Old 03-06-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Puyallup , Washington
we looked at the tundra and F150 but ended up with a 2012 silverado CC, the tundra back seats just fold over and we wanted the seats to flip up so our lab has more room to stretch out on the floor

Old 03-06-2013, 08:55 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' International
Van Wert , Ohio
Thanks for all the excellent technical information on both vehicles. Living in a small town with only Gm and Ford dealerships, I always lean toward the home town guys for convenience with al other things being equal, it has worked out. To visit a Toyoto dealership I must travel 40+ miles. For me the Ford would be my choice in this discussion.

Old 03-06-2013, 09:25 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
My Tundra is a Double Cab, the back seat folds up, not down. It also has a 4:10 electronic locker rear end.
Some people don't care for the locker. As I recall the locker only locks up if you have it OUT of the anti slip mode. But I would have to go back to the manual, all 700 pages to verify that.
I think it is a great truck. But I have been a Toyota truck owner since 1976. This is my 3rd in that time period. Still have my '85 4x4, it has 300,000 miles on it and still runs like a clock. With only routine maintenance, tires and a new clutch. Oh! A new carburetor after 260K miles. Can't tell you exactly how many gallons of fuel went thru that old carb, but it must have been a lot. Somewhere in the 14,400 gallon range, I would guess.
I was test driving a new Ford, when I spotted the Tundra in the lot. So for 1/2 the price of the NEW Ford, I'm driving a Tundra with just over 10K miles on it now.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:48 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
SW , Missouri
As you can tell, owners of both seem to be satisfied and passionate about them. I doubt you will find significant statistical reliability differences between them. However, based on your post, I'd recommend the Tundra.

Buy the brand you prefer and I doubt you'll regret it.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Thanks for everyones comments. I didn't even think of looking at a Ford a few weeks ago until I visited a local Ford dealership to test drive a white 2010 Tundra Double Cab 2wd 5.7L V8 with only 13k miles, 1 owner with an asking price of just under $25. It even had towing mirrors. I'm not sure if they were powered. I think it had a brake controller mounted on it. I drove it and felt it needed an alignment. Could've been the tires. The drivers door frame area had lots of unsightly scratches. I guess I had felt for a price between $20k and $25k I wanted something that had been better taken care of. Since this was the first Tundra I drove I didn't want to jump on it without looking at others. The salesman invited me to look at a 2012 F150 Ecoboost. He said with all the incentives the price would be very close to the asking price of the Tundra. We came back the following weekend and test drove a XLT. We did a little city and freeway driving. We thought the ride was nicer than the Tundra but not radically better.

Then we got thinking we'd be better off finding an AS that our 4Runner could tow and we looked at a 22 Sport, 23FB, FC 20, and International 23D and we decided the best thing to do is just go for a 25. So now we are concentrating on the TV. I'm tempted to try to negotiate a deal on a F150. Nothing in the dealers inventory has the Max Towing and HD Payload packages. These have the 7100 GVWR package, 3.55 axle, tow package, integrated brake controller, 26 gallon tank ( the FWD has the 36 gallon tank and I wish the 2wd had that tank size), Payload is around. If the Ecoboost doesn't offer any difference in fuel economy while towing vs the 5.7L then that is a negative. I work from home so I don't drive the TV much except when we are towing or the rare 2nd car errand. It sits in the garage so the Ecoboost doesn't offer a lot of advantages for me I guess. Maybe if I tow over a high mountain pass one day the turbos will overcome the altitude.

I'd have to leave a Tundra or F150 outside 100% of the time. A new truck vs and preowned truck sitting in the elements during some wild spring storms and hot Texas summers.

I might try to wheel and deal on a 2012 F150 to see what they can do. Maybe I should try a 2013 Tundra deal too. If they both end up being financially uncomfortable then its back t the preowned plan. Gotta leave some money for an AS.

Kelvin
Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
All things being equal, I would rather send the profits on my truck purchase to Detroit rather that Tokyo.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:41 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Kelvin

I love my Tundra, but if I had to choose between a 2010 Tundra with 25k miles and questionable care, and a new F150 eco boost for similar money, I would take the eco boost in a heart beat.

Decisions, decisions. Happy hunting for both the TV and the Airstream.

