Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Fyi - the F150 with the 5.0 litre engine is a sweet truck. Nothing like the old 5.4. The 5.0 has more torque and more HP than the old 5.4. 360HP and 380ft.lbs. torque. EcoBoost is 365HP and 420ft. Lbs torque.
Tundra 5.7 is right there also, Ram 5.7 hemi is also right there.

If I had to pick a truck I just might flip a coin.

I drove and towed with a 2011 5.0 litre for two years. The truck was very comfortable and easy to drive.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:38 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I just want to add that I've been pretty amazed at the current incentives on the new F150's. I ordered mine at the end of January and it was built this week, hope to see it in the next few days. The price I'm getting it for is just slightly higher then A plan and then a whole slew of incentives. The dealer locked in the incentives at time of order and said if they got any better when it comes in I would get those instead. I also bugged Ford direct for a F150 brochure and received another $750 off coupon in the brochure. A new incentive added another $500 discount.

Bottomline, I'm getting the truck I want and the total savings off of MSRP with all incentives is a little greater then $10k. I've always done well with ordering vehicles and feel pricing compares very well to any special "deals" on units sitting on dealer lots.
HeadWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

I have those seats, it thought that I wouldn't like them but now I love it. We flip up the console and our two dogs ride between us strapped in to the center seat belt. I did the high rate 3 month deal and the switched to my low interest rate credit union.

Hope you find the truck which best fits your needs.

Jim
I too have those seats and my truck is the only vehicle that fits the whole family.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Fyi - the F150 with the 5.0 litre engine is a sweet truck. Nothing like the old 5.4. The 5.0 has more torque and more HP than the old 5.4. 360HP and 380ft.lbs. torque. EcoBoost is 365HP and 420ft. Lbs torque.
Tundra 5.7 is right there also, Ram 5.7 hemi is also right there.

If I had to pick a truck I just might flip a coin.

I drove and towed with a 2011 5.0 litre for two years. The truck was very comfortable and easy to drive.
I completely agree. They are all good trucks. Look at and try all of them and buy the one that works best for you.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 09:06 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
I just want to add that I've been pretty amazed at the current incentives on the new F150's. I ordered mine at the end of January and it was built this week, hope to see it in the next few days. The price I'm getting it for is just slightly higher then A plan and then a whole slew of incentives. The dealer locked in the incentives at time of order and said if they got any better when it comes in I would get those instead. I also bugged Ford direct for a F150 brochure and received another $750 off coupon in the brochure. A new incentive added another $500 discount.

Bottomline, I'm getting the truck I want and the total savings off of MSRP with all incentives is a little greater then $10k. I've always done well with ordering vehicles and feel pricing compares very well to any special "deals" on units sitting on dealer lots.
Headwest

I agree completely with this strategy. If you buy at the right time when there are lots of incentives available you can get a new truck that is state of the art, has all the options you want, in the color you want for not much more than a year old truck. This is real important especially if you are going to keep your truck a long time. I bought my new 08 5.7L Tundra 2wd double cab SR5 trim for 25k out the door after a 5k rebate and 2.5k discount. It has everything I want in a truck. It only has 45k miles on it now, and I plan on keeping it for a long time and many miles (300k at least).

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
All things being equal, I would rather send the profits on my truck purchase to Detroit rather that Tokyo.
I am a stockholder in Toyota. The profits go to us shareholders in the form of dividends. I live Salt Lake City, not Tokyo. Toyota trucks are made in the USA, in Texas in fact. Their USA content percentage is higher than Fords. The days of nationalism in business are long gone, I'm afraid.

BTW, I own Ford stock as well, so I don't care which truck you buy, they are both great trucks.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
It is truly a GLOBAL supply chain. I don't care which manufacture you purchase from, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, etc. "Made In America" or "Made In Japan" or "Made In wherever", in the age of a global economy, that is almost meaningless. The good news is that whatever TV you decide to buy, they are all pretty great trucks and you can't go too far wrong.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 10:41 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Kelvin, for what it's worth, about 18 months ago, I picked up a used '09 Tundra extended cab, 5.7 with tow package, 52k miles, for $19,500 in Arlington, Tx. It was just what I was looking for in white with beige interior. I've put nearly 25k miles on it and it has been fantastic. Pulled our 25' Excella all over the West from Napa Valley to Denver. I do wish the gas mileage was better but truth be told, it's not far from what I used to get with my '02 Tundra. I used the '02 Tundra to pull our 25' Excella over 125,000 miles. It still ran and drove like new when I sold it to get the '09.

Point is, just keep looking, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc. You'll find a good one to fit your budget. I mention Austin and San Antonio because they have good roads and for the most part no bad weather like snow. Also, Houston because it is a hub for Toyota's coming in off lease from all over the southwest. I bought mine from an individual which yielded a better price than from a lot. Diligence should produce results.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:53 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post

I am a stockholder in Toyota. The profits go to us shareholders in the form of dividends. I live Salt Lake City, not Tokyo. Toyota trucks are made in the USA, in Texas in fact. Their USA content percentage is higher than Fords. The days of nationalism in business are long gone, I'm afraid.

BTW, I own Ford stock as well, so I don't care which truck you buy, they are both great trucks.
Would you support an initiative to move Airstream production to India under an outsourced production agreement with Tata group?

Assuming that it was beneficial to the shareholders of course.
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 01:59 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post

Would you support an initiative to move Airstream production to India under an outsourced production agreement with Tata group?

Assuming that it was beneficial to the shareholders of course.
Probably not, I would not like to see the employees in Ohio unemployed. Bit if Tata in India was more efficient and productive in the manufacture of AS products than Thor, then the economic theory of comparative advantage would dictate that their manufacture go where they could be most efficiently produced. Capitalism is really a bitch, isn't it?
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #71
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Thompson View Post
Kelvin, for what it's worth, about 18 months ago, I picked up a used '09 Tundra extended cab, 5.7 with tow package, 52k miles, for $19,500 in Arlington, I used the '02 Tundra to pull our 25' Excella over 125,000 miles. It still ran and drove like new when I sold it to get the '09.
Kevin... How does the new Tundra tow compared with the 02. Just wondering.

thnx
Old 03-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #72
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
I really liked my '02 Tundra. I liked the way it rode, drove, and braked when towing. It was very predictable and managable. The engine RPM seemed to be just right for pulling the various grades encountered in towing from doing 70 mph on a flat stretch to going up a steep grade like the west side of Wolf Creek Pass. I could always find a comfort zone for the engine and transmission to work in which provided good gas mileage with minimal stress on the running gear.

The '09 feels bigger, heavier, and is much harder to fine tune the RPM to match the towing loads and speeds. The 6-speed tranny searches more than in the older Tundra. In the '02 Tundra you never forgot there was a trailer behind you but you can forget occasionally with the '09. The '09 has much more power and much better brakes but it requires very focused driving to produce good gas mileage. The "down the road" ride and seating position of the '09 doesn't suit me quite as well as the '02. I do like the engine braking feature of the '09. I have 20's on the '09 with Michelin A/T2's and they ride rougher and are more difficult to find a sweet spot air pressure where they are not harsh, but I like the way they track, the quiet ride, and their very low rate of wear.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:31 AM   #73
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
St. Catharines , South Western Ontario
Thnxs Bob!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #74

Dallas , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Found a white 2011 F150 SCrew EB 40k miles $25.9k, one owner. Don't know the rear end so I'll have to ask them to send me the axle code off the vehicle. I want at least a 3.55 so that is 19 for non limited slip and H9 for limited slip

I always wonder why people trade in a car so soon. Is it because of mechanical issues?
I will sell you my 2011 F150 XLT SCrew EB with 15,000 miles. It has LimitedSlip 3.55, tow package, heated power back window, heated side mirrors, backup beepers, 18” Michelins. Power seats, Power Pedals, Sync, etc. (all major XLT options groups), White with gray seats 40/20/40 style. Send PM if interested.
TexasTowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM   #75
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I made my decision and went with a 2010 Toyota Tundra Double Cab SR5, 39K miles, very clean, 1 owner vehicle Toyota Certified and the transmission shift on the floor vs on the steering console, bed liner. I'm also getting the running boards installed as part of the deal.

I went with the safe route. I've owned Toyota before, never Ford, and the Ecoboost is nice but despite all the testing Ford did we still have to see what happens when real owners reach 100,000 miles or more.

I'm now looking at getting a hard folding or a rolling tonneau cover. I don't think I want a fiberglass shell as there are times I may need to carry a larger item.

Thanks for everyone's comments. They were very helpful in making a decision.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #76

Dallas , Texas
Very Good Choice. My plans will be to trade the 2011 F150 EB for a 2014 Tundra 5.7. Finally they will have the fold up rear seat, still not really a load flat floor; but close enough for me.
TexasTowing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM   #77
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
I have the roll up type, an Access bed cover. I have had 2 of them on 2 different trucks. Idaho snow, ice, below zero weather, then Arizona and Texas 110+ temps don't phase it one bit. Car washes, etc don't penetrate it. Rolls up for entire bed use if needed. I also have a below bed tool box, and on my older 2002 sold truck, I kept my 5th wheel hitch on and was still covered with the Access. The one I have on now is almost 6 years old and just like new.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:28 PM   #78
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
With respect to covers, I've had the hard fold Bakflip for almost two years. It leaked from the beginning and gets worse as time goes on. I do like the fact there is no loss of space in the bed. Roll ups consume some bed space. I like the Backflip better than a one piece nonretracting hard tonneau because I can stand in the bed with the segments folded back.

I pack items I carry in the truck bed in plastic totes which keeps them from getting wet. The best accessory I bought for the truck is a Bedrug liner which is soft on the knees and keeps things in the bed from sliding around. The folding step Ford builds into the tailgate of some trims is almost enough reason to buy a Ford truck.

Despite the leaks I like the way the Bakflip operates and allows the entire bed to be used. If I were doing it again I'd probably get the Bakflip again or buy a cab roof height fiberglass cap to provide more storage space.
WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:12 AM   #79
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
Struggled with covers. I wanted a load bearing lid that eliminated the folding I think? (to load rafts, ATV or dirt bikes, so a couple of guys plus load). FYI, Diamondback makes great metal covers. I ended up with a Snugtop XTR with fold down front window and slider that has railing system for cargo etc. Agree totally with BedRug, your knees will love you. My tipping point was needing above the rail storage to bring Shepherds and dog crates and keep the out of the elements. It will make me cringe the first time I need to haul a tree for planting or big BBQ grill, but dogs and storage for generators, perhaps additional sleeping area that doesn't leak sold me. It isn't cheap.

In the folding I'd have to go with the no-leak experience Pap had. A wet covered bed sounds pretty useless except for theft.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2190493703.jpg
Views:	3969
Size:	501.5 KB
ID:	181005  
h8rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 01:22 PM   #80
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I'm considering the BakFlip VP. No exposed joints, maybe less water intrusion then with exposed joints along with the BedRug mat. I had a camper shell on an S10 for toting around RC model airplanes. It was always hard to get to the back with cargo stored near the tailgate. Also the tonneau won't be as heavy taking away from the payload.

I found this for cargo management
Truck cargo gate bed divider: Msp-04. Bed width range: 56.75" to 60.75" (under the bed rails). SpacePac a GREAT GIFT IDEA FOR PICKUP ENTHUSIASTS! See all seven sizes to select the best fit for your truck. : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote