Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2018, 07:54 PM   #1

San antonio , Texas
Truck for towing

Looking at a International Serenity 27FB. Need to know if a Ford150 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is adequate for towing.
Mollie11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:04 PM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Ah, this is a contentious topic. I tow my Flying Cloud 26U with a '17 3.5 Ecoboost with the Max Tow pkg (that I ordered through Northside Ford just the way I wanted it... we're in SA as well.) I have no complaints, but we're both still working so we're not doing month-long trips carrying our anvil collection and enough cast iron to outfit a couple of cattle drives. For half-timing or full-timing I'd want an incoveniently-long bigger truck with huge payload and a tray system under a topper, but we've done 10-day trips including boondocking and mountain passes and again, I have no complaints.

Our FC scales out around 6500 lb loaded for travel (food, booze & clothes, full fresh water, empty waste tanks.) If we had a 30' trailer I might want a bigger truck, or at least a fancier hitch (I use a Blue Ox Swaypro currently.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:39 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Jasper , Georgia
We have a 2p16 27' international serenity
Runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:41 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

As to your question, it may depend on how you plan to use your Airstream. Occasional use over short distances, the answer is most likely yes. Major trip cross country, you might want a tow vehicle with more payload capacity.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2018, 08:54 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Jasper , Georgia
Sorry for the abbreviated reply, we love our 2017 Ford f250 diesel for towing. Never any issues here in Appalachia towing. The engine braking system is fantastic on the mountain passes and the fx4 option gives excellent ground clearance, traction in gravel and rain soaked terrain. Very plush interior and plenty space with the extended cab. We d an f150 eco boost and it was good but no engine braking and the extra diesel power and weight make all the difference.
Runaground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
quick answer: i sure hope so...

...because we are taking delivery of our new-to-us 2017 Serenity 27FB in a few weeks, and the current tow vehicle plan is a 2016 F150 EB 3.5L SUpercrew 4X4. The truck was a leftover (almost a year on the lot) and has everything we wanted for towing except the tow mirrors - go figure. But as a Platinum, it is somewhat of a *pig* (can i say that?) with the yellow door sticker declaring a payload of 1,568 lbs. So, like others have said, we will leave our anvil collection at home and try this RV thing out for a few years. Calculations and the local scale indicate we have ample "room" in the Gross Vehicle Axle Weight category, assuming about 800# tongue weight and a weight distribution hitch.
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 03:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjshier View Post
...because we are taking delivery of our new-to-us 2017 Serenity 27FB in a few weeks, and the current tow vehicle plan is a 2016 F150 EB 3.5L SUpercrew 4X4. The truck was a leftover (almost a year on the lot) and has everything we wanted for towing except the tow mirrors - go figure. But as a Platinum, it is somewhat of a *pig* (can i say that?) with the yellow door sticker declaring a payload of 1,568 lbs. So, like others have said, we will leave our anvil collection at home and try this RV thing out for a few years. Calculations and the local scale indicate we have ample "room" in the Gross Vehicle Axle Weight category, assuming about 800# tongue weight and a weight distribution hitch.
Since you already have the truck, why not just try it? All these threads run pretty much the same. None of these trucks will explode if you go over payload by a few pounds. Just make sure everything is level.

I use a bigger truck for my 27’ so can’t comment on the EB. Just get used to the acceleration with the 27’ hooked up.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:33 AM   #8

San antonio , Texas
[QUOTE=pjshier;2084451]...because we are taking delivery of our new-to-us 2017 Serenity 27FB in a few weeks, and the current tow vehicle plan is a 2016 F150 EB 3.5L SUpercrew 4X4. The truck was a leftover (almost a year on the lot) and has everything we wanted for towing except the tow mirrors - go figure. But as a Platinum, it is somewhat of a *pig* (can i say that?) with the yellow door sticker declaring a payload of 1,568 lbs. So, like others have said, we will leave our anvil collection at home and try this RV thing out for a few years. Calculations and the local scale indicate we have ample "room" in the Gross Vehicle Axle Weight category, assuming about 800# tongue weight and a weight
Old 04-04-2018, 05:34 AM   #9

