Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-03-2004, 08:45 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Tundra Double Cab

Has anyone looked at this supersized Toyota truck? I recall from earlier discussions here that the original Tundra was considered borderline acceptable as a tow vehicle. I understand that this new version is larger, more powerful, and has a higher tow rating. Given Toyota's high build quality and reliability, and the Tundra's attractiveness, the Double Cab might be the vehicle of choice for those of us pulling medium-sized trailers.
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:28 AM   #2
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
yeah, the competition is heating up now that the Japaneese have gotten serious about full size trucks...which can only be a good thing. The original Tundra had similar numbers to my 1/2 ton dodge, but the back seat was a joke. no way an adult could fit back there at all...which is what crossed it off my list. I saw one of the new one's parked on the street the other day, and it looks like they've fixed that problem.
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tundra Double Cab

Greetings Don!

While the Toyota Tundra Double-Cab does have increased tow ratings, whether the increase is enough to tow a mid-sized Airstream may be questionable. The factory lists towing capacities for the 2-WD at 5,000 lbs. (SR5) and 6,800 lbs. (Limited); and for the 4-WD at 4,700 lbs. (SR5) and 6,500 lbs. (Limited). For those who prefer to maintain a 15% to 20% towing capacity reserve, that leaves a capacity of 4,000 lbs. (2-WD/SR5), 5,440 lbs. (2-WD/Limited); or 3,760 lbs. (4-WD/SR5), 5,200 lbs. (4-WD/Limited) - - allowing for a 20% reserve capacity.

Allowing for a 20% reserve, in Vintage Coaches, this would place most Trade Winds (24'/25') near the upper end of the range, and Overlanders (26'/27') would be in excess (my '64 Overlander has a loaded weight of from 6,000 to 6,100 pounds). With the more recent coaches, the 22' models would likely be pushing the upper limits.

The specifications for the Tundra Double-Cab can be found at:

Toyota Tundra Double Cab

I will admit to being quite conservative with my tow vehicle. My goal is to maintain at least a 20% reserve after having less than ideal experiences with two tow vehicles that were working within 200 pounds of their maximum rating ('95 K1500 Chevrolet Z-71 and 1983 GMC G20 Vandura). One of the reasons that my Cadillac sees VERY LIMITED towing with the Overlander is that its tow rating is maxed-out with the Overlander while the Minuet is just a little over 53% of the rated capacity for the car - - the Overlander represents 61% of the rated tow capacity on the Suburban.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 10:17 AM   #4
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
gee, that's actually pretty lame. I thought the old one's were rated for more than 7k. Oh, well. the gcvw is pretty low, too...
Old 03-03-2004, 07:12 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Tundras have been available in extended cab. The new club cab did extend the frame. Numbers are a little different but I don't know that they changed anything in the drive train -- it always has been a 7/8ths size half ton -- in capacity too!

Look for a real change when the San Antonio plant comes on line -- might be 2006 or later. Those are supposed to be full-size half ton trucks -- like Chev, Dodge, Ford & Nissan Titan. I seem to remember speculation that the southern Illinois plant will convert over after San Antone comes on line.

I've heard neither Nissan nor Toyota are currently looking at 3/4-ton or larger -- though the possibility is bantered about. And Honda has announced vague plans to produce a full size pickup...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2004, 11:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Just attended a Ford powerstroke promotion in Edinburg, Texas.

I had heard that Toyota's decision to build the new truck plant in San Antonio was partially based on the total number of trucks sold in Texas. The number I heard was 25% of US sales.

The Ford Dallas sales guy said that Oklahoma and Texas are grouped together when calculating sales by territory. He stated that the number was 24.3% of all trucks sold in the US are sold through the Dallas regional sales office.(Oklahoma & Texas)

Toyota must have done the same math.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 06:01 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Just in case we have to...

As mentioned we like the Dodge. And by their ad on their Web site - very good choice in their towable

Although a little lighter at 3390# - 390#TW...IF we were to change (still have to test existing TV out thoroughly!!- but when you do the numbers we- will have to pack frugelly - but then we are not into gennies and bring half the house - we boat in a cuddy the size of a goucho couch for 3 weeks at a time )

What are your opinions on the Dodge Dakota, and Dodge Ram (they would have to be the Quad Cabs to replace the functionality of the SUV - and it will be an "every other day- runner"

Just saw a used DD '03 - with a 5.9 V8 loaded 4X4 - it is a few K less on the sticker price to the value of ours right now so we have a few more KM's to put on the kia before we are into equal trade - but might get into a nice Dodge Ram Package '03 or '04.

Have read alot on the GMC and Fords on this forum - how about the Dodges?

Just planning ahead a bit - as I said just in case!!!

Please note that this photograph is "borrowed" under - "reasonable use" from the Doge Canada web site.

SPK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1500_home_pano.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	5033  
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 07:42 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Palm Bay , Florida
tundra

The 4x2 access cab v8 has a towing capacity of 7100lbs.

4x2 Tundra

The Good Sam Club Highways magazine published an article about safety for newbies. Here is a thread I started that discusses it. The Tundra was the vehicle that was used.
Good Sam Highways article
www.facebook.com/FloridaStateRally
WBCCI Florida Unit 027 Trustee
https://www.airstream-adventures.com/...rida_Unit.html
WBCCI #6782
31' 78 Airstream Excella 500
2001 Ford Excursion V-10
Reese hitch and dual cam sway control
startrekker2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Towing with a Tundra

I used my 2000 Toyota Tundra Limited to tow my '56 Bubble from Wanachee WA to it's new home in central CA. When I picked the AS up, it had no brakes. It must have been fairly light because it also had no tanks but it was all furnished. I wish now that I had weighed it - well anyway, that's a 17 ft trailer and I'm guessing in the 2500 - 3000 lb range at the most. The Tundra didn't even blink as far as the mountain passes, the icy road, and stopping ability but as I said, that's a small trailer. It will be interesting in the extreme to find out how it all goes together when I put the rebuild on the road - 3 holding tanks, thicker plywood floor, etc. Here's hoping.
Bottom line - the Tundra's a fine vehicle but it all needs to balance out - no sense in asking Arabians to pull a beer wagon. Let the Clydes do it.
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 08:55 AM   #10
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
Hey, look at that! they have an A/S in their ad! (or did someone photoshop that in there?)

GT: If you're partial to less than full-size vehicles, the Dodge Durango would be a great option, too. built on a Dakota chassis. The Dakotas are a little different than the other "less than full size" trucks/suvs, because they use the same powertrains as their full-size truck cousins. Durango's tow ratings are about the same as the 1/2 ton pickups. (I think in my year (2000), the durango's tow rating is about 200lbs less than my pickup. Of course, the new one's w/ the 5.7 hemi have a much higher tow rating than my 1/2 ton pickup.

Overall, I'd say I'm happy w/ my Dodge. My big complaints, though, are its crappy mileage, and its kind of underwhelming power when towing. It tows my small-ish trailer fine...but it doesn't like steep hills. unless, you hit the bottom of the hill at 65+. then it zooms right up the other side. but if you're going slower than that, it gets stuck behind the power curve real fast, and you wind up doing 40mph in 2nd gear. I think most of this is due to its 3:55 rear end. The guru's here would prefer a 3:73. (which, interestingly, is what the 5.9L durangos have...probably a better tow vehicle because of that). The older dodge 318/360 engines are known gas guzzlers, too...(probably why they fitted the 1/2 tons w/ the 3:55 rear ends, to dampen that effect) but they also have a reputation for durability and longevity.

When I bought the truck in 2000 (actually, the end of '99), it didn't take long to eliminate the others from the competition. the Chevy wasn't available w/ 4 doors yet. The F150 had a much smaller back seat, although it handled nicely, I didn't care for the driving position/view. just didn't feel as good as the Dodge. The toyota was brand new, on top of my previous comments. I didn't own a camper at the time, but was thinking about the "possibility" of buying one, so I wasn't paying real close attention to towing specifics; just wanted to make sure I had the factory tow package on whatever I bought.
Old 03-04-2004, 09:08 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Tundra milage

If I can keep the speed at 60 mph, my Tundra gets 20 mpgallon - no lie. NOT TOWING. I have checked this several times. Now in CA, the speed limit for a trailer trailer being towed is 55 mph. When I towed the trailer from WA at that speed, the milage dropped to about 14 mpgallon as I recall. No overdrive at that speed and towing so part of it is that. I think I could slip it into overdrive on level ground but I'd keep a close eye on the tach. That's with regular gas which we CA types are fortunate to be paying $2.19 for at this time. Yikes.
smallfry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2004, 03:40 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Hi Chuck;

Thanks for your insight - very much appreciated. No it really is in the ad - I just picked up all the info on their '04s - and the same picture is right in their brochure . I was tempted to switch it with a Vintage one - but might have ruffled a few "copyright" feathers there.

I was also about to ad me in there - as a nice camping trip like that would be really great about now.

Thanks again
SPK
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 07:47 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Danville , Indiana
Thanks to all

I appreciate all the discussion prompted by my original question. We've towed with Chevys from the very beginning, partly because my dad was a Chevy guy. Also, because we camp a lot in remote locations, we are more comfortable with a domestic unit that we can get repaired most anywhere if we run into trouble.

Our Chevys have worked well and reliably, so I haven't had much reason to consider Fords. Nor would I consider a Dodge. My mother-in-law owned two Chryslers in her later years which I was partly responsible for maintaining. Given that experience, I wouldn't get within ten feet of a Chrysler product without a cross and holy water in my possession.

I've been interested in the Tundra because of Toyota's legendary quality and reliability. This might balance out the relative scarcity of dealerships in remote parts of the county.

Also, I find the Tundra to be about the most attractive truck on the market. I'm very disappointed with the trend to give domestic full-size trucks phony macho styling.

Unfortunately, Nissan has joined in with its grossly ugly Armada. Conservative Chevrolet has been less prone to this trend, but its most recent update with the split-grill, squinty-eye front end has destroyed what was a reasonably attractive vehicle. I suspect that the Tahoe and Suburban will get the new front end this model year.

Which means, from my point of view, the only two attractive trucks left on the market will be the Tundra and the Ford Ranger. Now, if Toyota would only add some towing capacity to its Double Cab!
Don
donreitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:08 PM   #14
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
I just took my Bambi out last week for the first time with my 2004 Tundra extended cab with the towing package. It towed rather smoothly. I could feel the trailer behind me but was very comfortable with the combination of truck and trailer weight. I might be concerned if I was towing anything larger. ..... Just my two cents worth..
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:10 PM   #15
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
I just took my Bambi out last week for the first time with my 2004 Tundra extended cab with the towing package. It towed rather smoothly. I could feel the trailer behind me but was very comfortable with the combination if truck and trailer weight. I might be concerned if I was towing anything larger. ..... Just my two cents worth..
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2004, 01:31 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1996 28' Excella
Okemos , Michigan
Dodge Ram as a TV

GT:
I would heartily recommend the 2003/2004 Ram 1/2 Ton Quad-cab with the Hemi engine as a tow vehicle. Every truck owner has his own prejudices regarding brands. I was once burned by a poorly designed Ford Ranger, but that is another story.
The Hemi version has the new 5 speed tranny and it is smooth as silk. It seems to be a lot heavier truck than the previous generation and the 17" wheels with big disk brakes inspire confidence. Be sure to get the factory tow package with the four radiators. The only thing I am not looking forward to is changing 16 spark plugs.....
sander17 is offline   Reply With Quote