Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-27-2015, 03:42 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Overreach? Maybe, maybe not.

While issues with my truck are not on the list in the announcement, I am less than impressed with Chrysler's handling of recalls on my truck. It has had the diesel fuel heater connector recall pending on it since October 2014. When I bought it, I registered with FCA, so they know who I am and I was under the impression that they were supposed to send me a letter about the recall. They did not. I bought the truck in February, and have been checking online and with the dealer periodically, but the recall has been "pending availability of parts" until I took it in last week. I was told when I picked it up that the repair was made, but the recall website has not yet been updated to show it completed on my truck. That may just be a normal time lag, but 10 months to come up with the parts to repair an admitted potential fire hazard seems excessive to me.

With regard to "Who cares if someone else's steering control fails.", what if that other person's truck lost steering control, crossed the median and hit you head on? Maybe this should have had a jk emoticon after it.

I remember houses burning down because of the Ford truck master brake cylinder electrical issue, and reports indicate 124 deaths are linked to the GM ignition recall.

Seems like some oversight is justified.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
"Seems like some oversight is justified"

Indeed it is. For many reasons...most of which are not nefarious, although that's what folks like to believe and BS about.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #23
4 Rivet Member

Durango , Colorado
[QUOTE=dznf0g;1659223]Not necessarily. In the case of the Ign Switch recall, the affected parts were in older cars...obsolete parts...and suppliers were either out of business or could not handle the large quantity of parts required. This required a phased approach to releasing parts./QUOTE]

The reason the parts were obsolete is because GM chose to hide the issue for a decade rather than fix the problem when they knew about it. This is the reason GM is now under fire with punitive damages, fines, and lawsuits. They were purposely hiding the Ign Switch issues rather than issuing a recall.
RVDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 04:38 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
[QUOTE=RVDreamer;1659280]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
Not necessarily. In the case of the Ign Switch recall, the affected parts were in older cars...obsolete parts...and suppliers were either out of business or could not handle the large quantity of parts required. This required a phased approach to releasing parts./QUOTE]

The reason the parts were obsolete is because GM chose to hide the issue for a decade rather than fix the problem when they knew about it. This is the reason GM is now under fire with punitive damages, fines, and lawsuits. They were purposely hiding the Ign Switch issues rather than issuing a recall.
Not entirely true, but I am not at liberty to discuss, as there is ongoing legal activity, sorry, I'd like to....maybe over a campfire someday....when it's all over.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 07-28-2015, 06:49 AM   #25
Zil
4 Rivet Member

Curtis Wright
Currently Looking...
Eyren Haven , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al and Missy View Post

With regard to "Who cares if someone else's steering control fails.", what if that other person's truck lost steering control, crossed the median and hit you head on? Maybe this should have had a jk emoticon after it.

Seems like some oversight is justified.

Al
You got it.
Yes, I forgot the sarcastic tone can not be typed.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:55 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Found this information today:

Which cars are in the buyback program?
The buyback program applies to the following vehicles:
  • 2009-2012 Ram 1500 pickup trucks built from Feb. 27, 2008, through June 30, 2009, and Dec. 1, 2009, through Oct. 20, 2011. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009-2011 Dodge Dakota pickups built from Feb. 27, 2007, through June 30, 2009, and Dec. 1, 2009, through Sept. 30, 2011. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009 Dodge Durango SUVs built from Jan. 3. 2008, through Dec. 18, 2008. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2009 Chrysler Aspen SUVs built from Jan. 3, 2008, to Dec. 18, 2008. These were recalled in 2013 for rear suspension problems.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 4500 and 5500 heavy-duty trucks built from Feb. 20, 2007, through Dec. 22, 2012. These were recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 2500 and 3500 pickups with four-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008-2012 Ram 3500 chassis-cab pickups with rear-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
  • 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Mega Cab pickups with four-wheel drive, recalled in 2013 for problems with the steering system.
And this:

None of the programs will apply to owners who already got their cars fixed for a fuel system recall on the Jeeps or a suspension or steering system recall on the others.

https://www.cars.com/articles/chrysl...1420680933813/
Old 07-28-2015, 07:31 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Our Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) was built during the Daimler/Chrysler period. Does anyone know if the steering issue was the same in those models? Seems as if the government might have missed that because of the ownership change at the manufacturer.

In other words, could the hazard be present on my truck? Do I need to let Larry, the mechanic look it over?
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 07:37 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post
Our Dodge Ram 1500 (2001) was built during the Daimler/Chrysler period. Does anyone know if the steering issue was the same in those models? Seems as if the government might have missed that because of the ownership change at the manufacturer.

In other words, could the hazard be present on my truck? Do I need to let Larry, the mechanic look it over?
I doesn't appear so, but you should google "ram death shake" or "death wobble". I saw 1996 and forward as susceptible to this condition. I am not convinced that is what the recall is about though.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #29
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
Hilltop Lakes , Texas
Thanx

Quote:
I doesn't appear so, but you should google "ram death shake" or "death wobble". I saw 1996 and forward as susceptible to this condition. I am not convinced that is what the recall is about though.
Will do. Thank you.
mimiandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 08:11 AM   #30
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandrews View Post

The steering problem is tie rod ends braking on the 3/4 ton and above 4WD trucks. The problems with the 1/2 tons were certain date of manufacture rear suspension. It's all in the list I posted.

The "death wobble" as I understand it is also on the 4WD trucks that use a steering gearbox as opposed to rack and pinion on the 1/2 tons, and is caused by excessive play in the steering system. Usually happens on trucks that are "lifted" with large over sized tires and wheels. I've not heard of it happening on a stock height 1/2 ton truck, but that's not to say I hear everything that happens.
Old 07-28-2015, 08:18 AM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Steve, I'm not an expert on Ram stuff, but there is a pretty good youtube, which includes 2500 and 3500 and a combination of components; track bar, ball joints, tie rods, gearbox, etc. and excessive wear. Diligent maintenance and repair, IMO, can keep it at bay....but every 80 - 90,000 miles as the author states??????? I know I wouldn't get away with that with my customers' expectations.

My nephew's 1500 ram does it. It does have somewhat larger tires, and while that probably exacerbates it, it's not the root cause, IMO.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:50 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Boise , Idaho
This is not just an issue of "process." People are dying becuase of a design that pretty much stinks of Pinto. Chrysler, Jeep recall from gas tank fires still raising safety concerns - CBS News
Jamespio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 10:17 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
If you are speaking to me...I didn't say it was JUST an issue of process. Good internal Process, with proper checks and balances, leads to timely product resolution as well as reporting to NHTSA. Whether it is just a matter of product improvement or something as serious as this, process must be clear, concise, and enforceable, internally and externally.

As I said, I suspect the fines by NHTSA are a penalty for not reporting properly through the process. That, in no way diminishes the potential ramifications of a product recall issue. NHTSA can't fine for injury or loss of life....that's a civil legal matter. They can fine for non-compliance to governing processes.

Old 07-28-2015, 10:43 AM   #34
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Steve, I'm not an expert on Ram stuff, but there is a pretty good youtube, which includes 2500 and 3500 and a combination of components; track bar, ball joints, tie rods, gearbox, etc. and excessive wear. Diligent maintenance and repair, IMO, can keep it at bay....but every 80 - 90,000 miles as the author states??????? I know I wouldn't get away with that with my customers' expectations.

My nephew's 1500 ram does it. It does have somewhat larger tires, and while that probably exacerbates it, it's not the root cause, IMO.
Rich, you are right, the problem is not because of the big tires and lift, but those things make the symptom present itself sooner. I have watched the youtube videos, and have made several improvements to my truck, and to date with 60+K miles, I have no problems.

The real problem with the 3/4 ton and above 4X4 like you say is the combination of the suspension system, and the steering system. It belongs back in the horse and buggy days.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:55 AM   #35
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The death wobble and death shake is commonly reported by some Ram 1500's after doing a strut spacer lift on the ram forums. Usually a result of binding of the CV axle from over extension.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #36
1 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDreamer View Post
It is my understanding that the fine is strictly punitive due to all the abuses of the recall system by Chrysler and GM. When auto makers fail to disclose defects, cover up issues to avoid recall and/or do not properly fix known defects when recalled, it is a violation. As such it is punished with a fine. It is not meant to solve any problem but strictly to punish the offender.

In GM's case this will result in one of the largest class-action lawsuits in automotive history. The Fiat-Chrysler recall and fine is small potatoes.
I concur with RV Dreamer and dznf0g. The fine is purposefully punitive. If the auto companies only had to pay off the few customers with enough pluck and snap to realize the cause of the problem and take action, no defects would get reported or fixed. A financially significant fine, and the prospect of bigger future fines for repeating the same behavior, may make the manufacturers build better products and report properly when they screw up. It's about the only tool the regulators have to get senior management's attention.
tomterrific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
There is never going to be a perfect car line, never. It is not possible.

Regarding the reporting stuff, government likes to implement regulations that have little to nothing to do with getting the job done, these regulations are "subject to interpretation" meaning what is considered "compliant" one year is not considered compliant the next year.

There is more to this story than meets the eye.

I say this as NOT a Chrysler fan.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 02:46 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Truth or government overreach?

Is there anyone on here that has had his or her Ram front suspension break off?

I would like to know.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:31 PM   #39
Rivet Master

Common Sense , Texas
J., I think had there been, we would have already heard about it, and in the total numbers of 4X4 Ram trucks sold, the tie rod end broke on only a very few. However, to have a tie rod end break while driving, no mater the speed, is a pretty major event.

I actually only heard of a few of them on the Cummins Forum, and there was one actual video, as I remember. It gave me major motivation to get mine changed.

However, other brands aren't immune:
Old 07-28-2015, 04:52 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Dropped a lower ball joint out of my 82 Chevy 1/2 ton, thankfully at low speed. 15 minutes earlier and it might have been bad.

It was a replacement joint that I was hearing click. I had taken it back to the shop the week before for them to look at but they found nothing.....