San antonio , Texas
Thank you so much. Very informative.
Old 04-05-2018, 12:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 27' International
Wasilla , Alaska
Yes, Countryboy59, plan is to use the "truck we own" for a few years of punctuated part time. It should be entirely adequate. However, i am cursed with the experience of being both a pilot and a former "ice road trucker" here in AK. Preference is not to approach the limits. But on the road with an RV and weighing less than 80,000 lbs., i can learn to relax a bit! And this truck has GREAT instrumentation!
pjshier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Missouri Valley , Iowa
We have a 2015 F150 SCrew 5.5' box and the 3.5 EcoBoost engine. We now pull a 2016 Flying Cloud 26U. It weighs 6620# with 840# of that on the tongue. We previously towed an '02 30' Classic w / slide. It weighed about 8400# empty. The truck pulled either one easily. So, I don't think you will have any problems with the Serenity 27FB. FWIW, we use a 1,000# / 10,000# Equalizer hitch that I am very happy with.

Dan
Farmer Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:03 PM   #12
honi soit qui mal y pense

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Smile Research and cruise this forum

A few thoughts: 1. Define your future camping experiences. Mountains? Long trips? Lots of passengers? 2. Is fuel mileage important? 3. Do you want to get out into traffic easily? 4. What is your budget? 5. Do you have an open mind about GM, Ford, or Ram? 6. Gas or diesel? 7. Do you have a trusted mechanic nearby? 8. Is resale value important? Lots of things to consider before narrowing your choices. The folks on this forum may or may not be helpful. Always remember, the value of information is directly proportional to the $$ spent including the forgoing.
2016 Chev Silverado LT Crew 4x4
Robere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 06:41 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie11 View Post
Looking at a International Serenity 27FB. Need to know if a Ford150 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is adequate for towing.
Welcome to the forum!

Is it adequate, yes.

Can you tow with more ease and more control, yes.

You must decide on what you will use the truck for when not towing as well as how you want to tow.

Very personal choice for certain.

We decided on a Ram 2500, diesel for the payload (stuff in the truck + tongue weight) as well as the pulling power (torque). It fit what we needed.

Happy hunting!
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:22 AM   #14
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
TW doesn’t count into payload in the real world. Only in the imaginary RV one. With a WD hitch it is divided among the TT axles and TV axles. “Payload” is pretty much all on the TV rear axle. That will be less than 40% of TW. Payload itself isn’t any way to measure the effect of TW once WD is applied. One uses axle/tire ratings.

The truck is adequate (all that can said for any pickup), as there are better TVs, by far.

Steering, braking and handling are paramount. In which pickups are worst.

TT weight is a distraction. Almost, but not quite relevant. TT design (shape and suspension) are what matter. (One can come up with a 3000-lb trailer that a semi can barely move )

TT “weight” is a problem solved by hitch rigging.

It’s frequent citation as reason to buy one version or another of a farm vehicle is simply proof of ignorance.

“Need” a pickup? The test is easy. IRS-applicable miles, job description and the type and weight of gear that CANNOT be carried in the TT or TV passenger compartment.

All miles. Not just on vacation.

Listen to the only the answers one wishes wishes to hear? That’s acceptance of worst possible road performance.

Explanations abound. As does relevant experience. Also known as common sense. This company would have failed were pickups required

Take your time.

slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:56 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowmover View Post
TW doesn’t count into payload in the real world. Only in the imaginary RV one. With a WD hitch it is divided among the TT axles and TV axles. “Payload” is pretty much all on the TV rear axle. That will be less than 40% of TW. Payload itself isn’t any way to measure the effect of TW once WD is applied. One uses axle/tire ratings.
While I know your up on your usual soapbox and that's fine, every vehicle has a payload capacity, whether you prefer to look at GVWR or each GAWR combined, the vehicle is only designed to carry so much weight, supported by the tires in contact with the ground. This is the same whether it is a boulder in the bed or a trailer hooked on the hitch ball, the difference between your starting setup and your ultimate tow is your PAYLOAD, no matter which numbers you believe.

Whether you use a WDH or not, the number is the same, if you use a WDH it moves some load of the TV wheels and you can carry something else, if you don't it's all supported and you can't.

It doesn't matter if you've got 300M or an F350, the process works the same

Yes, steering, braking and control are the most important thing, which is why a 3,500lb TV trying to control a 10,000lb trailer (even with huge multi piston disc brakes) on a step descent, during an OH-**** moment is not going to fare as well as an 8,700lb high center of gravity F350. The leverageability (my word) of that trailer over that TV will easily cause it to break ground contact sooner and once it's broken it doesn't matter how good your brakes are, if you have IFS or how fast you can do a slalom course.

Sure on level ground weaving around cones with pulling tension on the hitch, the 300M wins every time, but even big rigs jackknife and they're are supposedly designed for what they do. Maybe they should use cars for that too.

Everything is about driver responsibility, knowing how to behave and react. Obviously an F350 will roll wayyyyy before a 300M, but if a driver doesn't try to overreact/correct then this would be mitigated greatly.

Maintaining safe speed and distance will make every vehicle safe enough to tow with, whether the vehicle can handle/survive the ordeal is a different discussion.
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
You would be a fool if you don’t factor your payload total for the truck.
“Not a factor in real world” That statement is so wrong and can NOT be backed up in any way except his “relative experience”.

The closer the trailer weight puts the TV vehicle toward its GCVWR the higher the risk of sway or roll on downhill curves.
There is an obvious reason to why the larger the vehicle the larger the tow capacity.

Again, you CAN tow with a smaller TV. Unless you HAVE to, why would you “force” it to?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:03 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
Quote:
Yes it is. I have the exact same setup. Been to Alaska and back. Towed over long 9% grades up and down with ease. Unless you plan to haul motorcycles or other very heavy stuff in the truck bed you really don't need a heavy duty truck.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 02:02 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Lakes Region , New Hampshire
Quote:
Sorry, I realized that in my other post I neglected the original question. Properly set up, an 3.5L EcoBoost F150 is quite adequate for the job. I didn't mean to imply it had to be F350
RandyNH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:51 PM   #19
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyNH View Post
While I know your up on your usual soapbox and that's fine, every vehicle has a payload capacity, whether you prefer to look at GVWR or each GAWR combined, the vehicle is only designed to carry so much weight, supported by the tires in contact with the ground. This is the same whether it is a boulder in the bed or a trailer hooked on the hitch ball, the difference between your starting setup and your ultimate tow is your PAYLOAD, no matter which numbers you believe.

Whether you use a WDH or not, the number is the same, if you use a WDH it moves some load of the TV wheels and you can carry something else, if you don't it's all supported and you can't.

It doesn't matter if you've got 300M or an F350, the process works the same

Yes, steering, braking and control are the most important thing, which is why a 3,500lb TV trying to control a 10,000lb trailer (even with huge multi piston disc brakes) on a step descent, during an OH-**** moment is not going to fare as well as an 8,700lb high center of gravity F350. The leverageability (my word) of that trailer over that TV will easily cause it to break ground contact sooner and once it's broken it doesn't matter how good your brakes are, if you have IFS or how fast you can do a slalom course.

Sure on level ground weaving around cones with pulling tension on the hitch, the 300M wins every time, but even big rigs jackknife and they're are supposedly designed for what they do. Maybe they should use cars for that too.

Everything is about driver responsibility, knowing how to behave and react. Obviously an F350 will roll wayyyyy before a 300M, but if a driver doesn't try to overreact/correct then this would be mitigated greatly.

Maintaining safe speed and distance will make every vehicle safe enough to tow with, whether the vehicle can handle/survive the ordeal is a different discussion.
I used cars the first twenty years. Trucks or truck types the thirty since then. There’s still no comparison worthy. And everyone has bad days.

Best design trumps all else. That’s a soapbox? Or your refusal to use common sense. To test.

If as you say were so, I’d never see a pickup pulling a trailer on its front axle. And NEVER above 55. Those would be evidence of responsible operation. Good luck finding it.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 07:56 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
I have a 28’ International. Tow with a 2017 Ford F-150 XLT 3.5 Ecoboost with max tow package (36 gallon tank). Get about 12mpg when towing. Use a Propride Hitch. Works great. No sway. Steady in wind and traffic. Have plenty of power. Now if I was a pulling for longer periods (months on the road) then I would probably get a 3/4 ton with heavier components and payload. Not sure I would get a diesel due to the maintenance hassles and expensive repairs if something fails. But would definitely consider it.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote