Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-07-2013, 01:41 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
Puyallup , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 184
correction - the crew max rear seats do not fold up like the silverado
__________________

__________________
srpuywa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
Phrunes's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
The point I'm making is the Tundra is an excellent match for a 25 Airstream. Perhaps more than the sum of two parts. I'm generally not that enthusiastic about two items I no longer own. But the synergy of the Tundra and the Airstream was really quite exceptional. It did not porpoise. This is info which can't be obtained without a truck trailer test drive. I feel it is important to pass that info on to someone considering a 25 Airstream and Tundra.

FWIW I'm not anti Ford. I own E450 based motorhome. I own Ford stock. I'm considering a Mustang GT.
I gotcha. I'll bet that mustang will pull the ole AS.
__________________

__________________
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #31
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
I found a couple of private party sellers nearby with 2007 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed and a 2008 Tundra Doublecab 6 ft bed, $15k to $16.5k. The 2008 has a color coordinated tonneau cover that flips up from the front the 2007 has a bed liner. The miles are similar 89k and 92k. If they are both well maintained I shouldn't worry about these mileage figures should I? I've looked at the Tundra maintenance manual and unlike like my Toyota 4.7L V8 which requires new timing belts every 90k miles or 9 years the 5.7L doesn't

What about the 5.0L Ford V8 F150 Supercrew for towing? The new 2012 are several thousand cheaper with this size engine compared to the Ecoboost. Again, I want to match it with a 25 floor plan. The towing capacity isn't as much with the 5.0L, 8000lbs with the 3.53 axles, payload is still a little higher than the Tundra 1790 vs 1650. I bet the fuel consumption will be about the same for all three pulling a 25, 10mpg to 12mpg?
Maybe I don't need an Ecoboost?

Thanks again for everyones thoughts.

Kelvin
__________________
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:00 PM   #32
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I found a couple of private party sellers nearby with 2007 Tundra Double Cab 8' bed and a 2008 Tundra Doublecab 6 ft bed, $15k to $16.5k. The 2008 has a color coordinated tonneau cover that flips up from the front the 2007 has a bed liner. The miles are similar 89k and 92k. If they are both well maintained I shouldn't worry about these mileage figures should I? I've looked at the Tundra maintenance manual and unlike like my Toyota 4.7L V8 which requires new timing belts every 90k miles or 9 years the 5.7L doesn't

What about the 5.0L Ford V8 F150 Supercrew for towing? The new 2012 are several thousand cheaper with this size engine compared to the Ecoboost. Again, I want to match it with a 25 floor plan. The towing capacity isn't as much with the 5.0L, 8000lbs with the 3.53 axles, payload is still a little higher than the Tundra 1790 vs 1650. I bet the fuel consumption will be about the same for all three pulling a 25, 10mpg to 12mpg?
Maybe I don't need an Ecoboost?

Thanks again for everyones thoughts.

Kelvin
Re: the private-party Tundras: If they're properly maintained I wouldn't worry about that mileage. It's pretty much the average for a daily-use vehicle in the Metroplex.

Re: the 5.0: I think a 5.0 with the 3.73 differential would do fine around here. The Ecoboost would have a huge advantage at altitude, but if you're spending most of your time within 4 hours of DFW there won't be enough altitude available to make that apparent.

The Ecoboost will be the torquier choice at lower RPM, I'm guessing the 5.0 will need the spurs put to it just like my 5.4 does to pull up a significant grade, though you'll have the advantage of a much better transmission than my 2007's 4R75W. The 5.0 will make enough power if you're willing to rev it, but lots of people are squeamish about that.

You mentioned a "3.53" rear axle... if you meant the 3.55, I'd recommend sticking with the 3.73, especially for the 5.0. With the new 6-speed, overdrive will still get you a nice relaxed engine RPM even with the 3.73 diff, and you'll have that better ratio to get things rolling in the lower gears.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
Rivet Master
 
Phrunes's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,197
Check the torque figures for the 5.0, should be ok. Back in the 80s my dad towed a 35 ft cimaron fifthwheel with his 302 equipped f150...got a little slow in the Sierras, and Rockies but otherwise towed it just fine. A 25 ft AS weighs significantly less. Torque and gearing are your best allies for towing.
__________________
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:05 PM   #34
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,387
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
.....though you'll have the advantage of a much better transmission than my 2007's 4R75W.
Yes, the six speed transmission in the 09 and newer F-150's has huge impact on the way these trucks feel. I drove a 4 speed version and was surprised at how different it felt.
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
aftermath's Avatar
 
2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,133
The Tundra 5.7 will tow a 25 ft. Airstream easily. It has plenty of HP and torque. I know this because I am towing my 25 FB and have taken it all through the west over the Rockies as well as the Cascades. I don't have to slow way down on the passes and have been averaging a tad over 11 mpg while trying to keep it between 60 and 65.

The problem with the Tundra is, like all half ton pickups, the carrying capacity. You can overload one of these in a hurry so think about how you camp and how much stuff you typically bring with you. Ford does have an advantage here as you can get one with beefed up suspensions, turbocharged engines, different bed lengths and many other options. The Tundra has some choices but not as many.

I have an '08 with just over 50K on it. I will still be driving it when it has 90K but I know the history of mine. Buying used with 89k will always be a bit of a gamble. You just never know how it was taken care of. Your salesman might say it was owned by a little old lady who only drove it to church on Sundays........
__________________
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:20 PM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
adwriter73's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 352
Images: 9
I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if this was mentioned already.

I know two people with the Ford EcoBoost who have had issues with the intercooler. The problem appears in high humidity areas. Apparently moisture accumulates in there and causes the engine not to start. Not bashing the F-150, but I'm not sure the EcoBoost has been effectively proven to be reliable. I have an '11 F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and it tows well. I've noticed some strange sway and instability (which I've posted before), but I've gotten used to it and it may or may not have anything to do with the truck.
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:32 PM   #37
Rivet Master
 
Bruce B's Avatar

 
2012 16' International
Jamestown , Rhode Island
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,387
Images: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adwriter73 View Post
I didn't read all the posts, so I apologize if this was mentioned already.

I know two people with the Ford EcoBoost who have had issues with the intercooler. The problem appears in high humidity areas. Apparently moisture accumulates in there and causes the engine not to start. Not bashing the F-150, but I'm not sure the EcoBoost has been effectively proven to be reliable. I have an '11 F-150 with the 5.0 V8 and it tows well. I've noticed some strange sway and instability (which I've posted before), but I've gotten used to it and it may or may not have anything to do with the truck.
I am not certain this issue should be placed in the reliability table but rather in the annoyance table. My understanding is that the fix is out and people who have the issue are getting replacement intercoolers as supply allows.

I have not driven an EcoBoost yet as I do not need an excuse to buy a new vehicle but I too am watching the forums with interest. I have spent many many hours repairing and maintaining aluminum engine turbo engines and so far I see nothing to make me nervous but i remain open minded on the subject.
Bruce
__________________
Bruce B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #38
Rivet Master
 
Phrunes's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce B View Post

I am not certain this issue should be placed in the reliability table but rather in the annoyance table. My understanding is that the fix is out and people who have the issue are getting replacement intercoolers as supply allows.

I have not driven an EcoBoost yet as I do not need an excuse to buy a new vehicle but I too am watching the forums with interest. I have spent many many hours repairing and maintaining aluminum engine turbo engines and so far I see nothing to make me nervous but i remain open minded on the subject.
Bruce
Kinda off topic, but I've owned three tbird turbo coupes and one Mustang SVO in my lifetime and those engines could take a severe beating. Ford definitely knows their way around the turbocharged engine landscape.
__________________
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar

 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post


You mentioned a "3.53" rear axle... if you meant the 3.55, I'd recommend sticking with the 3.73, especially for the 5.0. With the new 6-speed, overdrive will still get you a nice relaxed engine RPM even with the 3.73 diff, and you'll have that better ratio to get things rolling in the lower gears.
So far looking at 2013 Supercrews on line with the 5.0L V8 they seem to only have the 3.31 axles. The 2013 Ford towing guide shows 8000lbs with either the 3.55 of 3.31. I think you have to special order an F150 to get the 3.73 axle around here. Then I might as well see about the Max Towing and Max Payload options. Might be over my financial comfort zone. You can find plenty of 2013 Ecoboost on the lots here with 3.55. Haven't seen one yet with 3.73 but maybe those are the $50k model

Kelvin
__________________
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:13 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member
 
2000 31' Excella
san francisco , California
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 5
I have owned a Tundra (w/ 4.7), 4Runner (w/ 4.7), Ranger, F150 CC 4x4 w/ 5.4L, F150 2WD reg cab w/ 4.2L. F250 CC 4x4 w/ Diesel, and now have a Dodge RAM 2500 4x4 Reg Cab w/ 5.7L.

