Old 10-25-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member
1990 34' Excella
Parsonsfield, , Maine
I almost hate to put my two cents into this arena. This is area open to so much dissagreement. I've only been towing 27', 29' 31' and 34' trailers since 1967. I don't know it all and probably no more than 1%. But in that time I have seen and heard of many accidents. Many happen with drivers on long runs, bored with the road and suddenly there's a problem in the road. Being suddenly awakened from inattention you triy to make a snap decision. Some decisions will be correct but only one needs to be wrong. I know some folks carefully calculate their loads and TV capacity and some play it right to the upper limit. I have always felt that something other than a 2ply, 4ply rated tire is essential insurance so the sidewalls don't give and contribute to a high speed slide into a jack knife. I prefer 8 ply or 10 ply tires. I also believe the frame strength of a three quarter ton truck gives assurance that the added weight and strength help to maintain stability in fast lane change manuvers. I've heard and seen some trailer damage on a couple Airstreams from too stiff a tow vehicle. But IMHO I will always go for the added assurance and not stretch a marginal vehicle into a possible disaster. That's not to say disasters will not happen if you go bigger. But they do add insurance. The larger heavier vehicles built today ride and handle very well. They are not at all like what were built in the 70's and earlier. I just completed a caravan around the Gaspe'. I traveled with a fellow in our group pulling a 25' with a Tundra. I was impressed with that vehicle. We went down one hill that was so steep I don't think you could walk up it. We broke over the top and my hood was in my way to see the road going down for a few seconds. I immediatelly shifted into 4th gear in my Allison. I occasionally hit my brakes in short spurts going down and was doing 80 at the bottom. The distance was about a mile down and then immediately the identical straight up again. The fellow with the Tundra was behind me and he never ran over me and he kept it on the road comfortably he said. He's been towing a few years more than me so I trust his judgment. Charlie E.

CharlieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #16
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Call your insurance agent and compare the rate quote of the Tundra to one each of similarly equipped trucks of other brands. That will tell you about the accident frequency per 1,000 vehicles (or something like that) of the Tundras.

AIR 2053 Current: 2006 Born Free 32 RQ Kodiak Chassis, & 1995 Coachmen B-van
Former Airstreams: 1953 Flying Cloud, 1957 Overlander, 1961 Bambi, 1970 Safari Special, 1978 Argosy Minuet, 1985 325 Moho, 1994 Limited 34' Two-door, 1994 B190 "B-Van"
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:06 PM   #17
Rivet Master
Corpus Christi , Texas
You gotta' love these discussions! Brings to mind a recent pic featured at the top of the "Latest Discussions" page. It was a picture from an 1985 Airstream brochure. The picture was of a Chevy Impala pulling a 34 foot triple axle Excella. No, load range E tires, no tow mode Allison, no Ford F150 bump rider, no SUPER diesel smell or breakdowns, not even a suspect puny Toyota Tundra. No, it was a Chevy Impala 4 door.
So Long!
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:26 AM   #18
Rivet Master
1968 30' Sovereign
1959 18' "Footer"
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Brussels , Wisconsin
I Like Mine

I have had my Tundra since August and have about 8,500 or so on it, most of those miles towing. I still like it and I traded, as some would say, down, from a 2004 2500 Suburban with the 8.1. No problems with weight and it will pull 10,800. You do have to keep an eye on the payload and pull with the right hitch, but heck so does everyone else.
Ed Emerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Hey, I own a Sequoia not a Tundra, It's a little different as it has an Independent rear end... It also only tows 9600 lbs.. But it works for me, And I feel totally safe pulling with it... The only white knuckling I have done is with my '75 3/4 ton Dodge... Man those brakes just don't like to stop loads fast....

You could start this thread for any truck or SUV... I've seen a few different trucks or SUV's on there side with the trailer.... 99.9% of the time it's driver error...

So we all drive with what we like or what we can afford.. We try not to push the limits and keep it safe...

And until you drive what the other guy has, it seems your experience is limited to what you have towed with...

You my have an opinion about other tow Vehicles , but by no means does this account for experience towing with other said vehicle.

So Opinions are all good and nice, but thats all they are (OPINIONS)

And it would seem that most of the Tundra drivers like towing with them!!!

And I have seen more Fords on the side of the road towing rigs than Toyotas or Chevy But then there or more Fords Trucks on the road (# 1 seller in the world) so your bound to see more broke down.. RIGHT, or is this just my opinion and then may not be worth much...

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
purman is offline   Reply With Quote