Old 03-18-2007, 12:53 PM   #57
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
Cracker,

Thanks for the info. on the 3500 series. Regarding the crew cab vs. extended cab, with the standard bed config. they are the same length from a wheelbase stand point. For me in daily use I have more need for a bit larger bed than for two extra full doors and slightly larger rear seat area. My wife and I (no kids) are the only occupants of our vehicles 95% of the time. For us the extended cab rear seat is adequate those few times we actually haul someone else with us. I don't think that the crew or extended cab config. will affect towing, except that the extended cab might be rated slightly higher in max tow weight due to a slightly lower curb weight.

If I've misunderstood or am incorrect in my understanding of the differences between the crew and extended cab please let me know.

Thanks,

Bill
You're right on with your information. It's just that the added expense of the crew cab is almost negligible - or at least it was in the past. The only other disadvantage I've heard about is that the lack of the center post in the extended cab affects the "stiffness" and strength - i.e. ---somewhat more prone to rattles, and not as much protection in an accident involving a roll-over. Note also that the crew cab has greatly increased in popularity as of late. With that latter comment in mind, I'll go so far as to say I'll be surprised if the extended cab pickup is still offered in 2010. The biggest disadvantage of the long bed crew cab is the obvious - which I jokingly referenced before. It takes a lot of parking space to dock it and a lot of patience/skill to squeeze in to tight camp sites with a long trailer!

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:40 PM   #58
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbkhale
Hello Bill,

My Tundra is full tow, 4wd, includes an electric tow gear switch for low gears plus a tiptronic type transmission for mountain driving, transmission cooler etc. I flip the back seats up and insert a memory foam folded in half for our golden retriever. Plenty of room in the back seat (extended cab).

I would not hesitate pulling 7300-7800 anywhere.

Like I said in the earlier post, I'm just giving my experience with the 5.7. I love it.

Best of luck with your TT experience.

RBK
When I looked at the 07 the rear seat setup looked the swame as my 03 Tundra, except bigger. I wished they had the flip down platform that GM has. On the floor under the seats I saw a black box bolted to the floor. Does yours have it, do you know what it is.

I like the idea of the memory foam, do you have a picture? My two larger dogs are now cramped into the back seat of my 03.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM   #59
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEO
I have a 2007 GMC Sierra Classic Crew Cab with the Duramax Diesel engine and Allison Transmission... I switched from a 2004 Toyota Tundra... I can not begin to explain the diffrence towing my 25' Safari. We have towed it accross the country with the Toyota and up and down the East Coast with the GMC... The GMC is amazing, the tow/haul mode is unbelivable when you are slowing down / exiting the highway / or going down steep grades...
I also have the SLT package so it is very comfortable inside and the ride is very smooth... In answer to your question about mileage we get about 19mpg (diesel) when not towing and 12 mpg when towing. The greatest improvement I found was the comfort when 18 wheelers passed me on the highway.. . I don't even notice them anymore... I feel much safer with the larger/heavier truck pulling the trailer.
Nothing like the voice of experience..for anyone considering towing a (newer) 25' or greater, the opinions on this board are overwhelming (many, mine included) echo this post; 1/2 ton (American made, foreign made, whatever...) are not the BEST choice for this type of load. We have been there with 1/2 tons, moved up to bigger trucks, and have seen the light. Untill you try it yourself, you just don't know the difference. If you are researching TV's and have a bigger/heavier AS, save yourself some aggravation, $, and possibly your life, and get the 3/4 ton. Buy right the first time. If you already have the 1/2 ton...you probably won't for long once you start to get some miles under your belt...
Can you tow 6000# or more with a 1/2 ton? Oh yes...
Do you want to? NO!

I'll quote one other board member "inadeqaute TV's are the leading cause of very expensive yard art".

There is nothing like towing with a truck that is MORE than adequate, rather than JUST adequate. I prefer to keep my family safe, be relaxed and confortable while towing the many miles we do each year. That white knuckle stuff is not for me...

Bill
Old 03-18-2007, 04:04 PM   #60
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
BillTex,

Thanks for the feedback here. I do get the feeling that most folks here lean towards the 3/4 ton tow vehicles. In the end this will most likely be my choice.
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 04:15 PM   #61
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
Azflycaster,

In the '07 Tundra that black box you saw under the back seat is a storage tray of sorts. A couple of the Tundras I looked at had it. It is actually just a black colored styrene foam tray that adds about $150 to the MSRP. It reality it was worth about $15.00.

My biggest issue with Toyota is the way that the company "Packs" their vehicles in order to make excessive profit. "Packing" is the slang term used in the auto business when lots of over priced floor mats, striping, road side assistance, fabric protection, and window etching, etc. are done to inflate the price. Most often this is done at the local level by dealers when they have a popular model in demand then they can reap in extra cash. But with Toyota the company itself does the packing at their "Ports" as their salespersons like to call them. In reality these ports are their regional distribution centers.

When I looked at the new Tundra I was disgusted to see $3k -$4k dollars worth of "packing" on all the new Tundras on the lot. The big rip off being the "extra mile package" which was about $1350.00 and added nothing tangible. Now it is possible to get an "unpacked" Toyota but you have to fight a bit with the dealer and be prepared to wait a bit or have them hit the computer and find one. A small percentage of their vehicles actually do get sent to dealers without being "packed".

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2007, 05:15 PM   #62
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Truck dealer game...

at one time i had friends in the auto dealership game... actually acquaintenances... their description of the game at that point was that the base of any vehicle is marked up between 12% and 15% depend on dealership volume and time of year. All of the add ons after that are marked up a minimum of 50% and some a lot more. When we bought out TV we bought a base model ('05 Dodge Ram 2500) for $25,000. The one they wanted to sell us was $40,000. We've bought our coach and all of the accessories for less than the difference between the base and upgraded models. With the 2500, the potential amature driver has the advantage.

one man's opinion

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #63
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
If you're waiting for a 3/4 ton Tundra, consider this from the SEMA e-newsletter today:

Nissan is not the only automaker to cease plans to build a heavy-duty pickup. Toyota was expected to launch a heavy-duty pickup in 2009 using a vehicle developed by its Hino Motors Ltd. affiliate, but that project has been halted indefinitely, according to Automotive News.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:02 PM   #64
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
fuel tanks...

Whatever you get, you need to be aware that shortbeds have smaller fuel tanks than longbeds and that may be a factor on your travels.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:16 PM   #65
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Another Dwight chipping in here. Both Dwights have one ton dually Chevies with crew cabs and long boxes. Both are super stable and wives can drive them with confidence even when faced with Interstate trailer truck traffic trying to blow you off the road. If you have limited experience towing or want your wife to drive the dually really makes it alot easier. The big duallies are not the friendlies to parallel park or shop in small parking lots in town. Gas mileage is not really that much different that the same engine in a smaller velicle. In some states your tollroad charges will be higher. You will also wear out more tires per mile.
Old 03-22-2007, 08:59 PM   #66
2 Rivet Member

2007 28' Safari SE
Fresno , California
Hi Bill:
I just pulled a 28' Safari SE from Airstream of Arkansas with my GMC 2500HD Diesel with the tow package. I talked and researched trucks for about a year and decided on the GMC. It is a 2005 2500HD. It took me another 14 months to find the AS I wanted. Our trip was a little over 1900 miles and my trip computer said I averaged right at 18 miles per gallon from Searcy, AR to Fresno, CA. We hauled the "Little Girl" through just about every kind of road condition you can image (no snow, ice, or tornados). Two lane and steep grades in AR and cities on Hwy. 40. I have an Equal-i-Zer hitch and Prodigy controller. We were only nervious in the cities where they were working on the roads and made them kind of narrow, but she sailed right through without a dent. Only the trucks doing 75 were noticed just a bit. Over all it was a great trip and real learning experience for someone new to towing. My wife drove a good deal of the time and she handled the driving just great. I am new to Airstreams and pretty green at towing, so I wanted to have the right TV to go along with the right AS. I am very pleased with the truck, the trailer, and the tow. We head for Yosemite the last weekend of March!

Just understand that I am new to towing a travel trailer and can only relate this one experience.

Good Luck!!!
"The Older I Get - The Better I Was..."
safarijim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 09:25 PM   #67
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
I agree with most of the other replies, go with a 3/4 ton. I'm using my second diesel now, wouldn't consider a gas engine again. After a poor experience with GM I would be wary of any of their specs. I discovered a Dodge could be purchased for 4 to 5 thousand less than GM products. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Dodge/Cummins product.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:51 PM   #68
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Yakima , Washington
Do not make the mistake of buying a truck for everyday driving. Buy a tow vehicle designed for MORE than you plan on towing. As you have heard so many make the mistake of..."omg...it rides too rough" so lets go with the half ton. I have a different philosohy than most here. If you have ever pulled with a one ton dually...you will never pull with anything else. It is not much more money to purchas and the added stability and contoll is ...well...unbelievable.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:31 PM   #69
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight
Whatever you get, you need to be aware that shortbeds have smaller fuel tanks than longbeds and that may be a factor on your travels.
This can be taken care of by replacing the 26/27 gal. OEM tank with a midships 45 gal. replacement tank from Transfer Flow. Since I am not a fan of the long bed PU with an ext. cab or crew cab, this is what I will do in the future.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 07:46 AM   #70
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Joshua , Texas
As DFord79 stated, the duallies offer a lot to the pulling factor. We have always pulled with a crewcab dually, it gives me the peace of mind that if I have a blowout on one of the rear tires of the truck that I can safely handle the problem with more than ample control. We don't pull with a 4x4, so the extra tires of the dually offer better traction control in wet or soft conditions. The overall length of the crewcab dually (longer wheelbase) gives a ride that is second to none. Parking the crew cab dually (whether connected to the trailer or not) has never been a problem for us, we have always had a 34' and a Hensley hitch so getting in and out of tight areas is easy.