The Ford trucks, hands down, had better fit and finish, interior materials, design, reliability, drive, and overall sturdiness. My F150 was a 1998 and I got a 2002 Tundra - much worse. I abused the living crap out of my F150 4x4 (think off road jumping - i was much stupider and younger then) and not a single glitch, nothing - just oil changes. The Tundra did feel a little lighter/nimbler but it felt more like a Ranger (yes it was previous model). I looked at the new Tundra a few years ago and went with the F150 (a second time). The Tundra's interior, etc. was just too cheap and not ergonomically friendly. Also, both my Toy had issues - I did some off roading with them BUT NOTHING LIKE THE F150. My 4Runner snapped its front axle and Tundra had a few electrical gremlins (might have been b/c Toy dealer installed the Toy aftermarket alarm). I put over 100K on the F150 4x4 and never been to the dealer, besides PM. A friend bought his F150 the sometime (98), still has it with 260K miles and the only repairs he's had is new front brake rotors/pads, radio, and had to replace a small part in the heater (all at over 150K).

The vehicle I wish I still had (for my 2000 31' Excella) is the '05 F250 SD 4x4. This truck was insane (got it with an extra HD/work/off road package from the factory). B/c I live at high elevation, I could actually leave a base Porsche Boxter or BMW 330 from 10-70MPH - very funny to see their faces when a truck that they could drive under out accelerates their german sports cars. (again, prob more so b/c i was at high elevation).

I picked up a low mileage dodge ram 2500 from a GSA auction and while not a bad truck, it's def no Ford or Toy. (good bit of surface rust everywhere, notorious valve spring problems, etc).

There is a reason that Toy Tundra sales haven't lived up to expectations and haven't even made a dent in the Big 3 sales.

Hope this helps.
__________________
undl8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 04:28 PM   #41
Moderator
 
DKB_SATX's Avatar

 
2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 6,401
Images: 1
Blog Entries: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
So far looking at 2013 Supercrews on line with the 5.0L V8 they seem to only have the 3.31 axles. The 2013 Ford towing guide shows 8000lbs with either the 3.55 of 3.31. I think you have to special order an F150 to get the 3.73 axle around here. Then I might as well see about the Max Towing and Max Payload options. Might be over my financial comfort zone. You can find plenty of 2013 Ecoboost on the lots here with 3.55. Haven't seen one yet with 3.73 but maybe those are the $50k model

Kelvin
Dealer load the lots up with what their customers buy. Most truck buyers in the Metroplex really are shopping for a car that LOOKS like a truck, since all they do is drive them to the office and the mall. I had to do lots of looking to find a nice 5.4l when I was looking for a used truck a couple of years ago, the little V8 with a low-numeric diff seemed to make up most of the inventory. I have a 3.55 LSD on my '07, and it does the job towing my '75 Argosy 24-footer but as I said it takes some spurs to get it to be enthusiastic about grades. I'm not ashamed of the sound, I just stop looking at the mileage readout when I'm climbing.
__________________
David

Zero Gravitas 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #42
Rivet Master
 
Phrunes's Avatar
 
1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1,197
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post

Dealer load the lots up with what their customers buy. Most truck buyers in the Metroplex really are shopping for a car that LOOKS like a truck, since all they do is drive them to the office and the mall. I had to do lots of looking to find a nice 5.4l when I was looking for a used truck a couple of years ago, the little V8 with a low-numeric diff seemed to make up most of the inventory. I have a 3.55 LSD on my '07, and it does the job towing my '75 Argosy 24-footer but as I said it takes some spurs to get it to be enthusiastic about grades. I'm not ashamed of the sound, I just stop looking at the mileage readout when I'm climbing.
That's sooo true...my worst mileage to date...downhill, Donner Summit CA, 5.4 l f150, 3:73 gears, 4wheel drive low range, in a blizzard behind a big rig...4 MPG. Lol
__________________

__________________
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F150 Ecoboost Owners With Problems LFM Tow Vehicles 45 01-29-2016 11:16 PM
Anyone using Ford F150 with Ecoboost kiddoc1 Tow Vehicles 17 01-10-2016 01:46 PM
F150 Ecoboost or F250 6.2L for 1968? Randy Gates 1965 - 1969 Globetrotter 25 06-16-2013 01:49 PM
Questions about towing a 25FB with a F-150 barrettjl Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches 32 03-14-2012 12:13 AM
ordering our next TV - 2011 F150 EcoBoost jm2 Tow Vehicles 20 03-31-2011 06:29 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.