Old 03-07-2007, 08:04 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1963 24' Tradewind
Highland , Illinois
Hi Bill,

The 28' is a good floorplan for all of the reasons you indicated. It works well for us.

Since you asked for opinions, here goes. I will mostly parrot what the others have said. We have a 28' CCD. The hitch weight is right at 1,000 Lbs as Bob suggested. Our previous T/V was a 2004 Dodge Durango and it did a decent job. However, towing with the 3/4 ton P/U makes towing so much more pleasurable. If you're planning on keeping the A/S for a long time, do your self a favor and go with a 3/4.

Air #4056

"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 08:20 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Any experienced opinions out there willing to chime in with opinions on this are greatly appreciated.

These are your words Bill but reading your comments it sounds more like you're trying to convince us to say the 1/2 ton will work. Reading the majority you'll see from here you'll see most {having been there done that} suggest a 3/4 is a better fit. That said it's your check book and certainly you can buy what you like. I just don't think your really looking for advice as much as you're looking for folks to agree with the conclusion you hae already come to.-----pieman

Old 03-07-2007, 08:32 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
Silvertwinkie,

The MAX towing package is the eqivelent of the 1500HD, at least that's what the sales guy has mentioned. It is a significant upgrade to the 1/2 tons towing capability and is the reason why the towing capacity of this particular 1/2 ton enters the range of the 3/4 ton's basic towing ability. More info is available here: GMC | ALL-New GMC Sierra: Trucks: 1500, 2500HD, 3500 Pickups: ALL-New Sierra Specifications click on the towing capacity link.

I'm in no rush (much to the salesman's chagrin) it may well be June before I do any purchasing.

Bill
Bill,
Just be aware that while the 1500hd, a good truck, is in the 3/4 ton range, the 2500hd still has a beefier frame, bigger brakes (best I remember), heavier rear end differential and has a heavier duty transmission in the form of the Allison in the Duramax. I couldn't afford the Duramax in '01 but I did notice that the 8.1 gas engine came with the same Allison transmission and 11.5" ring gear rear differential as the 3500 while the 6 litre engine did not. That was a no-brainer for me.

I know that some specs have changed over the last few years but take a close look at the different trucks to see what you are really getting. I tow an '86 Sovereign 25' and I am perfectly pleased with the 8.1 gas/Allison combination. The only way I could be any happier would be if the truck had the Duramax.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:00 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
NE , Indiana
[quote=moosetags].
I have to agree with 2air. You should wait unitil June for the release of the new platform GM 2500 pick-ups. You will be much more comfortable towing a 28 with a 3/4 ton TV. A half ton would be straining. You will really appreciate all of the heavy duty features that come on a 3/4 ton.[quote]

The launch of the HD GM pickups has already happened, it was pulled forward by about 2 months. Both the Pontiac MI and the Flint MI plants are running full line rate building the new GMT-900 Chevrolet and GMC HD pickups.
AIR 7185
redeagle313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:12 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Send a message via AIM to wannastream Send a message via Yahoo to wannastream
Truck Decisions

2air and others,

I suppose the amount we would be towing a trailer and traveled with it would be minimal at first. We would likely get to do shorter jaunts of 3 or 4 days a few times a year and maybe one long trip of a week or more each year. So initially the amount of towing would be somewhat minimal. Of course over time I think we would travel all over the country at least I hope we'd get to. My wife and I love to see new places so the potential to see varied terrain is there. But for the most part the truck would see daily driver usage and needs to be liveable.

I'm not interested in diesel because I'm not convinced it will pay off on a cost per mile basis over the live of the truck. I've been there before with diesel so a gasser is the preference and as Canoe said it is a bit of a PITA.

I have gone to the GMC web site and configured a Sierra 1500 Ext cab standard box truck with the MAX towing package, and have done the same for a 2500 series Sierra too, price wise they are very close. I just don't want to live daily with the rough treatment a 3/4 provides and the slightly higher daily operating costs if it is not really needed. Mostly it's a matter of comfort here.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far!

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
wannastream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:23 PM   #20
Silver Mist

1977 31' Sovereign
Riverhead , New York
I put about 10,000 miles on my 2500 in the past 4 months, I think it feels almost like a car, no rough ride at all.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:34 PM   #21
GStephens

1982 31' Limited
1953 25' Cruiser
Hamilton , Texas
If comfort is your goal, go with the 3/4 ton. You will find that the most uncomfortable thing in the world is towing with a tow vehicle that is not quite up to snuff. The 3/4 ton will go a long way in helping to reduce sway when a big rig overtakes you. Its larger brakes stop you quicker and thus safer. Its front end alignment is more difficult to knock out of alignment. Its radiator handles the stress of summer heat, and I can go on and on. The 28' is a handful of a trailer. It is not insignificant to pull around. For me it is not comfortable being tense throughout the whole trip and it is not comfortable sitting in a repair facility while some component that just wasn't beefy enough is being repaired. And finally, it is not comfortable a year down the road turning loose of all that extra money when trading in that 1/2 ton on a 3/4 ton that you should have purchased in the first place, but I think Pieman was correct when he suggested that while you asked for our advice, you'd already made up your mind.
GStephens
Old 03-07-2007, 09:43 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannastream
I just don't want to live daily with the rough treatment a 3/4 provides and the slightly higher daily operating costs if it is not really needed. Mostly it's a matter of comfort here.

Thanks for all of the advice thus far!

Bill
Bill,
I drive my 2500hd to and from work every day. I'd rather do that than drive my wife's Astro van because it seems more comfortable. I went from a '92 1500 4X4 shortbed regular cab and the only difference I noticed was the extra weight when going into corners. It didn't appear to be any more uncomfortable than my previous truck unless I aired the rear tires up to 80 psi unloaded (utterly senseless when not towing).

Test drive the vehicles you are thinking about and then pick the one you feel will work for you.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:46 PM   #23
_

. , .
hey bill

in the opening post, you described why the 28 is such a nice unit...

very well reasoned too.

and the walk around bed, distinct lounge area, dinette/galley and complete bath.

well, it is hard to pack all of those features in a smaller length...

but given this is your first rv/trailer...

and you only plan 20-30 days/yr usage in the beginning....

perhaps you need to reconsider and go smaller/used/near new.

something that already has the initial depreciation...

and the 23-25 is so much better suited to 1/2 ton haulers...

then IF you really really love airstream travel the upgrade (tv and trailer) will be less painful...

just another idea for relaxed and safe travel....

2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
Truck Decisions

Cosmotine,

Thanks for your input here, since you are dealing with a 28W already I appreciate you chiming in here and telling me how it is. The issue of a 1000 pound tongue and you feeling more comfortable in a larger tow rig is dually noted.

Mike Lewis,

Nope, I've not decided yet, for real. I still think I have a bit to learn since I've never trailered anything. The cost is not too big a concern as the difference between a basiclly equipped SLE1 Sierra 2500 and a upgraded MAX tow equipped SLE1 Sierra 1500 is nil, they basically cost the same thing.

The issue too much information. I have two coworkers who each tow travel trailers one coworker has an Airstream which is a Safari 25' and he tows with a '06 Ford 1/2 ton 5.4 Triton crew cab with tow package and says he has no issues towing his Airstream. The other guy has a '05 2500HD series Chevy crew cab with the 6.0l V8 he tows a 26' SOB. Now he has no trouble towing this trailer either. However, I've ridden in and driven both of these guy's trucks and the 1/2 ton Ford is much more comfortable and gets a few more miles per gallon in daily use. So between what my coworkers are telling me and the information I've been reading on this forum I remain a bit confused still.

Of course I don't yet know how a new '07 2500 series GMC will ride as there are none available just yet in my area. I suspect I need to go check these out in closer detail.

Thanks all for all of the help so far! You are really a great bunch of folks!

Bill
How I treasure every minute, being part of, being in it, with the urge to move on"
Old 03-07-2007, 09:54 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Used to tow my 25FB with a 1/2. Lotsa white knuckle moments. Spent a lot of time fretting over conditions and being stressed.

Got a 3/4. White knuckles gone. I am now as relaxed in the pick up as I was when I drove Semi's.

I can't stress enough that having the stability and braking along with the upgrades that come on a larger truck will keep you hauling that trailer instead of it being yard art.

Also barely noticed a difference in comfort between the two.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 09:57 PM   #26
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
An F-250 is an option as well, 3/4 ton with the towing package. With the diesel you can you up to 15,000 lbs. The Gas 10,100. I had a F-250 Gas 5.4L 3.73 rear and it did ok on the flat ground but struggled out west. I am very happy with Daisy. My Diesel truck gets better fuel milage than my Gas truck did. THe F-150 max towing is 8500 with the 5.4L 3.73 rear.

A F-250 Diesel/automatic has the down shift feature as well. They call it torque shift. Works great! Once I set the speed going down hill it holds it there.
Get the larger truck...

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:12 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
N.E. , Texas
2air,

We've not completely ruled going with a smaller AS (or SOB). However, we are not fans of any of the AS 25' layouts nor is the 27' FB layout really appealing to us. We don't particularly care for the corner bed and corner bath layout that is so common in many AS models. Also, the layout of the dinette and sofa/bed in the FB models leave them feeling cramped to us. If we decided compromise and live with any of these design features that we don't particularly like we would likely do so in the new 23' layout. True it has the bed/bath arrangement that is not so desireable to us and it has a dinette and sofa/bed layout that is simiar to the FB series but the overall packaging of this little unit is really efficient and it would be really towable and easy to live with. So I guess we could suffer along in a 23'

But in reality we probably would not buy any brand new AS, at one point we considered it and did look at them in Rockwall, TX but with the runaway increases in AS pricing and the noticable depreciation over the first couple years we figure we'd be crazy not to pick up a good, near new unit. I've already seen several very good deals on 28W models which were literally 10's of thousands of dollars lower than an identical new unit actually I can probably find a good used 28W and a tow vehicle for about the MSRP of a new 28W CCD. Don't you think so?

Thanks again!

Bill
Old 03-07-2007, 10:18 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Truck Decisions

Greetings Bill!

I don't think that you would regret going with the 3/4-ton. Neither of my coaches approaches the weight of a new 28' Airstream, but my best recent tow vehicle has been my '99 K2500 GMC Suburban. My Suburban's immediate predecessor was a K1500 Z71 Chevrolet Club Cab pickup with the heaviest trailer towing package offered in '95.
  • I don't normally trade vehicles more than once every ten years or a bit more, but the 1/2-ton pickup simply was not up to my expectations in regard to how it handled even my 6,100 pound '64 Overlander International.
  • The 1/2-ton pickup actually achieved lower fuel economy than the Suburban both solo and when towing -- and the Suburban has a 7400 VORTEC as opposed to the K1500s 5.7 Liter V8.
  • The 1/2-ton (even with its premium Leather interior with top of the line bucket seats) was a choppy riding, trailer pounding, truck that was not happy towning, nor was it happy being operated solo on roads having any kind of surface irregularity.
  • I spent more on regular maintenance and repairs on the 1/2-ton pickup in its first three years and 48,000 miles than I did on the Suburban during its first six years and 125,000 miles.
    • Brake pads and shoes on the 1/2-ton K1500 only lasted 20,000 to 25,000 miles while the Suburban typically runs in excess of 70,000 miles on a set of brakes.
    • Tires on the K1500 were worn out at 35,000 miles on the K1500 -- the second set of premium truck tires had less than 25% tread wear left when I traded it at 48,000 miles, and I have been able to get at least 80,000 miles on the second and subsequent sets of premium light truck tires on the Suburban.
    • The K1500 had to have new shocks at 35,000 miles while I didn't have to replace the shocks on the Suburban until it was at 98,000 miles.
  • I am really sold on the durability gained by going with a 3/4-ton tow vehicle -- my Suburban will be turning 180,000 miles later this month and I have no plans to replace it until it has at least 300,000 miles.
    • The only down-side on my K2500 Suburban has been its 4-wheel drive system. I rarely need it and have only really tried to use it a half-dozen times and three of those uses resulted in catastrophic failure of the electronic transfer case control module.
    • If I were buying a new tow vehicle today, it would be another 3/4-ton Suburban/Yukon with the largest available gas V8 but without 4-wheel drive.
      • In the nine years that I have owned my Suburban, the 4WD electronic transfer control module has needed to be replaced seven times.
        • GM paid for the replacements four times under either the original 3-year/36,000 mile warranty or the replacement part warranty of 12-month/12,000 miles.
        • The service 4WD soon light illuminated last month, and I have asked my dealer to disconnect the electronic controls for the 4WD and I'll just forget that it was ever there -- the $750 cost for the part and repair with the knowledge that it will likely be good for only a couple of uses before it has to be done again just cuts into my fuel budget too much (the current part turned 12-months during the first week in December 2006 and my dealer doesn't believe that he will be able to get the regional office to extend the warranty on the part).
      • Beyond the 4WD issues the Suburban has been absolutely trouble-free with excellent durability for brakes, tires and other systems.
Both the K1500 pickup and K2500 were serviced by the same mechanics at the same garage where my family has traded for nearly 50 years. I am confident that the repairs were necessary when specified on both vehicles, and it helped me to reach the conclusion if I can't have a new, full-size, body-on-frame Cadillac or Oldsmobile convertible with big-block gas V8 and rear-wheel-drive as my tow vehicle; the 2500 series Suburban is the next best alternative.

Good luck with your research and decision!

Kevin

WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote