Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-28-2015, 06:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Usually, but not always tie rods let go during low speed "parking lot maneuvers " . That's when the forces of steering with non rolling tires are the greatest. Ball joints...not so much.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I watched the front tires swing outward from a broken tie rod as a Lincoln was trying to pull into the local Ford dealership back in the 60s.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Then there is the Toyota floor mat. Really?
wvstreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:51 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Regarding the Toyota thing, if all cars had a means of turning off the car with a manual disconnect, (i.e a key ignition switch) "runaway" Toyotas would have probably never been an issue.

Remind me to never buy a car without such an archaic devise.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
I grease my tie rods every 4000 miles when I change oil, they are fine. My wife's toyota has a key switch and is a good car. My kW has 1.4 million miles and never repaplaced anything on it, it is all still good, why worry.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:14 PM   #46
Rivet Master

2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
I guess I need to get on the internet tomorrow and fine me an old Ram to trade in.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:19 PM   #47
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
J., I think had there been, we would have already heard about it, and in the total numbers of 4X4 Ram trucks sold, the tie rod end broke on only a very few. However, to have a tie rod end break while driving, no mater the speed, is a pretty major event.

I actually only heard of a few of them on the Cummins Forum, and there was one actual video, as I remember. It gave me major motivation to get mine changed.

However, other brands aren't immune:

Dude! Really! I wouldn't condemn any truck for any kind of breakage in those conditions. Let me count the ways and this actually defends many of my posts over the years:

You may cause damage, premature wear by:

Lifting the truck
Using bigger tires
Chipping or modifying the engine
Exceeding GCWR
Exceeding max trailer weight

If you do, something in the system, the weak link, will fatigue, break, or wear out faster.

The OEM specs are there for many VALID reasons!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:26 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Dude! Really! I wouldn't condemn any truck for any kind of breakage in those conditions. Let me count the ways and this actually defends many of my posts over the years:

Lifting the truck
Using bigger tires
Exceeding GCWR

If you do, something in the system, the weak link, will fatigue, break, or wear out faster.

I know, I know, it's an extreme example, and under any kind of competition, stuff breaks. And IIRC, manufacturers void all warrantees if the vehicle is used in ANY kind of competition.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:27 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdonahoe View Post
I grease my tie rods every 4000 miles when I change oil, they are fine. My wife's toyota has a key switch and is a good car. My kW has 1.4 million miles and never repaplaced anything on it, it is all still good, why worry.
You won't grease the tie rod ends on a Ram truck because they have no fittings.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:32 PM   #50
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Sweet!!!!
I don't plan to mod or push my 2500 like that... Or over expose due to improper loading.

Quote:

Lifting the truck
Using bigger tires
Exceeding GCWR

cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:24 AM   #51
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Steve , On my 2007 dodge 2500 ,there are grease fittings on my tie rod ends, one zerk each, I grease them every 4000 miles when I change the oil.
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 07:11 AM   #53
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Quote:
Usually, but not always tie rods let go during low speed "parking lot maneuvers " . That's when the forces of steering with non rolling tires are the greatest. Ball joints...not so much.
When I was a young kid of 9 years old when I started to drive our farm truck with manual steering my dad taught me -"never turn the steering wheel until you start to move as it is tough on the front end". To this day it is still ingrained into my daily driving.

I have had all the steering recalls done to my truck and it is solid. I knew from the first day of ownership that the truck would perform it's best with the stock size tire and no lift. When I did my research before buying the truck I could see the pattern of trucks that had problems. Typically it was those trucks which had over sized tires and a lift of some sort. The geometry of the whole front end changes. The same with the head gaskets on the Cummins engine. Trucks with head gasket problems are typically those that get hotrodded. From the factory these trucks are designed to go several hundred thousand miles (wear items on the suspension are to be expected).
I did upgrade one aspect of the steering system more as a preventative maintenance. I put in a steering box stabalizer brace. This brace is designed to take much of the stress off of the lower bearing in the steering box. In the future when the ball joints get changed I will likely upgrade those.
What's going to hurt me worse is that the media hype is going to cause depreciation to my truck.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 09:09 AM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
As fate would have it, when I purchased my Cummins diesel engine, it came in a Dodge wrapper. Dodge's historical reliability has been way lower than the Cummins reliability.

I have modified the front steering with braces and upgraded tie rods along with other non-steering mods. Since it came with 17" Michelin tires, I will continue to use that same tire going forward. However, it does look too small with the huge fender opening for the tires.

The handling can best best described as numb. It does not wander, but is not as precise as the Mercedes.

When towing the Classic, my scale numbers are well within the specifications for the axles and tires. When the speed limit allows, I cruise between 62 and 65 and the engine EGT is down around 650 to 750 which means it is not working very hard.

The overall experience to date has been satisfactory with no trips to a dealership for defective parts.

My Airstream experience to date has not been as trouble free.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:11 AM   #55
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I just bought this 2008 Ram 2500 Laramie diesel with 43,000 and love it so far. The day I bought it the PO gave me a airbag recall notice he jus got. I called up a Dodge dealer who said they don't have the parts and don't know when they will.

Then I heard about this buy back thing. I did a VIN search and found 2 closed recalls related to the tie rod issue. I spoke to PO who said he took the truck in and was told the tie rods were a different design that were not affected.

This truck was gently used. Not a tow vehicle. And the PO did impeccable maintenance. Definitey keeping the truck.
Old 07-29-2015, 10:54 AM   #56
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
Just FYI- I recently got a recall notice in the mail for a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee (with Pentastar badging) regarding the gas tank issue. This was not my first notice- I bought the GC in 2013 and recently sold it.
I'm guessing I was the third owner, 20 years and 200k miles later, even I got recall notices in the mail. (even tho the vehicle had factory tow pkg and didn't need their prescribed "fix")
Like they say (in your case) no news is good news
but still check it out
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 10:56 AM   #57
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
The good news is ZJ and WJ owners without the tow package can get a free Class 3 tow hitch installed :-)
SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote