Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-09-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Turbo Flutter??

Well, I've made it to Petaluma. The last several days I've noticed a sound, seeming to come from the engine compartment, that sound like something vibrating [think kazoo]. The noise changes pitch to match a gear change, and will stop while idling. See thread "Off to see the ocean."

It's at the Ford dealership now. They called and said I need a new fuel pump due to contaminated fuel - dirty fuel not covered by warranty. Then they said that the noise I was hearing was "Turbo Flutter" and that it is normal. I asked them why it took over 57k miles for it to happen. I told them to change the fuel pump, and then to please try to recreate the sound. If they insist it's Turbo Flutter they are going to have to let me hear it before I'll agree.

Would someone here please describe Turbo Flutter.

_____Tom

'05 Excursion 4x4, 6.0 PSD, magnaflow, helwig anti-sway, air lift springs.
Stream 1529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 12:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet "Flutter" is a New One to Me

The noise associated with my big-block Plymouth's (non stock) turbo was a whine like a jet spooling down. Every time "Back in the USSR" came on the radio, my eyes would shoot to the boost gauge.
Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Yes, the Ford diesel does suffer from what is called "Turbo Farts". It is common to hear this if you are under hard acceleration and quickly come off the throttle. If this is the condition it is normal. If you hear the noise at other times it could be an indication of carbon buildup in the turbo. However if you tow and drive the truck under load more than just around town you should not have carbon build up.

How often do you change your fuel filters? They should be changed every 15,000 miles. The new diesels are very sensitive to fuel quality and require strong filtration.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:26 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE View Post
Yes, the Ford diesel does suffer from what is called "Turbo Farts". It is common to hear this if you are under hard acceleration and quickly come off the throttle. If this is the condition it is normal. If you hear the noise at other times it could be an indication of carbon buildup in the turbo. However if you tow and drive the truck under load more than just around town you should not have carbon build up.

How often do you change your fuel filters? They should be changed every 15,000 miles. The new diesels are very sensitive to fuel quality and require strong filtration.
This noise generally goes away when the accelerator is released and tow/haul is not engaged. While running it is a constant noise that will change pitch as the transmission shifts. The noise has just started during the last 600 or so miles of our trip while towing the trailer. Now it happens whether towing or not.

I change my fuel filters every 15k miles, but did it at 55k this time because of the trip.

_____Tom

Old 07-09-2008, 01:33 PM   #5
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stream 1529 View Post
... Turbo Flutter....
hi tom

i don't pretend to be a wrench guy but do have a ford...

the exc' in question is a 6.0 which has a 'variable vane' turbo...

basically this means the turbo blades can vary position during operation and as boost pressure changes...

so it is common for the pitch/tone of the turbo sound to change, like u describe.

also the sound will change if the boost pressure rises TOO MUCH and the popoff/bypass valve engages...

the kazoo and whistle sound are a good way to describe these noises...

fuel filters (both of them) on THIS model were meant to be changed at 15-20k but under severe duty (like towing) more frequently....

and IF u use biod occasionally the filters also need more frequent changes...

the NEW powerstrokes (08 up) have a 10k fuel filter interval...

i've found that the BEST PLACE to ask powerstroke questions is in the yahoo group dedicated to them...

yahoo powerstroke group...

the master mechanic who answers most of the questions there is AMAZINGLY skillful at sorting out issues online...

and has helped me several times, so far he's batting 1000 with my truck.

he also has a GREAT website on the powerstroke, not a lotta forum bull or tuner nonsense, just reliable, easy to understand details....

dieselmann's Page

IF you ask your question on the yahoo group,

within hours someone will provide a much better explanation than mine...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Your second description does not sound good. Here is a result from one of the Ford forums on Turbo Farts. It also goes into more serious turbo problems.

Diesel Forum - The Diesel Stop.com - Search Results

Has anyone read the codes?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:26 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Your second description does not sound good. Here is a result from one of the Ford forums on Turbo Farts. It also goes into more serious turbo problems.

Has anyone read the codes?
They said the diagnostics indicated a bad fuel pump which they are replacing. Noting said about the turbo on the diagnostic.

Old 07-09-2008, 02:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Please post the results as soon as you get the truck back.

Are you driving with any gages, EGT, Boost, Oil Temp?

Old 07-09-2008, 02:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1999 27' Safari
Kent , Ohio
I am intrested in the results also. I have never heard of that terminolgy . It is almost always bearings going bad. For instance if you dont let the turbo cool before you turn your engine off. Idle for 3 min is all it takes. When it gets real bad it will remind you of a table saw cutting plywood. Also from exhaust temps exceeding 1200 degrees max I always drop a gear over 750 degrees.
mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 04:03 PM   #10
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowieE
"sorry, no matches. Please try again..."
Old 07-09-2008, 04:12 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
"sorry, no matches. Please try again..."
Lets try again

I tried it after the post and it worked. Edited in this comment.

Old 07-09-2008, 04:28 PM   #12
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Lets try again

I tried it after the post and it worked. Edited in this comment.
Mucho betterer...
Old 07-09-2008, 09:53 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Please post the results as soon as you get the truck back.

Are you driving with any gages, EGT, Boost, Oil Temp?
Just factory gauges, and they've never run hot.

Got it back. The diesel guy said that he took it on the road, and said that he thinks he heard what I was hearing. He said it was not the turbo at all. Not sure, but he feels its the exhaust, but since it's not factory he can't touch it. He said, and I agree, the sound was a vibration type of sound. My only problem is why does the sound change pitch with a transmission down shift.

Bottom line is they couldn't really say what it was, but they could say what it wasn't. I need to look at this as a glass half full because I'm not even half way into my trip. Next major town en route is Portland, so I can always throw some more money at another dealership.

____Tom

Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 PM   #14
_

. , .
the fan can also add a sound along to the turbo noise or the waste gate release....

i've 'felt' this vibration like noise kick in and out too, sometimes related to shifts or long UP hills at speed...

unless there is something mechanical that is loose and rattling don't sweat it....

if this noise u feel/hear were significant it would have thrown some error codes and/or cause some temporary loss of power...

when the high pressure injector pump failed on my truck, there are a brief minute or 2 of 40 mph (limp mode)...

then she just DIED dead...

only to be saved by a new pump...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 09:36 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2004 34' Classic S/O
San Antonio , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman View Post
the fan can also add a sound along to the turbo noise or the waste gate release....

i've 'felt' this vibration like noise kick in and out too, sometimes related to shifts or long UP hills at speed...

unless there is something mechanical that is loose and rattling don't sweat it....

if this noise u feel/hear were significant it would have thrown some error codes and/or cause some temporary loss of power...

when the high pressure injector pump failed on my truck, there are a brief minute or 2 of 40 mph (limp mode)...

then she just DIED dead...

only to be saved by a new pump...

cheers
2air'
Thanks 2air, and everyone else as well. I'm glad you agree with me about not borrowing trouble. I'll worry at the appropriate time