Old 03-08-2013, 02:22 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
We went and looked at one of the few remaining F150 SCrew Ecoboost XLT last night and they ran some numbers. They are discounting them slightly more than $10k with all the incentives. I would have to use high interest Ford credit for a minimum of 3 months then I could refinance. The XLT features are nice and this had a color back up camera. Only a manual AC. It had the 40/20/40 seats. The center console pulls down. This was a big disappointment.

I have those seats, it thought that I wouldn't like them but now I love it. We flip up the console and our two dogs ride between us strapped in to the center seat belt. I did the high rate 3 month deal and the switched to my low interest rate credit union.

Hope you find the truck which best fits your needs.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

2012 25' International
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pappy19 View Post
Sorry, but you are wrong, especially on Ford leases. For one thing, the Ford lease states exactly what the residual price of the vehicle is at the end of the lease, period. Also, I always only have the minimum annual or total miles on my lease. I do not pay up front for additional miles; reason is if I do go over the miles and buy the vehicle at the end of the lease, it doesn't matter how many miles are on the vehicle, the residual price is what it is. The really smart people, take out a second mortgage or a LOC and pay the lease up front for the term of the lease, getting an even better deal from Ford; then your monthly payment is on your home which is a tax deduction for the interest. In addition, you only pay sales tax on the monthly payment if it is a lease. Otherwise, you pay sales tax on the entire amount if you buy and that gets added into the monthly payment as well. The lease payment on the same vehicle with the same money down will almost always be less than an outright purchase. On a lease, you are basically paying off the depreciation. When you lease from a "leasing company", even a local bank, you could be asking for trouble. The Ford Red Carpet Lease is the best in the business. Other companies may not be as good to work with.
Every lease has a condition addendum. If you're story is Ford doesn't charge someone for a dent in the hood, that sounds like a fairytale.

I love the thought of someone paying a lease in full at commencement. Then borrowing more money to do it. You have missed the fact that the payment includes the finance charge. Basically, you're paying interest on money you didn't borrow. Stop now, you aren't credible.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #59

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
h8rain: While I don't think "leasing" is always a good option, I've discussed this in person with pappy19 and my impression is that he's always approaching the lease deal with the intention of keeping the vehicle if it turns out to be a good truck, and that's why he ignores the condition and mileage stipulations. It's a special case and should probably be mentioned up front, but that's part of why it works for him.

Also, there's leasing and then there's leasing... it irks me a bit that what consumers get (in Texas anyway) and think is a lease really is not, it's a balloon-payment note with a promise from the finance to buy back in lieu of the balloon payment if conditions are met, usually with a pre-agreed option to automatically refinance for the same payment (potentially leading to what's effectively an 8-year note!)

So, case by case, you're both right, but I suspect that for the vast majority of drivers, h8rain's description is closer to what really happens to them.

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

2000 31' Excella
san francisco , California
Many leases are simple interest and pre-paying will reduce the total amount some, however, you have to remember that you are still paying interest on the residual value of the car (in addition to depreciated - which is being paid off as part of the lease). General rule of thumb is >15K mi a year and plan on keeping a long time - then buy it. However, even in this case why take a chance? Negotiate a low sale price and decent residual, take the lease and if the vehicle lives up to your standards then purchase outright at the end. It doesn't matter if you go over on your miles, as long as you purchase it you wont get charged (read your contract for sure). Many dealers will re-negotiate the residual price (lower) just to make the sale and not have to inventory / restock the truck.
Additionally, the tax issue is a big one in some states, e.g. CA. We are ~10%, so a $35K truck will cost you an extra $2K in taxes if you are able to lease it for a total payment(s) of ~$15K ($3,500 vs. $1,500). Of course if you buy at the end you will have to pay the remaining taxes.
Another thing to consider is stuff like tires. A 2-3 yr lease and normal driving will likely result in no need for new tires, which can run $1-2K.
As for damage, all leases specific how big, how many, etc. dents and scratches you can have per panel / bumper / etc. When i leased a BMW i took it to a paint-less dent removal and airbrush touch up shop, spent $500 and had no turn in charges. Another good idea is to turn the vehicle back in a night and even better if it is raining, makes it harder to find issues.

just my $0.02 but what do i know.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Columbus , Ohio
Fyi - the F150 with the 5.0 litre engine is a sweet truck. Nothing like the old 5.4. The 5.0 has more torque and more HP than the old 5.4. 360HP and 380ft.lbs. torque. EcoBoost is 365HP and 420ft. Lbs torque.
Tundra 5.7 is right there also, Ram 5.7 hemi is also right there.

If I had to pick a truck I just might flip a coin.

I drove and towed with a 2011 5.0 litre for two years. The truck was very comfortable and easy to drive.
Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

2013 28' International
Bozeman , Montana
I just want to add that I've been pretty amazed at the current incentives on the new F150's. I ordered mine at the end of January and it was built this week, hope to see it in the next few days. The price I'm getting it for is just slightly higher then A plan and then a whole slew of incentives. The dealer locked in the incentives at time of order and said if they got any better when it comes in I would get those instead. I also bugged Ford direct for a F150 brochure and received another $750 off coupon in the brochure. A new incentive added another $500 discount.

Bottomline, I'm getting the truck I want and the total savings off of MSRP with all incentives is a little greater then $10k. I've always done well with ordering vehicles and feel pricing compares very well to any special "deals" on units sitting on dealer lots.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Clark View Post

I have those seats, it thought that I wouldn't like them but now I love it. We flip up the console and our two dogs ride between us strapped in to the center seat belt. I did the high rate 3 month deal and the switched to my low interest rate credit union.

Hope you find the truck which best fits your needs.

Jim
I too have those seats and my truck is the only vehicle that fits the whole family.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Fyi - the F150 with the 5.0 litre engine is a sweet truck. Nothing like the old 5.4. The 5.0 has more torque and more HP than the old 5.4. 360HP and 380ft.lbs. torque. EcoBoost is 365HP and 420ft. Lbs torque.
Tundra 5.7 is right there also, Ram 5.7 hemi is also right there.

If I had to pick a truck I just might flip a coin.

I drove and towed with a 2011 5.0 litre for two years. The truck was very comfortable and easy to drive.
I completely agree. They are all good trucks. Look at and try all of them and buy the one that works best for you.

Dan
Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadWest View Post
I just want to add that I've been pretty amazed at the current incentives on the new F150's. I ordered mine at the end of January and it was built this week, hope to see it in the next few days. The price I'm getting it for is just slightly higher then A plan and then a whole slew of incentives. The dealer locked in the incentives at time of order and said if they got any better when it comes in I would get those instead. I also bugged Ford direct for a F150 brochure and received another $750 off coupon in the brochure. A new incentive added another $500 discount.

Bottomline, I'm getting the truck I want and the total savings off of MSRP with all incentives is a little greater then $10k. I've always done well with ordering vehicles and feel pricing compares very well to any special "deals" on units sitting on dealer lots.
Headwest

I agree completely with this strategy. If you buy at the right time when there are lots of incentives available you can get a new truck that is state of the art, has all the options you want, in the color you want for not much more than a year old truck. This is real important especially if you are going to keep your truck a long time. I bought my new 08 5.7L Tundra 2wd double cab SR5 trim for 25k out the door after a 5k rebate and 2.5k discount. It has everything I want in a truck. It only has 45k miles on it now, and I plan on keeping it for a long time and many miles (300k at least).

Dan
Old 03-10-2013, 11:07 PM   #66
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
All things being equal, I would rather send the profits on my truck purchase to Detroit rather that Tokyo.
I am a stockholder in Toyota. The profits go to us shareholders in the form of dividends. I live Salt Lake City, not Tokyo. Toyota trucks are made in the USA, in Texas in fact. Their USA content percentage is higher than Fords. The days of nationalism in business are long gone, I'm afraid.

BTW, I own Ford stock as well, so I don't care which truck you buy, they are both great trucks.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:30 PM   #67
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
It is truly a GLOBAL supply chain. I don't care which manufacture you purchase from, Toyota, Ford, Dodge, etc. "Made In America" or "Made In Japan" or "Made In wherever", in the age of a global economy, that is almost meaningless. The good news is that whatever TV you decide to buy, they are all pretty great trucks and you can't go too far wrong.
WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:41 PM   #68
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
Kelvin, for what it's worth, about 18 months ago, I picked up a used '09 Tundra extended cab, 5.7 with tow package, 52k miles, for $19,500 in Arlington, Tx. It was just what I was looking for in white with beige interior. I've put nearly 25k miles on it and it has been fantastic. Pulled our 25' Excella all over the West from Napa Valley to Denver. I do wish the gas mileage was better but truth be told, it's not far from what I used to get with my '02 Tundra. I used the '02 Tundra to pull our 25' Excella over 125,000 miles. It still ran and drove like new when I sold it to get the '09.

Point is, just keep looking, Austin, San Antonio, Houston, etc. You'll find a good one to fit your budget. I mention Austin and San Antonio because they have good roads and for the most part no bad weather like snow. Also, Houston because it is a hub for Toyota's coming in off lease from all over the southwest. I bought mine from an individual which yielded a better price than from a lot. Diligence should produce results.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 AM   #69
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post

I am a stockholder in Toyota. The profits go to us shareholders in the form of dividends. I live Salt Lake City, not Tokyo. Toyota trucks are made in the USA, in Texas in fact. Their USA content percentage is higher than Fords. The days of nationalism in business are long gone, I'm afraid.

BTW, I own Ford stock as well, so I don't care which truck you buy, they are both great trucks.
Would you support an initiative to move Airstream production to India under an outsourced production agreement with Tata group?

Assuming that it was beneficial to the shareholders of course.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:59 AM   #70
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrunes View Post

Would you support an initiative to move Airstream production to India under an outsourced production agreement with Tata group?

Assuming that it was beneficial to the shareholders of course.
Probably not, I would not like to see the employees in Ohio unemployed. Bit if Tata in India was more efficient and productive in the manufacture of AS products than Thor, then the economic theory of comparative advantage would dictate that their manufacture go where they could be most efficiently produced. Capitalism is really a bitch, isn't it?