Old 07-02-2011, 11:05 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Garfield Heights , Ohio
Tundra suspension issue

We purchased a 2011 16 Sport in May and are towing with a 02 Tundra SR5 Ext Cab 4.7L. Our previous SOB folding trailer was a single axle, but the hitch ball to axle measurement was much longer than the new Bambi. The truck has a set of Timbren SES rubber springs installed with a 1" gap (unloaded) per recommendation from Timbren. I originally also used a Valley WD hitch with 550lb bars. The SOB towed fine with this set-up. Later on I installed a set of Bilstein shocks in the rear. These shocks seem to have a much quicker rebound than the OEM's did. I then tried towing the SOB without the WD hitch. Everything was good. Now to the new set-up. I am using a ball mount with a 4" drop, no WD. The truck sags about 2" when I hitch up. Trailer is level but bounces excessively (porpoising) when riding on less than smooth pavement (slow and fast speeds). I have now installed an additional spacer for the Timbrens (no gap when unloaded). This added stiffness helps somewhat but I'm concerned about trailer frame stress. Is the porpoising just an inherant problem with short trailers? Would a WD set up deal with this issue better than the Timbrens? How and why? Trailer sway has been minimal with the Bambi but if a WD hitch will solve the problem, I would probably add SC too. Any light shed on these issues would sure be welcomed. Oh! We love the trailer otherwise!!!

Old 07-02-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
If the porpoising feels like its pivoting at the hitch ball, I'd sure give WD a try. I think your biggest chance of success lies there.

I've pulled a lot of shorter trailers and haven't noticed an inherent tendency to porpoise. But I've sure seen tow vehicle/trailer combos that did and it can be quite a battle with no guarantee of success.

Old 07-02-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I am no expert, but I think the WD hitch is exactly what you need. And maybe try taking the Tmbren's off to soften it up a little. I doubt if a Bambi has a whole lot of hitch weight. Maybe you need the extra springs if you carry a lot of weight? I use and like the Reese straight line hitch with the dual cam sway control. Do not much like the friction add on sway devices. And maybe look at how the trailer is loaded. More tongue weight and less weight behind the wheels is good.
Old 07-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Unless you have a tow vehicle with the rear suspension of a Sherman tank, all trailers will "propois" without a properly setup weight distribution hitch. The sway control will be essential to you some day also, but without it, the day will be a suprise.
Old 07-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

As others have already said...WD hitch with sway control and de-bag the bags when towing.(min pressure).

AS like soft (relative) TV suspension. Have you weighed yet, sounds like you need weight on the steering axle.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2011 16' Sport
Garfield Heights , Ohio
More thoughts and info

Thanks for the replies, but after posting my original thread, I thought about the following. My TV overhang ratio is over 45% (rear axle to hitch ball distance-divided by wheelbase). Not too good. The Bambi's overhang ratio is over 52% (axle to rear of trailer-divided by axle to hitch ball socket). I mention this because my previous trailer had a much lower overhang ratio and it did not porpoise nearly as much as our Sport 16. The TV was set up the same, that is with the Timbren SES (1" gap unloaded) no WD hitch. The Timbren springs are not airbags, but hollow progressive rubber. They take progressively more weight to compress them further. The only user adjustment is to move them closer or farther from the bump stop plates on the TV. As I said earlier, I have now spaced them so they are touching the stops unloaded. I can stand on the rear bumper and bounce up and down and initiate quite a lot of movement in the suspension, so it is not unreasonably stiff. (I'm only 150lbs.) The only theory I have is that a WD set up will stiffen the "flexing point" at the hitch ball rather than just limiting the movement of the ball by stiffening at the rear axle. Does this make sense? I hate to invest in WD if it doesn't solve the problem. Any towing/suspension EXPERTS out there?
Old 07-02-2011, 09:34 PM   #7
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
When you drop the tongue on the ball you are unloading the steering axle, the purpose of the WD is to transfer some of that weight back. Have you weighed the rig yet, be good to know the tongue weight.

If properly set up it will not "stiffen" the rear suspension.

I get about the same bounce whether hitched or not.

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote