Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Towing, Tow Vehicles & Hitches > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
I will admit that I was impressed by the Ford 3.5 Ecoboost results from the Gauntlet tow test.

I have always liked the F150 ride.

Only negative I see is after a bed cap you have a small payload for crap. Although that can be worked around I suppose in the trailer?
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I have a 2017 28’ International that is being squired around by a 53k mile F250 Lariat diesel. I thought long and hard about replacing my TV with a new 3/4 ton but my TV looks brand new and actually has a fairly nice quiet ride. I love the full sized bed for our bikes and all the cool camping stuff I’ve acquired. The best thing is our 28’ Serenity respects the weight and power of the F250 and does not get “bossy”. The second best thing is the money I’ve spent to bullet proof my 2005 is significantly less than what it would cost to replace it.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 08:19 AM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Southampton , New Jersey
I have a 2017 Chevy 2500 High Country Crew cab singe rear wheel Diesel Pickup and we have a 2018 27FBQ Serenity with the ProPride hitch.
And let me tell you that it rides, tows and stops almost like the trailer isn't there.
When the truck is empty it rides beautifully as well.
I honestly cant imagine a better truck for the job
joeifagroup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2018, 08:51 AM   #24
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't know much about Ford's EcoBoost offering, but I've heard good things about it.

My perspective changed dramatically on my last trip through Yellowstone. Those that have braved the east entrance, we did, only left that way and took 16 (the more mild version) through the mountains toward Cody know what I'm talking about.

I could tell my 6.0L 3/4 ton Burb was really working to not only get itself through the mountains, but the 6300+lb Safari. I don't know if I'd want to try it with a turbo V-6, heck even the semis with more power than I had were struggling.

Mountain towing and I mean real mountain towing is vastly different than flatland or a few hills at grade. These mountains I speak of had 6-8% grades that lasted upwards of 5 miles at a time. I think if money were no object, if I were going to be doing this regularly, I think diesel is the way to go with gobs of torque at low RPMs.

I'd be real interested in hearing some EcoBoost folks chime in about some similar mountain towing.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
There is a difference between be capable of towing and being comfortable in towing your AS. I prefer comfort and confidence. IMHO for your size AS a 3/4 ton TV would be optimal.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
I don't know much about Ford's EcoBoost offering, but I've heard good things about it.

My perspective changed dramatically on my last trip through Yellowstone. Those that have braved the east entrance, we did, only left that way and took 16 (the more mild version) through the mountains toward Cody know what I'm talking about.

I could tell my 6.0L 3/4 ton Burb was really working to not only get itself through the mountains, but the 6300+lb Safari. I don't know if I'd want to try it with a turbo V-6, heck even the semis with more power than I had were struggling.

Mountain towing and I mean real mountain towing is vastly different than flatland or a few hills at grade. These mountains I speak of had 6-8% grades that lasted upwards of 5 miles at a time. I think if money were no object, if I were going to be doing this regularly, I think diesel is the way to go with gobs of torque at low RPMs.

I'd be real interested in hearing some EcoBoost folks chime in about some similar mountain towing.

This is the new eco boost that I bought. Check it out pulling 9600 lbs up a 7% grade.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 08:33 AM   #27

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silvertwinkie View Post
~~

~~
Modern turbocharged direct-injection gasoline engines are amazing. The 3.5 Ecoboost delivers about 420 lb-ft (of its 470 lb-ft peak) by 1700 RPM and stays at or above that all the way up to 5000 RPM. It pulls really well in "real mountains." Between its compensation for power loss at elevation (the factor that was probably killing your Suburban's power up there) and the really broad torque curve and the 10-speed transmission keeping the engine in a good performance range it's a towing beast.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:01 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2007 27' International CCD FB
San Diego , California
^Well said.

It's about output in the end. The high end variant of the 3.5EB definitely puts out the numbers.

Those numbers are stout enough, that with enough structure, gearing, and cooling in a proper chassis, it will out-tow the beefiest diesel. Because the other factor is weight. As in power to weight. Diesels don't make more power, but are quite a bit heavier.

The diesel will be less thirsty than the gasser at higher duty cycles.

Waiting for the arrival of the new 7.0L gasser from Ford. That motor will be another game changer for HD trucks.
pteck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 11:44 AM   #29

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post
^Well said.

It's about output in the end. The high end variant of the 3.5EB definitely puts out the numbers.

Those numbers are stout enough, that with enough structure, gearing, and cooling in a proper chassis, it will out-tow the beefiest diesel. Because the other factor is weight. As in power to weight. Diesels don't make more power, but are quite a bit heavier.

The diesel will be less thirsty than the gasser at higher duty cycles.

Waiting for the arrival of the new 7.0L gasser from Ford. That motor will be another game changer for HD trucks.
The numbers I was quoting (385 hp/470 lb-ft with 90+ percent of that torque value available from 1700 RPM to 5000+ RPM) are actually the garden-variety 3.5 Ecoboost in 2017+ pickups. The HO (Raptor motor) is even more, and the insane version in the Ford GT delivers more still.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

1964 22' Safari
1993 25' Excella
Flagler Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
The numbers I was quoting (385 hp/470 lb-ft with 90+ percent of that torque value available from 1700 RPM to 5000+ RPM) are actually the garden-variety 3.5 Ecoboost in 2017+ pickups. The HO (Raptor motor) is even more, and the insane version in the Ford GT delivers more still.
pull it, and have fun.......
AFTER TAXES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 07:58 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2020 30' Classic
Frederick , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mollie11 View Post
Looking at a International Serenity 27FB. Need to know if a Ford150 3.5L EcoBoost V6 is adequate for towing.
Yes, it is adequate for towing. This is what I have and it pulls great. The only downside (I have the Platinum with towing package) is that the truck can get heavy and the payload gets small. Mine is just over 1500 lb (look on the door sticker) and while it is fine for my wife and I going for a week, it seemed a bit unhappy (squirrely) when we took our grandkids and had a lot of stuff piled in. I town in some fairly good hills (western maryland) but not like the mountains of the west! Anyway, I think the power is fine, it is the payload that you have to really evaluate (and if you get the F150 and have four people going with you, you will need to pay attention to where you put what stuff).

Have fun!
DewTheDew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #32
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
scappoose , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by pteck View Post

Yes,, ya know, it was just a few short years ago that everybody was lamenting the "death" of big-block gas engines.
But now there are several companies, (some in Europe,) that are working on really big gas engines to replace the diesel engines in trucks.
Part of this is due to a lot of the newer ships that are being built with engines that use diesel fuel instead of the old "Bunker C" fuel,, and the demand for diesel fuel is going way up, and getting more expensive,, even as the quality of the fuel is going down.
The tech, with both turbos and supercharging, along with, not only variable valve timing, but with variable duration, combined with the advancing of controls for ignition and injection are pointing towards really powerful gas engines that will still get decent mileage.
Old engines like the Ford 460, Chrysler 440, and the Chevy 454 and 496,(8.1,) may be gone,, but their replacements will be better than ever, and weigh a lot less.
rangebowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote