Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-16-2011, 12:47 AM   #21
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Talking

Thanks REDNAX. I appreciate the thoughtful information. You confirmed my suspicions that the Touneau will slightly outperform the cab-height topper. I figured that I would lose 1 to 2 mpg. I can tolerate that so that I have more storage.

Love the Airstream but it is short on storage after living full-time in a 37' fifth wheel for 5 years.

My plan is to use a cab-height topper, put in a bed slide and fit that with shelves to store seal-tight containers, a good air compressor, and a 2000W quiet generator. Ahhh, all the comforts of home for our 6 month trips.

I am soooo looking forward to retirement in 2 years.

Would you rather have a mansion full of money or a trailer full of love?
Secguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 01:05 PM   #22
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I too am amazed with the mpg's you posted. I have an '06 Dodge 5.9 with the megacab. I have a Leer cap. I bought the truck second hand so I have no pre-cap vs w/cap mpg's to share. Mine is a 4x4 3500 and I have gotten 22+ mpg on the highway and 18 or so around town. Towing my Airstream 30'er I seem to run around 15-17 depending on the terrain. Boy what I would give to see anything near 30mpg's. Whatever you're doing, keep it up. I do like the Leer cap. It looks good and is painted to match. It also has a sliding bed insert. That was something that I don't think I would have purchased. It came with the truck and I live it. Saves my back when I need to put stuff in or get it out. Pretty heavy duty too. I've had about 1000# of bricks on a pallet on it.

Keep it up. Love those Dodges

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:49 AM   #23
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
How to get High Fuel Economy

There have been a lot of questions about how I get over 30 mpg from my Dodge 2500 HD Diesel (automatic 4X4).

Aside from selecting a truck that was “broken-in” for high gas mileage, here are my driving techniques:

1 – Never use cruise control. Cruise control maintains a constant speed at the expense of fuel economy. You can drive a reasonably steady speed without cruse and get far better mpg.

2 – No aggressive driving. Rapid changes in speed are the enemy of mpg.

3 – No “Hurry Up and Wait” driving. Time spent at stoplights is wasted mileage. Lift your foot off the pedal and let the vehicle slow down before braking when the light ahead is red.

4 – Leave ample room between cars. This allows you to set the pace, instead of the car ahead of you.

5 – Drive “Anti-Traffic”. When you see traffic turning into freeway stop-n-go waves of traffic, break up the traffic jam by modulating the pace of traffic so that you are not in a stop-n-go pattern. You will benefit, and so will all the traffic behind you.

6 – Take it easy. Anticipate stops, take your foot off the pedal well before the stoplight and slowly accelerate away from stoplights.

Doing these things, you can dramatically reduce stops, which are the ultimate mpg killer.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:56 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
SECguru
I believe ya got it. IF you actually practice what ya preach. Then that kind of mileage is possible. Our Truck weighs in a about 8k lbs. We get 14 city and 20 highway and 16 towing. I calculate fuel mileage the old fashion way. gals and miles. With a calculator.
I have tried before to tell people here how to drive a diesel . Gentle throttle,pace driving,spacing between cars,timing of lites. No Jackrabbit starts and stops. So what if traffic is passin ya, let em go.You will get there. PEOPLE ya have to give the ole diesel time to make its torque/power and then comes the speed. It's a whole different ball game then drivin a gas job. I drove over the road for 45 yrs and got what I consider great mileage for an 80k lb vehicle, after all, I was the one payin the fuel and tire bill. Sorry I think I forgot the subject. We use a 8ft solid(no windows) cab high wedge cap.Look at all the big trucks and see that they are wedge shaped ,those are aero packages to increase fuel mileage.
Ok off my rant
Hope to see ya all DOWN DA ROAD
Roger
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
KA8LMQ
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:41 AM   #25
Be Calm, Have a Cupcake

Vintage Kin Owner
Houston , Texas
Thanks Mike.

Good to know that I'm not a complete idiot for driving the way I do. Like you said:
- We're paying for the Gas
- And the Tires
- And avoiding the accidents that aggressive driving can cause

Old 02-20-2011, 04:57 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

I have a campertop on my 7.3 PowerStroke. I think it does not negatively affect fuel mileage. It may actually help.

Loaded with camping equipment but not towing, I can achieve 21mpg with AC on at 70 mph. Weight is about 8000 pounds.

Towing at a speed of 55 to 60 mph with AC on, I achieve between 14 and 17 mpg. My last long trip (about 4000 miles) achieved 14.7 mpg. Weight is about 15000 pounds.

As noted, I don't think the campertop cut my mileage. It probably enhances my efficiency, besides realizing the main purpose of keeping all my camping junk high and dry.
Airstreamer67 is offline   Reply With Quote