Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
This is great info. I should do very well considering the size of the rigs some of you are towing with the Tundra. It's only a 19 Intl. Sig.

Just got off the phone with the seller and we will be picking it up on Friday. Does not have a weight distribution hitch of any type, so we'll tow it home nice and easy.

Seller states they hauled it with a VW Tourag and never felt they needed a WDHitch.

Next quest will be to get a Hensley Swift Cub or like unit.

Thoughts?

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
I started to haul my unit home w/o sway bars and after only a few miles realized what an idiot I was. I stopped at the first Campers world I came to and bought bars and installed them so I could get home. Got the (you know what) scared out of me a couple of times, especially having a Tractor Trailer flying past me on I-95. I ordered my Hensley Arrow before we set out to go to Cape Cod in the fall and have put too many miles on both truck and Belle to count and haven't regretted the cost of the Hensley. I Hitch up, no drop on the trailer front and none on the truck's back end or any change on the front end. Both units, hitched up, are plumb level.
This is just my experience and others may have had different experiences. I can only give you mine.

WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 01:29 PM   #17
Tao
3 Rivet Member

2013 19' International
Currently Looking...
Chapel Hill , North Carolina
Dang, I'm hoping a 19 will be a bit more forgiving that your Luxury Liner!
But my travels will all be in 95 the 85 back to Chapel Hill, NC, so the same
route that scared you --- I'll look for the "brown spots" on the pavement to
note where the truck passed you.
Old 02-10-2015, 01:37 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Stratford , Prince Edward Island
Send a message via Yahoo to macofpei Send a message via Skype™ to macofpei
We had a passenger with my wife and me and both ladies were kinda napping and when Belle slid over towards the big rig, and the bells and alarms started sounding in the truck, both women jumped and I white knuckled for a mile or so afterwards. In the defense to what happened, it was in a blizzard and the road speeds flashing lights were on to max 45, which I was traveling and the TT was doing at least 65 so it was a combo of my slower speed, icy road conditions and a loaded Big rig blowing past.
WBCCI #4782
"Southern Belle"
'03 Classic 30'
'10 Toyota CrewMax
macofpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 02:37 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a 2-wheel-drive Tundra and absolutely love it (see avatar and signature). It does a great job towing our Classic 30 and I love the limousine-sized back seat.
If I ever get another truck, I want the same truck all over again, but 4x4- not necessarily TRD- but I doubt I will ever get another truck. My Tundra is a 2007 with 45,000 miles.
The Tundra was my first Toyota. I always thought I wanted a Toyota and that Toyotas were top quality. The Tundra convinced me. I am now hard-core, true-blue, dyed-in-the-wool Toyota till I die- We bought a silver with black interior 2014 Toyota Avalon XLE last Monday. I really enjoy that car as much as I enjoy the Tundra.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 05:16 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2012 30' International
Dallas , Texas
I had a 2010 Tundra (2 wheel drive and crew cab) with TRD and towing package, and towed a 2010 International 27' with no problems. I loved the truck, and the only reason I traded it for a Ford F250 was that I wanted a 3/4 ton to pull the 30' International that we moved up to. Recently I got a ProPride hitch and have been very happy with it.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:54 PM   #21
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
San Luis Obispo , California
I have a 2015 Tundra TRDPro 4x4 and a 27' International. The Tundra tows beautifully with an Eaz-Lift weight distribution hitch and sway bar. I had to add air bags to lift the back end back up after hooking up because this particular model comes with a 2" leveling lift in the front making the back end sag easier than the standard models that have a natural downward slope. It would be impossible to tow without the WDH, the sag is way too much. This gives me the best of both worlds...a great off roading truck and a great tow vehicle.

I've also been very impressed by the smooth transmission and downhill assist when using the tow/haul mode.

On average towing a 27' I get about 10-11mpg.
Old 02-10-2015, 05:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vero Beach , Florida
We pull our 25' EB with a 2014 Tundra 5.7 Crewmax 4x4. Love it. The EB has 16" wheels and Michelin LT tires. I drive up to 70 on interstates when clear weather and traffic allow. We have been up and down the steepest points the Eastern US has to offer. Never a complaint or hesitation from the Tundra. Yellowstone this summer will offer a new test but I'm confident in the Tundra/AS combination.

