extended shank and can get away with no WD or sway control for the last 200 yards of your drive you can turn as tight as the truck although the trailer will swing far to the inside when you do this.

If you're in hill country you also have to watch the approach and departure angles as those will pose as much of a problem as the turn radius. Disconnecting the WD may make the trailers performance in this area worse as you will lose ground clearance towards the front of the trailer.

Old 08-04-2011, 02:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you back in, you won't have to turn once you get the trailer placed where you want it. If you don't want to do that and want to leave the trailer there forever, then you just need enough space to get the truck backed around it. Or, you can cut a circle for the turn around but leave trees in the middle. You should wrap the trailer in some sort of protection to keep brush and trees from scratching it.

Gene
Old 08-04-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Do you have access to a bobcat? They are great for trailers + woods

Ours had a hole in the bucket for a tow ball
Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:31 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
San Antonio , Texas
Bobcat

Darkspeed....I was planning to rent a bobcat for some of the clearing. I had not thought of using it to tow the AS in the tight places. That's a good idea.

Jammer....There are a couple of hills to contend with. That is another concern that the tail end doesn't drag.
Old 08-04-2011, 05:45 PM   #6
Aluminum Falcon Mechanic

1972 31' Sovereign
Wesley chapel , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green68
Darkspeed....I was planning to rent a bobcat for some of the clearing. I had not thought of using it to tow the AS in the tight places. That's a good idea.

Jammer....There are a couple of hills to contend with. That is another concern that the tail end doesn't drag.
If you put the ball on the front of the cat you can push your AS into position

You can raise and lower your bucket to tilt your AS As well

Darkspeed is offline   Reply With Quote