Old 07-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
If in "punative" you mean it will make them think twice before screwing up again, I hardly see that as overreach.

I got a recall notice couple of months ago for a problem that had been occurring for a lot of owners for years. The recall said the problem could "cause a crash without warning". It went on to say that parts for the repair were not yet available and they'd contact me when they were. Parts are still not available months later. That's crazy. I'll bet a punitive action would make them find a way have those parts become available.

Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne&Sam View Post
If in "punative" you mean it will make them think twice before screwing up again, I hardly see that as overreach.

I got a recall notice couple of months ago for a problem that had been occurring for a lot of owners for years. The recall said the problem could "cause a crash without warning". It went on to say that parts for the repair were not yet available and they'd contact me when they were. Parts are still not available months later. That's crazy. I'll bet a punitive action would make them find a way have those parts become available.
Not necessarily. In the case of the Ign Switch recall, the affected parts were in older cars...obsolete parts...and suppliers were either out of business or could not handle the large quantity of parts required. This required a phased approach to releasing parts.

If they aint available....it takes time to source, tool, produce and deliver. Sometimes a lot of time. But NHTSA requires a notification within 3 days of recognizing an issue, releases a press release a day or two after that. Thus, the long lag time between press and parts.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
My truck was recalled for the tie rod issue. The problem was not that the thing was falling off, they were braking after being stressed from off roading. They replaced both tie rod ends, and the tie rod.

Then later I read they ceased replacing them because the replacements were found also to be defective. I read there was one fatality and many crashes as result of tie rod ends failing while people were just driving along. Sure hope mine doesn't fail.

The main problem was FCA was not replacing them fast enough to suit the government. I don't know if my truck will be involved in the buy back, but if it is, so be it.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
I already checked, mine is not affected by the buy back. No open recalls.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:19 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
What I have deciphered is the only 1/2 tons involved are the '08 Megacabs. Didn't even know they ever built one, and I don't know what is different about their steering system, but it could also be some other recall.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup - for anyone who wants to see if their vehicle has open recalls.
Old 07-27-2015, 04:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Overreach? Maybe, maybe not.

While issues with my truck are not on the list in the announcement, I am less than impressed with Chrysler's handling of recalls on my truck. It has had the diesel fuel heater connector recall pending on it since October 2014. When I bought it, I registered with FCA, so they know who I am and I was under the impression that they were supposed to send me a letter about the recall. They did not. I bought the truck in February, and have been checking online and with the dealer periodically, but the recall has been "pending availability of parts" until I took it in last week. I was told when I picked it up that the repair was made, but the recall website has not yet been updated to show it completed on my truck. That may just be a normal time lag, but 10 months to come up with the parts to repair an admitted potential fire hazard seems excessive to me.

With regard to "Who cares if someone else's steering control fails.", what if that other person's truck lost steering control, crossed the median and hit you head on? Maybe this should have had a jk emoticon after it.

I remember houses burning down because of the Ford truck master brake cylinder electrical issue, and reports indicate 124 deaths are linked to the GM ignition recall.

Seems like some oversight is justified.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Seems like some oversight is justified"

Indeed it is. For many reasons...most of which are not nefarious, although that's what folks like to believe and BS about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-27-2015, 05:24 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
[QUOTE=dznf0g;1659223]Not necessarily. In the case of the Ign Switch recall, the affected parts were in older cars...obsolete parts...and suppliers were either out of business or could not handle the large quantity of parts required. This required a phased approach to releasing parts./QUOTE]

The reason the parts were obsolete is because GM chose to hide the issue for a decade rather than fix the problem when they knew about it. This is the reason GM is now under fire with punitive damages, fines, and lawsuits. They were purposely hiding the Ign Switch issues rather than issuing a recall.
Old 07-27-2015, 05:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=RVDreamer;1659280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not necessarily. In the case of the Ign Switch recall, the affected parts were in older cars...obsolete parts...and suppliers were either out of business or could not handle the large quantity of parts required. This required a phased approach to releasing parts./QUOTE]

The reason the parts were obsolete is because GM chose to hide the issue for a decade rather than fix the problem when they knew about it. This is the reason GM is now under fire with punitive damages, fines, and lawsuits. They were purposely hiding the Ign Switch issues rather than issuing a recall.
Not entirely true, but I am not at liberty to discuss, as there is ongoing legal activity, sorry, I'd like to....maybe over a campfire someday....when it's all over.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:49 AM   #25
Zil
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
egg harbor city , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

With regard to "Who cares if someone else's steering control fails.", what if that other person's truck lost steering control, crossed the median and hit you head on? Maybe this should have had a jk emoticon after it.

Seems like some oversight is justified.

Al
You got it.
Yes, I forgot the sarcastic tone can not be typed.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Found this information today:

Which cars are in the buyback program?
The buyback program applies to the following vehicles:
  • 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickup trucks built from Feb. 27, 2008, through June 30, 2009, and Dec. 1, 2009, through Oct. 20, 2011. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota pickups built from Feb. 27, 2007, through June 30, 2009, and Dec. 1, 2009, through Sept. 30, 2011. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009 Dodge Durango SUVs built from Jan. 3. 2008, through Dec. 18, 2008. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009 Chrysler Aspen SUVs built from Jan. 3, 2008, to Dec. 18, 2008. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 4500 and 5500 heavy-duty trucks built from Feb. 20, 2007, through Dec. 22, 2012. These were recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups with four-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 3500 chassis-cab pickups with rear-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab pickups with four-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
And this:

None of the programs will apply to owners who already got their cars fixed for a fuel system recall on the Jeeps or a suspension or steering system recall on the others.

https://www.cars.com/articles/chrysl...1420680933813/
Old 07-28-2015, 08:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Weatherford , Texas
Our Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) was built during the Daimler/Chrysler period. Does anyone know if the steering issue was the same in those models? Seems as if the government might have missed that because of the ownership change at the manufacturer.

In other words, could the hazard be present on my truck? Do I need to let Larry, the mechanic look it over?
Old 07-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Our Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) was built during the Daimler/Chrysler period. Does anyone know if the steering issue was the same in those models? Seems as if the government might have missed that because of the ownership change at the manufacturer.

In other words, could the hazard be present on my truck? Do I need to let Larry, the mechanic look it over?
I doesn't appear so, but you should google "ram death shake" or "death wobble". I saw 1996 and forward as susceptible to this condition. I am not convinced that is what the recall is about though.