Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by crispyboy View Post
Ray,
What seems to be the problem with a steel wheel spare tire? It will still be the same size tire as the other 4 aluminum rims. If your not using it on a regular basis what's the difference? An aluminum rim seems more apt to corrode while up underneath the truck or trailer as a steel wheel can be repainted when it starts to get ugly.
Is your OCD kicking in

The Tundra spare tire is the steel wheel and a street tire Michelin. Not matching the Goodrich tires on the 4x4 off road models.

Never had corrosion on an aluminum wheel. Of course with 2% to 20% humidity... it just does not happen. SALT and water will eat up any metal.

The Michelin LTX AT2 will last for a good 50,000+ miles and the spare tire has a better chance of 'rotting' than the wheel going bad. When I am nowhere near a tire shop... I want a wheel and tire that fit right and can be dependable to get me and trailer out of where I happen to be.

I have not had a flat Michelin LTX, yet. I go where few would take their Airstream or tow vehicle. I now have FIVE Michelins on my Airstream. Four on the ground and one to... rot as a spare. The lug nuts for the aluminum wheel do not fit the steel wheel spare well on either the Tundra or Toyota. Try it, you will find that out yourself.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:13 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
I did want to add a comment, as usual, about the turn over of my Tundras.

The 4.7L is as dependable an engine and transmission I have driven. Towed our 23 footer with ease.

The 5.7L is dependable, a great tow vehicle, never has over heated and reliable 100%. Tows our 25 footer with ease. A bit light in the rear suspension, but now that I have adjusted our Equalizer Hitch that was setup by the Airstream Dealer... wrong, that might have been taken care of.

As the drive train improves... I watch the first model of introduction and test out the second year of production. It is the drive train I chase. The new smell can be found in a can or our Blue Heelers riding in their Pet Porters on the back seat.

I do not need a sun roof.
I do not need a rear window that goes down to suck up dust and exhaust.
I do not need a soft ride and prefer to feel the road where it counts. My butt.
I may not need, but a lot of stuff is padding for the bottom line on the invoice.

Although when it comes to sell. They Need and I am happy to oblige.

Old 05-26-2016, 10:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
What is the payload capacity of your current Tundra?
Old 05-26-2016, 10:29 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
I have a 2012 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L. Bed bounce on concrete or bumpy roads is driving us crazy, even when towing. Anybody have this issue, or know of a fix? New shocks?
I bought it used in November with 50k miles.
Old 05-26-2016, 11:16 AM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfrez View Post
I have a 2012 Tundra Crewmax 5.7L. Bed bounce on concrete or bumpy roads is driving us crazy, even when towing. Anybody have this issue, or know of a fix? New shocks?
I bought it used in November with 50k miles.

When the bed of a pickup has no load, I have noticed from the rear view mirror the bed doing 'its thing'. Once there is weight in the back of the bed, I have noticed none. With the Airstream in tow... not an issue. My Snug Top helped add this extra weight.

Asphalt is nice and smooth. The concrete with expansion joints will keep you wondering WHY concrete? The 18 wheelers you can hear coming catching the expansion joints coming up behind you on concrete.

Try a 3/4 Ton 4x4 and experience this with leaf springs up front and back... the older models. They would hop on a washboard road like you were dancing on a wood floor to some good music. An empty 1/2 ton 4x4 will do the same on washboard, so be aware that Chaco Canyon is not the road you want to drive!

Since I am comfortable with the firm ride of a 4x4 it is part of the experience. Not until you mentioned this, I had to remember.

The non 4 wheel drive probably rides much smoother like a family automobile. Street Tires and a soft ride. When Consumer Reports show the Toyota Land Cruiser rides... rough... THAT is what I want!
Old 05-26-2016, 12:44 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You don't have to convince me.
I have 53,000 miles on my Tundra towing.
The Tundra was my first Toyota, although I wanted a Toyota for 30 years.
Needless to say, from now on I will only buy Toyotas.
We bought a new Avalon last year.
I still drive my 1999 Nissan Pathfinder every day, but when it's gone, no more Nissans for me.
My Tundra CrewMax turns in the same circle as my Pathfinder, which is amazing for such a long and wide truck.
The best mileage I have achieved towing is 13 mpg across I-20 in Texas. I get 15 mpg not towing.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 12:46 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
If you continue to trade every couple of years, get a silver Platinum next time and then sell it to me when you get a new one!
We have a safety consultant who trades every couple of years.
He had a black 2012 Platinum, then a silver 2014 1794 Edition, and now a silver 2016 1794 Edition.
I told him to get a silver Platinum next time and I would buy it when he got ready to trade.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-26-2016, 12:59 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

2003 25' Safari
Grayling , Michigan
The camshaft problem occured on about 10 Tundras and Toyota replaced the engines. GM had lots of camshaft problems with their 305 engins in the late 70 and early 80 models. My Chevy truck had a major problem just after the 12,000 mile warranty expired. I was told they couldnt fix it and I would have to buy a new one. No problems with either the 07 or 12 Tundras and between them am over 200,000 miles. Not even had the brakes redone on either one.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:09 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post

It is not the vehicle's 'useful life'... but my own. If you get my meaning. My odometer is beyond warranty and I want to get the most mileage out of my transmission and cooling system possible.

Life is shorter today than it was 25 years ago. We would like the last check to bounce... but we have been too frugal, invested wisely and wear the same clothes we had years ago that fit.
Priceless!

I had a friend a while back who used to say "when I go, I want people crying at my funeral - at least my creditors."
Old 05-26-2016, 03:18 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The spare on all Tundras is apparently a 17" steel wheel.
My truck has 20" wheels with Bridgestone tires, but a 17" spare with a different type of tire.
The 17" wheel with tall tire may possibly be taller than the 20" wheel with low profile tires.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 05-26-2016, 03:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Currently Looking...
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.hony View Post
The spare on all Tundras is apparently a 17" steel wheel.
My truck has 20" wheels with Bridgestone tires, but a 17" spare with a different type of tire.
The 17" wheel with tall tire may possibly be taller than the 20" wheel with low profile tires.

It would not surprise me that the 2017 models will have a 19th century Wagon Wheel as a spare. I would also be surprised if a 20" wheel would fit for a spare tire, if one was even included.

At least you would not have to add any air and they make nice coffee tables if it were a wagon wheel.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:10 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2002 34' Classic
Wellington , Ontario
2008 Tundra...

Just to add to the comments about a Tundra... have a 2008 with the towing package and a 5.8L engine. Now have about 280,000km (170,00 miles). Did one timing belt so far. Did the brakes twice... and recently had a local garage do them. Asked for "Toyota" parts... I presume they used NAPA Auto Parts... while driving from Canada to Florida this past December... brakes started to fail, overheated, boiled the brake fluid. Went to a Toyota dealer in Tampa and had the other crap brakes removed and had Toyota parts put on... NOW I can stop. Using Toyo summer and then have Toyo winter tires (due to lots of crap ice here). Have no issues with the Toyos. Truck is fabulous. No gimmicks on it. Without the trailer... it is rather scary how much horsepower it has! I pull a 34 foot Airstream with a Hensley hitch... and now that I used to the Hensley, I find it really easy to use and I can hitch and unhitch in minutes! I cruise on the interstates at an easy 65mph... I do not record gas mileage as I find it difficult working in litres and gallons... all part of getting old. We have gone thru some REALLY tough areas like Newfoundland and Gaspe... where the hills are REALLY steep... NO PROBLEMS! I keep forgetting I am pulling a 34 foot... and at least I remember when turning as the damn trailer likes to take short cuts! Had no accidents... yet with turns. Truck is VERY reliable! Never had a problem. JUST changed my muffler on it this winter while in Florida... it rotted from the top... caused by salt from the roads. We use salt here on the roads in Canada to melt ice in the winter... Yup, brakes and muffler were mighty expensive... but... they lasted a LONG time! Trust this helps a bit. Love the truck! Plain but RELIABLE and can SURE pull a trailer! Oh, we have a larger back seat area and a smaller box... forget that this called.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:51 PM   #27
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
Yup, bought a beautiful used 2014 Tundra, last year...5.7L, 4x4, 1794 Edition, CrewMax and love it! We use it, along with our Equalizer hitch, to tow our 2015 Airstream FC 25. We appreciate all of the interior room and it spoils our family of five in first class style.

I did add a Roadmaster Active Suspension kit which I really like. I hear there are better kits out there but I didn't research this at the time.

I only wish, as some 1/2 ton truck owners do, that I didn't have to watch payload so closely and that the brakes were beefier when descending the 10,000'+ passes. On the long, steep declines I just use low gear and take her easy which is fine but will never argue for larger/better brakes. But I went in with eyes "wide open", thanks to this forum, and knew what I was getting myself into with a 1/2 ton. We work with the payload limitations easily enough and I would absolutely purchase the Tundra again.

There are so many great vehicles, trucks and otherwise, out there now. We are all lucky campers . For us, our current choice is the Tundra.
Old 05-26-2016, 05:18 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2012 22' FB Sport
2003 19' Bambi
Port Townsend , Washington
I know Toyotas are great and all - I've had more than a few - but two things keep me from wanting a Tundra -

Seems like they get pretty poor gas mileage.

They're kind of an old school design - body on frame, solid rear axle, really heavy so they need a big thirsty V8 just to break even.