I had two Tacomas before the Tundra. Both had the TRD package, which my Tundra does not. I chose not to get a TRD Tundra mostly because of the highway noise from the more aggressive tires the TRD comes with. Aside from that, the 4x4 Tundra and the 4x4 TRD Tacomas were not that dissimilar to drive.

Regarding mileage, I get 10.0 mpg at highway speed with the Tundra when the AS is attached. The Tundra mileage with the 5.7 drops significantly when driving at 70 as compared to 55. I believe I would get 12-13 with the AS at 55 for prolonged periods on level ground.

My 2014 Tundra owners manual stipulates that a weight distributing and sway control hitch is required (not recommended... required) for trailers with a trailer weight over 4,000 lbs.. We use an Equal-I-zer and are happy enough with that. Towing a larger AS without a WD/AS hitch violates the manufacturers requirement which means the driver becomes the weak link in the liability chain in the event of an accident. For the hundreds of dollars involved in the WD/AS hitch it's not worth the risk for me. The Tundra has a headlight adjustment feature on the instrument panel that allows compensation for the effect of undistributed tongue weight... but I don't need to use it since the hitch brings the truck back close enough to level even with the 800+ lbs from the AS on the hitch.
Old 02-11-2015, 10:29 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Hitch? Equalizer with 10K bars. No trouble what so ever.

Mileage? Between 10 and 13. I try real hard to stay between 60 and 65 for safety and economy. Got 17 once on a long leg heading north into Colorado with a HUGE tailwind. Now I am averaging right at 11 but I used to average 12 until I added the Fiamma bike rack to the back of the trailer. Yes, it did make a difference. Must have changed the aerodynamics.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:39 AM   #24
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
i had a 2010 tundra extended cab with captains chairs, very comfortable for travelling but the rear seating was a joke. bought a 2014 tundra but this time crew cab, very short truck bed. tons of room in the back but the front seating was quite uncomfortable, 200 miles max. both trucks required air bags in the rear as the truck would squat noticeably. suspension on both felt more SUV like than truck like making towing not what i was looking for. both 4 x 4 with TRD and off road packages.

glad to see some honest reporting of mileage numbers as the best i ever did, not towing, was 17 and towing would normally get me 9-10 mpg. i never exceed 65 on the highways and most often travel roadways that are 55 posted.

i found the transmissions on both truck would hunt for the right gearing with even slight elevation changes in the roadway telling me the torque curve was not up to snuff. but all of that said, i can see why folks really like these 'trucks' as the ride is more SUV like than truck like.

back to a Ford F350 which is a truck
Old 02-11-2015, 12:31 PM   #25
gpt
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
sequim , Washington
should have also mentioned that as a part of purchase deal on both trucks, the dealer replaced the 'P' rated tires with 'LT' rated tires before i drove off the lot.
Old 02-11-2015, 12:32 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I tend to tow more in 5th locking out the 6th gear and my mpg don't seem to suffer. At 60mph the rpms are close to 2000 vs about 1600 in 6th. Towing in 5th requires less foot pressure on the pedal and therefore the engine is using a little less gas to maintain the speed. I will use 6th when towing if the road is flat and there is little wind.

Kelvin
Old 02-11-2015, 01:23 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I tend to tow more in 5th locking out the 6th gear and my mpg don't seem to suffer. At 60mph the rpms are close to 2000 vs about 1600 in 6th. Towing in 5th requires less foot pressure on the pedal and therefore the engine is using a little less gas to maintain the speed. I will use 6th when towing if the road is flat and there is little wind.

Kelvin
That's just what I do too
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 12:35 PM   #28
1 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Sanford , North Carolina
All, glad to see there is some others using a trunda to tow. I own a 2013 Tundra double cab with Leer shell on the bed. Towed my 27 ft EB through the mountains of Boone, NC. Truck did awesome. Couldn't be happier. I utilized the manomatic the truck has to go up and down the hills. Also have a husky antisway hitch, which rocks! Sway bars allow you to back up and turn with ease as the bars move while mounted. In total we did about 10mpg on average. Thinking about some extra springs for the rear though. Just looking for some helpers is all. And if anyone is curious, an Airstream at 0 degrees still runs like a champ. No frozen pipes or anything.