Dan
Old 03-07-2013, 01:17 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Yeah, what Dan said. Buying used is always a bit iffy. It sounds like the salesman is playing you to jump into a new truck. The one you looked at was "close" to the price of the used one.....but.....it didn't have the tow package. I am sure he will be more than willing to help you out with that.

Read more about the Eco boost. I understand that it is great when empty but the mileage drops off when towing. If I was using my truck as a daily driver I would look into the Ford. I think that when you compare towing efficiencies they are pretty close.

Keep looking and try to find one from a private seller.
Old 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Lake Charles , Louisiana
I am Ford all the way. Love the F-250, new Boss 302, 08 Bullitt Mustang, 1970 Boss 302 and 1971 Boss 351. Sorry....didn't mean to get carried away. I'm sure Yota's are also fine. Just never had one :-)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:20 AM   #24

2001 25' Safari
Crowley , Texas
BTW ... On the truck needing to sit outside in Texas, well, that's exactly where mine sits year round. White or silver will make a vast difference over black or very dark colors in appearance, plastics and rubber based components over a few years time not to mention internal (heat) temperatures during the hot months. That works equally for Fords as well as Toyotas.

Also note, the Tundras are built in San Antonio ... and that's Texas!
Old 03-07-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post

I don't agree with this statement..at..all. Not trying to start a brand war, I agree with many who said that both choices the OP mentioned will work fine for his purposes. Finding a decent slightly used Toyota Tundra for under 20K is going to be very difficult. Not as many Toys out there to start with.

Ford makes fine trucks and they make millions of them. They offer an option for everyone and because of that, they sell lots of trucks. The F 150 line alone has so many options it makes my head spin. But, when it comes to reliability, I don't think they have much on Toyota. JMHO
I've abused my 2004 f150 scab over the past 130,000 miles and have done nothing more than use royal purple. Knock wood. When I tow my boat its at the max tow rating, when I haul rock its overloaded, when I take it off-road I beat it up, I run oversized tires without a regear in the ring and pinion, and it is up the rpm range. I have pulled stumps, my stuck bronco, a dilapidated shed down and many other don't dos...nothing more than fluid changes. That IS reliability...oh, and my previous vehicle? A Toyota. Fine truck, but no better on the reliability spectrum.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:23 PM   #26
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
I towed an 25' Safari with an '11 Tundra 5.7. The truck simply worked very well with the trailer. Much less porpoising than I experienced with my '99 F250. Very direct precise steering.

I moved to a C class motorhome and the sloppy handling took some getting used to after the Tundra and Airstream. I highly recommend the Tundra for towing an Airstream 25.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:46 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpi View Post
I towed an 25' Safari with an '11 Tundra 5.7. The truck simply worked very well with the trailer. Much less porpoising than I experienced with my '99 F250. Very direct precise steering.

I moved to a C class motorhome and the sloppy handling took some getting used to after the Tundra and Airstream. I highly recommend the Tundra for towing an Airstream 25.
You can't really compare a 1999 model truck to a 2011. Yes, in 99 the 250s still had solid axle setup and a simple rack. Nowadays they feature a very precise ifs front-end with coilovers....a whole different animal. I like them both, but the previous poster commented on reliability and I disagree with him. The real comparison in this thread should be like for like, fact is that the Tundra is a 1/2 ton truck and they don't make a 3/4 ton. So its Tundra vs. F150...specifically ecoboost. Is anyone brave enough to compare the Tundra 5.7 to the Ford 6.2 F150? Smiles. As far as normally aspirated vs turbocharged reliability...think Ford 7.1 turbodiesel...500,000 miles is not unheard of...turbos are no longer an issue with new bearing materials and intercoolers. The ecoboost engineers did their homework in the right area...the block.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:00 PM   #28
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
The point I'm making is the Tundra is an excellent match for a 25 Airstream. Perhaps more than the sum of two parts. I'm generally not that enthusiastic about two items I no longer own. But the synergy of the Tundra and the Airstream was really quite exceptional. It did not porpoise. This is info which can't be obtained without a truck trailer test drive. I feel it is important to pass that info on to someone considering a 25 Airstream and Tundra.

FWIW I'm not anti Ford. I own E450 based motorhome. I own Ford stock. I'm considering a Mustang GT.