Old 07-28-2015, 08:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Thanx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I doesn't appear so, but you should google "ram death shake" or "death wobble". I saw 1996 and forward as susceptible to this condition. I am not convinced that is what the recall is about though.
Will do. Thank you.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Our Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) was built during the Daimler/Chrysler period. Does anyone know if the steering issue was the same in those models? Seems as if the government might have missed that because of the ownership change at the manufacturer.

In other words, could the hazard be present on my truck? Do I need to let Larry, the mechanic look it over?
The steering problem is tie rod ends braking on the 3/4 ton and above 4WD trucks. The problems with the 1/2 tons were certain date of manufacture rear suspension. It's all in the list I posted.

The "death wobble" as I understand it is also on the 4WD trucks that use a steering gearbox as opposed to rack and pinion on the 1/2 tons, and is caused by excessive play in the steering system. Usually happens on trucks that are "lifted" with large over sized tires and wheels. I've not heard of it happening on a stock height 1/2 ton truck, but that's not to say I hear everything that happens.

Old 07-28-2015, 09:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, I'm not an expert on Ram stuff, but there is a pretty good youtube, which includes 2500 and 3500 and a combination of components; track bar, ball joints, tie rods, gearbox, etc. and excessive wear. Diligent maintenance and repair, IMO, can keep it at bay....but every 80 - 90,000 miles as the author states??????? I know I wouldn't get away with that with my customers' expectations.

My nephew's 1500 ram does it. It does have somewhat larger tires, and while that probably exacerbates it, it's not the root cause, IMO.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 09:50 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
This is not just an issue of "process." People are dying becuase of a design that pretty much stinks of Pinto. Chrysler, Jeep recall from gas tank fires still raising safety concerns - CBS News
Old 07-28-2015, 11:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you are speaking to me...I didn't say it was JUST an issue of process. Good internal Process, with proper checks and balances, leads to timely product resolution as well as reporting to NHTSA. Whether it is just a matter of product improvement or something as serious as this, process must be clear, concise, and enforceable, internally and externally.

As I said, I suspect the fines by NHTSA are a penalty for not reporting properly through the process. That, in no way diminishes the potential ramifications of a product recall issue. NHTSA can't fine for injury or loss of life....that's a civil legal matter. They can fine for non-compliance to governing processes.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-28-2015, 11:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Steve, I'm not an expert on Ram stuff, but there is a pretty good youtube, which includes 2500 and 3500 and a combination of components; track bar, ball joints, tie rods, gearbox, etc. and excessive wear. Diligent maintenance and repair, IMO, can keep it at bay....but every 80 - 90,000 miles as the author states??????? I know I wouldn't get away with that with my customers' expectations.

My nephew's 1500 ram does it. It does have somewhat larger tires, and while that probably exacerbates it, it's not the root cause, IMO.
Rich, you are right, the problem is not because of the big tires and lift, but those things make the symptom present itself sooner. I have watched the youtube videos, and have made several improvements to my truck, and to date with 60+K miles, I have no problems.

The real problem with the 3/4 ton and above 4X4 like you say is the combination of the suspension system, and the steering system. It belongs back in the horse and buggy days.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:55 AM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The death wobble and death shake is commonly reported by some Ram 1500's after doing a strut spacer lift on the ram forums. Usually a result of binding of the CV axle from over extension.
Old 07-28-2015, 02:03 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
It is my understanding that the fine is strictly punitive due to all the abuses of the recall system by Chrysler and GM. When auto makers fail to disclose defects, cover up issues to avoid recall and/or do not properly fix known defects when recalled, it is a violation. As such it is punished with a fine. It is not meant to solve any problem but strictly to punish the offender.

In GM's case this will result in one of the largest class-action lawsuits in automotive history. The Fiat-Chrysler recall and fine is small potatoes.
I concur with RV Dreamer and dznf0g. The fine is purposefully punitive. If the auto companies only had to pay off the few customers with enough pluck and snap to realize the cause of the problem and take action, no defects would get reported or fixed. A financially significant fine, and the prospect of bigger future fines for repeating the same behavior, may make the manufacturers build better products and report properly when they screw up. It's about the only tool the regulators have to get senior management's attention.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There is never going to be a perfect car line, never. It is not possible.

Regarding the reporting stuff, government likes to implement regulations that have little to nothing to do with getting the job done, these regulations are "subject to interpretation" meaning what is considered "compliant" one year is not considered compliant the next year.

There is more to this story than meets the eye.

I say this as NOT a Chrysler fan.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 03:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Truth or government overreach?

Is there anyone on here that has had his or her Ram front suspension break off?

I would like to know.

Old 07-28-2015, 05:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
J., I think had there been, we would have already heard about it, and in the total numbers of 4X4 Ram trucks sold, the tie rod end broke on only a very few. However, to have a tie rod end break while driving, no mater the speed, is a pretty major event.

I actually only heard of a few of them on the Cummins Forum, and there was one actual video, as I remember. It gave me major motivation to get mine changed.

However, other brands aren't immune:
Old 07-28-2015, 05:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Dropped a lower ball joint out of my 82 Chevy 1/2 ton, thankfully at low speed. 15 minutes earlier and it might have been bad.

It was a replacement joint that I was hearing click. I had taken it back to the shop the week before for them to look at but they found nothing.....

Old 07-28-2015, 07:43 PM   #41
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Usually, but not always tie rods let go during low speed "parking lot maneuvers " . That's when the forces of steering with non rolling tires are the greatest. Ball joints...not so much.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
I watched the front tires swing outward from a broken tie rod as a Lincoln was trying to pull into the local Ford dealership back in the 60s.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote